GT7 vs GT4. An unlikely, but necessary comparison.

United States
Elizabeth, New Jersey, USA
I spent about a week or so playing Gran Turismo 7, and was able to complete basically all of the career mode and license tests. After that, I played GT4, which is my favorite GT title, for a few days, out of feelings of nostalgia. So, a week and a half of filled with GT, after a long absence from playing- mostly due to college busy-ness- has really got me thinking about the general state of the series.

Here's my hot take: Gran Turismo 4 is an objectively a better game than Gran Turismo 7.

It is no secret that Gran Turismo 4 is seen as the pinnacle of the Gran Turismo series; in GTPlanet's own poll, a plurality of members voted it as the best GT game, and the game received quite remarkable reviews. Since GT4, most fans agree that the GT series went downhill: GT5 and GT6 were too unpolished and inconsistent, while Sport was rather low on content. With GT7, PD claimed they were "returning to their roots" with the series and implied that the new Gran Turismo, while being of course a modern game, would feature an experience similar to what made the games of the past so great. So, why should GT7 be compared to GT4? In short, GT4 was the last truly "good" GT game, and players have been longing for a true GT experience again, where new meets old. Surely the Gran Turismo of now should be much better than the GT of nearly 17 years ago?

Unfortunately, this is not the case. For starters, the racing in GT4 is simply more fun than it is in GT7, I would argue that the "fun factor" is the most important component of a "good" game. While GT4 is clearly no match for GT7 in terms of physics, handling precision, and general realism of the cars and tracks, racing in GT4's is just more thrilling. Despite GT7 being an online-focused game, campaign mode is more central to the overall experience of the game than many of us realize. For many players, campaign is the bulk of the racing experience as a whole, and it is relied upon to earn credits. GT7's career mode, to put it bluntly, is insultingly short. Once the menu books are (quickly) finished, that's it. Meanwhile, GT4's career mode is almost overwhelmingly long, as it's designed to take a while to compete, rather than being a short, temporary hurdle. GT4's events are much more varied as well, while GT7's do not take full advantage of it's car list. Furthermore, GT4 has more (and harder) license tests, as well as special conditions events, one-make races, endurance events, and other events separated by country aside from the mainline campaign mode, all of which GT7 lacks.

Though more importantly is the gap in AI. It's appalling that the Gran Turismo of almost seventeen years ago has more competitive and responsive AI than GT7. In GT4, most of the fun of campaign mode was due to the AI putting up a constant fight- although only six cars were on the track, a car about as fast as the competition was not at all guaranteed to win. The AI was certainly rubberband-y, yes, but that was a key aspect of its "fun factor". Mind you, this is all with a standing start, where the cars are quite close together. In GT7, the AI is so lacklustre that even in a race with a rolling start, where the lead car starts out nearly 30 seconds ahead of you (basically every GT7 campaign mode race), you can still get first place with a car slower than the competition. The dreadful GT7 AI makes every campaign race feel like a chore, a mere obstacle in pursuit of completing the game. Ultimately, campaign mode was the key source of enjoyment in GT4, while in GT7, it is anything but.

Next up is content. GT4 has 314 more cars and over 10 more track locations than GT7. As I've stated before, part of what makes Gran Turismo "Gran Turismo", differentiating it from other games, is the sheer amount of cars available in the game. With the exception of GT3, every mainline GT game has featured significantly more cars to choose from than rival games. GT7's car list is disappointingly short, especially considering that over 1/4 of the cars are fictional (either VGTs or GR cars), and there are certain cars very similar to one another (two E30 M3s, S13 Silvias, Renault Clios, AE86s, etc). Obviously, GT4 also had some fictional cars and many near-duplicates, but it is undeniable that the game featured a larger variety of cars, as wagons, entry-level cars, certain classics, non-VGT concepts, and other "oddball cars" are present in GT4 but absent from GT7. Moreover, it is a common criticism that GT7 lacks cars which are quite new- most "new cars" are 2012-2016 models with not much newer. Though in GT4, there were over 100 cars made between 2001-2005 for example. Also, over half of the cars in GT4 were all new to the series, while in GT7, roughly 90% of the cars were featured in a previous GT Game. Ultimately, I ask this. Why doesn't GT7 have more cars and tracks? Is there any acceptable reason that the quantity of both isn't any higher?

