GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,371 comments
100% so!!! There's no better game suited for VR than racing games, I should know as I play project cars 2 and IRACING in VR..and they are amazing.

As for gt7, well, GT sport on ps4 looked absolutely amazing in the headset, even though it wasn't a true game and only a showcase..
Mark my words. No full support of psvr2 in gt7..
Full psvr2 support only in gt8.
WRONG! even kaz has said himself before gt7 was even released that psvr2 would be a big aspect of it and that they couldn't wait to use the power of the PS5 for it.

100% so!!! There's no better game suited for VR than racing games, I should know as I play project cars 2 and IRACING in VR..and they are amazing.

As for gt7, well, GT sport on ps4 looked absolutely amazing in the headset, even though it wasn't a true game and only a showcase..

WRONG! even kaz has said himself before gt7 was even released that psvr2 would be a big aspect of it and that they couldn't wait to use the power of the PS5 for it.
PD works on a perfect pc port now..

I'll give you that but Kaz also said something about high frame rates before the game came out. 1440p at 90fps even would have been fantastic. Plenty of people have TVs with HDMI 2.1 and VRR.

Anyway, I don't believe GT7 will have full VR support. Not for any other reason than PD is weird.

PSVR in GTS was already well done except for the resolution of the hardware and the fact there was only 2 cars on track.
To be quite honest though, the OG psvr might not have had the best resolution, but gtsport looked absolutely BEAUTIFUL in the headset....and no one can deny that....I remember when I first tried it, and I was driving the r34 GTR, and I ACTUALLY felt like I was driving one (obviously I was using a som rig at the time, so the seating position and wheel all helped with the immersion)......I CANT WAIT for gt7 psvr2 😊

PSVR in GTS was already well done except for the resolution of the hardware and the fact there was only 2 cars on track.
does the psvr1 have a cinematic mode? Just curious what racing would be like on in this mode.

In Cinematic Mode, players can view the PS5 system and UI and all non-VR game and media content on a virtual cinema screen. Content in Cinematic Mode will be displayed in 1920×1080 HDR video format with 24/60Hz and also 120Hz frame rate.Jul 26, 2022

does the psvr1 have a cinematic mode? Just curious what racing would be like on in this mode.

In Cinematic Mode, players can view the PS5 system and UI and all non-VR game and media content on a virtual cinema screen. Content in Cinematic Mode will be displayed in 1920×1080 HDR video format with 24/60Hz and also 120Hz frame rate.Jul 26, 2022
It was possible to watch 3d movies with the PSVR (unfortunatly only 1 headset can be connected at once), and while on the homescreen you would have a flat display of it on the headset so I guess this is cinematic mode?
I am not sure if this also applied to non VR games, never tested it because I didnt consider a bigger "screen" being better than a higher resolution for me.

It was possible to watch 3d movies with the PSVR (unfortunatly only 1 headset can be connected at once), and while on the homescreen you would have a flat display of it on the headset so I guess this is cinematic mode?
I am not sure if this also applied to non VR games, never tested it because I didnt consider a bigger "screen" being better than a higher resolution for me.
Yeah you could play any game in full massive cinema screen if you wanted .....if I remember correctly, you could change the size too....I remember playing warzone on the cinema screen on the OG psvr.....I also remember watching avengers endgame 3d in the headset too!!!...looked awesome!!!!!

Yeah you could play any game in full massive cinema screen if you wanted .....if I remember correctly, you could change the size too....I remember playing warzone on the cinema screen on the OG psvr.....I also remember watching avengers endgame 3d in the headset too!!!...looked awesome!!!!!
Yes there are 3 different sizes.

I had selected the largest size to make leveling up in Gran Turismo Sport in 2D mode a bit more interesting, but got some motion sicknes 😄

Whats this?
I think he is talking about this what Nenkai found in datafiles:
FhFwl9vXwAAP7t1

FhFwl9vXwAAP7t1
Ahhh, right, thanks mate..didn't know about that one....I've been trying to find even the slightest trace of gt7 PSVR2 for ages now....hadn't seen that one....

