GT7 Penalty System

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hey, has anyone actually been able to understand specifically what the penalty system is. I understand most but from one race to other there are times when I get no penalties and end up jostling for a few laps and others when ive done nothing wrong and been slapped with a penalty because someone has gone into me. I can't work it out at all. I'm a clean racer on eother an A or S sportmanship rating but if i do 5 races in a night, i can guarantee that i'll lose out on unfair penalties in at least 2/3 of the races

Yeah i find it crazy the penalty system.
Spa at the bus stop. Driver infront of me goes wide and off the track, but also wants to pit. They cut straight across the racing line and hit into me on the racing line. I get a 5 second penalty for hit another car.

Also T4 at Interlargos. If you run wide sometimes you get a penalty and sometimes you don’t.

It's so frustrating. I was in the manufacturers cup last night and on the 2nd to last lap. Got shunted and lost 4 positions straight away, the guy who hit me got nothing and then i received a 4 second penalty and lost another 5 positions. They should just put everyone on a ghost for online races

Spa at the bus stop. Driver infront of me goes wide and off the track, but also wants to pit. They cut straight across the racing line and hit into me on the racing line. I get a 5 second penalty for hit another car.

Also T4 at Interlargos. If you run wide sometimes you get a penalty and sometimes you don’t.

Yeh that's **** and similar to me on interlagos the other night on the first corner

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, has anyone actually been able to understand specifically what the penalty system is. I understand most but from one race to other there are times when I get no penalties and end up jostling for a few laps and others when ive done nothing wrong and been slapped with a penalty because someone has gone into me. I can't work it out at all. I'm a clean racer on eother an A or S sportmanship rating but if i do 5 races in a night, i can guarantee that i'll lose out on unfair penalties in at least 2/3 of the races
This is bs, went from S rating to C on deep forest alone when i get side hit i get penalty because they go off road, also im turning corner because they took bad outside turn and hit me, i get a penalty, yet when i get smacked from behind hard, they get no penalty, like wth??

If they want to stop people driving with disregard for sportsmanship they should implement having to restore damage to the vehicles cosmetically with game credits. So if someone used dirty tactics to win they would have to spend a nice portion of that prize money on repairs anyway.

But who knows I could be missing an angle 🤷🏽‍♂️

Last edited:
If they want to stop people driving with disregard for sportsmanship they should implement having to restore damage to the vehicles cosmetically with game credits. So if someone used dirty tactics to win they would have to spend a nice portion of that prize money on repairs anyway.

But who knows I could be missing an angle 🤷🏽‍♂️
Or they can simply take all the informations that already have and code a freaking algorithm that takes in consideration things like trajectories, speeds, space available on track, position of the wheel, brakes to assign proper penalties. I got 5 seconds at Spa because a guy dashed into me while we where side by side and then he spun. The replay shows me going straight (wheel position perfectly centered) and he suddenly moving into me (wheel suddenly moving halfway right). That sucks.

Last edited:
Something Ive noticed is how the game positions the penalty line on the track.
Last night I raced in the manufacture cup and on Tokyo the penalty line was just before you entered the tunnel over the start/finish line. As a result you lose time serving your penalty, but then you also get an extra penalty for losing time down that straight.
Compared to the red bull ring the penalty line is on one of the shortest straights so as a result you don’t lose much time trying to recover down that straight.
Some tracks you get an extra punishment and some not so much

One of the 500k races at Sarthe the penalties change every lap, second chicane on the straight if you go over the line like the AI does you get 2 seconds, on the way to the penalty line I somehow picked up another 1.5 second penalty I don't even know what for, its cost me the race every time I've tried it, so inconsistent its really flipping my pancakes lol

Im tryin that one today, if its anything like Tokyo last night in rain, im considering skipping it, that was a penalty crap show, literally on last lap everyone had at least 5 sec penalty just for barely touching the walls

Cant even enjoy online racing due to the trash penalty system.

Simpel fact is PD are imcompetant developers especialy are creating and implementing self made ideas. While they are great at moddeling virtually already existing features into the game cars tracks. They suck at everything else they need to create from ground up, AI in game systems design choices ex.

Im tryin that one today, if its anything like Tokyo last night in rain, im considering skipping it, that was a penalty crap show, literally on last lap everyone had at least 5 sec penalty just for barely touching the walls
I managed a 4th place finish bc some idiot in a meta car got mad tht my lil beetle was in front of him in 2nd place, so he knocked me into wall for 1.5 sec penalty & i dropped to 4th bc speed isnt great on bug

Cant even enjoy online racing due to the trash penalty system.

Simpel fact is PD are imcompetant developers especialy are creating and implementing self made ideas. While they are great at moddeling virtually already existing features into the game cars tracks. They suck at everything else they need to create from ground up, AI in game systems design choices ex.
Dont get me started on that OP AI Sophy, with the penalties plus her, they make it damn near impossible to win on hard, im goin back to normal mode

Dont get me started on that OP AI Sophy, with the penalties plus her, they make it damn near impossible to win on hard, im goin back to normal mode
Sophy isn't in GT7.

