GT7 experience better with PSVR2 or TV?

• Thread starter digitalic
  • 33 comments
I was thinking about getting a new PS5 and picking up GT7 as I am a former GT enthusiast. Played 1-6 in the past. Now that PSVR2 is here and fully supported in GT7 I was wondering whether the overall experience would be better using the PSVR2 or on a traditional big screen 4k TV?

Would love to here your thoughts on this, and based on feedback from the community it'll help me better decide on whether to get the PSVR2 or an LG OLED C3 TV to fully enjoy the game.

Lastly, what would be the ultimate setup for the game? If you go PSVR2 route, I'm assuming playing with the PS headset for the full immersive sound experience, and if you go the TV route then a fully dedicated receiver and at least a 5.1 speaker setup for the best experience, and throw in a playseat, and dedicated wheel and pedal setup? I have an old Logitech G27 with H-pattern shifter, but I sadly don't think it'll work with the PS5 console.

With big screen vs PSVR it kind of comes down a little bit to preference.

VR makes it a little bit more difficult to just jump in and do a couple of laps in my opinion. The extra effort to put on the headset and then being fully isolated from everything around you is often what keeps me from using VR.

VR mode is missing a few hud elements (mainly gap times) which can be a drawback when doing online races.

Also some people do get sick from VR. You will most likely get used to it but you may not be able to play longer sessions.

Lastly, depending on where you live and if you have AC or not: it can get really uncomfortably hot and sweaty in that Headset, especially in the summer.

All that being said: There is really nothing like it. VR is the most immersive way to play the game. It really adds a lot to the experience. Upgrading to a fancy big TV doesn’t really compare.

On the topic of Setup:
For sound I’d actually recommend any pair of good headphones regardless whether you use VR or play on a screen. If you’re going the VR-route just make sure the headphones actually fit comfortably with the headset.

A wheel is certainly the thing that IMO will give you the biggest boost in enjoyment of the game. The G923 is a good entry option but, well it comes down to what you want to spend.
Seat is preferable. But keep in mind the space it needs and the time it needs to setup and store if you’re not using a dedicated space for a dedicated sim rig. A decent wheel stand can certainly do the job here, is faster to setup and store away.

Lg c2 here in living room but an old 45 samsung full HD on ps5 playseat.
I think al lot before buy between psvr2 or a new 4k oled.
Psvr2 win.. and the old samsung an every 2d games are off since then. (No man's sky is a Gem but the new gt 1.40 wipe it off)

Buy a new 4k oled now is no more a wish. 😀

Seems like the final verdict here is to go the PSVR2 route then. Which is a pro in itself. Instead of investing in a nice TV, I will use the money to buy the PSRV2 instead and with the money leftover may invest in a wheel setup.

Is it possible to play GT7 with the PSVR2 in bed comfortably with the dual sense controller?

I have a 72” lg g3 which I adore. However, when it comes to gt7, it’s only used for replays.
Likewise. My ps5 is connected to a 77” LG C2 and it’s fantastic but it’s too big for GT7. For that I run to a second 40” TV that is perfectly set up in front of my rig. I use my receiver, which has two zones, to control which tv the PS5 output goes to (77”, 40” or both).

I have not done VR yet but I would start with the TV. If this is just for GT7 get something smaller (42” or less and set it up real close to you).

If you play other stuff, watch movies etc, get the bigger tv and also the VR.

Or the trifecta. Big tv, smaller tv, hdmi splitter and VR. It’s only $$$ and you can’t take it with you when you’re dead! 😁😁

Last edited:
I plan to put the PS5 in my bedroom, and I already have a small 48" 1080P TV in there. So I think playing GT7 with PSVR2 will be the better choice.

The PSVR2 and PlayStation 3D Pulse wireless headset feel a lot like a crash helmet to me.
The VR experience is incredible. You will be able to utilize depth perception in the races.
It introduces some issues you might not think of, though. With headphones you are totally isolated, as in your house could burn down and you wouldn't know it.
There is a VERY annoying issue with GT7 blacking out as you move your head around. I think if you move your head into part of the car, that triggers the blackout.
The lenses are mounted solid but they are stupid fragile. HonsVR makes prescription lenses as well as non prescription "lenses" to protect the built in lenses. Get them.
Also keep the VR headset stored in a dust free environment. The box is decent for this.
You'll want an extended warranty on the PSVR2. The technology has yet to reach a price point where $600 buys you a solidly built unit.
Know that there is a rumble motor in the PSVR2. If you have neck issues, turn it off.
On the sickness part...in game there is a car called the F1500T/A. It's a very capable car, not the fastest but close, it lacks that stupid halo found on modern formula 1 cars, and is available fairly early on. 1.5 million credits gets you the car and everything you will ever need for it; you can win the credits in Circuit Experiences.
Get it and take it for a spin around any track at about 50 miles per hour til you get used to VR.
If Formula 1 isn't your thing, get the BAC Mono instead and test drive it at Trial Mountain. You can see for miles out of either one and you can see most of the car itself. The KTM XBow is another good choice to start out VR with.
Older cars that roll a lot will have you puking at first.
There's a lot to look out for, but the experience outweighs it and simply cannot be put into words.
The PSVR2 alone could render Forza 8 obsolete.