Well, I'm pretty sure we'll get the full game as kaz even said, way before release of the game, that VR would be a big part due to the power of the ps5.... especially, bearing in mind, that GT sport VR COULD run on the PS4 pro, but they couldn't differentiate between PS4 pro and standard PS4....and PS4 was limiting factor.....so the ps5 will DEFINITELY be able to run the full game.....I reckon if anything is closed off, it'll be sport mode....mainly because they would want everything to be fair, and if you ask me, there IS an advantage in VR as you can look into the apex, check you mirrors, etc etc ......or. They might add VR specific sport mode races....I dunno....but I reckon it'll be full game ☺️☺️ I can't wait to have.my PSVR2 delivered!!!!! Switchback VR is going to be awesome!!!! Especially with the enemies that only move when you blink....and they move fast too.

FhFwl9vXwAAP7t1
...To quote the great man Jim Cornette - "You are correct sir!"...

Ahhh, right, thanks mate..didn't know about that one....I've been trying to find even the slightest trace of gt7 PSVR2 for ages now....hadn't seen that one....

Well, I'm pretty sure we'll get the full game as kaz even said, way before release of the game, that VR would be a big part due to the power of the ps5.... especially, bearing in mind, that GT sport VR COULD run on the PS4 pro, but they couldn't differentiate between PS4 pro and standard PS4....and PS4 was limiting factor.....so the ps5 will DEFINITELY be able to run the full game.....I reckon if anything is closed off, it'll be sport mode....mainly because they would want everything to be fair, and if you ask me, there IS an advantage in VR as you can look into the apex, check you mirrors, etc etc ......or. They might add VR specific sport mode races....I dunno....but I reckon it'll be full game ☺️☺️ I can't wait to have.my PSVR2 delivered!!!!! Switchback VR is going to be awesome!!!! Especially with the enemies that only move when you blink....and they move fast too.
You know what would be utterly genius?
Because of the front mounted cameras, if you looked down below a certain point, the cameras would kick in and overlay the headset vision with your real world steering wheel and gear stick if you were playing with a full set up.
So below your preset line, you could have complete control over your environment whilst wearing the headset..
Shame PD won't ever read this.

I’m not sure about you, but I was very disappointed with GT Sport and the original PSVR. It was essentially a glorified demo.

What are the chances that GT7 gets full PSVR2 support with no caveats? I’m hopeful, but probably shouldn’t be. VR in GT7 sounds like a great idea, but I don’t see many sim racers that actually use VR. You can find a ton of videos from several years ago on YouTube of people sim racing in VR, but not recently. With no support for triple or ultra wide screens on consoles, it seems GT is always destined to be just an “simcade”.

Does VR have a long term place in sim racing?

I have a vey different experience with GT sport VR. I played it at launch with a controller. There was very few VR tracks back then and I had almost no cars in my garage.

Playing it with controller was unimpressive. It breaks the immersion and it's vomit inducing. I played the game on flat screen for a few months after that (got the platinum and all of the cars except for 4 of them which are expensive af) and stopped playing it for about 2 years. Then I bought a G29 a few years ago and gave the game and VR another try. I found it fantastic just to drive all of my cars on all of the tracks at different times of day. It feels really good indeed and the cockpit details are nuts! And now that I have a DD pro it feels even better and I still play it a lot. It's from far the VR game I played the most and my favorite one with Astro Bot and Rush of Blood.

After playing it for a long time it's really difficult for me to come back to GT7 on TV. It feels like there's something missing and the sensations are totally different.

Anyway, I can't wait for VR support in GT7! That's what made me buy a PS5 and what will make me buy a PSVR2. I probably won't be able to play GT7 on TV anymore once it goes VR 😅

For those who never played GT sport on VR, here's a glimpse at what it looks like:

A top notch VR experience if you have a wheel setup and a lot of cars to try out 👍👍 (almost pointless if you don't...)

I think GT7 will have some limitations, For example, I don't think that we will be able to play races with 20 cars or so in VR, and I don't know if we could experience sport races as well, but one can hope and anyway it will be way better than GT sport :) Actually building up my arage just for it. I want to try every single car of the game in VR!

