GTA Online Thread (Useful Links in OP)

• Thread starter dhandeh
  • 42,329 comments
Looks great, but the grind to unlock anything cool has already put me off. I only ever played GTAO to be able to buy cool cars so I'm interested, but ultimately I doubt it'll bring me back for more than a couple of hours.

Well for anyone who is still playing please post up any info re the 'unlock system' for the new Tuners DLC update. I have horrible 'visions' of Arena Wars all over again which is what killed GTA Online for me.

The cars look lovely but if the progression is too much (I already am full time dedicated to Call of Duty Cold War and Genshin Impact/Forza Horizon 4, GT Sport) I don't think I'll be able to juggle this into the mix.

Also the first of many attempts to get you to 'upgrade' to PS5 with the rewards giving more benefits in the new enhanced edition of the game...

There's 1000 potential levels to unlock stuff. Clothes, liveries, wheels, and discounts on the new cars. Appears you randomly unlock a car discount every 5 levels, other levels have set prizes. You get XP for doing street/pursuit races, hanging out in the car meet, doing time trials/race things in the car meet test track, buying the new clothes at the car meet, and buying upgrades for your car while at the car meet.

Since you get XP periodically for just hanging out at the car meet, you can basically AFK in the corner with your analog sticks rubberbanded and get XP that way but I'm not gonna bother.

Street races are basically just races, but have cars parked around and stuff, they have shortcuts, and for now at least you can only use the new "Tuner" cars in them . Sacrifice races to learn where the shortcuts are... some only help a little, but some help a lot, and many are kinda tricky (narrow or have objects to hit), but once you figure them out it will make a big difference. There's only like 6 of them so it doesn't take long to learn them.

Pursuit races are point to point races with few checkpoints, and police chasing you. They should be fun, but my experience is that the police and traffic are so laggy and wacky that it makes it feel more like a lottery. Maybe they work good on SX/PS5 but on XB1 they are awful.

You can buy an "auto shop" now... but unfortunately it is accompanied by the worst NPCs yet, Moodyman and his girlfriend. They are painful to listen to, but the garage is kinda cool... Definite "car guy" customization options, 10 new spots for cars, can do mini-heist style missions from them that have 2 setups and a finale, customize cars as "legit" work where you don't have to fight NPCs and stuff, and find cars to export. None of it will make you more than Cayo Perico runs, but it's a nice change of pace, and it appears it can all be done invite-only sessions and solo.

The new cars fall into a special "Tuner" category which allows muscle cars to race sports cars and so on. For those looking for the fastest of the new cars to use for some races, the Calico GTF seems to the be the one. It doesn't handle amazing but has monster acceleration. I've just been using a stock one and have won 20 something races today/tonight.

Can also remove radio stations from the radio wheel now, which is amazing.

Last edited:
I seriously doubt they'll be making any changes to the driving mechanics after...what 8 years? This update looks vaguely interesting...but not enough to bring me back.
You can purchase low grip tyres in the LS car meet mod shop and drift in the test track although I think when you drive outside the tyres revert back to standard ones. Not 100% sure if that is intentional or not.
Still, drifting in gta isnt the easiest.

Edit: Low grip tyres cost <$500 iirc

Last edited:
You can purchase low grip tyres in the LS car meet mod shop and drift in the test track although I think when you drive outside the tyres revert back to standard ones. Not 100% sure if that is intentional or not.
Still, drifting in gta isnt the easiest.

Edit: Low grip tyres cost <$500 iirc
They don't switch back when you drive outside, so you can actually use them in the city. But I read they switch back to the standard ones when you quit the game.

But yeah you still can't drift. There's that weird traction control that limits the rear wheels from spinning and breaking traction when the car is sideways, so if you try to maintain a sliding angle you will eventually come to near stop. That doesn't seem to be a problem in 1st gear though so you can now do slightly larger radius donuts.

Really enjoying this update. It's not hard to gain reputation and there's multiple ways to gain it. Each day (or session, maybe) you can get reputation for modifying 1 part of your car, test driving a car or completing 1 lap of the time trial. So I tend to do these first thing as they're nice and quick.

