• Thread starter Sage Ages
  • 48 comments

Which game do you prefer?

• Total voters

Sage Ages

(Banned)
Antarctica
Antarctica
Which game do you prefer and why? For the sake of easy comparison, this thread is for offline modes only.

As far as overall content, I prefer IV over V. It feels more realistic, it has many different activities that were removed in V, there was more variety in vehicle spawning, and of course my east coast bias. :sly:

Oh, I almost forgot this.

hey+cousin+you+wanna+go+bowling+-Roman+_01037d22dcfd74c90c0e0c1a991411bc.jpg

Last edited:
Tough call. I like both games, but can't find what I like more.

GTA V for car handling that isn't a hassle and more aircraft, but R* keeps restricting content from online.

GTA IV for Annihilators that were extremely fast and helicopters in general didn't have turbulence like in GTA V, but IV doesn't have a lot of stuff to begin with.

I preferred 5 mainly because of the "team work" aspect of it. I liked swapping characters and being a part of the whole story. Another high point was the ability to re-do missions, some missions were just too fun to do only once :).

4 was very good too, It's just his cousin that annoyed the hell outta me.

Online I can't really comment too much about, I haven't played 4 online and I dropped out of 5 very early in its life.

It's a tough choice, I really enjoy both games. As far as the storyline goes, I think both have their advantages and disadvantages but my preference can swing either way depending on what I'm after gameplay-wise. For sure, GTA V has a much better map in which you can have almost endless exploration but I prefer the atmosphere of Liberty City itself, which feels more realistic/believable to me. The main protagonists of each game are just as good as the other, but I reckon I enjoy the other characters of GTA IV more (aside from Roman constantly begging me to go bowling). GTA V does have much more fluid controls though, but at the time GTA IV was very impressive to me and I can still get an easy grip with them today. I did like GTA IV's driving physics and they certainly worked within that environment but I don't think they would be very fun in GTA V's very open world.

I'm way too indecisive so I wont make a vote because I might regret my choice. :lol:

GTA V for me. There is a lot more variety in the game world than in IV, and I find the cars handle *much* better. I found the need to micro-manage friendships frustrating in IV, to the point where I just ignored everyone. I like the protagonists in V more than Niko, and the way they are implemented allows each to have their own sub-plot, which allows the game to have a much more balanced narrative; I often found myself doing jobs for people in IV with no idea why I was doing them or how they figured into the story. V is much more tightly-plotted, with two main storylines and one sub-plot for each main character. It works in such a way that you can easily switch to another if you get bored, then pick the other story back up when you are ready. It goes a long way towards addressing some of the story problems that have come up in Rockstar games - and not just GTA IV; it's in RED DEAD as well - in the past.

If this thread was about which game had a better theme song, I would pick GTA IV because Soviet Connection blows V's Welcome to Los Santos out of the water. I love GTA IV's theme song so much, and I appreciate that it is used throughout the game: In the opening cutscene, as a remix in the game startup screens, at the end of missions, in the pause menu, as one of the horns on the ice cream truck, and other areas I might be forgetting.

If this thread was about which game had a better theme song, I would pick GTA IV because Soviet Connection blows V's Welcome to Los Santos out of the water. I love GTA IV's theme song so much, and I appreciate that it is used throughout the game: In the opening cutscene, as a remix in the game startup screens, at the end of missions, in the pause menu, as one of the horns on the ice cream truck, and other areas I might be forgetting.

Soviet Connection was so damn epic. I love the darker theme of GTA IV. I wish they just supported it more.

I always felt that V was incomplete. There's a bunch of features from 4 missing, no mission complete jingle, no phone calls, no hot dog stands. It feels very dead to me.

I really don't like having the timer and other objectives at the end of a mission. I don't care how long it takes me to complete a mission. Stop trying to make me go faster or do side objectives.

"This mission should have been completed in 10 minutes, 30 seconds. You completed it in 13 minutes, 45 seconds." So? I don't want to rush through the game. Sheesh.

I like GTA V more than GTA IV because the game is so much more fun than IV. Though I think that there are some stuff that I like in IV that isn't present in V (Bowling anyone?). I also prefer IV's story over V's

I really don't like having the timer and other objectives at the end of a mission. I don't care how long it takes me to complete a mission. Stop trying to make me go faster or do side objectives.

