GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 30,065 comments
That's a proper good week. B and C are really really good there. Great tracks, good tyres, great cars.

A is a bit of a shame to have gone to the ways of "unranked Gr.4 race" because to be honest, what's the point? Just make it ranked or make it a fun combo. Standard combos for an unranked race is just a bit pointless all around.
But ignoring the waste of a ranked race, it's an alright combo.

Going to have so to some custom races and see what race is the best for for me next week. I'm not very strong at Spa and don't know the track for Daily C at all. I don't think I'll have the time needed to learn two new car/track combos but am not sure yet which one I'll go for. I'm leaning C based on car choice but I probably need to get good at Spa anyway so now might be the time to get serious about it.

Getting ahead of myself though, still have today free for some races and am looking at possibly making it out of DR C and into B if I can keep it together, progress bar already about 3/4 full. Going to try the Mustang and might run with that, getting a bit bored with the 911 after so many layouts on Catalunya in it.

Last edited:
Going to have so to some custom races and see what race is the best for for me next week. I'm not very strong at Spa and don't know the track for Daily C at all. I don't think I'll have the time needed to learn two new car/track combos but am not sure yet which one I'll go for. I'm leaning C based on car choice but I probably need to get good at Spa anyway so now might be the time to get serious about it.

Getting ahead of myself though, still have today free for some races and am looking at possibly making it out of DR C and into B if I can keep it together, progress bar already about 3/4 full. Going to try the Mustang and might run with that, getting a bit bored with the 911 after so many layouts on Catalunya in it.
Spa is pretty straightforward once you've done a few laps, and the Gr2s are great fun there, so much grip and speed.

Well. this is interesting..

Why I do declare this brings me out of dailies retirement! LOVE Spa and GR2 on softs there should be wicked good racing. Watkins Glen long or short is always amazing racing and I'm looking forward to being bumped off circuit exiting the carousel and getting a penalty but what a track! GR4 puts on amazing racing there and it'll be great fun to see what cars are the meta there now that 4wd is nerfed.

Even the Deep Forest Reverse could be interesting with the mandatory stops and tire options.

GG PD

That's a proper good week. B and C are really really good there. Great tracks, good tyres, great cars.

A is a bit of a shame to have gone to the ways of "unranked Gr.4 race" because to be honest, what's the point? Just make it ranked or make it a fun combo. Standard combos for an unranked race is just a bit pointless all around.
I wonder if it's further BOP testing for the GR4 BOP. We've done watkins a lot with the old BOP so throwing the circuit in but with the short course instead of long could be getting PD more data. Either way it will be good racing, I hope :D

Spa is pretty straightforward once you've done a few laps, and the Gr2s are great fun there, so much grip and speed.
What he said but also a downtuned GR2 car works great for grinding the Spa 1 hour single player race for credits so learning the circuit and car might make sense if you're into credit grinding.

Last edited:
A little bit late, but here's a replay of my qualifying lap from last week's Race A. I spent most of the week racing from the back to avoid as much carnage as possible at T1 (not always successfully), but wanted to see how fast I could go. I legitimately surprised myself by setting a time good enough for 15th globally with a 1:53.8. I don't normally like low-downforce cars, and Monza is typically a track I never bother with outside of championship events, but I made an exception for the chance to drive a '60s F1 car (something I've been waiting for this franchise to add literally for years), and it paid off.

Last edited:
Just sent my TGT2 off for a repair, dusted off the Playseat with the G29 and true force brake mod (ok it's not like the load cell I was using but beggars and choosers etc)

What surprised me is 2 things:

- I currently* was quicker in the rig with much better kit.

- with a rickety Playseat and the weakest FFB and mediocre pedals I'm .2 off my best time....

It's clear that setup maybe fractionally helping with a fixed rig better wheels and pedals. But going back to my old stuff I seem to make them work just as well.

What personally I took from that is practice and patience are what makes me quicker, the kit just makes it more repeatable and realistic not faster in my case.

