GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,392 comments
Well maybe a new WipEout game would be a bigger promoter for PSVR2....buuut I don't see Sony really caring that much about that franchise anymore :(

Anyways this full game confirmation was what I needed to actually consider getting the PSVR2 headset!
Not sure if Wipeout can compete with GT in selling hardwares, but I'd definitively love to see another episode on PSVR2 :)

So apparently the VR2 headset also has a haptic feedback. I wonder if GT7 will use it to translate the car vibration or a crash feedback. Could be really cool.

Last edited:
I saw this on the resetera forum. The odd thing is that this is on PS4 according to the poster. He had his PSVR plugged in while playing GT7. We know there is no VR on PS4 and it's unclear whether he could actually watch the replay in VR or not but this further cements my belief that GT7 was made with VR in mind from the very beginning, very possibly as an ultimatum by Sony.

That would also give credence to my theory that the inexplicable reduction of Sport Mode lobbies from 24, then to 20, and now to 16 cars was done exactly to accommodate VR in the entire game. Also note the reduction in new cars and tracks in the updates compared to GTS. I do believe that PD has been very busy the last year with the PSVR2 dev kit to get it ready.

Gran_Turismo_7_20230119211520.png

I saw this on the resetera forum. The odd thing is that this is on PS4 according to the poster. He had his PSVR plugged in while playing GT7. We know there is no VR on PS4 and it's unclear whether he could actually watch the replay in VR or not but this further cements my belief that GT7 was made with VR in mind from the very beginning, very possibly as an ultimatum by Sony.

That would also give credence to my theory that the inexplicable reduction of Sport Mode lobbies from 24, then to 20, and now to 16 cars was done exactly to accommodate VR in the entire game. Also note the reduction in new cars and tracks in the updates compared to GTS. I do believe that PD has been very busy the last year with the PSVR2 dev kit to get it ready.

View attachment 1224373
Damn, that would be great to have VR replays!
I was wondering for a long time if they could implement it or not since it wasn't in GT sport, and how they would make it work.
Would it be a flying camera (not betting on this one) , a cockpit view with free camera, or a fixed stereoscopic 3D replay, which imo would be the best. Maybe you can even choose?

As for the developpement I also think that they were working on it from the start, but I'm quite sure that Kaz himself is the instigator. This man has always been a visionary and from his old interviews you can easily tell that he always had a big interest in VR and saw its potential for its future games.

GT7VR will redefine the standards for VR gaming and all other racing games will benefit from its experience I'm sure.

I'm so glad I can finally unplug my PSVR and step into next level experience in only 4 weeks! 😁

Last edited:
So apparently the VR2 headset also has a haptic feedback. I wonder if GT7 will use it to translate the car vibration or a crash feedback. Could be really cool.
Hope so, racing is perfect genre for this additional vibrations.

Damn, that would be great to have VR replays!
I was wondering for a long time if they could implement it or not since it wasn't in GT sport, and how they would make it work.
Would it be a flying camera (not betting on this one) , a cockpit view with free camera, or a fixed stereoscopic 3D replay, which imo would be the best. Maybe you can even choose?

As for the developpement I also think that they were working on it from the start, but I'm quite sure that Kaz himself is the instigator. This man has always been a visionary and from his old interviews you can easily tell that he always had a big interest in VR and saw its potential for its future games.

GT7VR will redefine the standards for VR gaming and all other racing games will benefit from its experience I'm sure.

I'm so glad I can finally unplug my PSVR and step into next level experience in only 4 weeks! 😁
It's a static camera placed alongside the track. Here's a little video of what VR Replays look like in the game

It's a static camera placed alongside the track. Here's a little video of what VR Replays look like in the game

Nice! :)

I guess that with a PSVR2 plugged in you can look at 360° and with stereoscopic 3D like if you were watching the race from the side of the track. It seems fun!

Last edited:

Nice! :)

I guess that with a PSVR2 connected you can look at 360° and with stereoscopic 3D like if you were watching the race from the side of the track. It seems fun!
I’m hoping that’s the case. Plus, I’ve been wanting to have the option of watching from one location.

This quickly became the best PSVR2 game. Unfortunately kinda hidden in CES instead of a more gaming-related event or more presence in PlayStation’s own marketing, but maybe that part will come around the launch.

This is what was hoped to be possible with their tech. Still curious to see more with hands-on coverage since it does bring a price tag that isn’t insignificant given it being dedicated to PS5 rather than being open to PC compliance as others have done (hopefully that might come via 3rd party if Sony doesn’t officially support it.)

There honestly is such a thing as VR "sea legs". There can definitely be a period before you become familiar with it.

It can cause discomfort or motion sickness initially and do take that seriously (it will only help to listen to what your body tells you). That sensation can last for a good while after, at first. Thankfully, from my experience, that period of getting “sea legs” is reasonably short-lived, and you can enjoy as you'd like.

There have also been people that had zero issues at all from the start (that wasn't me.) I’m sure there are some others that just never quite feel right.

Meanwhile, the fact that people can play active games like Beat Saber and traversal games where the camera is never stationary shows it can definitely become what's effectively a non-issue.