been racing since gt1. got wheel a year ago and got really good at it. that by itself is a huge improvement over controller....
then
......i get a 65"oled tv. even better improvement.

then

i get psvr2. it hands down is esential to fully experience this game. the depth perception and ability to turn your head and follow the apex and look way up the road is so good its insane. if you ever spend anymore money on the game or any game, buy the psvr2. then add prescription lenses for the vr even if you dont think you need them, and itll be like car heaven, i dont regret it at all. the only thing holding it back from beong almost too real is the graphics. theyre good, but in a few more generations of ps7 maybe, itll be as real as real i think. and then if you have extra money you can get a motion rig...if ps5 works with it to add some g force and suspension feedback.

Worth every penny!

I played a lot of racing games on consoles and nothing like it compares to the VR experience on PS5.

Worth having a look through the past 10+ pages in the VR2 thread in this forum mate too for further insight. Of course most of us in there are pro VR2...

IMO the main thing is that it takes you closer to driving IRL, using similar senses, skills etc, more so than on flat screen mode. For me its much easier to judge corners, turns etc due to the added depth and engagement of those senses perception. Less about learning how to master/play a game, and more about using real life driving skills to drive around...

I used to HATE Norschleife on games, just did the necessary race/trial then would never return until another game was released. Since VR2 its become my favourite track, around three quarters of my time is spend racing/hot lapping with all sorts of cars on it. Becomes an experience rather than just a game almost. Also that Spa 1 hour race through the rain is simply epic, cacooned in your car, get a sense of being 'alone' battling the dark, against the elements... sublime.

There may be an initial period where people may not see what the fuss is about, as although graphics are good, not quite as crisp as on a decent monitor, plus if you feel a bit weird as your brain adjusts to VR. Only took me one day, with 3 30 min sessions of feeling a little odd/light headed wearing it, before it become normal. I had month off during the summer, returned and didn;t feel odd at all.

If you can get a decent wheel, even better. I have the fanatec dd pro, and with some decent headphones strapped to your head, the immersion is phenomenal.

Bit odd why they haven't made race standings, times your ahead/behind other cars available. I guess that could be annoying for people into sports modes, and maybe more difficult long single player races, as makes it more difficult to formulate strategies ie do you reduce fuel mix rather than pit, can you afford to slow down and save tyres rather than pit to change them etc. But as I'm not in sports mode and completed missions, no big deal for me.

The other downside I guess, is for me I no longer have interest in playing other car/racing games. I have ACC, Motorfest, Forza 23 all installed, but can;t bring myself to try them even once as can't imagine I'd enjoy them as much as GT7 and VR. I'd have probably grown tired of GT7 by now, if not for VR2. I stopped playing it a month or so before vr was released, and may not have returned. Now I can play for hours a day easily and still feel like there was stuff I didnt get to do in the session!! It just makes the sensation/feeling of driving so immersive/enjoyable, if you like cars/racing, its absolutely worth the investment imo, as it improves the experience by several levels, which I assume is main reason car lovers/petrol heads play the game?

This substantially glosses over all the negatives people may associate with the game. Yes, things can be improved still, but you almost don't care that much as the driving experience is that good in vr and for me the negatives become inconsequential.

I have RE Village, Horizon and some other VR games, but have not touched them, or barely played them, as each time I want to play, its still only GT7 I'm interested in!

I have an M3 F80 (saloon...) IRL and sitting inside the GT7 M4 F82 (coupe...), the accuracy and detail of the interior (seats, wheel, dashboard, console, overall interior...)is insane, just like the real thing. Assume many/most the other cars have similar high quality/high level of detail/replication of the real cars. Really is crazy good.

Last edited:
PSVR 2 hands down. Really feels like it puts you into the car. Visually it is not quite as good but the experience is well worth it.

Jay
PSVR 2 hands down. Really feels like it puts you into the car. Visually it is not quite as good but the experience is well worth it.

Yes. Good thing is, after a few sessions it becomes the new normal anyway, visually, so its not like you're pining for the better aesthetics all the time anyway.

Of course, all things being equal, you want best visuals too. But my experience of games is that cutting edge graphics in other games, don't make up for a game thats perhaps lacking in other areas. They're more the icing of the cake. There's been plenty of AAA games with incredible graphics, that quickly fall flat when you realize they're lacking in other facets. Similar thing sometimes when it comes to dating/relationships ;). You can quickly realize that an extremely hot person isn't that much fun to be around, if they're a pain in the you know what/not that pleasant to be around, regardless of how physically attractive they are...

