GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,371 comments
Probably late to the party on this, but I noticed the other day that another thing missing from VR mode hud is yellow flag notification, I was doing the 1 hour spa race in vr which is an incredible experience but at night with rain I suddenly got a passing under yellow penalty but did not see any flag, light board, etc.

Has anyone got light superficial scratches from simply cleaning? I clean mine religiously with a micro fiber cloth, but have still aged some light swirl scratches in each lens. Ya'll think it affects the vision at all?

reading on the internets, it looks like I'll be hard-pressed to get this fixed via warranty. And my only option is to pony up and have Sony fix it for me. Unless, any of you guys have some super secret snake oil fixes you can educate me on

Has anyone got light superficial scratches from simply cleaning? I clean mine religiously with a micro fiber cloth, but have still aged some light swirl scratches in each lens. Ya'll think it affects the vision at all?

reading on the internets, it looks like I'll be hard-pressed to get this fixed via warranty. And my only option is to pony up and have Sony fix it for me. Unless, any of you guys have some super secret snake oil fixes you can educate me on
I haven’t, but I’ve been using a clear glass with it for two reasons. It works as a mechanical way to prevent me from pushing the headset beyond a certain point where it starts to hurt my nose bridge. And it helps me to maintain the headset lenses cleaner since there is not risk of having oily eyelashes or stuff like that eventually touching the lenses.

But when I stop to really clean the headset lenses I use a Lenspen. I first use a blower then the brush then the pen. Same process I use for photo equipment.

Microfiber cloth is something I use in a pinch or when I’m too lazy to properly clean it. I first blow it a couple of times, then do a top to bottom first pass with the cloth with zero pressure to remove bigger dust particles and just then I put some light pressure to remove any grease/oil the lenses may have.

If you use any cloth while applying some pressure without blowing the dust particles that are there already beforehand, it’s pretty much assured you will eventually end up scratching it faster.

Last edited:
I haven’t, but I’ve been using a clear glass with it for two reasons. It works as a mechanical way to prevent me from pushing the headset beyond a certain point where it starts to hurt my nose bridge. And it helps me to maintain the headset lenses cleaner since there is not risk of having oily eyelashes or stuff like that eventually touching the lenses.

But when I stop to really clean the headset lenses I use a Lenspen. I first use a blower then the brush then the pen. Same process I use for photo equipment.

Microfiber cloth is something I use in a pinch or when I’m too lazy to properly clean it. I first blow it a couple of times, then do a top to bottom first pass with the cloth with zero pressure to remove bigger dust particles and just then I put some light pressure to remove any grease/oil the lenses may have.

If you use any cloth while applying some pressure without blowing the dust particles that are there already beforehand, it’s pretty much assured you will eventually end up scratching it faster.

Good stuff! Thanks for the response. I just ordered that stuff on Amazon.com right now.

This “clear glass” thing you speak of in the first paragraph, what exactly do you mean?

In regards to my current scratches, they’re not horrible. It just pisses me off more than anything. I’ll probably wait to see if some company comes out with a lens protector of sorts. Then send the headset to PlayStation to get fixed when/if that comes to fruition, or the lenses get further scratched. I have a stuck pixel in the right lens too, so I guess they’ll be able to fix that as well

Nurburgring 24h layout at midnight in torrential rain with no HUD in VR is the most immersive custom race I've ever done in GT7. I gotta say that racing high powered cars cleanly on the narrow roads of Nordschleife in complete darkness and rain was not the easiest task and it turned out to be quite close battle for victory. I highly recommend trying. Here's a recording from last night:

damn that video reminds me of Leh Keen's rain dance video around 8 years ago. GT7 VR really captured that race ambiance.

Good stuff! Thanks for the response. I just ordered that stuff on Amazon.com right now.

This “clear glass” thing you speak of in the first paragraph, what exactly do you mean?

In regards to my current scratches, they’re not horrible. It just pisses me off more than anything. I’ll probably wait to see if some company comes out with a lens protector of sorts. Then send the headset to PlayStation to get fixed when/if that comes to fruition, or the lenses get further scratched. I have a stuck pixel in the right lens too, so I guess they’ll be able to fix that as well
Glasses, sorry! I’ve been using a clear shooting glasses I had laying around here, those that you use for protection, no prescription no nothing. I found out that it made it easier for me to set the the distance of the headset in a way that doesn’t hurt my nose bridge. Without it I have the tendency to push the headset too far in and after a few minutes my nose starts to hurt. As a bonus all the usual oily junk goes to the glasses instead of the headset lens, and that is easier to clean and to replace.

