GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,389 comments
In GT Sport, the VGT cars without interior views were just not selectable in VR. I imagine it will be the same here, don't think that quote is saying all the cars are selectable but rather that all selectable cars will have "stunning visual fidelity". Maybe they implemented external cams in VR this time and they'll be selectable too though
No VGT cars in VR? I mean can this announcement get any better!?

You can using simhub as that uses the real time telemetry data over udp on your local network by passing any audio output from the ps5
I don't follow, are you saying there is an audio stream that goes through network?

I think the Interior views, no hud, will be the ultimate way to experience GT7 with PSVR2.
To answer an earlier concerns that I read while going through the many pages of this thread:
  • Interior views should greatly help reducing/avoiding motion sickness
  • The headset is hdr so I am hopeful that that the darker shades of the dashboard will not suffer from black crushes like when playing PS5 games on SDR tv.
  • It is fair to say more realism won't translate into faster time. (Personnaly, to shave few milleseconds of lap time, I always go bumper cam).

Another selling point for this game in VR, is the expectation that the plug and play experience will be carefully crafted by PD.
It will worth replaying the whole solo campaign in this mode.

Very exiting time for GT fans.

Having no HUD on is all fun and good until you need to mess with the fuel settings or TC (during standing starts).

Yeah thats what I wondered, when hearing people not using HUD a few months back. Love the way it looked, but seemed totally impractical. So turned it right back on again.

Maybe theres some config I'm missing out on. I use Fanatec wheel.

The inability to customize the HUD has been a point on my PD **** list for a very long time. One could argue that one would no longer need the radar since VR would allow you to look around. But things like weather races where you need to see if/when the rain is coming and how hard. It would be cool if you could place that, and only that, somewhere on the screen. Or the fuel map, TC, or whatever else one would need to use.

Anyway, I digress.

That's a good point, I wonder how that will be covered.

Best case scenario would probably be to hide the HUD until you press a button to change something, in which case it pops up, I'd be happy with that.
That's exactly it; a HUD that only appears when you hit the MFD buttons (left or right on dpad makes sense).

Besides that, the other HUD elements should have an option to switch off, there's so much clutter. I don't want to see a tachometer, speed gauge, telemetry etc most of the time, GT's HUD uses up so much screen real-estate.

As I said in a prior post, let's see if the VR update has induced a HUD overhaul/customisation update, I certainly hope this is the case.

What would be good is if you could have an option to use the wheel attached to the PS5 within the game with a rendered LDC screen representing the hud. Would be fine for the racing cars

I'm really excited that the game will be fully playable in VR !

But I think we shouldn't expect too much either and lower our expectations because
1) Kaz said recently that he doesn't believe in elitist hardware (PSVR2 is more expensive than entry level DD...)
2) The VR in GT Sport was not really well implemented :
Easily achievable / small dev
- Lock camera to cockpit* (to prevent motion sickness)
- VR Time trials Mode -> done in 1.15
  • Watch replays in VR* : our replays but also the ones we download from the best players
  • VR Drive : let us select opponent car and AI level, number of laps, grip reduction, boost, damage ... (the same options we have in custom race even if it is only for one car)
  • Lobby 1 vs 1 in VR (a simple option in the lobby to allow 2 players maximum)
  • Add Nordschleife Touristenfahrten layout

Achievable / medium dev
  • VR Showroom : let us select backgrounds like in the Home menu (garage, pit, designed place and more ?)
  • Watch replays in VR with another point of view : let us watch it from the passenger’s view (or simply let us move the camera in the car where we want)

Dream features / big dev
  • VR Drive : Increase the number of competitors on PS4 Pro
  • Make the full game playable in VR on PS4 Pro

Lock camera to cockpit*
In Wipeout and Dirt Rally you have the "Lock camera to cockpit" option, this means that if you do not move your head IRL then your head stay at the exact same position in the car. Unfortunately this is not the case in GT Sport, you can clearly see that your head is moving inside the car, forward (when breaking), backward (when accelerating), tilting (on banked turn) etc... And this is really disturbing and can cause motion sickness especially when you use a wheel because you can feel with your hands that it is not moving but in the game it is moving… With a "Lock camera to cockpit" for the PSVR (or an option to Lock the camera on "cockpit” or “driver") it could really make the game more enjoyable with less motion sickness.

Watch replays in VR*
This could be a great experience especially now with eSport being such an important part of the game. Watch Nurburgring world records from the best GT Sport players in VR could be breathtaking and this option is so easy to achieve ! Watching this from the passenger’s view could also be amazing.

