GT7 & PSVR2

• Thread starter gtrotary
  • 5,385 comments
Yeah, especially considering you need to press a button that says "VR" per that VR Showroom tweet. Why isn't the whole menu system VR ready/friendly (why present something that's worded like you'd just now be entering VR), if it were to have VR support throughout, and why is that showcase then not just a general-purpose showcase that supports VR as well as non-VR? It does seem like this implementation is calling out & providing individual features that support VR rather than simply having VR work with the whole game.

Then again, this could be for demonstration purposes while the whole game being VR could still be getting worked on & could be coming later. Can't really say one way or the other, though. It sure would be amazing if they did make the main game VR-friendly as discussed above, but I'm also not getting my hopes up after seeing that screenshot.

Last edited:
To be honest seeing VR Showroom as a button in "normal mode" GT7 does give me hope that it will be just "VR support in all aspects of game" instead of VR dedicated mode...

In GT Sport you needed to launch separate game mode to play in VR, here we see VR's features UI elements in normal Menu.
I'm very hopeful we'll get full PSVR2 support, there isn't a technical reason for it not to happen. TBH, there will be zero PSVR2 sales generated if they only implement showroom viewing. This is a premium product on powerful hardware. Sim racing is one of the few genres that's established itself in the VR world.

I loved Sport with the PSVR but an anxious to get the PSVR2 for GT7. However, I've learned my lesson and will wait for an official reveal of ALL features before ordering.

@sonnyboychris I'm thinking I might even wait to see PSVR2 working on PC before ordering. That's a fair amount of money where it being locked to PS5 is missing out on the value that it also working with PC would otherwise provide. The original PSVR was made to work with PC so I'm hopeful (this then using a setup that's more similar to others on the market than the original PSVR), but it wasn't all that great to work with & could still have some odd hurdle/limitation that makes it problematic so I'm also waiting to see more before I actually get it. GT7 coming to PSVR2 then is the other key thing.

So the 2 things I want a PSVR2 for are both not officially announced/supported at this time. Definitely not going to get it based on hopes of something that might never come and/or is a letdown.

VR is definitely demanding with consoles being more modestly priced compared to what's possible with top-end PC hardware. GT Sport showed just how demanding it is to have what's effectively a dual screen output with a high & stable FPS (generally wanting to be at 90fps or above with no stutters or drops for a good VR experience.)

You can even see it with the way split-screen has been handled in the Gran Turismo series as well... the second perspective being rendered has them reducing the number of cars in a race and/or reducing visual fidelity to make it possible while maintaining a good FPS.

Now, GT7 is cross-gen so PS5 could make the rendering quality more akin to the PS4 when in VR to improve FPS while ideally not needing to create those assets/settings from scratch. Also PSVR2 will includes some great new tech like foveated rendering and eye tracking (as well as the PS5 having its own improvements with guaranteeing an SSD, improved dynamic resolution scaling, improved shader handling, etc.) so it should be able to be more efficient in serving up the level of quality & complexity one might want/expect compared to GT Sport's VR mode. Also GT7 is better than GTS in having cars offer in-car views (I recall some cars in GTS simply didn't have an in-car view at all so VR with that car obviously wouldn't work), but I have seen some cars in GT7 where being in-car and looking back doesn't render the interior like it does with others (hopefully this was a case where the rear view of the car just doesn't let you see what's behind you so they did it as a gameplay concession rather than the interior missing that part & them wanting to hide that fact.) Does that mean we'll be able to have the full set of tracks, cars, number of cars in a race, etc.? Only time will tell.