Lenspen is good stuff, I use it for all the camera lenses I have here and by following the proper cleaning order you reduce the chance of scratching stuff during cleaning by a considerable amount.

Maybe just by using it you may at least reduce those micro-scratches a bit. Can’t say for sure because plastic lenses are plastic lenses.

Regarding scratches on the lenses, I inadvertently scratched mine when wearing spectacles.

I called Sony 'support'. The first fellow I spoke to was rather dismissive and said I had voided warranty. Unhappy with this (and his attitude in particular) I called a second time, and was connected to a lovely young lass who very quickly arranged free postage to Sony's repair centre, and FoC repair.

I got the headset back a week later. The freight was the holdup, because Sony actually had it in their repair facility less than a day.

I'm a very happy Sony fanboi :-)

Regarding scratches on the lenses, I inadvertently scratched mine when wearing spectacles.

I called Sony 'support'. The first fellow I spoke to was rather dismissive and said I had voided warranty. Unhappy with this (and his attitude in particular) I called a second time, and was connected to a lovely young lass who very quickly arranged free postage to Sony's repair centre, and FoC repair.

I got the headset back a week later. The freight was the holdup, because Sony actually had it in their repair facility less than a day.

I'm a very happy Sony fanboi :-)

How much did they charge you?

Nurburgring 24h layout at midnight in torrential rain with no HUD in VR is the most immersive custom race I've ever done in GT7. I gotta say that racing high powered cars cleanly on the narrow roads of Nordschleife in complete darkness and rain was not the easiest task and it turned out to be quite close battle for victory. I highly recommend trying. Here's a recording from last night:

Have to try this. Really love the feeling of the spa 1 hour race and also did a through the night custom race at Nordschleife. If Spa is anything to go by, I imagine the rain really amps things up at Nordschleife too.

Assume cars didn't start indicating to let you through then?

B80
Have to try this. Really love the feeling of the spa 1 hour race and also did a through the night custom race at Nordschleife. If Spa is anything to go by, I imagine the rain really amps things up at Nordschleife too.

Assume cars didn't start indicating to let you through then?
A couple of them did, it seems a bit random. That Spa 1 hour race is awesome too.

What am I missing here? Sit down to drive for 10 or 15 minutes and once again, it went into scan the room mode. I DON'T NEED TO SCAN THE ROOM. I'M PLAYING A GAME IN SITTING MODE. Why? What prompts it to sometime just start right up and ask which mode I want, I select sitting mode, and move right on and start playing the game. Other times, for reasons I haven't figured out yet, it has to go through the scan the room BS, which takes several minutes, then may or may not get what it needs, and after I've sat there patiently looking around for what seems like forever, it fails and I have to start all over. I just want to sit down and drive, but instead I have **** with this thing around in circles. Why can't I skip the BS room scanning? What prompts it to sometimes require a scan and sometimes not? What am I missing?

Just tried it again and I timed it. 10 minutes of scanning the room and nothing. How ****** long are we expected to sit there and let it scan? No progress and nothing to tell us if it's working or not (it obviously isn't).

Last edited by a moderator:
Just tried it again and I timed it. 10 minutes of scanning the room and nothing. How ****** long are we expected to sit there and let it scan? No progress and nothing to tell us if it's working or not (it obviously isn't)
I made a post about my fixes for scanning issues on page 99 and I seem to be clear of scanning issues in GT7 (which i play nearly daily) since making those changes. Hope you can get it resolved too.