Usually the first VR GT Sport experience isn’t good because people do not necessarily know the game and it’s difficult for them to make a clean lap (lot of crashes etc…) and because of that they feel sick really quickly. If they could do a lap just as a viewer (from driver’s view or passenger’s view) it could be an amazing (the best ?) VR demo out there.
I can easily understand why they did not make PS4 Pro only features (Sony is probably against it) but all the other features were achievable but only one had been added... Not a single option to adjust the camera...

I'm not really confident that they will put a lot of effort into this PSVR2 support. The fact that we didn't see a proper GT7 trailer to sell the PSVR2 is a bad sign IMO.

I hope I'm wrong :confused:

Last edited:
I'm really excited that the game will be fully playable in VR !

But I think we shouldn't expect too much either and lower our expectations because
1) Kaz said recently that he doesn't believe in elitist hardware (PSVR2 is more expensive than entry level DD...)
2) The VR in GT Sport was not really well implemented :

I can easily understand why they did not make PS4 Pro only features (Sony is probably against it) but all the other features were achievable but only one had been added... Not a single option to adjust the camera...

I'm not really confident that they will put a lot of effort into this PSVR2 support. The fact that we didn't see a proper GT7 trailer to sell the PSVR2 is a bad sign IMO.

VR was shoehorned into Sport rather late and they had to create a mode around it. Also, the PSVR1 was a very rudimentary headset even when it launched. GT7 has the advantage of having not only experience but the PSVR2 was announced to devs along with the PS5 (not to mention polyphony digital has insider assistance from Sony) and the PSVR2 is high-end even compared to $1000 headsets in the PC space. On top of that, this will not be a simple streamlined VR mode, it's the full game adapted to VR and we have seen many other racing games adapt to VR just fine post-launch.
I do agree the lack of a proper trailer is concerning.

Yes gt7 is designed for PSVR2. Ever wondered wij the main home worldmap is in 3D….Hagerty is a 3D garage so is Brand Central. I suspect a System selling VR experience will be delivered next month. We might even get a visual upgrade in VR due to the Fofeated Rendering and ps5 only device target. Hopefully Sony call it an “Upgrade” insteas of an “Update” for a good reason 👍

but will you be able to run one while using the headset's audio? I'm running homemade buttkicker and this is something that worries me, I assume if we use external speakers or headphones we can split the audio, but if we are running the PSVR2's built-in sound we wont be able to
Why wouldn’t you be able to split the headphone out port?

Just connect a splitter on the headset and run 1 to headphones and 1 to the buttkickers. That’s how I did it with PSVR 1 on GT Sport.

EDIT: Just went down the rabbit hole of Simhub mentioned a few posts back. Yep that's the way to go. The issue with using sound as we have been, is that being in party chat sets off the bass shakers which is annoying, plus the wind in the game etc. Simhub will let us use just the telemetry so we can run audio with no effect to it. Plus it will let us customize the bass shakers for different things. I plan to run a small Dayton puck on my brake pedal using this 3D print mod for the Sprint pedals. This will be for wheel lockup.

Last edited:
What are the chances that one can operate PS5 with PSVR2 as the only display? As in, no TV or monitor attached. I really don't use my PS5 for anything else than GT7, so am kinda intrigued by the possibilty of a separate VR only rig.
I can turn on my PS5 with TV turned off so.... why not?

I also wonder is it possible to watch something else on TV while another person plays on PSVR2? Logically it shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:
This is exactly what im gonna do
I'd imagine all well and good aside from firmware upgrades and game updates etc. That stuff will likely need a screen...

I'm not entirely convinced the menus will be in VR either, I can well imagine it being 2D until you're either in the car or in a specific 'showroom' / spectate mode.

Why wouldn’t you be able to split the headphone out port?

Just connect a splitter on the headset and run 1 to headphones and 1 to the buttkickers. That’s how I did it with PSVR 1 on GT Sport.