A more minor, but still important difference between the two games is the level of "freedom" you are given once starting out. In GT4, you are given a meager 10,000 credits, and that's it. What car you want to buy, what events you would like to do (and what order you do them in), and when you want to complete the licenses are completely up to you. Though in GT7, from the very beginning until completion of campaign mode, the entire game experience is essentially a tutorial. You are given all the cars you need for your races and you are told which races to do, in the form of "cafe menus". Almost all individuality in terms of what cars you have and how you complete the campaign is taken away. I know it may seem intimidating to not be given a path to success once starting a game, but that is part of the beauty of it: you choose your own destiny. GT7's tutorial-like campaign mode sequence is honestly quite patronizing, when you think about it. PD assumes that we are not capable enough of progressing through the game at our own liking, so they make virtually every decision for us. A more subtle way in which players' freedoms are encroached upon in GT7 are the implied micro-transactions: given the pre-determined roulette results, poor-paying campaign mode, "invitation-only cars", and inability to sell cars, it is clear that PD wants us to spend real money to quench these thirsts. This is in stark contrast to GT4, for the obvious reasons that there were no micro-transactions. It is a sad state of affairs that more and more games, including GT now, are pushing micro-transactions and a "pay-to-play" model as a legitimate way to progress through the game. Could this alone signal a downfall in the gaming industry as a whole?

I will conclude my comparison on this note. In life, we are often reinforced with the belief of "quality of quantity". This sentiment was most certainly echoed by GT fans, many of whom lambasted GT5 and GT6 for choosing "quantity over quality" instead, since although these games had record-setting amounts of cars, many of the cars were duplicates and vastly differed in quality. GT7 did seem to finally answer the fans' thirst for "quality over quantity", in which all of the cars and tracks are of the same quality and realistic looking as possible. Compared to GT4, GT7 most certainly holds truer to the "quality over quantity" sentiment, given that the physics, attention to detail, graphics, and overall realism are in a whole 'nother league compared to GT4. Though, GT4 does offer more cars, more tracks, more events, more freedom, and frankly, more fun. So is Gran Turismo a rare exception to the "quality over quantity" rule? Honestly, I say yes.

Ultimately, GT4- despite being less polished, less realistic, less modern, and less technically advanced than GT7- is the better game, at least in my eyes. Just typing this phrase alone, as a lifelong GT player makes me dismal. Am I exaggerating how good GT4 is while underestimating GT7's potential? Are my criticisms of GT7 unfair and hypocritical? Am I not taking into account the sheer process it is to design cars and tracks so realistic looking, a possible reason as to why there are less of them? I would like to think not, but perhaps I am biased by nostalgia more than I can currently realize. Though, I will make clear, despite my vehement criticisms of GT7, I am not a pessimist. I think there is still quite a chance that the GT series can improve and produce their best-ever game, and I will concede that the opinions of die-hard GT fans are seen as important and necessary to PD. I'd like to be optimistic about the future of the series, as PD has proven they can churn out some genuinely great games, like GT4. In future GTs, whether it is "GT8" or some kind of spin-off, PD ought not make the game in the exact formula of GT4, but they should take into account what made GT4 so great- its general fun factor.

Well, that's all. What are the community's thoughts?

Last edited:
Gran Turismo 4 is one of my favourite video games ever due to the massive impact it made on my life. The cars, the tracks, the event variety and career mode structure was highly addictive and I've revisited it several times over the years. BUT it isn't perfect. The licence tests where far too tedious, the AI was either too fast or too slow, the customisation wasn't that extensive, some of the sounds were utter crap and it didn't have dynamic weather or TOD. GT7 addresses most of these concerns with the best graphics and physics we've ever had. GT4 is the sentimental favourite but GT7 is the objective favourite because it's the better game in soo many ways.

