GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 36,718 comments
I took last week off because nothing interested me race wise. While Bathurst might be fun, I can't make a decent lap at this time. It may be due to I haven't raced there in a while. I might just turn laps this week and not jump online as those wall penalties are brutal. The Grand Valley track in reverse may be one of the worst things I've ever raced on. It's got a terrible flow
and is not for me. Just my opinion.

Well that's another week of daily's done. I went from a C to a D and back again. I enjoyed tuning different cars just to see what else could be a contender. I like to run the car that not everyone will try. Now we have a new set of races and I'm looking forward to see what I can run. I hope that you have enjoyed my video diary of my hunt of a different car.

Just got my first GT7 sport mode win.

18de82fc60c17-screenshotUrl.jpg
18de8330b9b41-screenshotUrl.jpg

My time doesn't really count here. I only did a handful of laps after the change at 1:30am in the morning. I originally tried the AMG SLS which was fun, but then saw the 650S trending on the leaderboard and instantly got new fastest lap.

I like the idea of this combo as a TT. It's a challenge just like the current Ford Roadster TT but racing it? I'm not sure. I fear for calamity on turn 1 and total carnage through the rest of the esses there after. Not sure I want to race that.

Also not sure I want to race Brathurst either. That took so much effort to gold the TT and I just would not be good in a race. I may just skip this week and focus on single player.

I'm beginning to think I'm getting bore with the daily races. I believe my issue is that I hit my natural level. I really plateaued and if anything, I'm beginning to regress a bit. I get motivated as I see DR gains but that's stopped so the motivation is waning. Where I do still see gains is my UK account and that is where I'm spending some time now. Ironically, it won't be long before that reaches the main account DR level as well....

Last edited:
The corner after the tunnel in Race B is total chaos. I had not a single race where I didn't go off there at some point. It's so awkward to drive. I liked the last layout we had there recently way more.

OK, so we all go into turn 1 at Mt Panorama... some tit goes off circuit... bounces off another car... ends up on my front bumper and then proceeds to exit the track, stage left. Result, I get a 5 second penalty because of the stupidy of that moron who thought he could win the race in turn 1 :banghead:

And how about the 1.5 second penalties dished out if you hit a wall on top of the mountain? Not to mention the fact that if you need to extricate yourself from a difficult position (3 point turn - or more) you will get 1.5 sec for each hit of the wall. I saw someone with 4.5 seconds because of that very situation.

Oh, and why are we put in with B, C or worse SR rated drivers from the group above if there are not enough entries from our own DR group? It's nothing but a **** show so from now on, I will quite whenever that happens - it's not worth the effort or fun to play with a bunch of dirty muppets.

PD are having a laugh. Seriously, I don't think they have any idea of how to fix the bl**dy mess they've created.

OK, so we all go into turn 1 at Mt Panorama... some tit goes off circuit... bounces off another car... ends up on my front bumper and then proceeds to exit the track, stage left. Result, I get a 5 second penalty because of the stupidy of that moron who thought he could win the race in turn 1 :banghead:

And how about the 1.5 second penalties dished out if you hit a wall on top of the mountain? Not to mention the fact that if you need to extricate yourself from a difficult position (3 point turn - or more) you will get 1.5 sec for each hit of the wall. I saw someone with 4.5 seconds because of that very situation.

Oh, and why are we put in with B, C or worse SR rated drivers from the group above if there are not enough entries from our own DR group? It's nothing but a **** show so from now on, I will quite whenever that happens - it's not worth the effort or fun to play with a bunch of dirty muppets.

PD are having a laugh. Seriously, I don't think they have any idea of how to fix the bl**dy mess they've created.
For what it's worth, quitting means you lose a chunk of SR. Quitting every time you get a poor SR match will very quickly ensure you never get a good SR lobby again.

I feel your frustration, I had similar a few weeks back a Suzuka. Lap 1 turn 1, driver in front turns to much at T1 is completely on the grass on the inside of the turn scraping along the barrier, then blindly lunges back on to the track at the apex of T2, just as I arrive having taken the correct line, making contact with their front left wing. Result - I get a 4 second penalty. Their penalty for unsafely re-joining the circuit - nothing. Why the system didn't ghost them as soon as they left the track, I'll never know.

