GT7 Penalty System

Slow Down penalty? Yeah, I'll be ignoring that one.
I run the one hour Spa event quite a bit and wind up with random penalties. At that point I purposely cut corners, usually getting more penalties, until the game finally figures out I don't put up with that crap.
If AI starts driving dirty, I give them a nice tour of the walls and grass. I'll slam them off the road when possible... IF they are driving dirty. If they drive clean, so do I.
I don't play online, but the games I have played online I played tough but clean in competition. Sportsmanship went out the window but rules were followed. If I was playing a casual online game, though, I put a lot more emphasis on sportsmanship even if it meant I or my team lost.

The penalty system still needs work. I was rammed so hard on the right corner after the pit exit in daily race C, that I hit the barrier, got full damage, got a 1.5 seconds for hitting the barrier. Yet the driver who hit still managed to stay in the first 3 positions on that lap. I was dead last. This sucks
Happens a bit to often but you'll be glad to know karma does take a hand sometimes, today doing nations cup got rammed off at the spoon ended up 9th he took my place in 5th but I fought my way back and ended up 5th while he was 6th.
Lifes little pleasures with a dose of Karma lol.

YUP!

Since everyone is in the dark about penalties it might be a good time for the developers of GT& to actually explain their reasoning and thought processes on them.

I really don't see the big deal for the programmers..."ouch"............ They (if wanted to) could make many penalty scenarios but choose not to.. Penalties don't apply to AI and pens in 1on1 only to apply their rules. The question keeps coming up with no answer, what are GT7 rules in each race? Where is the clearly written??
I think if they went into too much detail about the penalties and how they work it would just open the system up to even worse exploits. That's how things work in competitive gaming and we saw it with the wall ride on the time trial. I've seen players exploit the current system by tapping your car in a certain spot and touching grass then you get a 4 second penalty...

No matter how good the penalty system is there will always be idiots to ruin it. Especially with a game as accessible as GT7. I'm 40 now and have been gaming online since it started with Doom deathmatches in the early 90's. So I've seen some stuff. I notice the concentration of idiots is getting larger all the time. I'm sick of "certain" drivers knocking me out of a podium place and saying "I drive with mondo." Whatever buddy you probably beat your wife with "mondo" too. No point to having good dr/sr if I'm forced to race with C/D drivers.... yuck.

How about this,

timed penalties for lap infringements so cutting corners etc and no timed penalties for hitting a car or causing a collision but having to drive through the pit lane of course without stopping…. I’d go for that

of course doesn’t fix the underlying issue of a utterly awful penalty system but I think the impact on offenders is far more of an impact that a timed penalty

I know why the penalty system gave one for this but I'm still mad!

I like that, he hits you, trying to recover your car you hit him, you get the penalty - it’s because you’re impact on him triggered the penalty plus the fact he went off the track, he hit you but not in a heavy manner, call it a soft kiss and the game currently seems to ignore those - race in any S rated lobby and you will see what I mean lol

I think if they went into too much detail about the penalties and how they work it would just open the system up to even worse exploits. That's how things work in competitive gaming and we saw it with the wall ride on the time trial. I've seen players exploit the current system by tapping your car in a certain spot and touching grass then you get a 4 second penalty...

No matter how good the penalty system is there will always be idiots to ruin it. Especially with a game as accessible as GT7. I'm 40 now and have been gaming online since it started with Doom deathmatches in the early 90's. So I've seen some stuff. I notice the concentration of idiots is getting larger all the time. I'm sick of "certain" drivers knocking me out of a podium place and saying "I drive with mondo." Whatever buddy you probably beat your wife with "mondo" too. No point to having good dr/sr if I'm forced to race with C/D drivers.... yuck.
The only way I've found of combating numpties that ram on purpose is try my hardest to get near the top in qualifying where you find the real racers, the further back you are the more likely you'll find a rammer because they can't do that in qualifying to help them so they end up near the back where they belong.

P.s in my 40s too lol, was v rally mad on ps1 or colin mcray.

Had a couple races ruined cause of the penalty system. Had a driver purposely shove me into the wall as I went to overtake them in a daily race at Spa. THe system decided to give me a 1.5 second penalty in the process, while the driver that shoved me off the track got no penalty at all.
Had another penalty given to me when the game gave me control of the car at the end of the rolling start while going though the last corner, meaning I went wide, again at Spa and was handed a 0,5 sec penalty before even crossing the start/finish line

Hey, has anyone actually been able to understand specifically what the penalty system is. I understand most but from one race to other there are times when I get no penalties and end up jostling for a few laps and others when ive done nothing wrong and been slapped with a penalty because someone has gone into me. I can't work it out at all. I'm a clean racer on eother an A or S sportmanship rating but if i do 5 races in a night, i can guarantee that i'll lose out on unfair penalties in at least 2/3 of the races
No idea mate sick of getting rammed and ending up with a barrier penalty.
Got promoted to DR c from d thought excellent maybe be less people intentionally ramming ppl off but its worse haven't done 1 lap without someone ramming me and getting a barrier penalty.

I got a very odd penalty out from pit. 2 times for crossing a line... I think I need to cross over the line to got onto the track.... it happend in World touring car 800, Watkins Glen international. One time i had a double 3sec penalty for exiting pit.. second time was only 3sec.. confusing and ridiculous... as the time spent in the pit wasn't enough?

I got a very odd penalty out from pit. 2 times for crossing a line... I think I need to cross over the line to got onto the track.... it happend in World touring car 800, Watkins Glen international. One time i had a double 3sec penalty for exiting pit.. second time was only 3sec.. confusing and ridiculous... as the time spent in the pit wasn't enough?
You got a penalty for crossing the pit entry line. At Watkins Glen the pit entry starts before the last turn. You have to take the inside line of the corner, staying within the line when going into the pits. If you got a double penalty then you crossed it coming in and out.

