GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 35,969 comments
Regarding penalties, here's a funny little trick:

If you get a .5 track limit penalty on the final lap, and it appears likely that you won't serve it before the finish line, it gets rounded up to 1 second at the end.
So if the car or cars behind you are within a second, they will be awarded with your position.
Why not get yourself another .5 penalty if it can help you to stretch the gap to more than a second?

A 1.0 penalty and a .5 penalty count the same at the end of the race. :D
Doesn’t the penalty just double regardless of the time? I honestly don’t know.

Decided to practice a bit for next weeks’ Daily Race C @ Bathurst, found myself a public lobby and went ahead with the race.

It was a standing start (?) at the tail end of the grid for me, and I was in 1st amid all the chaos by end of Lap 1!

Here is Lap 1 of the race

Ended up 3rd after the 2 A+ Genesis’ got by me. If this “practice” race is anything to go by,

1. One would like to start as high up the grid as possible
2. The recent Metas (GTR, Genesis) will continue to dominate as they will be able to pick up way better in those uphill straights and corner exits (Look how the Genesis pulled away from me on the first straight
3. It would be hard to advance in the race without weather/multiple mandatory tyre compounds
4. Luck is one of the deciding factors of the outcome of the race, it could either go like my lap one above or I could have ended up being pushed wide like any of those spinning cars being at the wrong place at the wrong time

Really hope PD will switch things up a bit for next week.

If you get a .5 track limit penalty on the final lap, and it appears likely that you won't serve it before the finish line, it gets rounded up to 1 second at the end.
So if the car or cars behind you are within a second, they will be awarded with your position.
Why not get yourself another .5 penalty if it can help you to stretch the gap to more than a second?

I thought if you don’t get to serve your penalty before checkered flag, you just get that penalty time + an additional 0.5s added to your race time?

Edit: Nevermind saw Famine’s reply above.

Last edited:
Okay, race B, I don’t know how but I made a TT time of about 1:58:500 late night and started pole after that. Maybe it was too late or the pole… two races finished one in last place and one 14th or something 😂 I prefer starting 10th and ending 5th obviously 😂

Oh btw, that time was about one second faster than my fastest 😂

Last edited:
Okay, race B, I don’t know how but I made a TT time of about 1:58:500 late night and started pole after that. Maybe it was too late or the pole… two races finished one in last place and one 14th or something 😂 I prefer starting 10th and ending 5th obviously 😂

That's easy to happen when you run a unicorn QT. You find yourself in the midst of people who are used to driving at that pace, and you get pushed around a lot. But pay attention to how they get in position to push you around, and you can often cut them off, even if it's not the best racing line.

They aren't attacking you, they just run that pace and as a new guy in the lobby (this is me) you have to start thinking about realistic finishing positions, space for passing or being passed.

Mostly the A lobbies aren't "dirty" they are just fast with good car control. Us coming up probably aren't as good car control wise or awareness wise.

I'm 666th in the world and I join a lobby as a B rated driver I'm 9th....with the top 5 being 1 second quicker...

They aren't attacking you, they just run that pace and as a new guy in the lobby (this is me) you have to start thinking about realistic finishing positions, space for passing or being passed.

Mostly the A lobbies aren't "dirty" they are just fast with good car control. Us coming up probably aren't as good car control wise or awareness wise.

I'm 666th in the world and I join a lobby as a B rated driver I'm 9th....with the top 5 being 1 second quicker...
Wow🥴 Today is a new day, just did a race B, started 3rd, finished 2nd and got a clean race bonus, maybe I should leave it that way 🥴😂 I’m afraid I can’t 😂 it’s too seducing but yes, as every week, when I get comfortable with the track, I like it. I hope I’ll get to DR B soon… otherwise, I’m lower lobbies the chance is higher for a too 5 or even a win 😂

I wish I could find these A lobbies you’re referring to! This week the ones I’ve been in have been murder! Other than the first few racers up front, I’m not seeing anybody with car control in Race B. Obviously, ymmv, but I really don’t like doing sprint races for this fact, and I don’t like doing Gr4 races, which means I get about one week in two or three where I actually like the race.