100% agree.

This is my first post on this forum in 9 years. Decided to buy 7 after the buggy mess that was GT5 ruined the franchise for me. I owned every version since PS1 days up to GT5.

I am loving the controller, physics, graphics in photo mode. But that’s pretty much it. I get to play maybe one hour every weekend, if I’m lucky. It’s going to take me months to unlock tracks, let alone grind for my favourite cars. Kaz created a core game/ideology and just keeps polishing in it and making it shinier every release.

The industry has moved on. I can jump into any car and race on any track on day one in Assetto Corsa (Or Project Cars before it went down the toilet). Its menus are as convoluted as GT, sure. Controller settings are rubbish too. But camera modes, rain graphics, race and HUD customisation, etc. are all years ahead of GT.

I’m out. I am literally too old for this ****. Don’t have the patience nor the time. See you all in 9 years I guess.

Last edited:
I don't think anything can compare to GT4, there is a reason it still retains so much respect, it is a true legend
I got a PS3 for GT5 and GT6, and was more than a bit disappointed in GT5, however GT6 was fun, good new content was added, the online custom lobbies were fun, the graphics were improved over the PS2, never tried GTsport, went the PC route, full sim, AC rF2, 3RE, tried to find a decent arcade racer to scratch my Gran Turismo itch, forza motorsport and grid left me cold, Forza Horizon was and is fun, but nothing on PC offered a true GT experience, so when GT7 was released I got a PS4 pro and a PS4 compatible wheel
I don't expect GT7 to replace GT4 as the best racing game ever, but if it can beat GT5 at launch, and if new content can allow it to match GT6 with future updates, I will be happy

Here's my hot take: Gran Turismo 4 is an objectively a better game than Gran Turismo 7.
Not a hot take.
Unfortunately, this is not the case. For starters, the racing in GT4 is simply more fun than it is in GT7, I would argue that the "fun factor" is the most important component of a "good" game. While GT4 is clearly no match for GT7 in terms of physics, handling precision, and general realism of the cars and tracks, racing in GT4's is just more thrilling. Despite GT7 being an online-focused game, campaign mode is more central to the overall experience of the game than many of us realize. For many players, campaign is the bulk of the racing experience as a whole, and it is relied upon to earn credits. GT7's career mode, to put it bluntly, is insultingly short. Once the menu books are (quickly) finished, that's it. Meanwhile, GT4's career mode is almost overwhelmingly long, as it's designed to take a while to compete, rather than being a short, temporary hurdle. GT4's events are much more varied as well, while GT7's do not take full advantage of it's car list. Furthermore, GT4 has more (and harder) license tests, as well as special conditions events, one-make races, endurance events, and other events separated by country aside from the mainline campaign mode, all of which GT7 lacks.
More License isn't something that's seen as a good thing in GT4. It's too many Licenses instead of 16 per grade. GT7 had more missions than GT4 at 48 currently (though the cone challenge is located there instead of License). Regarding current events, dunno what's happening into these for now:

Or @Tidgney hearing about a source that claims there's actually 50 Cafe menu books that covered race cars, and I'd talk (questioning) more when those are in the game later (including on how GT7 had the most mission races, indicating that probably the game only gave you a tier of its total events for some reason with the rest being still hidden).
Though more importantly is the gap in AI. It's appalling that the Gran Turismo of almost seventeen years ago has more competitive and responsive AI than GT7. In GT4, most of the fun of campaign mode was due to the AI putting up a constant fight- although only six cars were on the track, a car about as fast as the competition was not at all guaranteed to win. The AI was certainly rubberband-y, yes, but that was a key aspect of its "fun factor". Mind you, this is all with a standing start, where the cars are quite close together. In GT7, the AI is so lacklustre that even in a race with a rolling start, where the lead car starts out nearly 30 seconds ahead of you (basically every GT7 campaign mode race), you can still get first place with a car slower than the competition. The dreadful GT7 AI makes every campaign race feel like a chore, a mere obstacle in pursuit of completing the game. Ultimately, campaign mode was the key source of enjoyment in GT4, while in GT7, it is anything but.
GT never had a good AI and that applies too on those older games. Though obviously chase the rabbit is a terrible next way as implemented in GT5, they had rubberbanding in games like GT4, not about them being actually good, of which they removed the rubberbanding on GT5. Rubberbanding is not a good game design (though neither does chase the rabbit). But for now PD is actually working on Sophy, a superhuman AI that can take on GTS' best players. They did say that it won't be available at launch but as future update in GT7 and it's unknown how and when the AI is going to be implemented (other than planning to use B-Spec at GT7 with Sophy), but they're working on it with clear results and they just haven't got it done yet for now.... though it did make me think if delaying GT7 would be better.

