GT7 May Be Online-Only

• Thread starter Doomotron
  • 40 comments
If they do shut down the servers.
They may push an update to fix the online only aspect so you can play offline.
Both GT5 and GT6 try to connect to a non existent server to this day. I think you are being a little optimistic about GTS in the future even thinking that PD may do the right thing.

Both GT5 and GT6 try to connect to a non existent server to this day. I think you are being a little optimistic about GTS in the future even thinking that PD may do the right thing.
Actually GT5 doesn't try to, it's GT6 that is the problem. In GT5, whenever you try to access an online service, you just get the sad message that says "The online service period for Gran Turismo 5 has come to an end". When you try to use an online feature in GT6, it softlocks for 30 seconds as it tries to connect, then says "Failed to connect". Very annoying when you press X on the wrong button.

I think Polyphony handled the server shutdown in GT5 a lot better than GT6's.

Actually GT5 doesn't try to, it's GT6 that is the problem. In GT5, whenever you try to access an online service, you just get the sad message that says "The online service period for Gran Turismo 5 has come to an end". When you try to use an online feature in GT6, it softlocks for 30 seconds as it tries to connect, then says "Failed to connect". Very annoying when you press X on the wrong button.

I think Polyphony handled the server shutdown in GT5 a lot better than GT6's.
Nope. GT5 sits around doing nothing until I get a error message that it can't find a server. That's with my console online. Hell, if I'm not logged into the PSN it prompts me to sign in. For no purpose. At all.

Last edited:
Nope. GT5 sits around doing nothing until I get a error message that it can't find a server. That's with my console online. Hell, if I'm not logged into the PSN it prompts me to sign in. For no purpose. At all.
Huh. That's odd. What version of the game are you on?

Funilly enough when I enter GT Mode I don't get an option to try to sign in to PSN. Does it do that for you?

Huh. That's odd. What version of the game are you on?

Funilly enough when I enter GT Mode I don't get an option to try to sign in to PSN. Does it do that for you?
Fully up to date. PSN request at the same time. Either before or after checking for a server.

With the lack of USB save data backup feature on the PS5, I found it less likely to be tampered by cheaters so there's no reason to not include offline saving on GT7 but I won't hold my breath

I still dread the thought of losing all my GT Sport save data when the servers are inevitably shut down. With all the single-player focus they emphasized on with the trailer, I would hope this isn't the case for GT7 as well.

But hey, it's PD. I'm not keeping my hopes high.

Back