EDIT: Just went down the rabbit hole of Simhub mentioned a few posts back. Yep that's the way to go. The issue with using sound as we have been, is that being in party chat sets off the bass shakers which is annoying, plus the wind in the game etc. Simhub will let us use just the telemetry so we can run audio with no effect to it. Plus it will let us customize the bass shakers for different things. I plan to run a small Dayton puck on my brake pedal using this 3D print mod for the Sprint pedals. This will be for wheel lockup.
Yeah I'm going down the simhub rabbit hole, had no idea we had so many tactile options available to us. going to rig a 2nd motor and a fan next :)

So apparently the VR2 headset also has a haptic feedback. I wonder if GT7 will use it to translate the car vibration or a crash feedback. Could be really cool.
The pessimist in me is worried it'll be as bad as the FFB for my wheel lol.
Damn, that would be great to have VR replays!
I agree and hadn't considered the possibility. I'd love to watch replays from iconic viewpoints in the stands.

It will worth replaying the whole solo campaign in this mode.
Yep, I would have never touched the solo campaign again if not for this. I've actually stopped playing the game entirely because I'm just anxious to play in VR.

I understand your pessimism but I feel that it isn't up to Kaz/PD. I'm sure that Sony is all-but telling them that this is happening and it needs to be done right. PS VR2 is a HUGE investment for Sony and they're not going to let Kaz's quirky BS get in the way.

We've seen MS lay off/halt dev in the VR/AR space and I believe Apple is delaying one of their headsets. GT7 is definitely a system(VR) seller, they have to get it right.

What are the chances that one can operate PS5 with PSVR2 as the only display? As in, no TV or monitor attached. I really don't use my PS5 for anything else than GT7, so am kinda intrigued by the possibilty of a separate VR only rig.
You can. When not playing a VR game the headset enters cinema mode, which is a virtual 1080p 120hz screen so you can still use the UI

We've seen MS lay off/halt dev in the VR/AR space and I believe Apple is delaying one of their headsets. GT7 is definitely a system(VR) seller, they have to get it right.
Absolutely -- hopefully it can induce VR guys to enter the world of sim racing, I think a LOT of PSVR 2 owners are going to buy GT7 for the visual showcase alone, even if they're not racing fans. I can only assume some massive marketing drive is about to begin, hopefully this gets consumers clamouring because they should!

VR is a tough one to crack because it is -- innately -- a prohibitively expensive product, to the point that I'm not sure how mass adoption would even work. Very few consumers will double down on their console expense for any reason, unless they have a very high disposable income or a hard-on for VR. You could proceed with a much cheaper product, but then you're back to the "VR as a gimmick" space, which is doing the technology a massive disservice.

Then you have weirdos like me who will spend what, 4x/5x times their console expense to just play two games in a sim rig....and now one in VR.

Absolutely -- hopefully it can induce VR guys to enter the world of sim racing, I think a LOT of PSVR 2 owners are going to buy GT7 for the visual showcase alone, even if they're not racing fans. I can only assume some massive marketing drive is about to begin, hopefully this gets consumers clamouring because they should!

VR is a tough one to crack because it is -- innately -- a prohibitively expensive product, to the point that I'm not sure how mass adoption would even work. Very few consumers will double down on their console expense for any reason, unless they have a very high disposable income or a hard-on for VR. You could proceed with a much cheaper product, but then you're back to the "VR as a gimmick" space, which is doing the technology a massive disservice.

Then you have weirdos like me who will spend what, 4x/5x times their console expense to just play two games in a sim rig....and now one in VR.

Good points you raise here.

Dedicated gaming VR will be a costly niche for many years to come. Quest 2 is a cheap(ish) entry to VR but since it is basically a mobile device, you really need a $2,000 PC to really take advantage of it for dedicated gaming. I don't see standalone HMDs like that to be viable for serious gaming for at least another ten years. However, PCVR and console VR is now able to provide good VR gaming at mid-range prices.

The PCVR scene is pretty much dead right now, with no AAA games planned for 2023 and the market completely bereft of HMD offerings for less than $1,000 (omitting the Quest 2, of course). Of course all the established racing sims have VR on PC but we are talking about games that are many years old already (even ACC is almost five years old).

On the hardware front, mid-range, affordable, and good performing headsets like the Rift S and Samsung Odyssey+ are long gone with nothing on the horizon to replace them. And Microsoft throwing in the towel on VR makes the PS5+PSVR2 that much more important, and even an inflection point, in VR gaming.

The PS5+PSVR2 combo has the specs, the functionality and the pricing to reinvigorate VR gaming and if it turns out as well as it seems it will based on specs and games showed so far, Sony will become the instant VR leader.

GT7 in VR is a huge milestone for console racing and I'm surprised this isn't being talked about more. It's a killer app, a system seller and will surely attract many new VR players. If more racing games come out with PSVR2 (like WRC23) it will likely begin to attract some PC players as well.

