GT7 Expectations - Same Old or New breath of life?

• Thread starter AXEofGOD
  • 126 comments
AXEofGOD
I love GT! But the fact remains that with increased competition and lack of execution from PD over the years(GT5P, postponing GT5 sixteen times, and the obvious cash-grab that GT6 was), the new game really needs to be another GT3:A-Spec in almost all aspects to give this ol' dog a breath of new life.

I don't have all the time-line facts down but here are some alarming sales stats from your beloved franchise.

GT: 10.95 Million copies sold worldwide
GT2: 9.49 Million copies sold worldwide
:cool:GT3: 14.98 million copies sold worldwide
GT4: 11.66 million copies sold worldwide
GT5 first 10 weeks = 5.9 million, next 47 weeks 1.4 million, 7.33 million sold over the first 5 quarters and totaling 10.52 million copies sold worldwide.
GT6 first 10 weeks = 2.2 million copies sold & just under 800k for the year 2014. 2.98 total for the first 5 quarters on the shelves.:crazy:

GT5P: had about the same number sold as GT6 through the first 5 quarters.

GT6 hasn't even sold as many copies as GTPSP yet. This is very disturbing as a GT fan. If PD can't get the market to buy-in for GT7 the future of the franchise may be a lot more bleak than I once thought.

I own everyone of these games except PSP. I had the highest expectations for GT5, the delays, the prologue, everything made me believe this game was going to be the Greatest of all time. Sadly it did not meet my expectations but still a fine game that I enjoyed thoroughly. I lowered my expectations of GT6 drastically. Sadly it has been far less than satisfactory for me:irked:. I like the tracks, that's about it. So for GT7 I don't even know what to think. Can it get worse? :nervous: Ugh, I hope not.

GT3: A-Spec was a ground-breaking industry-revolutionizing game that is hard to match. It single-handedly sold millions of PS2 consoles and sold more copies than any other non-nintendo video game that preceded it! It did so well for many reasons, of which marketing how revolutionary it was and combining it with the console did help. However, the biggest thing that made it such a huge success was because it was a fantastic and completed game out of the box. Everything was finished, clean, and better than anything we had ever seen.

Are those days gone or can PD regain that magic with GT7?

Ok, ok, so of course they can, but do you think they will? What also disturbs me is that the GT7 thread is open and people are champing at the bit for it already. The kaz Q&A is shut down, we all know what we want to see, what we would like to stay the same, and what needs a whole rework. And finally, where do your expectations lie for whats to come? HINT: I expect a PS4/GT7 Console package in 4th Quarter 2016.
:cheers:

As a long time GT fan who still doesn't feel particularly compelled to buy GT6 yet, I actually have quite high hopes for for GT7, here's why:

- Large, fundamental sound improvements are confirmed to be in the works. Sound is quite possibly the biggest and most common complaints about the Gran Turismo, so a big improvement in this area will definitely help the series.

- Whilst most other game developers will be using this generation of consoles' increased power to boost their series' framerates up from 30fps to 60fps, and their resolutions from 720p to 1080p, GT5 and 6 were already running in 1080p60, so all of the PS4's increased graphical capabilities can be put in to improving the lighting model, weather effects etc, so it's likely that we'll notice a larger jump in graphics from GT6 to GT7 than most other series will see.

- As we already know, the premium cars and many of the tracks from GT5/6 were designed to be detailed enough for the PS4, so we will have an absolutely huge selection of highly detailed cars and tracks right from the start.

- The improved course creator (which we should see in GT6 at some point too) could be revolutionary, and with the PS4's powerful processor and 8gb of RAM to play with, the courses could potentially be quite huge.

Also I expect we'll begin to see the first GT7 trailers at either E3 or TGS this year, with a release date somewhere between Q4 2015 and Q2 2016.

Last edited:
- Whilst most other game developers will be using this generation of consoles' increased power to boost their series' framerates up from 30fps to 60fps, and their resolutions from 720p to 1080p, GT5 and 6 were already running in 1080p60, so all of the PS4's increased graphical capabilities can be put in to improving the lighting model, weather effects etc, so it's likely that we'll notice a larger jump in graphics from GT6 to GT7 than most other series will see.

That's not entirely true. GT5 and 6 run at a reduced resolution that is scaled to actual 1080p. Nor does it run at a solid 60fps, there are serious drops when non-standard conditions are in play.

GT may not have as big a step up as some developers to reach 1080/60, but it's not the case that it will require no extra power. They still have work to do on resolution and framerate (especially framerate).

I expect GT7 to be at least a small revolution to the GT series. The one that can make you feel "this is not the GT i know", but in a good way.