VR2 has so much more about it, the loss of quality in graphics is pretty ultimately inconsequential compared to all the positives it brings to the table, and overall better experience compared to flat screen.

Just to confirm, graphics aren't that bad anyway, so no deal breaker at all imo. More a headsup that when you first transition, coupled with getting used to VR (potential dizziness, motion sickness for some...) not to be disappointed/underwhelmed. Stick with it and before long you realise what an incredible experience you've opened yourself up for, and theres no turning back imo.

Last edited:
I can honestly say that I've never noticed the reduced graphical quality, it still looks amazing in VR when you're in the moment and 'experiencing' it. I'm sure I would find them if I stopped and looked for the areas where reductions have been made but can't stop, too busy hurling awesome cars round Nordschleife, brb.

Last edited:
I am a car enthusiasm and also a gamer since Atari/C64.
My first acquaintance to decent driving/racing games were pole position, grand prix circuit and Test Drive on C64. Got Nintendo for Pro am, a Sega Genesis for Hard drivin. PS for All the GTs, Dirt, Project Car ...

IMO, GT7-Psvr2 is the best home console virtual driving experience ever.

It is probably the game I spent the most time on ever at 300+h , surpassing my all time favorites Gt3, Fallout 4, Metal Gear 5, Persona 5...NHL Hockey 94...

Was worth the money,

Last edited:
I too been gaming since it's beginning, and a Petrol head! I used to be an Xbox guy with forza, what was real nice is that I could practice Road America in my Ferrari 360 before going to the track and it was amazing how much better I got at driving the real car at the track.
I bought the PS5 and PSVR2 just to play GT7, and I'm not good as other people here at putting the feeling I get when driving in VR to words that other people understand but I can tell you that I've put hundreds upon hundreds of hours driving GT7 in VR. This is coming from a guy that would get every achievement, skin, accolades, and prestiges in Call Of Duty since Modern Warfare was first released.

It's crazy real for me, I'm sad that GT7 doesn't have the 360 but on the other hand I get to drive cars and find out in the game if I really like them or not. Like I was driving an Aston Martin DB9 and I was thinking that I really don't find that car very impressive to drive. Then I had to drive one in real life and had the exact same feeling. Nice car but glad I never worked real hard to try and buy one.

My rig is the Logitech Pro wheel and pedals, and the NLR folding setup and let me tell you between the rumble in the head and the wheel shaking the seat the only thing I'm missing is the G-Forces and truthfully I don't really miss it.

I will add my $.02 to his without reading all of the posts.

If the choice is PSVR2 or TV, the answer is PSVR2 1000%!
I only use the flat screen if I am doing liveries or buying cars and not racing. Even though not all cars have interior view for PSVR2, I still think it is the best way to play at all times.

As a matter of fact, I rarely even play any order games. I am sure GT7 is >95% of my playing time. I personally use the Sony headset but I am sure any decent headset would work fine.

If you get PSVR2, get a wheel and pedal set and a seat. The experience cannot be beat.....

Last edited:
With a flat screen you are really manipulating a 2d video to fit where the car is. The illusion works because that is what we are used to see in TV in races, but VR just messes with your vision and touch, if you have a wheel, to bring another level of immersion. But blurred graphics, cumbersome equipment and isolation are an issue.

been racing since gt1. got wheel a year ago and got really good at it. that by itself is a huge improvement over controller....
then
......i get a 65"oled tv. even better improvement.

then

i get psvr2. it hands down is esential to fully experience this game. the depth perception and ability to turn your head and follow the apex and look way up the road is so good its insane. if you ever spend anymore money on the game or any game, buy the psvr2. then add prescription lenses for the vr even if you dont think you need them, and itll be like car heaven, i dont regret it at all. the only thing holding it back from beong almost too real is the graphics. theyre good, but in a few more generations of ps7 maybe, itll be as real as real i think. and then if you have extra money you can get a motion rig...if ps5 works with it to add some g force and suspension feedback.
Gran Turismo 1 works best with the Namco negCon. It's a very strange looking control pad whose halves twist in relation to each other. There are analog controls on it for braking, acceleration, and the e brake. Similar to the round Saturn pad, one of the triggers is analog.
The Dual Analog pad is also fully compatible with Gran Turismo 1, and if you install a rumble motor and the driver circuit into the pad, it'll work with that, too. Some of them have all the stuff there, some lack just the motor, and some lack the entire circuit. You may find the larger grips and concave sticks easier to manage.

My worry now is that Sony don't properly support PSVR2. I've no interest in forking out for a decent PC to go sim racing but without continued support, I'm worried that GT8 and future racing games won't have PSVR functionality. I simply can't go back from VR now, it's going to get awfully expensive if Sony don't help me out...

Latest Posts

Back