I think maybe it’s time to focus on the upcoming World Series races instead. PD seems determined to make the dailies as boring as possible.

Yes I know, it’s just sometimes hard to accept to be before people who are obviously faster than you 🥴🤷🏻‍♂️ had one on my race today too. Was in front of me, better QT but I realised in turn one he’s way slower than me. Gladly I managed to pass clean

Decided to practice a bit for next weeks’ Daily Race C @ Bathurst, found myself a public lobby and went ahead with the race.

It was a standing start (?) at the tail end of the grid for me, and I was in 1st amid all the chaos by end of Lap 1!

Here is Lap 1 of the race

Ended up 3rd after the 2 A+ Genesis’ got by me. If this “practice” race is anything to go by,

1. One would like to start as high up the grid as possible
2. The recent Metas (GTR, Genesis) will continue to dominate as they will be able to pick up way better in those uphill straights and corner exits (Look how the Genesis pulled away from me on the first straight
3. It would be hard to advance in the race without weather/multiple mandatory tyre compounds
4. Luck is one of the deciding factors of the outcome of the race, it could either go like my lap one above or I could have ended up being pushed wide like any of those spinning cars being at the wrong place at the wrong time

Really hope PD will switch things up a bit for next week.

I thought if you don’t get to serve your penalty before checkered flag, you just get that penalty time + an additional 0.5s added to your race time?

Edit: Nevermind saw Famine’s reply above.

Omg, if it will be that chaotic I need to think twice if I even give it a try, since I have only two more days before I am travelling anyway for a few weeks…

Edit: I doubt it is a grid start, that should calm it down a bit

we don’t know yet if tuning is allowed again? The setting for the Genesis helped me a lot

Last edited:
I wish I could find these A lobbies you’re referring to! This week the ones I’ve been in have been murder! Other than the first few racers up front, I’m not seeing anybody with car control in Race B. Obviously, ymmv, but I really don’t like doing sprint races for this fact, and I don’t like doing Gr4 races, which means I get about one week in two or three where I actually like the race.

I think maybe it’s time to focus on the upcoming World Series races instead. PD seems determined to make the dailies as boring as possible.
I get that entirely.

But one make races are fun, everything is level. It's just your driving that separates the men from the boys so to speak.

I've stayed away from B this week, not even put a time in which as you all know I do all of them at least time trial wise.

Apart from Wednesday all of the lobbies at top end B bottom A have been fine, I've started at the sharp end though most of this week so further down the grid I'd imagine it gets a little more sweaty.

But honestly it's from my perspective, nice to have a single make race, I do wish tuning wasn't a thing and the tires cooling but a 11 lap race in touring cars with a pit stop is my element. Everyone's mileage varies on these things though. For me I found it fun.

Started my climb from DR D to C last night. It's hard to stay focused when your skills are higher than your ranking. So I end up trying different cars to see if I can beat my Q time and if I do then I will use it in the next race. It would be nice to reset your Q time so that if you want to change cars you don't get a false starting spot based on your other Q time. So here's one of my races from last night. I decided to showcase all of the drivers in this one as it would be boring to watch me just turn laps.

It's quite disconcerting to see my top-150 quali time in Race A during this time when I'm the slowest I've been since this game released... It means there really is very little interest in racing any car with a bit of personality, and proves that the majority of serious sim racers would rather deal with the much-maligned BoP of the race car classes.

My DR has been plummeting from the brink of A+ before Christmas (oh, the hubris!), now desperately clinging onto A. My time in the RX7 doesn't reflect my race pace, and I usually yield first place and let them drive into the sunset. Any gains in position have been due to surviving the turn 1 mash-up, the delta informing me for the rest of the race that I'm not on pace at all.

The field spread of A+ to C rated drivers in the same 12-car lobby is quite a sad sight.