Last edited:
I made a post about my fixes for scanning issues on page 99 and I seem to be clear of scanning issues in GT7 (which i play nearly daily) since making those changes. Hope you can get it resolved too.
Thanks for the reply. I still have two questions. The first is why is it random? Nothing changed. It worked fine yesterday. It worked fine last night. It worked fine the night before that. Didn't have to do a scan, just turned it on and played. Everything in my room is exactly the same. Same lighting. Same chair sitting 6 feet from the same TV. Same steering wheel. Same furniture in the same place. Tonight, it didn't. Which brings me to my second question. Once it goes into this scan the room mode, there is, apparently, no way out? There, apparently, is no way to skip this step, even though it is unnecessary. Is that true, or am I missing something that I could be doing to just skip the scan mode? And once it's scanning, why does it just go on and on and on, without any indication of what it needs. After 10 minutes, I quit. Couldn't get back into the game or anything. Had to power down and restart PS5. Did a scan again, and it seemed to get what it needed in 20 seconds or so. So, again, my two questions are, why is it random and inconsistent, and am I missing something in the controls or menu that would allow me to skip this nonsense and go straight to sitting and playing the game as intended.

And once it's scanning, why does it just go on and on and on, without any indication of what it needs. After 10 minutes, I quit.
Weird. I've had to scan my room twice in the past 3 weeks. I look around until everything around me turns blue and it's done. Takes about 20 seconds. Doesn't it turn blue for you as an indication of what it needs?

I also have issues with the scan from time to time.

I hope they can improve this part of the software a bit over time. It dosen't make sense why it keeps asking me if I want to play seated everytime I take a go, or asking me to rescan again, even when I did not change anything compared to my last session

I also got mine from HonsVR just yesterday. They fit really nicely onto the PSVR2 headset. They come with a nice little case. Each lens comes in a plastic bag labeled R|L, and each lens also has an R|L marking in its plastic "ring". There is also a microfiber cleaning cloth. It's really a very nice package. I tried driving with the HonsVR prescription lenses, it was much more comfortable than driving with glasses. I also noticed I needed to make my IPD smaller (pretty much min because I have a small face). I did a couple short races, no problems with fogging or anything like that. Highly recommended.

View attachment 1241719
I ordered from this company on Saturday - looking forward to receiving them soon

Absolutely love the PS VR2. Got it day 1 and aside from lazy grinding on the pad sometimes when I don't feel like setting up the wheelstand, I've not driven outside of the VR on the wheel.

Image quality seems to be the hottest topic of debate, and I feel this is due to bolstered expectations. I believe PS VR2 will be many people's first proper VR experience, and with all the reviews and feedback hyping it up as "crystal clear" etc, I think alot of people are expecting TV/Monitor level of clarity. This is simply not the case, and those who have had any VR experience know that, but can lead those who are taking their first steps into VR into disappointment. The PS VR2 is widely considered to be among the best headset out there, especially considering the price. When its being hyped and praised for it's clarity, it's not being compared to 4K tv's or monitors, but other VR headsets.

The immersion is amazing, I've already spent hours in VR Showroom, and I just enjoy driving anything. I feel like I'm experiencing every car in the game for the first time again.

I do hope we get more HUD options to set it up as we like, I think the lack of any delta times is my biggest complaint, but overall the experience is nothing short of phenomenal.

I did, however, run into troubles wearing headphones with it. I used a SteelSeries Arctis 7P, and it's not a good fit with the PS VR2. Temporarily I used the earphones that came with it, and they're better then I expected, while not great. Eventually I bought the Pulse 3D headset, and it is a snug fit for me, and if anything, helps keeping the headset in the sweetspot.

The ease of use is great, especially compared to the original PS VR. One USB C cable to the front of the PS5. That's it.

Overall, I'm a very happy camper! :D

I also have issues with the scan from time to time.

I hope they can improve this part of the software a bit over time. It dosen't make sense why it keeps asking me if I want to play seated everytime I take a go, or asking me to rescan again, even when I did not change anything compared to my last session
Had this problem a lot a few weeks ago, then I did the recalibration thingie where you have to move your view until all the orange overlay is erased and things seemed to improve.

Now depending on the light situation I get that prompt when turning on the headset. Turning it off and on once again usually fixes it.

But they really need to improve that.

Thanks for the reply. I still have two questions. The first is why is it random? Nothing changed. It worked fine yesterday. It worked fine last night. It worked fine the night before that. Didn't have to do a scan, just turned it on and played. Everything in my room is exactly the same. Same lighting. Same chair sitting 6 feet from the same TV. Same steering wheel. Same furniture in the same place. Tonight, it didn't. Which brings me to my second question. Once it goes into this scan the room mode, there is, apparently, no way out? There, apparently, is no way to skip this step, even though it is unnecessary. Is that true, or am I missing something that I could be doing to just skip the scan mode? And once it's scanning, why does it just go on and on and on, without any indication of what it needs. After 10 minutes, I quit. Couldn't get back into the game or anything. Had to power down and restart PS5. Did a scan again, and it seemed to get what it needed in 20 seconds or so. So, again, my two questions are, why is it random and inconsistent, and am I missing something in the controls or menu that would allow me to skip this nonsense and go straight to sitting and playing the game as intended.