60 fps and steel steady framerate.
But..
I would be happy if we got some information about GT7's situation now. No cryptic hype, no promises, just simple clear news at this point.

I guess I might be different, and no disrespect to others, but to me although it's nice to have those graphics I can't even play the racing games I have at 1080p on my laptop, but they fun that's the keyword for me fun.

There is a balance that's the problem with GT(Now so far) it lost it's balance after GT4(Dare I say as GT4 came out). You'll see most of my posts complaining about the large number of cars and that's the biggest reason I say GT lost balance.

I'd rather they bring back one-make races, improve weather to the point it effects races. At least last I remember rain didn't truly do much.

Just for an example I know I go back to this a lot. Playing F1 2012 what blew my mind is that in one race it'd be sunny, and over time it began to get cloudy they even mentioned it was like a 60% chance of rain, so as the race went on the rain began to pour, but this is the part that blew my mind only in spots at first it really made me change my flow. I'd barrel down a straight without a care until that happened, and then it began to pour down, and made the wheels slippery so now I was actually in danger of losing the race badly luckily I think in that race I finished Top 8, but no where in GT do I remember anything like that.

Those are the type of improvements I'd rather see 1080p and 60fps is nice, but I'll be more willing to not sell back and game when it's fun, and races are unpredictable even in Codemasters GRID 1 from 2007 I've seen cars randomly mess up at a turn and spin out, or trying to fight each other and cause crashes.

f1 2012 isnt the best example of a good weather system. it was so badly broken that the wet track didnt affect grip at all for lap after lap, then all of a sudden it would go from dry grip to full wet grip and all the ai cars would crash lol. it also wasnt dynamic weather like it said on the box. I know this because I used to restart the race when I knew what lap the rain suddenly affected the track surface (usually 5 or 6 laps after the track actually looked completely wet), and I would pit the lap before, meaning I would win easily when the AI all crashed mid way through a lap.

They may have patched it later, I dunno, as I sold it a week after buying it because it had so many bugs that it was simply unplayable. F1 2014 is the only one I have played that isnt plagued with game breaking bugs, but its still nowhere near as good as Gran Turismo 6 in anything other than AI (GT Ai is truly awful, cms isnt great, but it would be hard to find a game with AI as bad as GT lol)

I think that the main reason that GT6 isn't doing very well compared to the other games is solely that it's on PS3, and a lot of people have changed to PS4.

I also think that the series is on life support. :( Without the huge car list (if the Standard cars ever go out of the series altogether), I think that Gran Turismo would die out, unless PD pulls off something big and innovative.

I also think that the series is on life support. Without the huge car list (if the Standard cars ever go out of the series altogether), I think that Gran Turismo would die out, unless PD pulls off something big and innovative.

I'm not sure the car list is keeping it afloat. I like lots of tracks and GT keeps building their track library. Besides, I think most purchasers of GT6 are return buyers who know the car list is a farce. I agree with the ps4 cutting into gt6 sales, which only further exacerbates how much PD/Sony need GT7 to be a major success in marketing strategy and quality gameplay. If the numbers for GT7 fall flat....I don't even want to think about it.:nervous:

For GT7 I expect something more or less like GT6. No major changes to the series. More of the same.

That said since a gazillion lot of people purchased a PS4 already, GT7 will be a commercial success regardless the quality. A new GTAcademy here some dlc there and there you go 5 milions copies sold.

From what little I have observed, I think that PD is going to make a noble effort at turning the form around from the mediocre product of GT6. With the PS4, I think they will finally do what they have always wanted to do (not sure what that is, but will be interesting) and will catch us by surprise. I don't see them going with their same old ways, not after the 5th and 6th installments.

f1 2012 isnt the best example of a good weather system. it was so badly broken that the wet track didnt affect grip at all for lap after lap, then all of a sudden it would go from dry grip to full wet grip and all the ai cars would crash lol. it also wasnt dynamic weather like it said on the box. I know this because I used to restart the race when I knew what lap the rain suddenly affected the track surface (usually 5 or 6 laps after the track actually looked completely wet), and I would pit the lap before, meaning I would win easily when the AI all crashed mid way through a lap.

They may have patched it later, I dunno, as I sold it a week after buying it because it had so many bugs that it was simply unplayable. F1 2014 is the only one I have played that isnt plagued with game breaking bugs, but its still nowhere near as good as Gran Turismo 6 in anything other than AI (GT Ai is truly awful, cms isnt great, but it would be hard to find a game with AI as bad as GT lol)

Well I got it last year Christmas was on sale for like 12.49(Steam) was reading up on reviews of F1 2011-2013 found that 2012 had best overall reviews cause 13 was more of the same, but honestly at this point that was the first racing games outside of Arcade(NFS and Midnight Club LA on PS3) and Gran Turismo that I had played, but I'm technically comparing it to GT6 which weather system that I know of while it's decent nothing ground breaking.