I don't know quite where I fit in.

Aaaannnnnnd then I looked up this week’s Workd Series event . . .
But honestly it's from my perspective, nice to have a single make race, I do wish tuning wasn't a thing and the tires cooling but a 11 lap race in touring cars with a pit stop is my element. Everyone's mileage varies on these things though. For me I found it fun.
Gr4 at Suzuka for this week’s World Series. So basically a ten lap one make. This should be right down your alley!

For me I was hoping the series would give me a break from the boring weeklies, and right out of the gate they give us something even worse! Thanks PD. I think I may pick up a different game this week.

Does the game not add time to the 1.0 second penalty.

Aaaannnnnnd then I looked up this week’s Workd Series event . . .

Gr4 at Suzuka for this week’s World Series. So basically a ten lap one make. This should be right down your alley!

For me I was hoping the series would give me a break from the boring weeklies, and right out of the gate they give us something even worse! Thanks PD. I think I may pick up a different game this week.

I don't think the Mazda will be op on that race. The Supra, Ferrari and McLaren seem to be good choices.

I don't typically do them. I've done 1 on my main account and won it and I did one in the M4 for here (GTP and finished I think 9th or 7th)

Is is gonna be Ferrari or 650 for those races. Possibly some outliers but for consistency I'd go with those two.

I like racing the choice of machine is kinda secondary. It's one thing to like driving and wishing things were different it's another to just rock up and race in the best tool for the job.

3 dailies race B in DR C (nearly B now) and all top 5 ☺️ no tuning necessary 🥴 I love that car and with that I’m already unique on the track 🤷🏻‍♂️

Attachments

• IMG_6361.jpeg
    IMG_6361.jpeg
    178.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6362.jpeg
    IMG_6362.jpeg
    195.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6365.jpeg
    IMG_6365.jpeg
    187.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6366.jpeg
    IMG_6366.jpeg
    157 KB · Views: 6
The new races are here,

Race A- Watkins Glen Short(5 laps) Masarti Morak

Race B- Grand Valley South Reverse(6 laps) Group 4

Race C- Bathhurst(10 laps) Group 3

Oh my, it's gonna be bloody carnage at the Mountain of Doom. I'm sure people will be racking up penalties hitting the walls. I'm hoping Races A and B will be more smooth. LM gave me a headache I had to quit racing there Saturday afternoon. Several B drivers ruined some of my races there, I got ill about it.

I mean why run into me when there's plenty of room to go around!

Last edited:
Hells yeah!
I've been waiting for the combo of Gr.4 at Grand Valley South Reverse since the track was released. Definitely my favourite!
Can't wait to see the havoc at turn 1 on lap 1😂 It's definitely a tricky one being a blind corner!

I know, I'm hyped up about it too, as a matter of fact I'm going to start qualifying at GV in a few minutes. I'm sure people will be pleased about it, LM was a nightmare last week.

Oops, I misspelled it. Well I'm not perfect. So what cars are you guys going to use at Grand Valley? I'm renting a GT-R car. It seems as a majority of the aliens used this one. Idk how it suits well to the track but I'm giving it a go.

Last edited:
Overall I had an interesting week in the Daily Races. After taking quite a battering in my first few days of Race B, I was much more successful at the weekend, finishing in the top half more often than not. I think much of the improvement comes through better race management through the week. I have to remind myself that having only just started online racing in December, this is my first rotation of tracks, whereas a lot of drivers I’m competing against, will have months or years more experience than I, and each week they’re refreshing their track knowledge, while I’m learning fresh.
Also this week, I’ve taken the time to learn to ‘left foot brake’ which I’ve always avoided, having driven manual cars for over 30 years, it didn’t seem right, but I realised it was costing me time transitioning from pedal to pedal.
This week I’ll focus on my Suzuka quali on Monday and Tuesday, ahead of Wednesday’s Nations Cup race, then maybe Bathurst for the remainder.

Last edited:
Back