Next up is content. GT4 has 314 more cars and over 10 more track locations than GT7. As I've stated before, part of what makes Gran Turismo "Gran Turismo", differentiating it from other games, is the sheer amount of cars available in the game. With the exception of GT3, every mainline GT game has featured significantly more cars to choose from than rival games. GT7's car list is disappointingly short, especially considering that over 1/4 of the cars are fictional (either VGTs or GR cars), and there are certain cars very similar to one another (two E30 M3s, S13 Silvias, Renault Clios, AE86s, etc). Obviously, GT4 also had some fictional cars and many near-duplicates, but it is undeniable that the game featured a larger variety of cars, as wagons, entry-level cars, certain classics, non-VGT concepts, and other "oddball cars" are present in GT4 but absent from GT7. Moreover, it is a common criticism that GT7 lacks cars which are quite new- most "new cars" are 2012-2016 models with not much newer. Though in GT4, there were over 100 cars made between 2001-2005 for example. Also, over half of the cars in GT4 were all new to the series, while in GT7, roughly 90% of the cars were featured in a previous GT Game. Ultimately, I ask this. Why doesn't GT7 have more cars and tracks? Is there any acceptable reason that the quantity of both isn't any higher?
The complain about the cars that are similar to one another here is just pure double standard. Did GT4 also contain both Trueno and Levin? Both S13 Silvias and more (they're not duplicates, stop simplifying cars that aren't actually are)? Otherwise, I don't know about the car modeling rate for now, actually PD had increased their employee numbers as well as outsourcing now. Obviously I'd hope the car number gets increased to that number and GT4's variant, but for now, the alternative would be what you see in GT5 and GT6 to keep all those variations from GT4? The Standard and Premium cars.

Though for overall game, GT3 can beat GT4 at times (I'm one of those that prefer GT4 way more btw) and it had 181 cars.... and it's a lie that GT3 is said to have over 200 cars but it's not.
A more minor, but still important difference between the two games is the level of "freedom" you are given once starting out. In GT4, you are given a meager 10,000 credits, and that's it. What car you want to buy, what events you would like to do (and what order you do them in), and when you want to complete the licenses are completely up to you. Though in GT7, from the very beginning until completion of campaign mode, the entire game experience is essentially a tutorial. You are given all the cars you need for your races and you are told which races to do, in the form of "cafe menus". Almost all individuality in terms of what cars you have and how you complete the campaign is taken away. I know it may seem intimidating to not be given a path to success once starting a game, but that is part of the beauty of it: you choose your own destiny. GT7's tutorial-like campaign mode sequence is honestly quite patronizing, when you think about it. PD assumes that we are not capable enough of progressing through the game at our own liking, so they make virtually every decision for us. A more subtle way in which players' freedoms are encroached upon in GT7 are the implied micro-transactions: given the pre-determined roulette results, poor-paying campaign mode, "invitation-only cars", and inability to sell cars, it is clear that PD wants us to spend real money to quench these thirsts. This is in stark contrast to GT4, for the obvious reasons that there were no micro-transactions. It is a sad state of affairs that more and more games, including GT now, are pushing micro-transactions and a "pay-to-play" model as a legitimate way to progress through the game. Could this alone signal a downfall in the gaming industry as a whole?
I do think that GT's trait is sandbox (I'm against the suggestions that have you choose only 1 event path and stay on that for example, of which can exist in motorsport game/careers) and that Cafe did take some of that away, otherwise the Cafe is a good addition for progression feel as well as even more information, but I do think that it should be something that isn't linear but have it act like actual menu like, you can choose or cancel any of the menus there, like y'know how Cafes actually work. Suggesting that as a room of improvement for next ones to keep Cafe and both keep the sandbox feel. For patronizing, Licenses also can be seen as that for some that GT always assumes everyone are beginners in the game.

