GT7 online grid size

• Thread starter Ork4n
  • 43 comments

Are you satisfied with PD´s and Kaz choice of the Grid size being 16 in online lobbies?

• Total voters
Germany
Germany
I am very disappointed. The one feature i hoped the most for (besides dynamic time and weather) wont be implemented in GT7.
Sure the game looks amazing and the online part of it wont be its selling point. But thats some PS3 level s**t. It´s 2022 ffs when the game "hopefully" comes out. Games like F1 and Forza have a bigger grid size. Why should i invest in a PS5 when i get the "same" game on my PS4? They should have never played with the idea of releasing GT7 on the PS4. Just to say that the PS4 had its own full Gran Turismo game relased. Without it, the PS4 generation would have been the first PS console generation to be skipped for the first time!
Sure this situation has a upside too. With so few PS5 being sold its a good investment to consider the amounts of PS4 worldwide.

But come on. A multiclass race with this beatiful dynamic time and weather at Le Mans with just 16 cars?
It breaks my heart...

What do you guys think? I really want to know that the majority of this community thinks. Am i in a minority here? Please leave your vote :)

Well for starters most people can't 'obtain' a PS5 due to the semi conductor shortages and scalpers. I am in the 'elite' category there since I have one.

Not releasing GT7 on the PS4 would affect the overall sales of the game because of my first point.

The grid size has to be able to work in both the PS4 and PS5 versions of the game since I guess there will be 'shared' lobbies where users on both consoles will appear therefore PD have elected a decision to stick with what they know works for GT7, I would say there is the possibility that they may test/observe the online situation in the beginning of the game so the possibility may exist that they could increase the race grid size over the game's life.

Given the nature of online etc I would say increasing grids at this stage may cause a backlash from the online side of the community become more 'dirty' racers etc.

For me having bigger grids would be more frustrating because if the format is the usual 'chase' down the leader I might struggle a bit with higher grid sizes.

One final thought but if they are going with the data syncing between the PS4 and PS5 users for shared lobbies this might be a factor because lag/disconnect situations could become a thing.

Call of Duty Vanguard beta seems to be managing with the 24/24 player versus but this could be down to more experience in how to get things looking good with larger numbers in a lobby.

Last edited:
Given the nature of online etc I would say increasing grids at this stage may cause a backlash from the online side of the community become more 'dirty' racers etc.
Thats why we have Sport Mode. No one races in online lobbies to excpect a clean race. Its often a league that is set up where people want to race clean. You can also turn on driver rating if you dont want a dirty race. I dont see any downside for bigger grids. Unfortunenatly Sport Mode prevents friends or a league to race together. Therefore are online lobbies essentiel.

It just makes no sense. Other games on the PS4 like F12021 have lobbies with up to 20 cars. Sport Mode itself allows 20 cars to qualify. Then limit the grid size to 20. That would be enough for a while. But 16 cars grid belongs to 2006 not 2022

Aren't the lobbies P2P? I don't see why PD can't opt for dedicated servers in lobbies. At the very least, increasing it to 24 like it was originally as maximum in GT Sport's Sport Mode would be nice. I agree that 16 is not enough for many leagues.

Thats why we have Sport Mode. No one races in online lobbies to excpect a clean race. Its often a league that is set up where people want to race clean. You can also turn on driver rating if you dont want a dirty race. I dont see any downside for bigger grids. Unfortunenatly Sport Mode prevents friends or a league to race together. Therefore are online lobbies essentiel.

It just makes no sense. Other games on the PS4 like F12021 have lobbies with up to 20 cars. Sport Mode itself allows 20 cars to qualify. Then limit the grid size to 20. That would be enough for a while. But 16 cars grid belongs to 2006 not 2022
The only solution to this is going away with using peer-to-peer in lobbies and instead let players rent dedicated servers like what battlefield does, this allows for better connectivity and more player count than just 16.

Last edited:
While I have not played GTS but unlike a games like TF2, COD, PUBG, Fortnight can have 32 player where they connect to a dedicated server.
GT7 may still make the players use "Listen" servers.
This means bandwidth is more of an issue for the host and those connected my have a bad experience

GT1 was capable of doing 9 cars easily, doing 12 made the game act funny, but it was able to do 12 as well.
Could GT7 do a 32 car race?
Most likely.