1666713613963.png

You can see the yellow line in the image here, that's where the pit entry starts, you can't cut into that line from elsewhere without getting a penalty.

Allright! Thank you very much for the information 😊
You got a penalty for crossing the pit entry line. At Watkins Glen the pit entry starts before the last turn. You have to take the inside line of the corner, staying within the line when going into the pits. If you got a double penalty then you crossed it coming in and out.

View attachment 1203448

You can see the yellow line in the image here, that's where the pit entry starts, you can't cut into that line from elsewhere without getting a penalty.

Yeah... well.. that is a new element of regulations for me! A little heads-up about what the rules are would be nice.. unless I've overlooked that info from the start..

I didn't have any expectations for GT7, because of the previous disappointing GT's, but I think that GT7, have the most boring bugs and limitations as a whole gaming experience. The graphics are awesome and they have improved drivability from GT Sport. I still miss the experience from Gran Turismo 3... the lobby is fine and reminds me of GT3. The café thing is fine to.

It gives me the beta-effect, without the "report bug" button 🤣

Does anyone know if there is kind of "sign" to see if the SR is going up or down?
In Monza I have struggle with too many time penalties for cutting. :-( Fell down from A/S to A/B

In GT Sport there was this:

Does anyone know if there is kind of "sign" to see if the SR is going up or down?
In Monza I have struggle with too many time penalties for cutting. :-( Fell down from A/S to A/B

Not that I've noticed pal, I normal have to wait for a cpl races to get back to S, last weeks daily races were a nightmare dropped from an S to a C also a D, just geeting back up to S now, but it seems people forget there's a break for the 1st chicane and use the back of my car, same can be said for the whole track, the other downside being rammed into someone and being punished yourself for it.

Nope, and that's what I miss the most from that GT Sport update. I need to see what influences my SR positively and negatively in real time!

Real damage to the involved cars would make people quite willing to avoid any contact more efficiently.

Further punishment should be given by AI race stewards. It would be cool to see a message like "the incident involving A and B is under investigation". Then PD could make the console of players involved do the data processing and give the penalties accordingly, if it was the case. All racers should be kept on their toes and accountable for their acts.

Ah, of course, PD is wasting time and resources on useless Sophy... Stop dreaming of a perfect world! LOL

Real damage to the involved cars would make people quite willing to avoid any contact more efficiently.

Further punishment should be given by AI race stewards. It would be cool to see a message like "the incident involving A and B is under investigation". Then PD could make the console of players involved do the data processing and give the penalties accordingly, if it was the case. All racers should be kept on their toes and accountable for their acts.

Ah, of course, PD is wasting time and resources on useless Sophy... Stop dreaming of a perfect world! LOL
Just to be clear, I do not hate Sophy that much. It just seems to me that the penalty system should be a priority.

So I usually spend quite a bit of time in qualifying before I jump into the race but lately I've wanted to start from the back. It's been a lot of fun but it's left me wondering if they've decreased the car collision penalties. I've been punted, spun out and put into the wall more times than I can count. I've seen the same happen to other drivers as well but with seemingly no penalties handed out. The only penalties I've seen as of late have been for track limit violations. Did they make a change?

Also, if they're not handing out penalties for collisions, it would make sense that there would be quite a few more drivers with great sportsmanship ratings that really shouldn't have them.

Sharing this video as there seems to be quite the split now between drivers using the pause glitch to minimise penalty time, and drivers who aren't or aren't even aware:

That's shocking, makes a complete farce of the penalty system, it's getting to the point where I'm considering not doing qualifying and starting last due to rammers.

Racing in the Le Mans 30 minutes race. Think it's World Touring Cars 700.
I'm 4 laps in & i get caught out by the rain - i thought i had time to just complete this lap before pitting - i'm trying to be careful but i spin & clip the barrier. 9 SECOND PENALTY. I then slide & go a little off track. Another 5 SECOND PENALTY added. On the second to last corner i spin in the middle of the track with no collisions & i stayed on the track. The penalty jumps from 14 seconds to 32 SECONDS PENALTY!!!

That's ridiculous, so i quit the race.

I'm a consistent DR..B and SR..S but have, today, been demoted back to group C for parking up in the pits after being smashed and bashed into walls in Race B & C over the last few days by what are supposedly decent, considerate S rated drivers.... what a bloody joke!

The penalty system has to take huge blame too (actually, it's pathetic). If it's not bad enough that one is punted into a wall, you will virtually never be facing in the right direction to continue in a timeous manner and the penalty dished out is so punitive that it really isn't worth the time or effort to continue. And when hitting the said wall if you aren't lucky enough to bounce straight off, penalties continue to accumulate at a rate of 1.5 sec. And, as we all know, you don't just lose the actual penalty time. You can basically double it for actual time lost.

The other ridiculous thing is when some muppet goes off track or loses control... you continue on your path only to find the said muppet comes back and drives straight into the side of you.... then bounces off and goes off track. Penalty system says it's your fault = 5sec penalty. SERIOUSLY??????

Race B 2 days ago, I bump guy going into the hairpin on lap 1. No harm done but then both of us are immediately smashed by someone thinking they can win the race in the first turn. I manage to stay on track.., the other goes off to the wall. Guess what? I get a 5 sec penalty for forcing another driver off track.

As you can tell, I am pretty pissed off with all this crap and Polyphony just do not seem to care or want to even get GT7 to be the game/sim that they claim it to be.

'The Real Driving Simulator'.......... what a joke Polyphony!

Back