For the downfall in gaming industry complaint honestly I think that's partly a nostalgia bias. The invitation part is imitating a real life aspect where invitation-only buy like that do exist. The current system of invitation may be annoying (and there are also other aspects the game further simulates irl aspect, like the inflation), but to assume everything being related to microtransactions is ignorant. The roulette is infuriating to mostly give the mediocre prizes, and that items that can only be obtained over RNG is a bad design (albeit those items aren't related to credits/microtransactions like Engine Swaps), but players getting the best prizes over roulettes had happened. For the races here you can still get almost 100k in less than 5 min. The inability to sell cars (but discard, of which GT4 had that over concept cars) is the one that had no excuse admittedly.

Last edited:
In GT4, you are given a meager 10,000 credits, and that's it. What car you want to buy, what events you would like to do (and what order you do them in), and when you want to complete the licenses are completely up to you.
That's how I like my GTs, no corridor and talking heads ! And please stop throwing me cars at every turn of the road.

And that is the main grief I have with GT7.

Lack of cars ? I don't really care, many of the cars I like are here and I am more the type of player who find some cars he enjoys and drive them most of the time (which reinforces the bonding).

Fewer tracks ? Not an issue to me either. There are still enough tracks I don't like. And lot of work to do to master the tracks I like (as the Nordschleife)

MTX and credits... I see what you did there PD, but as I don't intend to "catch them all" that's not a too big issue.

GT4 was my favorite, but we’ll see how GT7 evolves… I’m loving it as-is, and expect it’ll only get better with updates. Is it perfect? No, but then neither was GT4.

I 100% agree on this first post of this thread.
Of course it's possible to nitpick and compare in details, but the general sensation is here, IMO.
I would even say that GT7 is a bad and boring offline game (EDIT : at the moment).

The 3 things that really made me angry in GT7 was the horendous inintuitive and unergonomic interface, the carreer completed in less than 1 week, and the lack of what I personnaly think is the essence of GT >> the unexpected obscure cars in quantity

I feel exactly the same about the Forza series and Forza 4 vs what came after.

Last edited:
GT4 was so expanded for those times that GT7 seems like a poor evolution (in graphic sound and physhics only).
Every car in game had at least some events to fit...
Presentation and deep of gameplay was and is the benchmark of the series. (compairing and hardware of the era... PS2)
GT4 is my favorite GT!!

Ultimately, I ask this. Why doesn't GT7 have more cars and tracks? Is there any acceptable reason that the quantity of both isn't any higher?
I think you're ignoring the sheer level of detail of each vehicle including highly detailed interiors in all of them. GT4 didn't even really have a cockpit view if I'm not mistaken and in GT5 there was but only Premium cars had detailed interiors. While some cars are simply version of others that are included, that's still a lot of work to model these cars and interiors.
A more subtle way in which players' freedoms are encroached upon in GT7 are the implied micro-transactions: given the pre-determined roulette results, poor-paying campaign mode, "invitation-only cars", and inability to sell cars, it is clear that PD wants us to spend real money to quench these thirsts. This is in stark contrast to GT4, for the obvious reasons that there were no micro-transactions. It is a sad state of affairs that more and more games, including GT now, are pushing micro-transactions and a "pay-to-play" model as a legitimate way to progress through the game. Could this alone signal a downfall in the gaming industry as a whole?
"Pay to Play" (P2P) games is a definition usually used to describe games that require (typically) a monthly subscription. Famous examples are World of Warcraft and Eve Online which can cost around $15 to $20 per month IIRC just to play. You can't even call GT7 a P2W game (pay to win) given that all items can still be obtained by earning credits through activities, prizes and so on.