That all being said, they haven't announced it having VR at all so far. I'd still be happy with a VR mode similar to GTS over not having VR at all (being able to actually look around inside & drive those cars in VR is great even when it's just a head-to-head race or whatever it needs to be.) However, it doesn't seem like it should be impossible to get this expanded to the full experience (which is definitely what people would want) where it can then be considered one of the top games for VR. We just need to see if they want to make the concessions on rendering quality (ideally using foveated rendering to improve the perceivable impact of this), resolution (at least considering the native display resolution of the headset vs what dynamic resolution scaling & foveated rendering might need to do), etc. that might be required to make it happen. Also, it could come after PSVR2 launches after things mature and/or they have a team able to put this all together.
POPPYCOCK....I used to play project cars 2 fully in VR, that's the campaign, AND online....and that's one of the best racing sims out there, and I played it using a amd fx8500 and a gtx970......now....if THOSE specs can run a PROPER racing simulator in VR, then the ps5 can do it piece of piss....same as a 1080ti can easily run iRacin, ac, ACC, project cars, automobilista 2 etc etc etc in VR.....so yes....the ps5 should be able to run gt7 in VR piece of piss, considering the high end CPU and GPU that are in them....they are more powerful that the most commonly specced pc on steam, and those machines can play racing sims on VR too....

Plus. Not being funny...I don't believe that PD fully utilised the power of the ps5 for gt7 in the first place....more than likely to leave room for VR...if you see the difference of how the new Forza looks ok the series X, compared to how gt7 looks...they DEFINITELY left a decent bit of horsepower on the table....

Plus, p.d have already said that the future of gt7 will definitely see VR having a big role....so....I reckon they purposely left power on the table to account for the power needed to run it in VR....being a Sony game, they would have had inside knowledge of what kind of specs the psvr2 headset would have, and how much it would need to utilise..

I pre-ordered psvr2 yesterday. Ill use it besides GT7, but here’s to hoping this gets done properly. I loved VR in iRacing.
Nice one man!!!! Me too brother!!! I clicked the invite link midnight and kept the page on the live countdown until 10am 😂😂 dedication!!! I ended up being one of the first in the queue as I was able to preorder in litreally like less than a minuite....I'm well buzzed man.....I can't wait to play corssfire, switchback VR, resident evil 8: village, aswell as firewall: ultra......but...the game I'm most anticipating...is gt7 of course....as it will breathe new life into it....and kaz did originally say that the future of gran turismo was VR, and that they could do big things due to the power of the ps5...so, to me, that implies that vr will be a thing.....and that it will be the fu game as they won't have to pander to the PS4 as it can be a psvr2 only title ☺️👌

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-11-15-09-55-13-99_e307a3f9df9f380ebaf106e1dc980bb6.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-11-15-09-55-13-99_e307a3f9df9f380ebaf106e1dc980bb6.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 22
Nice. I meant to hop on right when it live and forgot, middle of work for me. Ended up remembering a few hours later and got one.
Awww, that was lucky then...I'm glad you got one though pal....its funny, when I was in the queue, it said "no need to worry, there's plenty enough for everyone".....even though in the small print for the original invite, it said that it wasn't guaranteed to activate get one as it was "while stocks last"....like, you'd think they'd only send out the same amount of invites as they have headsets.....I dunno man... conflicting info though 😂.....but yeah. I can't wait man.....I'm a bit worried though, I'm waiting for Sony to get back to me via email as I was hoping they'd take payment there and then, like when you pre-order a game....but no...they won't take it until, UP TO 5 days before release...and even then you don't actually know when....I'd prefer to just pay for it and be done... because as far as I'm concerned, it's not mine until it's payed for....I've emailed them to see if there's a way I can pay for it now instead of waiting.... especially with how the economy is ATM....it's a pain ...I don't see why they force you to pay instantly for pre-ordered games, but not headset ....

Still....I can't wait man...I'm buzzing for the release..

@sonnyboychris I'm thinking I might even wait to see PSVR2 working on PC before ordering. That's a fair amount of money where it being locked to PS5 is missing out on the value that it also working with PC would otherwise provide. The original PSVR was made to work with PC so I'm hopeful (this then using a setup that's more similar to others on the market than the original PSVR), but it wasn't all that great to work with & could still have some odd hurdle/limitation that makes it problematic so I'm also waiting to see more before I actually get it. GT7 coming to PSVR2 then is the other key thing.

So the 2 things I want a PSVR2 for are both not officially announced/supported at this time. Definitely not going to get it based on hopes of something that might never come and/or is a letdown.
I'm hoping that Sony's newfound strategy of releasing PS5 games on PC is a sign.