A new GT3? GT3 wasn't exactly a big step up in the series. What we're looking for is a gigantic step forward like GT4 was. Kaz promises the PS4 brings lots of potential.

GT3: A-Spec sold more copies than any other play station title the preceded it, more than any non-grand theft auto, and is the highest selling GT game to date. And I remember a certain 2006 release date for GT5 that missed by how far? So with Kaz I have written off anything he says, and go by what I see first hand.

For GT7 I expect something more or less like GT6. No major changes to the series. More of the same.
That said since a gazillion lot of people purchased a PS4 already, GT7 will be a commercial success regardless the quality. A new GTAcademy here some dlc there and there you go 5 milions copies sold.

5 million in the first year would be ok, not great. To be great it needs to sell 10 million in the first 60 weeks.

A new GT3? GT3 wasn't exactly a big step up in the series. What we're looking for is a gigantic step forward like GT4 was. Kaz promises the PS4 brings lots of potential.

:confused:...................................................You know what when most people say that all I think about is the car list that's basically the reason you said that.

5 million in the first year would be ok, not great. To be great it needs to sell 10 million in the first 60 weeks.
5 millions is still enough to pay PD's bills make Sony decently happy and keep KY thinking he is god-like developer.

5 millions is still enough to pay PD's bills make Sony decently happy and keep KY thinking he is god-like developer.
If all GT7 sells is 5 million, Kaz's head will be on the chopping block. GT6 is a big blow but they can chalk it up to being on the old console with the new one out, same game as GT5 so cheaper to make etc. There is no excuse on the PS4 for not selling them in the traditional 10 million unit range, over the life of the game.

...............Hmm time for my two cents..
PS4's apparent power and ease of development, to me at least, are irrelevant to making a great game.
If you give Uwe Boll $100 Mil and a script by David Koepp and Robert Orci, plus ILM's expertise, plus Baz Lurhman's custom/set designers, Mr. Boll will still manage to cook up a stinker.
Not saying Kaz is talentless like Boll is; what I am saying here is power of PS4 may grant extra legroom but if you don't utilize it correctly, you'll still end up with another GT6. To have a decent AI, it should be better to throw the old system outta window and start from scratch. Sound? Physics? Standard-to-Premium debacle? Yeah, extra power may help, but at the end of the day.....you might end up with:

If all GT7 sells is 5 million, Kaz's head will be on the chopping block.

I doubt it. Japan has a very different approach to it's executives than North America. He has a life sentence.

There is no excuse on the PS4 for not selling them in the traditional 10 million unit range, over the life of the game.

Oh definitely! Usually its a Q4 release. To me there is no excuse, it should have 10 million through the first 5 quarters, and should reach the 13-16 million range over it's lifetime.

If all GT7 sells is 5 million, Kaz's head will be on the chopping block. GT6 is a big blow but they can chalk it up to being on the old console with the new one out, same game as GT5 so cheaper to make etc. There is no excuse on the PS4 for not selling them in the traditional 10 million unit range, over the life of the game.

Actually maybe 1 that is unlike PS2/PS3 transition where PS3 was a true upgrade over PS4 I sort of look at PS4 like I do my current cell phone the LG G3 I had a G2 a year ago dropped it in water was really wanting the G3 end of story got it, but hilariously enough I've been disappointed not that it isn't a great phone, but it's barely an upgrade over G2 was and lost some features that I couldn't live without.

Bringing that back around to PS4 as of right now the only ground breaking feature I've seen is Play-share or Share-play whatever it is, and that's not saying much to get someone to pay $400 for a new console it's got to be worth that much, and right now steadily some people are leaving PS3, but it's a lot slower than one would think.

That could be the only excuse for GT not being in the 10 mil ballpark plus even on an older console with a bigger base it couldn't even crack 5 mil which is pretty bad.

.....That could be the only excuse for GT not being in the 10 mil ballpark plus even on an older console with a bigger base it couldn't even crack 5 mil which is pretty bad.

Agreed. But I think hard-core fans saw GT6 for what it was, a cash grab, and they stayed away(well some did, not me. I'm a patsy). The marketing for the game was so poor it blew me away. Just look at how Sony wasn't prepared to back it with marketing Dollars/Yen/ect. I knew then that it was going to fall flat, I just didn't think it would be this bad:ill::ouch:. I will look to see how many resources Sony throws at gt7. The one thing that will make GT7 sell a ton of copies is coupling it with the PS4 console itself. I can assure you if they sell them together for Christmas 2016 that 15 million copies over its life should be the low-end goal. If it doesn't couple them together..:nervous:..yikes, bad news for us hard-core fans.