One thing I have noticed, is that the number of incidents I find myself in, decreases as the week goes on, as all drivers become more aware of the likely spots for contact, and adapt our driving accordingly.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, quitting means you lose a chunk of SR. Quitting every time you get a poor SR match will very quickly ensure you never get a good SR lobby again.
Thanks. And yes I am very well aware of the ramifications of quitting. I don't believe it's the SR rating that's penalised. I thought it was the DR and as I can maintain a good DR, a few quits won't do that much damage.

I feel your frustration, I had similar a few weeks back a Suzuka. Lap 1 turn 1, driver in front turns to much at T1 is completely on the grass on the inside of the turn scraping along the barrier, then blindly lunges back on to the track at the apex of T2, just as I arrive having taken the correct line, making contact with their front left wing. Result - I get a 4 second penalty. Their penalty for unsafely re-joining the circuit - nothing. Why the system didn't ghost them as soon as they left the track, I'll never know.

One thing I have noticed, is that the number of incidents I find myself in, decreases as the week goes on, as all drivers become more aware of the likely spots for contact, and adapt our driving accordingly.
True, things do tend to settle down as the week goes on.

PD really need to address this penalty system or 'ghost' when idiots re-join. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. And I think that inconsistency is a real problem.

What a bloody joke... tried again and carnage even before turn 3 & 4. I get nailed for 3 sec due to usual idiots and then get smashed to bits by 3 cars before turn 5. No ghosting, no nothing. 5th to 16th in less that 100m 😂🤣

I should square a lot of the corners off more and take my own advice in race to brake earlier.
Every time I try that I get rear-ended. It’s great for time trial, but if I try behave sensibly in these sprint races I get murdered by people who don’t acknowledge other driving styles other than hot lapping, and certainly don’t acknowledge other cars on the track.
Thank you, PD ,for allowing B and C rated drivers (SR) in the same lobbies as those who actually try to race fair and have the highest possible sportsmanship rating and etiquette!
Race A this week is amazing fun and an easy way to pad your SR. I was all the way back up after a few races.
I took last week off because nothing interested me race wise. While Bathurst might be fun, I can't make a decent lap at this time. It may be due to I haven't raced there in a while. I might just turn laps this week and not jump online as those wall penalties are brutal. The Grand Valley track in reverse may be one of the worst things I've ever raced on. It's got a terrible flow
and is not for me. Just my opinion.
Same for me on every point! I thought I’d practice for GTWS instead, but that’s a no-strategy sprint as well. Just a bad week altogether.
I'm beginning to think I'm getting bore with the daily races. I believe my issue is that I hit my natural level.
Of course you’re getting bored. We all are. PD refuses to keep things interesting every week. Maybe they’re trying to corral people into the World Series events this week, but those are even MORE boring than the dailies! I swear they’re collecting data and trying to find the point where we all quit.

I like the idea of this combo as a TT. It's a challenge just like the current Ford Roadster TT but racing it? I'm not sure. I fear for calamity on turn 1 and total carnage through the rest of the esses there after. Not sure I want to race that.
I am actually surprised by the lack of carnage from that first corner. Honestly though, every race I have had there has been extreme clean, fast paced and close. Perhaps a little hard to overtake in some sections but I've really been loving it so far.
I've been using the ferrari and giving it to all the mclarens!

Race A this week is amazing fun and an easy way to pad your SR. I was all the way back up after a few races.
Was poking around running some laps at B and C last night and thought "Hey, I have a Merak sittin' in the garage collecting dust, why not put some miles on it?" Wow am I glad I did, the car is amazing to drive. It doesn't add up, though. 216HP saddled with more than 3,000lbs should NOT be this much fun to drive. There's got to be some violations of basic physics hiding in there. 🤣

Race A is a blast, plain and simple. Sure there's only 6 - 8 people left on the track by the time you're done, but if you can manage to stay in the pack it really is a stellar run. Highly recommend folks take at least one swing at it. 👍

:cheers:

I tried to races at Bathurst yesterday as a test for the upcoming Manufacturers Cup race that will held there. I'm considering signing with Renault so I was driving the RS.0.1 for both races. I knew going in that it isn't a great car for that track, but I wanted to see how it performed against some human drivers in other Gr.3 cars to see just how bad it really is.