"This mission should have been completed in 10 minutes, 30 seconds. You completed it in 13 minutes, 45 seconds." So? I don't want to rush through the game. Sheesh.
Yeah, it was a little annoying to have a time-based mission. I'm thinking of the mission where you case the bank in Paleto Bay; one of the bonus objectives was to complete the drive to the bank as quickly as possible. But if you do, you miss the hilarious conversation about Trevor being a hipster.

I suppose they add replayability to the missions, because you are given no hints as to what those additional objectives are when you start the mission. But it is really, really easy to get the 70 holds required for the achievement - you do not have to complete all of the objectives in one go. Nor do the objectives reward lateral thinking; "Assassin's Creed 3" had the same problem. They're nice when you get them first time through without realising it, but that is about it.

I think 5 is better overall, however I did like the story in 4 and the floaty physics were much more fun! Let's also not forget the mighty Blista Compact from 4...

Honestly EVERYTHING about GTA5 is better than GTA4 IMO. Even if you narrow it down to single player only, the GTA5 campaign destroys GTA4 by a longshot. I personally thought the GTA4 campaign was terrible. Barely made it through 1 play through. GTA4 was honestly one of my largest disappointments ever in gaming history.

I'll just leave this here as well.

v40031_Roman-Bellic-Hey-cousin-Lets-go-bowling.jpg

But like I said earlier, it depends on what console we're talking about. If PS3/Xbox, then GTAV. It's just more alive on it's own than GTAIV was.

Now, if PC, GTAIV. Yes, it was a horrible port, but the mods make me go back to it. I have Spa-Francorchamps near Mikhail's house, a huge desert area with a long highway west of Alderney, and various car mods. Also have LCPDFR, which lets you be a cop.

Definitely 5. 4 was the most boring storyline I have ever played. It was almost always a follow and kill. there was no excitement

GTAIV on PS3 was horrible, I could never get past the hideous "vaseline" filter, controls were laggy and the color palette was atrocious. The story was really good and IMO better than GTAV's but the characters themselves were "gray".

Content wise, GTAV has the edge of course, more activities, more vehicles and more stuff to do with these vehicles. I really like the scale and variety of the map in GTAV but I can't deny that Liberty City felt more like a real city, it felt alive.

Overall, I like GTAV better.

GTA IV had a gritty atmosphere that turned me down whenever I played it. I prefer GTA V more because it has an airier atmosphere, if that makes sense. GTA IV had a brownish palette too, so everything felt very bland. In terms of story, GTA V has a bit more depth to it, mostly b/c you get to play three different people and all of them are very interesting to play. In GTA IV you get to play 1 guy, and while Niko's interesting to play, he's pretty jumbled-up to me. And that made him have a lot of depth compared to the trio after him.

IV was a good game when it first came out but oh lord, Liberty City was a grim place. V seems to have a bit more of everything and it looks damn gorgeous even on the PS3 and 360.

IV was a good game when it first came out but oh lord, Liberty City was a grim place. V seems to have a bit more of everything and it looks damn gorgeous even on the PS3 and 360.

Rockstar wasn't able to fully utilize the power of the PS3 and 360 at the time of developing GTA IV. They had much more experience with those systems when developing V, so they were able to push both machines to their limits. I'm sure that if there were ever an expansion to go back to Liberty City (I've heard rumors about it being flooded, who knows), despite most players not wanting to go backwards, it would probably look very different.

For me personally, V. IV was the first GTA game I played and while I did love it, V just feels so much better and has a lot more content, especially with multiplayer. It's nice to be able to ride a Sanchez without feeling like I'm on the moon, too.

I'm sure that if there were ever an expansion to go back to Liberty City (I've heard rumors about it being flooded, who knows)

I think it's more of a story made by Rockstar rather than a rumor. DJ George from Radio Mirror Park talks about it and mentions how sad it is that all those vintage bikes floated away. I think it's on a Weazel News report in story mode too. I'd like to check out Liberty City with next-gen graphics and such, hopefully it won't feel as dark and grim as it did in IV.

Back