I'm hoping that Sony's newfound strategy of releasing PS5 games on PC is a sign.
Yeah, sorry, I HIGHLY doubt that it will have native compatibility with pc....I mean, don't get me wrong, it would be nice as Im sure my 3080ti would make good use with the tech lol, but it's highly doubtful....you have to remember, that Sony take a loss on all their hardware as it's the games that they make the money off....if people are just going to play them on pc, and but then from steam, then they ain't getting anywhere NEAR the profit needed to make it viable as it would be from selling them on ps5....it's just not economically sound.....

Its possible someone will be able to make a workaround, but I guarantee you won't get the eye tracking, foveated rendering, haptics, adaptable triggers or anything else running on it...it'll probably just be the standard visuals....

The best way to use it would be the ps5

Awww, that was lucky then...I'm glad you got one though pal....its funny, when I was in the queue, it said "no need to worry, there's plenty enough for everyone".....even though in the small print for the original invite, it said that it wasn't guaranteed to activate get one as it was "while stocks last"....like, you'd think they'd only send out the same amount of invites as they have headsets.....I dunno man... conflicting info though 😂.....but yeah. I can't wait man.....I'm a bit worried though, I'm waiting for Sony to get back to me via email as I was hoping they'd take payment there and then, like when you pre-order a game....but no...they won't take it until, UP TO 5 days before release...and even then you don't actually know when....I'd prefer to just pay for it and be done... because as far as I'm concerned, it's not mine until it's payed for....I've emailed them to see if there's a way I can pay for it now instead of waiting.... especially with how the economy is ATM....it's a pain ...I don't see why they force you to pay instantly for pre-ordered games, but not headset ....

Still....I can't wait man...I'm buzzing for the release..
Yeah I don’t think they’re legally allowed to charge you for it before it ships. Maybe it’s a CC thing. I’m going to have to update mine next year as my CC expires before they ship.

Yeah, sorry, I HIGHLY doubt that it will have native compatibility with pc....I mean, don't get me wrong, it would be nice as Im sure my 3080ti would make good use with the tech lol, but it's highly doubtful....you have to remember, that Sony take a loss on all their hardware as it's the games that they make the money off....if people are just going to play them on pc, and but then from steam, then they ain't getting anywhere NEAR the profit needed to make it viable as it would be from selling them on ps5....it's just not economically sound.....

Its possible someone will be able to make a workaround, but I guarantee you won't get the eye tracking, foveated rendering, haptics, adaptable triggers or anything else running on it...it'll probably just be the standard visuals....

It’s something that I’m sure Sony has weighed out. You can make a PS5 headset and get 100% of that market share. Or you can make a headset that’s PC compatible and maybe hemorrhage a couple points of overall PlayStation customers who miiiiiiiiiight go to PC; but meanwhile you’ll gain some ground in a market you never had a foothold in to begin with - with that being PC VR headsets.

I’ll be curious to see what they do

The reason I think it might happen is because the games getting released on PC may have VR functionality. Will they release a gimped version of the game for PC? Maybe. Will they ask the developers to support X amount of PC compatible headsets? Likely not... Or will they just make their headset PC compatible, thus ensuring their games are represented fully and in the best light possible? I think so.

I think the console market is shifting a bit. I don't necessarily disagree with you either, just saying it might happen.

Yeah I don’t think they’re legally allowed to charge you for it before it ships. Maybe it’s a CC thing. I’m going to have to update mine next year as my CC expires before they ship.
You sure about that? Because they charge you instantly for pre-ordered games? Which is why I expected it to charge instantly.....it's annoying as I'd rather it's just paid off....

The email they sent me back was just "refer to our FAQs for information"......like seriously???? That was the FIRST thing I done lol....i went through all their websites, I scoured the internet for a phone number, the only number being a US one that I can't ring from the UK....their virtual agent, well, I spent all day waiting for them to connect, hours at a time until it would just time out due to taking to long...and I attempted it multiple times too....it takes the piss...so I exhausted all options, and email was last...and they STILL tried fobbing me off lol....typical....like, I've just pre-ordered a £530 piece of hardware, you'd think they'd want to help to make sure that they get their sale.....