First race: Mixed A/B lobby. Qualified P8 with a time in the 2:05s, I think. Better than I expected. I started the race by getting T1 all wrong and going wide off the track, dropping me back to P11. For first few laps, I was picking up positions from drivers who crashed and giving them up to faster cars on the straights. I pitted on lap 3, which gave me a bit of space to drive out of traffic. Meanwhile, the car was trying to kill me every time through The Cutting and The Dipper. I'd done most of my practice for Manu Cup on RH tires and wasn't prepared for the oversteer from the extra grip. Eventually the car succeeded, and I drove into the wall at The Cutting. Gave up a few positions, and a lot of time getting back on the track. The rest of the race was similar to the start. I was picking up spots from crashers and penalty takers, and giving them back on the straights. Finished in P12, I think, one ahead of last place with three DNFs.

Second race: Mixed A/B lobby. Improved my QT to 2:04.7ish prior to the race. That got me a P11 start. This time I managed to get around the track once before killing myself with a spin out of McPillamy Park, immediately followed by another crash at The Dipper, and a 1.5 barrier crash penalty to boot. By the time I got myself sorted, I was so far in last place that it took me until lap 8 to even see another car. I did eventually overtake them for a P11 finish (with three DNFs, again). And by some fluke, a CRB!

I couldn't come to any really strong conclusions about the car. Aside from The Cutting and The Dipper, the car handles nicely and feels pretty good along the top of the mountain. But in the second race, even with plenty of clean air and no traffic, I was still losing time to the leaders by seconds every lap, so it is safe to say I am slow driving it there. How much of that was the car, and how much me? I don't know.

My advice: Don't drive the Renault in this race. Also, don't drive like me.

Last edited:
I tried to races at Bathurst yesterday as a test for the upcoming Manufacturers Cup race that will held there. I'm considering signing with Renault so I was driving the RS.0.1 for both races. I knew going in that it isn't a great car for that track, but I wanted to see how it performed against some human drivers in other Gr.3 cars to see just how bad it really is.

First race: Mixed A/B lobby. Qualified P8 with a time in the 2:05s, I think. Better than I expected. I started the race by getting T1 all wrong and going wide off the track, dropping me back to P11. For first few laps, I was picking up positions from drivers who crashed and giving them up to faster cars on the straights. I pitted on lap 3, which gave me a bit of space to drive out of traffic. Meanwhile, the car was trying to kill me every time through The Cutting and The Dipper. I'd done most of my practice for Manu Cup on RH tires and wasn't prepared for the oversteer from the extra grip. Eventually the car succeeded, and I drove into the wall at The Cutting. Gave up a few positions, and a lot of time getting back on the track. The rest of the race was similar to the start. I was picking up spots from crashers and penalty takers, and giving them back on the straights. Finished in P12, I think, one ahead of last place with three DNFs.

Second race: Mixed A/B lobby. Improved my QT to 2:04.7ish prior to the race. That got me a P11 start. This time I managed to get around the track once before killing myself with a spin out of McPillamy Park, immediately followed by another crash at The Dipper, and a 1.5 barrier crash penalty to boot. By the time I got myself sorted, I was so far in last place that it took me until lap 8 to even see another car. I did eventually overtake them for a P11 finish (with three DNFs, again). And by some fluke, a CRB!

I couldn't come to any really strong conclusions about the car. Aside from The Cutting and The Dipper, the car handles nicely and feels pretty good along the top of the mountain. But in the second race, even with plenty of clean air and no traffic, I was still losing time to the leaders by seconds every lap, so it is safe to say I am slow driving it there. How much of that was the car, and how much me? I don't know.

My advice: Don't drive the Renault in this race. Also, don't drive like me.

@Tidgney recommended an FR car for Bathurst in his latest weekly races video, MR's are bit of a handfull over the mountain apparently.

@Tidgney recommended an FR car for Bathurst in his latest weekly races video, MR's are bit of a handfull over the mountain apparently.
Good advice, for sure. Almost all the cars that were overtaking me were FR cars, mostly Genesises and AMGs.

In my second race, there was one particularly adventurous driver in a Ford GT who started just behind me and blasted past on the Mountain Straight like I was driving a mobility scooter. It looked like it was also a bit of a handful because he was bouncing off the walls all the way across the top of the mountain.