Maybe it's a variable that is not generally known yet in the community or maybe you have not considered/missed.

As to the second point. I think the slow scan is because maybe 1) lighting conditions or 2) missing a particular area to scan ... i would often find that it would pop up with scan complete (or whatever the text is) when i turned my head to scan behind me or behind me and looked at the floor or ceiling after i experienced the same sort 3 or 4 minute scan. I think to improve, they could add some indicator in the display to give an indication which part of the room has been missed in the scan process.

Finally, did you also try to change your play area to a small area using the method of increasing with the blue and decreasing with the orange. I did that and made my play area just basically my rig as I sit down when playing.

If it's any consolation, i found it frustrating at the time too but once you find and correct the problem all the whole tracking problems go away (when I boot up GT7 now it always just shows my small play area now and i just click through it no scanning required). Best of Luck.

I feel some of the coolest interiors are the Super GT cars. The BR-Z GT300 feels so comforting. The dash is so far forward and it has such width that the driver feels safe/well protected in a crash. Same with the 2016 GT-R GT500. Really nice spaces to spend an hour in.

Just received my Honsvr lenses, real quick turn around about a week, ordered them last Monday. Since the release of the PSVR2, I've gone from my progressive lenses to contact lenses then back because of clarity, but with my progressive lenses was finding myself constantly adjusting the headset to stay at that sweet spot, with these Honsvr lenses it's seemed to remove the issue.

Aside, have had a couple glitches with the game, once this week and once last week on the same event, Tokyo World Touring Car 600 with the same car, Mercedes-AMG GT Black Series '20 at the start of the event when I restarted the game, because I haven't been quick enough to get over to the fuel map and set it before the game starts, the game in the headset will start slow down on the frame rate, then the game will go black in the headset, the screen will be paused on the TV, only way I've found to get the VR back is to reset the PS5, but other than that no other issues.

I read that article, pretty good except for the part where they talk about foveated rendering

"The headset even tracks eye movement to simulate how we focus in the real world."

LOL ... I found that wording odd. The headset tracks eye movement but it is really used to either take an action in game (eg aiming a weapon) OR increase amount of detail in that area while reducing detail elsewhere in order to optimize compute resources. Simulating focus was never the intent. And truthfully, everything on the screen is at a specific focal distance - both objects far away, and objects very close by.

Last edited:
I read that article, pretty good except for the part where they talk about foveated rendering

"The headset even tracks eye movement to simulate how we focus in the real world."

LOL ... I found that wording odd. The headset tracks eye movement but it is really used to either take an action in game (eg aiming a weapon) OR increase amount of detail in that area while reducing detail elsewhere in order to optimize compute resources. Simulating focus was never the intent. And truthfully, everything on the screen is at a specific focal distance - both objects far away, and objects very close by.

Yeah these people (understandably) don't know anything about the tech. It is nice though to see good reviews in specialized motoring media.

Anyone else get dazzled by sunlight reflecting off the Halo on the honda/toyota formula cars?
Tried painting it matte black but the Halo doesnt get painted it stays shiny metal.

Had a fail to track prompt during game the other day while playing GT7. It was pretty funny because right before the total failure to track it was just like I was growing and shrinking inside the car. It was a challenging funny race until the prompt ended everything.

After removing the headset I found the source of the problem to be the pitch black room I suddenly was in.

VR is fun 🤣

Weird. I've had to scan my room twice in the past 3 weeks. I look around until everything around me turns blue and it's done. Takes about 20 seconds. Doesn't it turn blue for you as an indication of what it needs?
Yes, I get blue triangles, squares, polygons, whatever all over the place, including the walls, the furniture, the floor, both sides of me and even behind me (about 240 degrees all together from looking over my left shoulder to looking over my right shoulder). I look at the ceiling, like it says, look at the floor, and all around. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but it gives me absolutely no indication of why.

Latest Posts

Back