This has all the ingredients to be a huge hit. If the excellent impressions from CES translate to reality on 22 Feb then we are in for a new dawn in VR gaming.

Good points you raise here.

Dedicated gaming VR will be a costly niche for many years to come. Quest 2 is a cheap(ish) entry to VR but since it is basically a mobile device, you really need a $2,000 PC to really take advantage of it for dedicated gaming. I don't see standalone HMDs like that to be viable for serious gaming for at least another ten years. However, PCVR and console VR is now able to provide good VR gaming at mid-range prices.

The PCVR scene is pretty much dead right now, with no AAA games planned for 2023 and the market completely bereft of HMD offerings for less than $1,000 (omitting the Quest 2, of course). Of course all the established racing sims have VR on PC but we are talking about games that are many years old already (even ACC is almost five years old).

On the hardware front, mid-range, affordable, and good performing headsets like the Rift S and Samsung Odyssey+ are long gone with nothing on the horizon to replace them. And Microsoft throwing in the towel on VR makes the PS5+PSVR2 that much more important, and even an inflection point, in VR gaming.

The PS5+PSVR2 combo has the specs, the functionality and the pricing to reinvigorate VR gaming and if it turns out as well as it seems it will based on specs and games showed so far, Sony will become the instant VR leader.

GT7 in VR is a huge milestone for console racing and I'm surprised this isn't being talked about more. It's a killer app, a system seller and will surely attract many new VR players. If more racing games come out with PSVR2 (like WRC23) it will likely begin to attract some PC players as well.

This has all the ingredients to be a huge hit. If the excellent impressions from CES translate to reality on 22 Feb then we are in for a new dawn in VR gaming.
Very interesting topic!

One thing that prevents VR to become as big as standard gaming is that the average player just sees it as a pricey accessory. But it's more comparable to a whole new gaming hardware in my opinion. It gives access to hundreds of new games or a totally different perspective on games already existing. The PSVR2 will have more than 30 titles at launch, and in 40 years I can't remember of any console launching with that many titles! PSVR was the beginning of mass produced VR. It wasn't as convincing as it is today, and we had to wait before seeing games fully exploiting it.
I've seen some young people buying the PSVR at launch and reselling it within a week because of the poor resolution or just the lack of interesting games lasting more than 2 hours. Not speaking of the majority of players who didn't even have move controllers and had half-baked experiences, or the fact that connecting and configuring the PSVR was such a tedious process that many people tried it once, put it away, and never used it again...

But with PSVR2 it's totally different. You have a high end device that benefits from 6 years of other VR headsets experience and improvements, a huge load of full-fledged games, some of them which you could play for hundreds or even thousands of hours like GT7, and you can connect it to your PS5 with a single cable and the configuration is apparently really user-friendly.

I think that if Sony doesn't make much efforts on marketing and showcasing the PSVR2, it's because they are confident with their product.
In one month the PSVR2 will be all over the internet, with thousands and thousands of Youtubers and streamers broadcasting it on all the main platforms, and the real hype will begin along with this free advertising.

From what we've seen so far, some PSVR2 games can easily compare to the best PCVR titles running on a few thousand dollars configs.
And as good as the sim racing games are on PC, they're still a niche compared to Gran Turismo in terms of notoriety and sales. Not any other racing game, even Forza, is that big of a topic. You can easily compare it on gtplanet, youtube, or any other platform.

This kind of announement speaks to a way larger audience than a VR upgrade for Assetto Corsa or iRacing, that's not even debatable...
Plus, I assume that GT7 will be way more impressive in terms of graphics, being a great showcase for the PSVR2 and possibly creating a hype even outside of the racing gamers community.

Of course it will take some time for the PSVR2 to ship millions of units. Many players still struggle to get a PS5, and the headset seems too much expensive for most PS5 owners. But PS5 is already a 30.000.000 players market and it keeps on expanding. When those PS5 players will see some next gen VR games covered on their favorite Youtube channels, or when they will try it themselves, I guess that many people will start to save some money... and I assume that there will be very few disappointed adopters compared to what it was with the first PSVR.

Anyway, I can't wait to see how VR industry will benefit from the PSVR2 release. It sure will be some exciting years to be a VR player! :)

EDIT: @Pascalmk:
You know, you can interact with people other than with emojis and try to communicate instead of feeling butthurt everytime that someone mentions PC.

Last edited:
Back