I can't wait to have.my PSVR2 delivered!!!!! Switchback VR is going to be awesome!!!! Especially with the enemies that only move when you blink....and they move fast too.
This one will be awesome for sure! 🤤
Thought I don't know if they can do better than the pigs and spiders stages. Hope we get a bunch of new giant bosses!

Last edited:
...To quote the great man Jim Cornette - "You are correct sir!"...

You know what would be utterly genius?
Because of the front mounted cameras, if you looked down below a certain point, the cameras would kick in and overlay the headset vision with your real world steering wheel and gear stick if you were playing with a full set up.
So below your preset line, you could have complete control over your environment whilst wearing the headset..
Shame PD won't ever read this.
Now this.....I LOVE!!!!!!!!! Yeah man, that would be f'ing awesome!!!!! It would help some people that aren't used to playing VR racing, so they could find their gear stick lol, and for those that have a fueltech style digidash, so they could look at that......hmmm.....maybe you should tell Microsoft??? That would DEFINITELY be something that would bode well with MR??? (Those mixed reality headsets, where they do exactly that!!! But this is the first real world instance that I could see a use for them ☺️)

I have a vey different experience with GT sport VR. I played it at launch with a controller. There was very few VR tracks back then and I had almost no cars in my garage.

Playing it with controller was unimpressive. It breaks the immersion and it's vomit inducing. I played the game on flat screen for a few months after that (got the platinum and all of the cars except for 4 of them which are expensive af) and stopped playing it for about 2 years. Then I bought a G29 a few years ago and gave the game and VR another try. I found it fantastic just to drive all of my cars on all of the tracks at different times of day. It feels really good indeed and the cockpit details are nuts! And now that I have a DD pro it feels even better and I still play it a lot. It's from far the VR game I played the most and my favorite one with Astro Bot and Rush of Blood.

After playing it for a long time it's really difficult for me to come back to GT7 on TV. It feels like there's something missing and the sensations are totally different.

Anyway, I can't wait for VR support in GT7! That's what made me buy a PS5 and what will make me buy a PSVR2. I probably won't be able to play GT7 on TV anymore once it goes VR 😅

For those who never played GT sport on VR, here's a glimpse at what it looks like:

A top notch VR experience if you have a wheel setup and a lot of cars to try out 👍👍 (almost pointless if you don't...)

I think GT7 will have some limitations, For example, I don't think that we will be able to play races with 20 cars or so in VR, and I don't know if we could experience sport races as well, but one can hope and anyway it will be way better than GT sport :) Actually building up my arage just for it. I want to try every single car of the game in VR!

See. We differ on that, the PS4 pro was powerful enough to do full races, it was the OG PS4 that was the limiting factor, and they couldn't develop two different versions for the different consoles....kaz has already said himself, before gt7 was even released, In a gt7 showcase, that vr would be a big thing for gt7 as the power of the ps5 would be extraordinary to work with, and, in all rights, I don't think that gt7 is that much more demanding than gtsport if you ask me...I mean, it's not exactly revolutionary is it??? So all that extra power, DEFINITELY be able to run full races.....though, I completely agree not being allowed in sport mode...I think that will be a thing....I reckon they'll allow it in normal online races, but not sport mode as thats the proper competitive side....I reckon that the next GT world cup will ALL be in psvr2 aswell!!!! What a way to showcase it ey?

Also, I completely agree, there's loads of cars that I can't wait to try out in VR, like my K swapped abarth 595, I can't **** to experience the wheelies in VR 😂😂😂

See. We differ on that, the PS4 pro was powerful enough to do full races, it was the OG PS4 that was the limiting factor, and they couldn't develop two different versions for the different consoles....kaz has already said himself, before gt7 was even released, In a gt7 showcase, that vr would be a big thing for gt7 as the power of the ps5 would be extraordinary to work with, and, in all rights, I don't think that gt7 is that much more demanding than gtsport if you ask me...I mean, it's not exactly revolutionary is it??? So all that extra power, DEFINITELY be able to run full races.....though, I completely agree not being allowed in sport mode...I think that will be a thing....I reckon they'll allow it in normal online races, but not sport mode as thats the proper competitive side....I reckon that the next GT world cup will ALL be in psvr2 aswell!!!! What a way to showcase it ey?