You sure about that? Because they charge you instantly for pre-ordered games? Which is why I expected it to charge instantly.....it's annoying as I'd rather it's just paid off....

The email they sent me back was just "refer to our FAQs for information"......like seriously???? That was the FIRST thing I done lol....i went through all their websites, I scoured the internet for a phone number, the only number being a US one that I can't ring from the UK....their virtual agent, well, I spent all day waiting for them to connect, hours at a time until it would just time out due to taking to long...and I attempted it multiple times too....it takes the piss...so I exhausted all options, and email was last...and they STILL tried fobbing me off lol....typical....like, I've just pre-ordered a £530 piece of hardware, you'd think they'd want to help to make sure that they get their sale.....
Definitely not a 100%. Maybe its a digital vs physical goods thing. May also be a CC thing. Ive heard paying with paypal etc charges right away. I know when I normally pre-order im not charged until item has shipped, at least when it comes to larger corporations like Sony, amazon, Target, etc.

So you never got an order confirmation email?

Last edited:
Definitely not a 100%. Maybe its a digital vs physical goods thing. May also be a CC thing. Ive heard paying with paypal etc charges right away. I know when I normally pre-order im not charged until item has shipped, at least when it comes to larger corporations like Sony, amazon, Target, etc.

So you never got an order confirmation email?
Hmmm...dunno man... everytime I've ever pre-ordered a game, its always taken money straight away....it actually states in the description "FUNDS MUST BE AVAILABLE FOR IMMEDIATE PAYMENT" at the top of any game for pre-order....in big capitals too lol....

And yeah man. I got the confirmation email, it's defo pre-ordered, I got the order number and everything....but it says I won't get the invoice email untill it takes payment....

It wasn't until AFTER I placed the order, that the confirmation email said in smallprint out of all things, that they didn't take payment until UP TO 5 days before release...it's annoying as you don't ACTUALLY know what day it'll go out on....I have the funds in a savings account, and I don't like having large amounts in my normal account for too long of a time...5 days is a long time for me man....stressful....

Either way. I'm glad I got my pre-order....Im Hoping I can finally get hold of Sony and that they'll take payment...if not, Ill just have to save it...thing is, I GUARANTEE you that there will be people that have already ordered, that when it comes to it, won't actually pay because they are not able to due to no longer having the funds.....and I don't want to be one of those 😢

Hmmm...dunno man... everytime I've ever pre-ordered a game, its always taken money straight away....it actually states in the description "FUNDS MUST BE AVAILABLE FOR IMMEDIATE PAYMENT" at the top of any game for pre-order....in big capitals too lol....

And yeah man. I got the confirmation email, it's defo pre-ordered, I got the order number and everything....but it says I won't get the invoice email untill it takes payment....

It wasn't until AFTER I placed the order, that the confirmation email said in smallprint out of all things, that they didn't take payment until UP TO 5 days before release...it's annoying as you don't ACTUALLY know what day it'll go out on....I have the funds in a savings account, and I don't like having large amounts in my normal account for too long of a time...5 days is a long time for me man....stressful....

Either way. I'm glad I got my pre-order....Im Hoping I can finally get hold of Sony and that they'll take payment...if not, Ill just have to save it...thing is, I GUARANTEE you that there will be people that have already ordered, that when it comes to it, won't actually pay because they are not able to due to no longer having the funds.....and I don't want to be one of those 😢
I hear you. It’s not and insignificant amount either. Well hopefully you can keep the funds safe and secure for a few more months.

I hear you. It’s not and insignificant amount either. Well hopefully you can keep the funds safe and secure for a few more months.
Yeah. It is quite alot man...crazy how it's £200 more than the digital console, which is the one I got...but, I can't wait to get that juicy tech into my clutches lol 😂😂
And thanks man, yeah me too...I was able to do so when I pre-ordered the ps5, so, I should be able to now...it's just annoying man...