Also, for GT7, the fact that you're not expecting your own body movement to do anything, unlike walking around or anything like that (since VR obviously isn't 1:1 in that regard), and how the movement is fairly expected & limited to a fairly flat terrain will help this not be too big of a leap. I think GTS had some comfort settings as well (expecting this to be a bit better for comfort, too.)

You also probably shouldn't jump into the Tomahawk or anything right away... you wouldn't feel comfortable driving that in person so you likely won't feel the best about it in VR. You have to kinda get to know the driving experience, too.
Spot on, good advice for those starting in VR.
I was fairly lucky with not getting too much of that VR Sea legs experience.
A few flying games were great sensations in VR, especially Ace Combat 7.
The one that used to make me feel strange was in DR1, spinning and firing backwards off the road at speed with the trees wizzing forwards past the car.

I'm hoping they've allowed for connections to a buttkicker , a game changer in vr ..I sprint/hillclimb a clio and MGwhich is basically time trial , so psvr was perfect for me ..PSVR 2 with better graphics is a godsend ..I will mainly be using the time trial on this too but online play will be unbelievable

I prefer 1000x a track editor than this... This because, I have no PSVR (nor want) and new circuits are always welcome.

I want both. VR is done by now probably with a a few tweaks before launch. Now they can give us a track editor. That would be so sweet.

My biggest complaint about the original PSVR was a terrible drifting issue. When you play with a wheel after a 10-minute race you find yourself facing in a different direction which is super annoying. I hope they will fix that.

I wish they would bring back track editor too, how can you give us that excellent feature and then take it away?!
I want both. VR is done by now probably with a a few tweaks before launch. Now they can give us a track editor. That would be so sweet.
I know one thing has nothing to do with the other. I spoke only because this feature is mostly for the rich, contrary to what Kaz says, make games for everyone. It is also known that adding new circuits costs money, a simple creator as well they know how to do, divert all staff.

My biggest complaint about the original PSVR was a terrible drifting issue. When you play with a wheel after a 10-minute race you find yourself facing in a different direction which is super annoying. I hope they will fix that.

That was caused by the useless eyetoy camera not being able to keep track of the lights on the headset and controllers. No external camera this time so no problem.

The tracking has been completely replaced with a new inside-out system. I would expect it to work better

Okay, then… big question: Does his quote below mean we’ll have VGT cars with full interiors or blacked out interiors like in GTPSP and Standard car interiors?
We’re thrilled that Gran Turismo 7 will be a PS VR2 launch title! Through a free upgrade, for those who have already purchased Gran Turismo 7, players will experience all cars and tracks in VR like never before. GT7 in VR takes full advantage of PS VR2’s next gen features. With eye tracking and foveated rendering, players will experience stunning visual fidelity while racing IN ANY of the 450+ cars. While 2-player splitscreen races are not supported in VR, all other races, including online races, will be available. From the Nürburgring to Tsukuba, tracks can be experienced exactly as they are in real life.
– Kazunori Yamauchi, President of Polyphony Digital

Okay, then… big question: Does his quote below mean we’ll have VGT cars with full interiors or blacked out interiors like in GTPSP and Standard car interiors?
In GT Sport, the VGT cars without interior views were just not selectable in VR. I imagine it will be the same here, don't think that quote is saying all the cars are selectable but rather that all selectable cars will have "stunning visual fidelity". Maybe they implemented external cams in VR this time and they'll be selectable too though

In GT Sport, the VGT cars without interior views were just not selectable in VR. I imagine it will be the same here, don't think that quote is saying all the cars are selectable but rather that all selectable cars will have "stunning visual fidelity". Maybe they implemented external cams in VR this time and they'll be selectable too though
I can understand his mistranslated posts, but I guess it’s an official translation. Sure, we’ll find out what cars, but saying “in any of the 450+”(454+1 according to the gtp car list) reads like all.

Last edited:
I'm hoping they've allowed for connections to a buttkicker , a game changer in vr ..I sprint/hillclimb a clio and MGwhich is basically time trial , so psvr was perfect for me ..PSVR 2 with better graphics is a godsend ..I will mainly be using the time trial on this too but online play will be unbelievable
You can run a Buttkicker right now so you will definitely be able to with VR.

If it can help people still playing PSVR, what I do with GT sport is putting my rig really close to the TV and putting my camera above it. I can play the game 3 hours in a row without any tracking issue!

Last edited:
You can run a Buttkicker right now so you will definitely be able to with VR.
but will you be able to run one while using the headset's audio? I'm running homemade buttkicker and this is something that worries me, I assume if we use external speakers or headphones we can split the audio, but if we are running the PSVR2's built-in sound we wont be able to

Last edited:
but will you be able to run one while using the headset's audio? I'm running homemade buttkicker and this is something that worries me, I assume if we use external speakers or headphones we can split the audio, but if we are running the PSVR2's built-in sound we wont be able to

You can using simhub as that uses the real time telemetry data over udp on your local network by passing any audio output from the ps5

Back