I've been sticking with the 911 everywhere/exclusively as a personal choice thing (focus on one car and suck less with it, is the goal) and was surprised at how stable it is at Bathurst. Not sure if that's just from driving it so much, though. You can't go full dumb with the throttle coming down the mountain, but that holds true for most cars here.

Only mention as I was bummed when Tidgney called that out. But I also think he mentioned that, if you insist on running MR here, the Porsche is the way to go. I ran a handful of laps last night and am in the 2:03's pretty easily. Not sure if I'll race this week but I'm definitely going to be putting in some laps.

Grand Valley is a blast but there's no way I am competent/confident enough to race there this week.👍

:cheers:

Also not sure I want to race Brathurst either. That took so much effort to gold the TT and I just would not be good in a race. I may just skip this week and focus on single player.
well, you had lots of practice on the track :) Seriously, you shoudl give it one try, iirc you had a good time in the tt, it will place you in the top half of the grid. The key there is drive clean. I've had two CRBs and, not a coincidence, finished P5.

However, this morning's race was an absolute clown show! I couldn't get away clean, hit someone at the cutting becasue they were taking avoidance action that I didn't realize in time. Yesterday, I got a dang pit penalty - another tip - practice that pit entry, it is ugly.

Well, I have to say @Nebuc72 I really commend you on such a tremendous time for Grand Valley this week! Took me about 10 laps of extreme concentration to jump into the 1:09:5's right now and finding another 0.15s would probably take me into my 40's - I turn 39 tomorrow 😂

Optimal says 1:09:4 is possible but screw that, I don't want to die trying, especially since I can do a 1:05:00 and shock the entire community by going 3 seconds faster than P1 - won't matter! I would still only last 2 corners as so far, starting in P7, P3 and P2 has resulted in the same thing, finishing in last place from being punted OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN!!! ⚰️😡

This is my best lap and sector info...

1709055403665.jpeg
1709055413509.jpeg

** UPDATE **
Because I am doing the opposite of becoming wiser as I grow older, I thought to myself "Maybe it was just bad luck?! Maybe a 4th race would not turn out like horse vomit?!"

I am dumb. First part I don't think was my fault, 2nd part I let things get to me and made a mistake.

Nice!

Last edited:
Just to recap, when I started posting on this forum I was to be honest pretty rubbish over the last year or so I've learnt a lot from everyone that posts. Fast or slow it doesn't matter if we share.

So I took a step looked at my race numbers. And a few things fell out of this for me. (I almost exclusively do TT or daily races now)

That I have improved quite considerably at GT is quite a shock to me personally, I always used a wheel with oldskool PC racing (GTR2 or GTL anyone or random Live For Speed)

My GT was always controller.

Even with sport I can show a few races of me playing at my dining table with gclamps holding an old kitchen door front to the table so I didn't damage the table and also give the G29 something thin enough to clamp to. Pedals were wedged against 2 chairs to the wall under the TV...stable was not my set up.

A play seat later (ball ache dragging that out of the way every night to spend family or wife time....ball ache dragging it back out...but I did it :)

Learning a lot from you guys and the streamers and drawing on my own driving experience I invested in a few things (Ali tube rig a few better wheels over time)

I started to really enjoy my racing, daily A was ranked then and more junior cup focused for a while before becoming the thing it is now. Started doing daily B it was a struggle for a couple of weeks to quite honestly just be any good but practicing CE's and time trial I got better at controlling my car...then I did a few of the interesting daily C's (gr4 at willow in the TT fuel saver anyone? :))

I have all this gear, I love to drive and drive fast I did TT's, races and really enjoyed a very large majority (4,400 of them!)

Why am I waffling on about all this? If you made it here it's because.....

I'm sitting here wondering how I can go faster, how many more laps am I gonna do before I get the perfect one.

Glen, you are 533 in the world. Get a grip this time last year you were 25,533 each week.

So the point of my diatribe is merely that it's hard to recognise how far you've come if you don't stop and think about it. I wish I had when I'd improved earlier.

