GTA IV or GTA V?

• Thread starter Sage Ages
  • 48 comments

Which game do you prefer?

• Total voters
I feel like a game in LC with the features from IV and V would be pretty cool. I enjoyed doing all the little touches that were excluded from V, but I think it could also be better in some areas that V took care of.

For me personally, V. IV was the first GTA game I played and while I did love it, V just feels so much better and has a lot more content, especially with multiplayer. It's nice to be able to ride a Sanchez without feeling like I'm on the moon, too.

I think it's more of a story made by Rockstar rather than a rumor. DJ George from Radio Mirror Park talks about it and mentions how sad it is that all those vintage bikes floated away. I think it's on a Weazel News report in story mode too. I'd like to check out Liberty City with next-gen graphics and such, hopefully it won't feel as dark and grim as it did in IV.

I feel like a game in LC with the features from IV and V would be pretty cool. I enjoyed doing all the little touches that were excluded from V, but I think it could also be better in some areas that V took care of.

The motorcycle physics were a massive improvement in V. Sometimes, however, I wish we could actually get our bikes to slide controllably (Possibly under tractor trailers? :)). IV was also my first GTA game and my favorite game. It also felt harder to die during missions than in V where you take two bullets to the chest and you're dead (Body armor is useless in V). The clunky cover system was tricky to get used to, and I'm actually thankful that the auto aim function was bad. It forced me to learn to play with free aim and I made it through just about the entire game with it. I too, would like to see LC with next-gen graphics. I've been to NYC in real life and I can say it's mostly beautiful, not gritty, unless you venture into the gritty parts. There were a lot of things that needed to be changed with IV, but it was still a fun game.

Since this thread has had a bit of a revival- I prefer V to IV in almost every single way. IV did have a better story in many ways, but from a gameplay perspective V comes out on top. A lot of V's missions matched or even topped Three Leaf Clover, and there were plenty of diverse and interesting missions, unlike IV which was lots of 'Drive here, kill people, lose cops'. I also loved Liberty City, and the grittiness. I'd definitely love to see it re-visited with new-gen V as a base.

I'd also like to see IV's car-physics sort of make a comeback. The Dukes in that game felt absolutely perfect, it was big, powerful, and just flopped all over the place while burning rubber. A lot of the faster cars *cough* Comet *cough* just felt weird, there was way too much body roll in almost anything other than the big old american stuff. I think V pretty much nails the modern, sporty stuff in terms of how a GTA game 'should' feel, but falls down on the older cars. Some older cars need more body-roll and less grip (at least stock), and the suspension simulation is clearly there, just look at any of the serious off-roaders.

My opinion for both games.

GTA IV

- I prefer Liberty over San Andreas because I'm biased. I do feel like it could be expanded though.
- I like the story more.
- I like the vehicle selection. Ranged from beige to nice little cars you don't usually see.
- I liked what they tried to do with vehicle handling, but it still seems too floaty.
- The weapon selection is simple and somewhat balanced.
- I liked the characters in IV and the activities you could do with them.

GTA V

- I like the overall openness of the map.
- I didn't like the story.
- The vehicle selection feels better in some ways and worse in others. There is almost no variation in car models you see in traffic. Bikes also seem downgraded.
- Vehicle handling feels better, but seems too arcade like for my tastes.
- The weapon selection feels too linear, with everyone using the same kind of weapons. The weapons themselves also look awful in my opinion.
- The game did feel a little bit better to play in some aspects.
- I liked the sense of exaggeration, but it seems a bit unnecessary in some parts.
- I do like the overall freedom of V.

I went back and had an hour on GTA IV today. I couldn't believe how poor it looked, the cars! My god the cars were awful, they barely turned and the suspensions was waaaaaay to soft.

I loved the game when i played it originally, but since playing V for a year now V is and was a massive step forward.

:irked:

Am I the only one here that prefers the weighty driving of GTA IV? I felt like the cars of GTA V are too light. It's not that I hate it, I just like IV's better.

:irked:

Am I the only one here that prefers the weighty driving of GTA IV? I felt like the cars of GTA V are too light. It's not that I hate it, I just like IV's better.

On most cars, the driving felt pretty good. It's just that the Comet felt like it had monster truck suspension and you'd get launched to the moon if you ran over a ladybug. Motorcycles suffered the worst, however. They just randomly spun around and you couldn't put the power down without spinning out. I also hate the backflip glitch where if you go off a ramp, hold the gas, and pull back on the left stick to perform a backflip, your bike gets stuck upside down, then you crash and get damaged. This could be corrected if you release the gas right before you leave the ground, but it's still annoying, especially if you're in a chase or some other scenario where you forget to release.

I'd prefer a compromise between IV and V. That would be perfect.

Agreed. I enjoy V's handling, but it's too artificial.