As for the roulette, I haven't seen any evidence that the results are predetermined beyond the "spin". For all we know each roulette the player receives is still based on chance prior to the staged spin.

If you're talking about "always-online" and requiring a Sony PS+ subscription, you're right, many games are going this route. ...but I really don't see that as a big issue or the "downfall" of gaming in general. Quite honestly, it's a non-issue in my case given that I engage in many games (on and offline) on my PS5 and my son with his PS4. I'd even wager it's a moot point for many considering about half on PSN are PS+ subscribers not factoring in those who share accounts in the same household, etc. (like my family does).

Though, GT4 does offer more cars, more tracks, more events, more freedom, and frankly, more fun. So is Gran Turismo a rare exception to the "quality over quantity" rule? Honestly, I say yes.
If you're saying quantity over quality is better for the series, I couldn't disagree more. I would much rather have fewer cars and tracks and that much more detailed than more that aren't. ....more cars but with most lacking detail, cockpits, etc.

Having said all that, I think there is a lot they could do to improve in GT7 and the series in general. I long for an engaging campaign mode that provides a sense of struggle and progression. Buying new cars as you can afford them, new modifications, etc. Earing your way into different racing series and so on.

I also think (personally) VGT cars are a waste of resources that I would rather see spent on introducing other cars fans have been asking for. ....new tracks (not just iterations), etc.

While I'm not opposed to MTXs as some are, I will say that the economy in GT7 needs a serious overhaul. Payouts need to be more linear and make sense. AI difficulty should factor into it and while other factors can have an impact like PP, etc., the amount awarded should be based on mileage and/or time in each race. This includes Custom races.

I agree with some of what you said and I even think PD needs to revisit what was good about past titles (like GT4) and incorporate those things (along with fan feedback for new features) into future iterations of the series.

GT4 Ai is the worst in the series, and the physics are the worst in the series as well. GT3 is a superior game even with its lackluster content. Graphics aside, GranTurismo 2 is better than GranTurismo 3 and 4 aswell..

GT4 was so expanded for those times that GT7 seems like a poor evolution (in graphic sound and physhics only).
Every car in game had at least some events to fit...
Presentation and deep of gameplay was and is the benchmark of the series. (compairing and hardware of the era... PS2)
GT4 is my favorite GT!!
I remember almost every dealership has one make races. Blew my mind back then.

I remember almost every dealership has one make races. Blew my mind back then.
How is this even "content" when it should be a choice in arcade mode? I feel as if people are easily conned into believing they get more "content" when it's served for them in a designated area.

How is this even "content" when it should be a choice in arcade mode? I feel as if people are easily conned into believing they get more "content" when it's served for them in a designated area.
I don't know, I just thought it was cool back then.

But hey maybe you're right, maybe I am easily conned.

Last edited:
Because it formed part of the single player career mode. Remember, GT4 had a much bigger and better career than GT7 does currently.

Well yes, that's how curated content works. It doesn't matter where it is, if the devs have created it and all you have to do is select it, it's content. You can certainly argue whether it's good quality content, but it's still content.

GT7 has neither. You have to make one yourself within custom race. Setting up all the race parameters yourself every single time. Not content.

The complain about the cars that are similar to one another here is just pure double standard. Did GT4 also contain both Trueno and Levin? Both S13 Silvias and more (they're not duplicates, stop simplifying cars that aren't actually are)? Otherwise, I don't know about the car modeling rate for now, actually PD had increased their employee numbers as well as outsourcing now. Obviously I'd hope the car number gets increased to that number and GT4's variant, but for now, the alternative would be what you see in GT5 and GT6 to keep all those variations from GT4? The Standard and Premium cars.