I've noticed there's a bug in replays where the custom liveries don't always show
I wonder if this is a PS4 issue?
Why I do declare this brings me out of dailies retirement! LOVE Spa and GR2 on softs there should be wicked good racing.
A week or two after I complained we never get to use RS's in Daily Race B. Perfect timing!
Unfortunately the only 'group 2' we'll get at Spa is a grid of identical silver number 2's.

Physically and metaphorically.
Ah, I see what you did there... 😂
Yeah sure is, could be a CLK-LM fest Daily B perhaps 🤔 I don't mind if that's the case. Car feels great, with proper V8 howling 😎💪
Can't wait, even though I kinda suck on that track. I like the track, for sure, but I'm not consistent at all.

Just sent my TGT2 off for a repair, dusted off the Playseat with the G29 and true force brake mod (ok it's not like the load cell I was using but beggars and choosers etc)

What surprised me is 2 things:

- I currently* was quicker in the rig with much better kit.

- with a rickety Playseat and the weakest FFB and mediocre pedals I'm .2 off my best time....

It's clear that setup maybe fractionally helping with a fixed rig better wheels and pedals. But going back to my old stuff I seem to make them work just as well.

What personally I took from that is practice and patience are what makes me quicker, the kit just makes it more repeatable and realistic not faster in my case.
I’ve seen vids of “pros” trying budget wheels and getting similar times.

I am not a pro. It's showed me that the tools don't maketh the man.

Apart from the pedals, weak FFB none of that is actually making me slower. So I'm guessing experience, track and car knowledge are the key thing.
Well that is good to know and bad to know! LOL.

Good to know that I need not invest more after just "investing" in a play seat and G29/load-cell set up. I'd love a proper rig/seat and high-end DD wheel/pedal set up but my spouse would probably knock my head off. I happen to like my head! :D

Bad to know, as it confirms that I just suck and I can't blame my equipment. :bowdown:

Well that is good to know and bad to know! LOL.

Good to know that I need not invest more after just "investing" in a play seat and G29/load-cell set up. I'd love a proper rig/seat and high-end DD wheel/pedal set up but my spouse would probably knock my head off. I happen to like my head! :D

Bad to know, as it confirms that I just suck and I can't blame my equipment. :bowdown:

Yeah, well now my wife is asking me why I "invested" all this money and am not actually that quick....I have no answer just shame. Just shame 🤣

I am not a pro. It's showed me that the tools don't maketh the man.

Apart from the pedals, weak FFB none of that is actually making me slower. So I'm guessing experience, track and car knowledge are the key thing.
Agreed, sure it's nicer to have something you enjoy using more but when it comes to actual speed on the track the gear doesn't really matter all that much. One benefit to having better gear though is you are more likely to use it, getting that seat time in.

@TechnoIsLove

Tell your nasty twin brother Bruce to eat that:

View attachment 1239730
:D
Got close a few times, at one point I was 0.4 better than current time but drove straight into that annoying barrier right after the final turn at the start of the straight 🤣

Off to a work thing but will continue chasing you tomorrow 🤣

Attachments

• 186f15b253d56-screenshotUrl.jpg
    186f15b253d56-screenshotUrl.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 5
Agreed, sure it's nicer to have something you enjoy using more but when it comes to actual speed on the track the gear doesn't really matter all that much. One benefit to having better gear though is you are more likely to use it, getting that seat time in.

I think that is the reality, you do the best with what you have.

I got lucky having the time and space to upgrade and again you are right I make much more time now I have space to do it. Before it was dragging the seat out of the way so we could watch tv.

Now I have a "place" I enjoy it. But going g back has made me remember how fun it was to have the ironing board out as my makeshift rig.

I now have a good setup but this was me a few months or so ago

Edit for grammar

Attachments

• 66364D02-A0BF-4BD2-BFAE-A72E6CC11899.jpeg
    66364D02-A0BF-4BD2-BFAE-A72E6CC11899.jpeg
    256.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I think that is the reality, you do the best with what you have.