Also, I completely agree, there's loads of cars that I can't wait to try out in VR, like my K swapped abarth 595, I can't **** to experience the wheelies in VR 😂😂😂
I really hope you're right! I'm not expecting too much so that I couldn't be disappointed 😅 Already love GT sport VR anyway, but being able to play true races with dynamic weather and day/night cycle, all of this with the PSVR2 4K OLED display and the even more detailled cockpits and improved lightings of GT7, plus all the new cars and tracks, it would be a dream for me.

PCVR players on reddit tell me that I'm asking too much and will be disappointed, that even with powerful graphic cards they struggle to have a good rendering on VR racing games, but I really think that the foveated rendering will lighten the workload and that we may indeed have better graphics than most racing games on high end PCs.

For the sport races I think the same as you, we can't even use the clutch, so I can't believe they'll allow VR because of the disparities, unless they bring a dedicated VR sport mode. Being able to use it in lobbies would be great already!

As for the wheelies, you can already try to boost the AC Cobra in GT sport, it works well too 😁

I really hope you're right! I'm not expecting too much so that I couldn't be disappointed 😅 Already love GT sport VR anyway, but being able to play true races with dynamic weather and day/night cycle, all of this with the PSVR2 4K OLED display and the even more detailled cockpits and improved lightings of GT7, plus all the new cars and tracks, it would be a dream for me.

PCVR players on reddit tell me that I'm asking too much and will be disappointed, that even with powerful graphic cards they struggle to have a good rendering on VR racing games, but I really think that the foveated rendering will lighten the workload and that we may indeed have better graphics than most racing games on high end PCs.

For the sport races I think the same as you, we can't even use the clutch, so I can't believe they'll allow VR because of the disparities, unless they bring a dedicated VR sport mode. Being able to use it in lobbies would be great already!

As for the wheelies, you can already try to boost the AC Cobra in GT

As for the wheelies, you can already try to boost the AC Cobra in GT sport, it works well too 😁

Yeah man, Im.in the same frame of mind too man...always set myself up for the least, that way, anything more is a bonus 😊😊, as for the pcvr players.....I HAVE to disagree.....I used to be able to play project cars 2 VR on a gtx 970 on the oculus rift S.....not being funny or nothing, but that GPU is old man....it's a 2014 GPU....and not even highest end one of that time....and I used to crank up alot of settings, including supersampling....same with IRACING.....if I can play those games on that GPU, then I'm damn sure that we can play gt7 on the psvr2, that, as you said, has foveated rendering.....games will looked way better, way easier, on the psvr2 due to it...

not only that, but pcvr games, are usually not built as a vr game.....they are made after......takes alot more out of resources.....whereas with PSVR games, they are optimised I'm the first place for VR.....I reckon that VR code was already implemented into gt7 before release, as they already had the dev kits for it at the point of development of the game.....also, console games optimise WAY better than pc games.....console games utilize resources better......I tell you ..I wouldn't believe half the **** you read on Reddit lol....I only go there for ***** and giggles haha.

And yeah, I agree with you on the sport mode...definitely.....as for lobby's, it'll either be VR is allowed full stop, or there will be VR specific lobbys, or, people can choose whether to allow vr in their lobby, that's what it reckon.

Yeah man, Im.in the same frame of mind too man...always set myself up for the least, that way, anything more is a bonus 😊😊, as for the pcvr players.....I HAVE to disagree.....I used to be able to play project cars 2 VR on a gtx 970 on the oculus rift S.....not being funny or nothing, but that GPU is old man....it's a 2014 GPU....and not even highest end one of that time....and I used to crank up alot of settings, including supersampling....same with IRACING.....if I can play those games on that GPU, then I'm damn sure that we can play gt7 on the psvr2, that, as you said, has foveated rendering.....games will looked way better, way easier, on the psvr2 due to it...

not only that, but pcvr games, are usually not built as a vr game.....they are made after......takes alot more out of resources.....whereas with PSVR games, they are optimised I'm the first place for VR.....I reckon that VR code was already implemented into gt7 before release, as they already had the dev kits for it at the point of development of the game.....also, console games optimise WAY better than pc games.....console games utilize resources better......I tell you ..I wouldn't believe half the ** you read on Reddit lol....I only go there for *** and giggles haha.