Though for overall game, GT3 can beat GT4 at times (I'm one of those that prefer GT4 way more btw) and it had 181 cars.... and it's a lie that GT3 is said to have over 200 cars but it's not.
I would argue that the problem isn't so much the car count itself, as much as the variety within it. Even with the amount of duplicates, GT4 has a big variety in classes and groups of cars. Few games include WRC cars from the 70's up until the early 2000's alongside DTM's, old and new (back then at least) GT1's, GT2's and other types of touring cars, cup cars and others. Overall the duplicates in GT4 are less noticeable due to this variety. I assume in GT7 since both variety and car count are lower the duplicates are that much easier to stumble upon during gameplay.

GT4 Ai is the worst in the series, and the physics are the worst in the series as well. GT3 is a superior game even with its lackluster content. Graphics aside, GranTurismo 2 is better than GranTurismo 3 and 4 aswell..
Yes the Gran Turismo 4 AI wasn’t exactly the best but I personally don’t see how GT2 was better than 3 or 4 tbh - in my opinion at least.

GT2 was a great game but because you know it was rushed, it kinda translated during gameplay but it’s still a very great GT title. The whole debate of GT3 vs GT4 will never be decided at least for a long time - although I still believe GT4 was the better game because it felt more polished but these are merely opinions.

GT7 should have looked to GT3 & GT4 for a career mode structure or at least an inspiration tbh…

If we are to put side by side, GT4 and GT7. GT4 running in the emulator with a few enhancments, or GT4 running on a CRT Tv with quality component cables, and keeping in mind the limitations of each console for its time, there would not be a lot of areas where GT4 could be beaten by GT7, apart from the online mode of course.

I believe that what killed any chance of GT7 being an absolute gem, was the stupid way that drives the industry nowadays. Some investors put money in a project (in this case a game) and demand incredible short time frame for it to be made, tested and polished. We can look at Cyberpunk 2077 as the most brutal example of this. The game was released in a state where it needed at least one year of polishing, and testing before comercial release, instead it was published as the mess we got, and CD Projekt Red almost went bankrupt.

GT4 is the sentimental favourite but GT7 is the objective favourite because it's the better game in soo many ways.

We have to compare how good both games were when they were released and the impact they made at their prime time.

GT4 in 2004/2005 was pretty much the go to Console SimCade racer and was a top-tier rated game. And this gets even more impactful by how good those years were in overall gaming. 2004-2005 are arguably the best years in gaming history.
Gran Turismo 4, GTA: San Andreas, Metal Gear Solid 3, God of War, Halo 2, NFS: Underground 2 and NFS: Most Wanted, Shadow of the Colossus, Half-Life 2... Those years were packed, and GT4 was one of the best rated games, and a hit so huge it even made Konami's Enthusia fail, when in actual fact, Enthusia itself was a great game.

GT7 in 2022 is mediocre at best... An objective 6 out of 10 game. With its best characteristics being getting review bombed by its own fandom on how bad it is. And people waiting in anticipation for other games (FM8, AC for example) to be better...

GT7 being better in so many ways, is the EXPECTED thing. Because it has the feedback from the other games to consider and hardware is getting better and better, as well as the amount of resources.

There's also the hardware limitations to factor. GT4 was pushing everything from the PS2, GT7 is being held back because it also has to cope with the PS4. Terribly bad choice other than just being business related.

Last edited:
I would say that GT7 gave me the desire to install the emulator and play those PS2 and Xbox glorious racing games. GT3, GT4, Enthusia, Toca 3, Forza 4, PGR series, Total Immersion Racing, Racing Evoluzione, SCAR, F355 Challenge, etc.
And with a 2015 gaming rig, GT4 looks almost like GTSport (except the excellent work on light by PD we have to admit), and is far funnier to play IMO.

EDIT : what I really enjoyed back in the day was the diversity. These days we are starving and being very demanding on new releases.