I got lucky having the time and space to upgrade and again you are right I make much more time now I have space to do it. Before it was dragging the seat out of the way so we could watch tv.

Now I have a "place" I enjoy it. But going g back has made me remember how fun it was to have the ironing board out as my makeshift rig.

I now have a good setup but this was me a few months or so ago

Edit for grammar
I used to have mine attached to one of those fold out food trays. I had to use 2 weights to hold the tray down otherwise the force feedback would manhandle the tray around. Your setup reminds me of this.

Isn’t there someone here who goes by Captain Slowly in the Americas lobbies? It’s can’t find the member at all but I swear I just read a post from him or her.

@GrumpyOldMan and @LVS_1986 thanks for the props to the pain. I gambled a bit and lost, but while I was stuck trying to get going again (and dying a little inside) I was just thinking I had to send it in. It was too ridiculously bad not to.

And for the follow up, I had similar incidents at different corners over the next 2 laps as well. Then finished because I'm ridiculously stubborn about finishing anyway, but drove back up to p9 despite being 40 seconds behind the field after lap 12. Sometimes it pays off. Sometimes you're still just a silly moron.

Then finished because I'm ridiculously stubborn about finishing anyway, but drove back up to p9 despite being 40 seconds behind the field after lap 12. Sometimes it pays off. Sometimes you're still just a silly moron.
That's absolutely amazing, coming back from 40 seconds behind. And I think if you've got that kind of ability, then I would never call you a "silly moron" for refusing to give up.
Isn’t there someone here who goes by Captain Slowly in the Americas lobbies? It’s can’t find the member at all but I swear I just read a post from him or her.
I've raced in a bunch of lobbies with him (it's a hard name to forget). I don't think I've seen him here, though.

I just did a search, and it's possible he's @steven.

@GrumpyOldMan et al
I ran some B races today with the plan of making some recordings to show my driving and the sorts of incidents I kept experiencing. However I managed to get in very clean lobbies! The first two races were B and A drivers and I started near the front and finished P2, P3 and maybe P5 or something. After scratching the bottom of A, my score went up comfortably into A and I raced some more in all-A lobbies. The first couple of races were excellent with some of the same people from the previous races. We ran bumper to bumper for much of the afternoon and I realized that if I can trust the drivers around me I was able to be competitive, or at least not be horrible.

What I also discovered is that I needed to tweak my wheel settings after some firmware updates. My steering is now much more comfortable and I was able to recalibrate my brakes, which were killing me! I thought I had been trail braking and tapping the brakes, but they were going full-on every time I touched them! That alone would explain some of the weird rear-end episodes.

Regardless, I was pretty high on the racing and I was learning, at least a little bit, how to run in a crowd of big dog A+ drivers!

But then I pushed my luck and went maybe one race too many. I got murdered again in turn 1, so bad that I got repeatedly hit and spun by every car going by. Why no ghosting? I have no clue! So after getting a wall penalty and having to do an eighteen point turn to get pointed in the right direction, I ran all five laps in last place.

I decided to try one more race, and it was an ok showing with a very strong lobby, finishing P8. And then I realized I had done 999 races, so of course I wanted to do 1,000 in a lobby where I (mostly) was able to trust the other drivers. This race I was able to hang on for P5!

So all the troubles I was having I think may have been solved simply by waiting for everyone else to figure out the track. That, and avoiding the after school lobbies! I didn’t suddenly become a genius, and my qualification time was exactly the same, but I was finally able to get a grip on a few things.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I won’t bother with any video, but I do have this:
A32597B7-F4D8-4F26-A864-BAC4F2550E88.jpeg

Disagree concerning A. What’s really the issue with having one unranked race? The "standard combos" as you call them when they’ve appeared in A have actually been quite fun. Sometimes one just wants to race and can’t be bothered to put in the energy in setting a good qualifying time.

Back