GT7 on PS4 Pro locking up during loading.

• Thread starter HGHTCH
  • 40 comments
Canada
ontario, canada
otakunorth
Hey, wondering if anyone else is having the same experience as me when loading a track either campaign or multiplayer one out of every ten times or so the game hangs on the loading screen and needs to be restarted.
I'm running a PS4 Pro with an upgraded SSD, I bought the disc ver

Seems better this evening, first time I got through more than one race without it going "offline" and nerfing everything. I presume they added enough servers to handle the load.

Running a PS4 and GT7 has stalled during a load several times now. Have to restart the game. Hopefully they will come up with a fix.

I had been playing GT7 without any issues for a week or so and then swapped my PS4 Pro HDD to a SSD and now I am getting stuck on loading screens occasionally. Wondering if there is an issue with it running on a SSD on PS4's.

I had been playing GT7 without any issues for a week or so and then swapped my PS4 Pro HDD to a SSD and now I am getting stuck on loading screens occasionally. Wondering if there is an issue with it running on a SSD on PS4's.
Same issue here as well. I've never ran into this problem while I was on the stock HDD.

Same here. I upgraded my Pro's original HDD to Crucial MX500 2T SSD.
I'm wondering if this happens in other games as well.
Do you have such experience?

My setup: PS4 slim, stock HDD only a bit over half full, and no hangups, maybe some slower loading times than you see on PS5, but no major probs

Same here. I upgraded my Pro's original HDD to Crucial MX500 2T SSD.
I'm wondering if this happens in other games as well.
Do you have such experience?
I don't unfortunately. I only recently bought the drive and GT7 was the only game I installed and played on it. I swapped back to the HDD and so far everything seems okay. Never had problems on it prior to the upgrade.

This may explain what is happening to us. The PS5 probably runs with different parameters, while the PS4 assumes an HDD.

Last edited:
Interesting read. Can't say I've ever heard of write amplification before. Certainly makes me curious if using an external drive would improve things in this specific instance.

Interesting read. Can't say I've ever heard of write amplification before. Certainly makes me curious if using an external drive would improve things in this specific instance.
Yes, you are right probably external drive. But I have found only this page that speaks out against the internal SSD upgrade. I’m starting to fear that they’re already beating us again and the whole thing behind it is just SSD sales. I'll put the original HDD back tomorrow!

Last edited:
My setup: PS4 slim, stock HDD only a bit over half full, and no hangups, maybe some slower loading times than you see on PS5, but no major probs
It just seems to affect me who ate the marketing ******** and managed to downgrade to SSD... :boggled:

It just seems to affect me who ate the marketing ******** and managed to downgrade to SSD... :boggled:
Never ate the marketing hype, just on a budget and cannot afford it nor it was not broke so no need to fix...I don't really mind a lag in load time, life goes on...

Honestly even when it was working, I thought the SSD performance on GT7 was pretty underwhelming on the Pro. It didn't seem that much snappier than the HDD, and not even close to the load times people were reporting for the PS5 (which is pretty much wishful thinking, but I really was expecting something better than what I got).

Hey, wondering if anyone else is having the same experience as me when loading a track either campaign or multiplayer one out of every ten times or so the game hangs on the loading screen and needs to be restarted.
I'm running a PS4 Pro with an upgraded SSD, I bought the disc ver
Hello, change it back to the original HDD. It worked for me. Now I have a 1 week used Crucial MX500 2T for sale... :lol:

I spent my whole week with this instead of driving. I gave this up, moved back to the original internal HDD. But if this external SSD works, please tell us. Thanks. :)

Just experienced this issue yesterday night too. I am using a Crucial MX500 1TB SSD on my PS4 Slim, with my GT7 a disc version. The Slim has been put in rest mode automatically for several hours after idling, and when I turn it back on to run a custom race, it just stays on the loading screen for several minutes, forcing me to quit the application and start it again. The second try ran smoothly though.

I’m a bit worried that if I keep on doing this force-quitting and rejoining it will eventually corrupt the save file and make me lose all my progress though, so it’ll be a nice assurance if somebody here knows whether save files are affected by this! I don’t want to turn my SSD into an external one.

Just experienced this issue yesterday night too. I am using a Crucial MX500 1TB SSD on my PS4 Slim, with my GT7 a disc version. The Slim has been put in rest mode automatically for several hours after idling, and when I turn it back on to run a custom race, it just stays on the loading screen for several minutes, forcing me to quit the application and start it again. The second try ran smoothly though.

I’m a bit worried that if I keep on doing this force-quitting and rejoining it will eventually corrupt the save file and make me lose all my progress though, so it’ll be a nice assurance if somebody here knows whether save files are affected by this! I don’t want to turn my SSD into an external one.
Hello, I also used MX500 2T, after a week misery now I moved back to HDD. Probably we can use our MX500s as external... or in our Notebook 🥴

Ironically I also used an MX500 :P though the small 500gb ver
Yes lot's of "expert" sites suggest this one. Since I put back the original HDD (about 12 hous ago) it never happened again. Generally slower the load but reliable. I ordered now an external case, maybe I try to move GT7 to there as a last try...

yep. Overall experience on the ps4 pro is unplayable.
Its very playable for me. I haven't had one problem with the game on my PS4 Pro. It loads way faster on my PS4 Pro than it did on my PS4 Slim with the same SSD instaled in both consoles and I haven't had any loading problems or lockups.

I'm not using the MX500. I'm using a Sandisk SSD PLUS SATA III 480 GB SSD and it hasn't skipped a beat. The game always loads even when playing for four to five hours straight.

Last edited:
Back