...............Hmm time for my two cents..
PS4's apparent power and ease of development, to me at least, are irrelevant to making a great game.
If you give Uwe Boll $100 Mil and a script by David Koepp and Robert Orci, plus ILM's expertise, plus Baz Lurhman's custom/set designers, Mr. Boll will still manage to cook up a stinker.
Not saying Kaz is talentless like Boll is; what I am saying here is power of PS4 may grant extra legroom but if you don't utilize it correctly, you'll still end up with another GT6. To have a decent AI, it should be better to throw the old system outta window and start from scratch. Sound? Physics? Standard-to-Premium debacle? Yeah, extra power may help, but at the end of the day.....you might end up with:

On the whole I think you are right. However there is one area where targeting the code at the PS4 should make a difference.

Because the PS4 architecture is back in-line with PC,s & xBox it should provide PD access to a much larger pool of experienced developers and allow them to use production tools they have expertise with.

I have little hope left for the future of GT. In my opinion their whole methodology and approach needs to change for there to be any chance of them making a decent game.

So you'll either get more of the same within the next two years.
More of the same within the next 5 years (yes I remember the wait for GT5)
Or a new breath of life in 10 years.

I know I sound like a glass half empty kind of person, but I can only use their past form as a guide to future performance. Also speaking as a Software Engineer, it is obvious there are some serious flaws in their methodology.

May not be business as usual with the job ads and FiA collaboration.

I also remember we were supposed to be making/building our own car. So, if that means this:
76b78c7d0130a6ac6bd10dfd10a125ef.jpg

Grafting on a front clip or actually creating a vehicle from default parts, I'd like to see PD make it happen.

Last edited:
I want GT7 to wow me like the first 4 did, across the board. Very subjective I know, but I think many felt underwhelmed with GT6 at launch.

GT5 was beautiful in some parts and infuriatingly inconsistent in others. GT6 now has the wealth of content, but still to me feels fundamentally the same 'game experience' as GT4.

It'll be the same old story like it was with GT5 and 6, but a few notches worse with likely more broken promises, more baffling design decisions, even less features, more microtransactions and more players forced to play how PD wants them to.

I don't suppose it's any surprise that I expect great things from GT7. Collectively, we've asked for the entire automotive world on a Blu-Ray platter, and I'm probably the most guilty of this, so who knows what we'll ultimately get. But it's been pointed out numerous times that competition among racing games is stiff, especially from That Other Game, and no dev wants to settle for second rate, especially one with PD's talents and legacy. So I expect that a few people here will be quite happy, a few. ;)

I entered in the "playstation world" trought de GT Series. I bought a Playstation ONE only for playing GT 1 &2. Then bought a PS2 only for the purpose of playing GT3 and then GT4. The same happened with PS3 / GT5 & GT6. I saw how the series "evolved" trought the years, and how the competition became more intense. Today, I get the feeling they move very slowly in developing anything.
I really hope a massive overhaul in some aspects of the game, so the GT Series returns to the place once occupied.

I leave a link to a recent article i read about this:
http://www.teamvvv.com/en/news/comments/GT7-Prolonged-where-was-Gran-Turismo-7-at-E3-2015

GT5 and GT6 are missing something huge. What is that you ask? Life. I haven't seen life in a GT game for a decade. What gave life to GT1-4? The answer may surprise you.

What gave GT1-4 life was the music. For example while playing GT5 and 6 I changed the menu and racing music because, tbh, it was just plain bad. Remember the fast upbeat menu music from GT3. That's something that GT7 needs. Obviously there is more but that's something that a lot of people tend to over look. Play GT6 with the default music and really listen. Some songs are OK but most SUCK!

With a bit of luck, the poor sales of GT6 compared to GT5 might give them a shock into and giving the gane a mighty shake up. Certainly, they seem to be going about it already, with the new audio system and the new lead designer for audio. Kaz isn't an idiot, or he wouldn't have made GT the success story it has (largely) been. I do think, however, that the series' future hangs on GT7 being a brilliant game.

There were a lot of problems with GT5, but it sold massively, thanks to hype and promising trailers (plus the pedigree of the development team as a whole), but when GT6 rocked up with the same sort of issues, people clearly didn't go for it. If they didn't go for it a second time, they won't go for it a third time if GT7 still has the same old issues, it'll flop again.

To me, it's a no-brainer that GT7 needs to be tiptop. I just hope Kaz realises this, and I'm sure he will make GT7 the best it can be - the hardware certainly won't be keeping them back.

Back