Its just a journey, and for what it's worth 533 I'm still a B rated driver with over half of my finishes clean races and 1/4 in the top 5 🤷‍♂️

@GrumpyOldMan

Edit: for grammar and punctuation

Last edited:
Finally DR A after 239 races. Currently position 412 on the leaderboard in race B at 1:09.706. I really like the B race this week, nice and shifting flow, hard penalties, challenging to overtake (this particularly suits me - I'm usually the one getting overtaken).

6 laps here equals same amount of sweat as 6 laps on Spa.

The first turn is really difficult to master for me, not so much on QT, but in the race. My GT-R is slower on the straight than the Metas, so I need to brake later than the pack not to get pushed out, but so far I've survived.

I think the stint as an A driver will be short but sweet.

Just to recap, when I started posting on this forum I was to be honest pretty rubbish over the last year or so I've learnt a lot from everyone that posts. Fast or slow it doesn't matter if we share.

So I took a step looked at my race numbers. And a few things fell out of this for me. (I almost exclusively do TT or daily races now)

That I have improved quite considerably at GT is quite a shock to me personally, I always used a wheel with oldskool PC racing (GTR2 or GTL anyone or random Live For Speed)

My GT was always controller.

Even with sport I can show a few races of me playing at my dining table with gclamps holding an old kitchen door front to the table so I didn't damage the table and also give the G29 something thin enough to clamp to. Pedals were wedged against 2 chairs to the wall under the TV...stable was not my set up.

A play seat later (ball ache dragging that out of the way every night to spend family or wife time....ball ache dragging it back out...but I did it :)

Learning a lot from you guys and the streamers and drawing on my own driving experience I invested in a few things (Ali tube rig a few better wheels over time)

I started to really enjoy my racing, daily A was ranked then and more junior cup focused for a while before becoming the thing it is now. Started doing daily B it was a struggle for a couple of weeks to quite honestly just be any good but practicing CE's and time trial I got better at controlling my car...then I did a few of the interesting daily C's (gr4 at willow in the TT fuel saver anyone? :))

I have all this gear, I love to drive and drive fast I did TT's, races and really enjoyed a very large majority (4,400 of them!)

Why am I waffling on about all this? If you made it here it's because.....

I'm sitting here wondering how I can go faster, how many more laps am I gonna do before I get the perfect one.

Glen, you are 533 in the world. Get a grip this time last year you were 25,533 each week.

So the point of my diatribe is merely that it's hard to recognise how far you've come if you don't stop and think about it. I wish I had when I'd improved earlier.

Its just a journey, and for what it's worth 533 I'm still a B rated driver with over half of my finishes clean races and 1/4 in the top 5 🤷‍♂️

@GrumpyOldMan

Edit: for grammar and punctuation
Dude - you use the G29?!?!?! If you do, holy monkey you should be proud of just how good your skills are!! I used the G29 for about 6 months and best I could do is hover around the 800 - 1100 rankings, depending on the track and car combo. I only started getting into the 500's since getting the DD Pro so again, impressive stuff 😎

It's nice when once in a while, like this week, I am really close to the top times but in all honesty, what I love is the banter and learning from each other! People such as yourself, kowalski, nebu, adx, normsk, grumpy, talon and C Clayton from a while back (and so many others) helped me improve a lot and that is something I appreciate and enjoy way too much 🤣

I am hoping to get the load cell as I think I have arrived at my limitations (or close) with just the wheel and rig and braking properly is where the real gains in time are. Again, hats off to all of us for pushing each other to become better and enjoy this sickness/ passion we have of the game even more! 😉

PS - I saw you gain 0.1s but, in the worlds of a 6 year old girl, (imagine my hands on my ears, eyes closed and tongue sticking out):

"Na, na, na, na, na, naaaa! You can't catch me!" 🤣😝

1709065009276.png

Dude - you use the G29?!?!?! If you do, holy monkey you should be proud of just how good your skills are!! I used the G29 for about 6 months and best I could do is hover around the 800 - 1100
No I use a DD pro, I used a G29 to get to a top 2/3000 time. Had a TGT 2 for a while and that got me 145th in the Veyron at Fuji and moved to a DD pro a couple of months ago, just as my driving time spiked and decreased for life reasons.

Just reflecting on what 2 years of GT has bought me....smiles and cries, smiles and cries ;)

Back