Yeah. It is quite alot man...crazy how it's £200 more than the digital console, which is the one I got...but, I can't wait to get that juicy tech into my clutches lol 😂😂
And thanks man, yeah me too...I was able to do so when I pre-ordered the ps5, so, I should be able to now...it's just annoying man...
Yeah I was surprised at the price as well. I’ve only ever owned and tried budget VR headsets, psvr and original Rift. Looking forward to trying this out. My kids will be excited too.

Yeah I was surprised at the price as well. I’ve only ever owned and tried budget VR headsets, psvr and original Rift. Looking forward to trying this out. My kids will be excited too.
Yeah. Only VR headsets I've tried previously, was the original psvr, but the V2 one, with the slightly higher resolution and refresh rate maybe? I can't remember....but it was better the the OG one....oh, and I've also currently got the oculus rift S for my pc too....and even though I can play high end VR games on pc with that and my 3080ti, I can GUARANTEE that the PSVR2 is going to look miles better with its double 4k screens ...well...it is basically 4k, if you add all the pixels lol...just not the right way round hahaha....anyhow...yeah. I can't wait man....my lil sister is already trying to plan to come up and play on it....****...so is my mum for that matter 😂😂.

And yeah, it'll be brill for the kids, there's a couple games coming out at release for kids I think, but I have to Admit, so far. It's mainly being aimed at a....older audience?...I know they have a recommended age and up..

Almost every day im searching everywhere for something new about gt7 and psvr2..
But i know that we will never take a full psvr2 mode in gt7 and all of this because gt7 is running in ps4 too.

This is the 5th copy and paste message I've had from Sony now, trying to send me to a link that has absolutely NOTHING to do with the issue I'm trying to deal with!! 😂😂😂😂 I swear, it must be a bit answering as if it were human they would of said something different by now lol.... litreally it's been copy and paste every time....I must admit...I got pretty **** this time though, as they taking the Mick...5 copy and paste messages in like 2 and a half days... ridiculous.....

You'd think they'd be more inclined to answer considering the amount of money that's at stake for them lol 😂😂
Almost every day im searching everywhere for something new about gt7 and psvr2..
But i know that we will never take a full psvr2 mode in gt7 and all of this because gt7 is running in ps4 too.
Well that's bull.... resident evil village is on both consoles, yet is going to be psvr2 only..,.so that doesn't mean squat

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-11-17-11-42-04-30_e307a3f9df9f380ebaf106e1dc980bb6.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-11-17-11-42-04-30_e307a3f9df9f380ebaf106e1dc980bb6.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 13
This is the 5th copy and paste message I've had from Sony now, trying to send me to a link that has absolutely NOTHING to do with the issue I'm trying to deal with!! 😂😂😂😂 I swear, it must be a bit answering as if it were human they would of said something different by now lol.... litreally it's been copy and paste every time....I must admit...I got pretty **** this time though, as they taking the Mick...5 copy and paste messages in like 2 and a half days... ridiculous.....

You'd think they'd be more inclined to answer considering the amount of money that's at stake for them lol 😂😂

Well that's bull.... resident evil village is on both consoles, yet is going to be psvr2 only..,.so that doesn't mean squat
But yeah, I've been doing the same lol 😂😂😂 checking every day 😂😂😂

Completely irrelevant as long as the game has a native PS5 version (which GT7 does)

let's hope that we will see any news soon. :bowdown:
My bet is, that they want to keep the reveal as big surprise for a proper PSVR2 Showcase Event.
I agree, especially as it would be one of the biggest full fledged games in PSVR2...I'd keep it close to my chest until at least the month before.... January reveal maybe? If not, it might come a lil after release....but I think that it would come on release tbh....I've already got my PSVR2 preordered, I can't wait!!!

I'm also looking forward to firewall: ultra, crossfire, switchback VR, and horizon

Yes Gran Turismo 7 alone will hype many non VR users aswell!
I have purchased a PS5 Disc Copy of GT7 for 30€ at black friday as a preperation for the psvr2 update and have preordered my psvr2 aswell. I'm super excited!

Back