And yeah, I agree with you on the sport mode...definitely.....as for lobby's, it'll either be VR is allowed full stop, or there will be VR specific lobbys, or, people can choose whether to allow vr in their lobby, that's what it reckon.

Would seem odd that GT7 won;t get vr, of some kind. Just hoping it isn;t some half-baked limited thing, like arcade mode only.

Just ordered mine yesterday.

Started going down IRacing rabbit hole a few months back and was considering new gpu and vr for pc, as seems most rave it about for 'serious' racing, although guess iracing is so dates, graphically, probably not a step back v playing on monitors/tv, compared to more modern racers.

B80
Would seem odd that GT7 won;t get vr, of some kind. Just hoping it isn;t some half-baked limited thing, like arcade mode only.

Started going down IRacing rabbit hole a few months back and was considering new gpu and vr for pc, as seems most rave it about for 'serious' racing, although guess iracing is so dates, graphically, probably not a step back v playing on monitors/tv, compared to more modern racers.
Everything says it should get propper VR support. Last gen standard PS4 was the problem, VR sims on PC have lower requirements than PS5s power, and with console they can focus on one hardware with better results.

It's just PD wirdness is what worries me. I hope for full proper VR support without strangeness which Kaz could imagine.

Everything says it should get propper VR support. Last gen standard PS4 was the problem, VR sims on PC have lower requirements than PS5s power, and with console they can focus on one hardware with better results.

It's just PD wirdness is what worries me. I hope for full proper VR support without strangeness which Kaz could imagine.

Music rally only if you want to enjoy vr perhaps? :D

don't give them any funny ideas :D

How we laugh right.

But I'm serious, and hopefully so are PD. Always felt its a woefully underutilized part of the game... probably the best part imo. Exactly the feature all die hard motoring enthusiasts have been waiting decades for.

(sorry bad joke, like you say, lets not give them any encouragement :D. Wouldn;t completley surprise if PD/Sony released some special headphones to fully enjoy/appreciate the sound stage from music rally. Only £299, and only compatible with Music Rally)

Last edited:
B80

To be fair, IRACING isnt exactly all about visuals....it's about realism....it's the most realistically handling SIM racer out there I thinks...that and ACC......project cars 2 a close 3rd...I loved IRACING in VR ☺️ when I had my 1080ti, I was able to crank EVERYTHING up to max, and because you can choose how much VRAM to dedicate to textures (most games don't), I was able to lob loads at it lol, considering I had 11gb of gddr5X....I'm Intrigued to use my 3080ti though, see how it looks on that.....

But as for gt7 psvr2....I couldn't see them half baking it...kaz said himself that the power of the ps5, and the way they could utilise it, would be a BIG deal for VR....so I'm expecting great things... ESPECIALLY with foveated rendering 😊in reality, it only needs to fully render two small sized parts of the panel....like...SMALL... because its viewing size is increased by the lens, and thats what matches with your eye...but in reality, it'd only be two tiny parts of the the panels..... compared to rendering on a full on 65" 4k telly....I'm sure they can do it lol

See. We differ on that, the PS4 pro was powerful enough to do full races, it was the OG PS4 that was the limiting factor, and they couldn't develop two different versions for the different consoles....
You're 100% spot on with this. Sony wouldn't allow any developer to segregate the userbase like that. PD had to create the game for the lowest common denominator.

Now that the PS4 Pro is the least powerful model to consider, we should definitely get full grids this time around.

You're 100% spot on with this. Sony wouldn't allow any developer to segregate the userbase like that. PD had to create the game for the lowest common denominator.

Now that the PS4 Pro is the least powerful model to consider, we should definitely get full grids this time around.
The VR2 won't run on the Pro, so they don't have to consider that - it's only compatible with the PS5.

The VR2 won't run on the Pro, so they don't have to consider that - it's only compatible with the PS5.
^this and since the game is so much similar to GT Sport... I am pretty certain that we will get full VR support. I just hope we won't have to wait very long for it :)

Not even that, as psvr2 is a ps5 only headset, there's only the ps5 to cater for ..so we should DEFINITELY get full grids ☺️👌

Back