Last edited:
I believe that what killed any chance of GT7 being an absolute gem, was the stupid way that drives the industry nowadays. Some investors put money in a project (in this case a game) and demand incredible short time frame for it to be made, tested and polished. We can look at Cyberpunk 2077 as the most brutal example of this. The game was released in a state where it needed at least one year of polishing, and testing before comercial release, instead it was published as the mess we got, and CD Projekt Red almost went bankrupt.
Lul, wut? Cyberpunk 2077 was released 10 Dec 2020. It was announced in May 2012, and the previous major product from the studio was the Blood and Wine DLC for The Witcher 3 in May 2016. That's at least 4.5 years of the studio being all hands on the game, and 8.5 years of it being in some sort of development.

CP2077 is an example of a lot of things wrong with the industry and games development, but an "incredible short time frame for it to be made, tested and polished" is not one of them. And the same goes for GT7. If I had to pick one major flaw with CP2077 it would be "feature creep", and if I had to pick one for GT7 it would be "complacency".

Last edited:
Well yes, that's how curated content works. It doesn't matter where it is, if the devs have created it and all you have to do is select it, it's content. You can certainly argue whether it's good quality content, but it's still content.

GT7 has neither. You have to make one yourself within custom race. Setting up all the race parameters yourself every single time. Not content.
It is content, you have to select a car to enter those GT4 one-make races, then go to the dealership and select the make, In GT7, you select literally ANY car, and go to the arcade race and select " one-make" so this game literally has a one-make race for every single car in the game. If polyphony removed " one-make" from the custom race and added one make in brand central with a preselected track that doesn't automatically make you have more content, as an objective fact you have less content to enjoy. It would be equally as stupid to suggest counting each car color as a separate car while saying the livery editor with billions of color combinations is not " content". Videogames are literally unique in the fact players make their own content in a predefined space, as opposed to a film or movie which are intrinsically rigid.
Also, Mr troll, please buy the game as this: "Setting up all the race parameters yourself every single time." , is factually wrong, you can save race presets with AI /liveries, etc. But of course, you don't own the game.

Also, GT4 technically has more liveries than Gt7, it's almost as if a livery editor exists or something allowing us to make infinite liveries, not content though /s.

Last edited:
It is content, you have to select a car to enter those GT4 one-make races, then go to the dealership and select the make, In GT7, you select literally ANY car, and go to the arcade race and select " one-make" so this game literally has a one-make race for every single car in the game. If polyphony removed " one-make" from the custom race and added one make in brand central with a preselected track that doesn't automatically make you have more content, as an objective fact you have less content to enjoy. It would be equally as stupid to suggest counting each car color as a separate car while saying the livery editor with billions of color combinations is not " content". Videogames are literally unique in the fact players make their own content in a predefined space, as opposed to a film or movie which are intrinsically rigid.
Also, Mr troll, please buy the game as this: "Setting up all the race parameters yourself every single time." , is factually wrong, you can save race presets with AI /liveries, etc. But of course, you don't own the game.

Also, GT4 technically has more liveries than Gt7, it's almost as if a livery editor exists or something allowing us to make infinite liveries, not content though /s.
The custom race tool is a great addition in principal, though sadly it is poorly executed in too many ways (AI, difficulty and payouts all being very poor). However, not everyone wants a sandbox, curating the content into a game play design is content. I get your point, but you need to understand opposing views as well. Ultimately, why not have both. But as it stands, GT7's custom races aren't great, and the career is even worse. PD have done a hash job on both.

Personally I want something like a custom race tool to be the icing on the cake, not the cake itself, that should be the main career aspect of the game. Others would prefer everything to be unlocked at the start and for it to be one big sandbox. I am fine with that, that's just a case of personal prferences differing.

In a perfect GT I'd like them to implement custom races and championships you can create, share and add to your career mode with payouts and rewards comparable to the rest of the career. They should also give full control over the AI difficulty, race format (grid starts, chase the rabbit, rolling grid etc.) as the custom race tool currently does. Having custom races/championships made by players avaialbe for everyone to download where you can set the AI to be easy as the Sunday Cup races or as hard as some of the Clubman Cup + races would be immense. However, it would also destroy PD's plan of drip feeding content to us over time keeping whales engaged.

Last edited:
Back