Something Ive noticed is how the game positions the penalty line on the track.
Last night I raced in the manufacture cup and on Tokyo the penalty line was just before you entered the tunnel over the start/finish line. As a result you lose time serving your penalty, but then you also get an extra penalty for losing time down that straight.
Compared to the red bull ring the penalty line is on one of the shortest straights so as a result you don’t lose much time trying to recover down that straight.
Some tracks you get an extra punishment and some not so much
Some not at all with the penalty line in front of a braking zone (3rd one at Sarthe) or in front of the pit. At Daytona I got that ridiculous 42 sec penalty a couple times for going wide in T1 (game thinking you're trying to skip the infield), yet if you pit it only slows you down a bit before entering the pit while the time keeps counting down in the pit. You come out of the pit penalty free :lol:

There have been races in GT Sport with slower cars where serving penalties hardly made any difference, then you have the long N24 straight where if you nick a 1 sec ignoring track limits penalty (for going wide somewhere) your race is basically already over. Same on Sarthe, 3 penalty lines in GT Sport, one on the straight very bad, one after Indianapolis not so bad, and last one just brakes for you for the final 2 chicanes.

These penalty zones are a bad idea anyway and usually only cause more incidents.

I understand ya don't want people ramming into the

That one with guy going into the pits in front of you is very annoying ....
I noticed a lot cars pulling out of nations cup half way through the race too

Some not at all with the penalty line in front of a braking zone (3rd one at Sarthe) or in front of the pit. At Daytona I got that ridiculous 42 sec penalty a couple times for going wide in T1 (game thinking you're trying to skip the infield), yet if you pit it only slows you down a bit before entering the pit while the time keeps counting down in the pit. You come out of the pit penalty free :lol:

There have been races in GT Sport with slower cars where serving penalties hardly made any difference, then you have the long N24 straight where if you nick a 1 sec ignoring track limits penalty (for going wide somewhere) your race is basically already over. Same on Sarthe, 3 penalty lines in GT Sport, one on the straight very bad, one after Indianapolis not so bad, and last one just brakes for you for the final 2 chicanes.

These penalty zones are a bad idea anyway and usually only cause more incidents.
Just doesn’t make sense in the positioning of some of the zones.
Did daily race B and majority of the field picked up barrier penalties, but with it been on a short zone sometimes it helped as you didn’t need to brake for the next corner as the penalty slowed you down.

Penalty zones either destroy your race or arent too bad.
That one with guy going into the pits in front of you is very annoying ....
I noticed a lot cars pulling out of nations cup half way through the race too
Maybe I should have anticipated them coming on back like that, but I was on the racing line and they technically left the track so should enter back safely. Didn’t really effect my race as I ended up finishing P3 in the end.

Yes, she is
No, she isn't.

GT7's AI is just the regular GT AI. While Sophy may be intended for use in GT7 at some point, it hasn't been developed sufficiently yet.

Here, have some light reading on the topic:

No, she isn't.

GT7's AI is just the regular GT AI. While Sophy may be intended for use in GT7 at some point, it hasn't been developed sufficiently yet.

Here, have some light reading on the topic:

Ok thank you, from wht i was reading and received, she was already implemented into gt7

The penalty system gotten way more screwed up since the last update. I live stream my MLG teams youtube channel and we have captured multiple questionable penalty incident. Because of this i feel the penty system can be rigged.

I was ghosted as well and had a citroen drive into me qhil i was ghosted didnt bother to avoid me and hit me drove theough me hit me then i got penalized for it i was like WTF?

They tried fixing it in GT Sport and it got worse with every tweak. PD needs to delete it entirely and start over from scratch starting with enforcing the etiquette rules. Contact, see what happens after, has proven not to work. I'm not looking forward to another 4 years of different penalty time amounts and slight tweaks to whether a car touching a wall, getting passed or going off track triggers a penalty for the other car.

I wouldnt mind a slight bit of contact if it's honest racing and not ramming people of track but there's no allowance... If your qualifing mid grid it makes it difficult to race because you have to worry so much about getting a penalty
.in the red bull ring race the traffic bunched up in turn 1 and 2 got shunted from behind and ended up with a 8 sec penalty.. Prob would been better if just ramming car in front would have only got 3 sec penalty and not lost any places in turn 1 or 2

I would like to see heavy damage awarded for contact incidents and barrier collisions, even if that includes innocent parties, with time penalties reserved for track limit and flag violations.

I wouldnt mind a slight bit of contact if it's honest racing and not ramming people of track but there's no allowance... If your qualifing mid grid it makes it difficult to race because you have to worry so much about getting a penalty
.in the red bull ring race the traffic bunched up in turn 1 and 2 got shunted from behind and ended up with a 8 sec penalty.. Prob would been better if just ramming car in front would have only got 3 sec penalty and not lost any places in turn 1 or 2

Some races on lap 1 I have noticed they allow some contact and the lap 2 it’s back to normal. I agree that they should be a little bit more allowance for contact when overtaking, but I can see some races will exploit the rule and manage to somehow avoid penalties while dumping you out of the race. Without proper officials I’m not sure how it could be monitored.
Maybe a collision slider would work a bit like shortcuts. Could have a collision slider set to either weak, medium or strong.

I would like to see heavy damage awarded for contact incidents and barrier collisions, even if that includes innocent parties, with time penalties reserved for track limit and flag violations.

Would vote for that. Any contact you make that results in penalties you should have to pay a fee to fix your car. Or your winnings take a hit and reduced by a lot.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back