I really enjoyed IV, but I prefer V.
It's been a few years since I played IV, which I traded in for something else.
Picked up another copy of IV yesterday, pre-owned only £2.99 from Game.

I really enjoyed IV, but I prefer V.
It's been a few years since I played IV, which I traded in for something else.
Picked up another copy of IV yesterday, pre-owned only £2.99 from Game.

Me too a few weeks ago, the complete edition on PS3 for only £2.99. I actually quizzed the guy at the checkout if it was the right price, as they also had GTA IV vanilla in stock which cost more. Probably the best gaming bargain I have had. 👍

Also picked up Brink for 99p. Haven't really played it yet, but around it's release I read several good reviews.

Edit: A quick look on the PS Store and got Liberty City Stories (Lost & Damned and Ballad of Gay Tony) for only £4.99. Downloaded and installed 8GB, now gonna play them for a bit. Back on GTA-V tomorrow.

Last edited:
IV for me.

Been six years and I missed this thread? How? Dunno.

Anyway, I do play V more than IV(BoGT), but IV feels better in terms of the landscape. Being able to travel to the different boroughs. I miss that part of NYC(I don't miss the cold weather though).

V feels like I'm just inside one big circle. A Petri dish.

For all V's improvements, it lacks the functionality of IV.
I mean, why own all these clubs in V, if I can't enter them? I have one girlfriend as Franklin, a hook up as Trevor and a family as Michael. Yet, I can't drive them all in one car and go to the mountains or on a boat ride. Can't take my gf to the amusement park(well, she is a bit out there), etc.

Now, the mechanics of IV, are horrible. That's the main reason I play V more than IV. I still like the storyline of IV, TLD & BoGT. At least, the journey I immersed myself in.

Lastly, the soundtracks. I call IV... by a hair. Just by the era, I stay tuned to VLADIVOSTOK, TUFF*GONG and electroshock.
With V, it's listening to Pam Grier, Bootsie Collins and FlyLo and only A.D.H.D, when it plays.

Never saw this thread.

Overall, I prefer GTA V. The original game was quite something. I wish they had built a bit more of an active world outside of the main city. Paleto Bay feels so dead. I wish they had put some more effort into activities up there. Going back and playing GTA SA, despite its age and obvious hardware limitations, there is something very special about traveling between the 3 cities. GTA IV had something similar with the boroughs. When you play V online, it's obvious that other players just don't leave the city.* Part of that is that Rockstar never bothered to have halfway decent properties to buy outside the city.

The driving was maybe exaggerated in IV and maybe a too simplified in V.

Story-wise, I didn't love either one of them. IV was maybe a bit better, but not substantially.

At the end of the day, cruising along the California coast is just more my style than hunkering down in a perpetually grim autumn NYC.

*I would love for somebody to do an analytic heat-map of player activity in GTA Online. I'd bet that the vast majority of player activity happens here:

woZ943d.jpg

As a result, the game feels smaller than it really needs to. Its where nearly ALL the good properties are. How did they create a recreation of Southern California without a single beach house? No mountain cabins? Yes the bunkers are more far flung, but I don't guess many players spend a lot of their non-grinding time in their bunkers. I guess that's what is most sad about GTA Online: The grinding basically overwhelmed the fun.

Last edited:
That's why I don't understand GTA V. There is a huge mall that we can run around on the roof, but can't enter and hide inside, buy clothes, get a Sprunk, go see a movie. It's a potential game within itself.

Nakatomi Plaza is right there! At least in IV, I can enter the tenement buildings, projects, the Empire State Building and go to the observatory. Should be able to do that in all buildings, in addition to the one under construction.

I’m doing another play-through of V after getting it free on Epic and, while the gameplay is good, man, the story and characters are just so meh compared to the previous 3 in the series (plus they never released any DLC for SP).

And, considering they made GTA Online a complete mess (I had two level 300+ characters when I had enough and stopped playing), I’m giving the edge to IV.

At its peak, V was definitely better when Online was actually fun.

I’m doing another play-through of V after getting it free on Epic and, while the gameplay is good, man, the story and characters are just so meh compared to the previous 3 in the series (plus they never released any DLC for SP).

And, considering they made GTA Online a complete mess (I had two level 300+ characters when I had enough and stopped playing), I’m giving the edge to IV.

At its peak, V was definitely better when Online was actually fun.

I agree they OP'd the life/joy out of GTA Online.

I agree they OP'd the life/joy out of GTA Online.

I would agree, I gave GTA V and Online almost all my time from 2013 to 2019 when I eventually realised I wasn't having fun with it anymore and the event weeks and content they've been drip feeding out well I just am no longer interested.

Really disappointed to see they are dragging V out for another instalment on PS5, I will gladly wait for IV but who know when it will appear...

Surprised neither game added snow for the console games. I don't know about weather conditions for PC players, but snow at different times in Liberty City and snow capped mountains in SA would be cool.

Back