Last edited:
Well, the pre-order confirms 2-20 Network players. It’ll probably be 20, as usual, for Sport Mode. Would be cool if lobbies are bumped up to 20.
my expectations are very low. But lets hope for the best

It seems like an odd limitation to have. Given that presumably rendering isn't a problem if they're gonna have 20+ cars in races offline, I can't imagine what cobbled-together nightmare of a backend they have that's limiting them to only 16 cars.

This is indeed utterly disappointing. It was one of the things I expected to be seriously upgraded for GT7.

If P2P over dedicated servers is the issue here, does that mean that even if the game was released only for PS5 we’d still be limited to 16 player lobbies?

Relates to online. I think we might get over 20+ cars in a single track when it comes to AI which is not bad.

But 16 cars online is pretty disappointing especially for league racing.
As I know the max grid size in online is 20 players?

Assetto Corsa Competizione

82 cars online.

16 is just tragic.

As impressive as that is it's hardly an apples to apples comparison is it? ACC on PS can only run 20 cars poorly online and I gave up on it ages ago because of over 300ms ping and empty lobbies. I agree 16 sucks, but it could possibly be 20 like ACC.

Huge grids are the domain of PC players with big budgets and private servers, not us console plebs :sly:

Last edited:
I can understand the mayhem in a Daily Race, but a gtplanet lobby and a private lobby with friends, would be awesome.

I am very disappointed. The one feature i hoped the most for (besides dynamic time and weather) wont be implemented in GT7.
Sure the game looks amazing and the online part of it wont be its selling point. But thats some PS3 level s**t. It´s 2022 ffs when the game "hopefully" comes out. Games like F1 and Forza have a bigger grid size. Why should i invest in a PS5 when i get the "same" game on my PS4? They should have never played with the idea of releasing GT7 on the PS4. Just to say that the PS4 had its own full Gran Turismo game relased. Without it, the PS4 generation would have been the first PS console generation to be skipped for the first time!
Sure this situation has a upside too. With so few PS5 being sold its a good investment to consider the amounts of PS4 worldwide.

But come on. A multiclass race with this beatiful dynamic time and weather at Le Mans with just 16 cars?
It breaks my heart...

What do you guys think? I really want to know that the majority of this community thinks. Am i in a minority here? Please leave your vote :)
I seldom see any online lobbies with 16 people in them. Most are 3 to 5 from what I see. Online players can't handle the first turn as it is when there is 16 people so adding more is just more BS. I would love to have 42 cars available online but lag would be the biggest problem besides just the on track disaster that would be going on. Would be great for dirty races though.

I seldom see any online lobbies with 16 people in them. Most are 3 to 5 from what I see. Online players can't handle the first turn as it is when there is 16 people so adding more is just more BS. I would love to have 42 cars available online but lag would be the biggest problem besides just the on track disaster that would be going on. Would be great for dirty races though.
Way too harsh generalising, man. Sure, some can’t get through the first turn but it’s far from as bad as you make it out to be. As far as numbers goes, you must be talking about the specific lobby mode? Regular sport mode daily races are definitely full most hours of the day with 16 and 20 in B and C respectively, at least in EMEA.

Way too harsh generalising, man. Sure, some can’t get through the first turn but it’s far from as bad as you make it out to be. As far as numbers goes, you must be talking about the specific lobby mode? Regular sport mode daily races are definitely full most hours of the day with 16 and 20 in B and C respectively, at least in EMEA.
Yes Lobby mode not Sport mode. I quit on Sport mode soon after release. Dirty drivers for the most part. Not fun at all.

Yes Lobby mode not Sport mode. I quit on Sport mode soon after release. Dirty drivers for the most part. Not fun at all.
Depends. 3,100+ races in Sport mode by yours truly and I enjoy it. Of course dirty trash exists but doesn’t triumph the fun the mode offers.

Depends. 3,100+ races in Sport mode by yours truly and I enjoy it. Of course dirty trash exists but doesn’t triumph the fun the mode offers.
I'm having my fair share of online races. Every week since launch. Just run my own lobbies and don't bother with Sport Mode. Game is fun but I am personally burned out on it. Just want some new tracks. A course creator like GT5 had would be good enough for me.

Last edited:
People do realise that online servers, are used for a lot more than just straight up racing, right? With that out of the way, could it be related that there are a lot more variables in a normal lobby compared to Sport Mode? For example, in a normal lobby, you had access to your garage, you could setup your car, the host could even change the track or the time of day mid lobby. Way more variables. While in Sport mode, it was just straight to the point. This is the main differences I see between both types of lobby, and might be the reason why normal lobbies are smaller.

Back