You also get reputation for head to heads and Scramble, but think there may be a bonus for the first time you do it each day/session, or it decreases the more you do them. Not quite worked that out. Scramble's fun with mates and gives a decent reputation boost.

The Street races and pursuit series are fun and give me NFS vibes, although the latter can get a bit laggy with 16 players and 5 star police.

You get access to trade prices every 5 levels and there's going to be a different prize car each week so you shouldn't need to pay the higher price for any of the new cars.

Last edited:
I like pretty much everything about it, but the rep. system. Playing as intended, you'll need to be doing races as a full time job b/c the rep. for modding, time trials, or anything else only gives a boost once a day. Having to resort to other methods to farm it. Worse yet it apparently scales, so the rep. for 100-101 is reportedly larger than say 50-51. There's a decent bit of mods, liveries, and clothes a lot of players are never going to experience out of this update unless Rockstar makes some changes.

A tip I read though is to wear a piece of clothing from the LS Meet vendor. That is supposed to double the rep. you gain.

Last edited:
So, with ScriptHookV up and able, I had a chance to ride in the dripfeed tuners. Here's a quick blurb.

Comet S2 (992 Carrera):
Behaves very similar to the 811, but for tuners. Understeers like the 811. Top speed is probably about the late 120s, and has the acceleration to bring it there quite nicely. Crazy bodywork options, caters well if you want a Gemballa or a racing Porsche. Never knew how to feel about a 992 trying to be a 930. Also with the Growler, it has the best looking stock speedometer.

Previon (Z30 Soarer):
Smooth on the corners. A friendly ride, more than the Tailgater S. Nothing remarkable for customization, and has a bit of trouble getting up to speed. Amazingly is a Coupe, but the Zion is a much better drive to me. I don't think Z30 Soarers sound monstrous, because it took the sound from the XA-21.

Growler (718 Cayman):
Good top speed, but unlike the S2, it's a sensitive and twitchy one, probably sums up well on what this is. Need to learn driving around uneven terrain and getting the proper throttle control down or you're going to find yourself on the side of the road. It has a great top end, though (about 126 MPH). Funny how this car has some rally raid customization options. Didn't know they brought Caymans to rally.

Sultan RS Classic (Impreza Coupe):
The only AWD car in this dripfeed. It's super similar to the 4 door car, but with the bonus to race tuners. It has just about every customization option the regular Sultan Classic has, aside from the light tints and engine. You can truly stance this baby if you lower it to the max.

Cypher (M2):
Definitely the rival to the Tailgater S. Very stable and easy to drive, only being a bit loose on the rear at high speeds. Not very notable elsewhere. Very nice customization options, but if you're wondering the 2 variations of the Most Wanted livery is locked behind reputation. And there's no giant wing or something ridiculous.

Dominator ASP (Mustang SVT Cobra R):
If we're to compare to the GTT, we can minus agility, then plus on a bit of acceleration and speed. It's also smaller, and easier to drive, not to mention it has downforce. Might end up being the top of Muscles. It's still got that MUSCLE POWER on the rear, so you have to watch the throttle for consistency's sake.

Vectre (RC F):
THE handling car of the dripfeed. Nothing can weave around the back roads as good as a.. big heavy, V8 powered luxury performance saloon?? Competes in this department with the Jester RR. It's only weakness is the speed department.

Literally had 5-10 minutes on each car so don't take my word for it. I'll definitely check on how stable these bunch are next time.
EDIT: got some more drive time with each of the cars.

Last edited:
It seems like with each update they are treading closer and closer to replicas of real life vehicle designs. The Dinka RT3000 for instance...aside from the joke of an interior, I don't think any reasonable person would say its different from the Honda S2000. The front is the same, the back is the same, and the side is the same. It's basically a 1:1 recreation aside from different light graphics. This rubs me the wrong way because R* is profiting quite substantially on other people's creative work. Is Honda harmed by this? Probably not...but it still feels wrong. I also think it's trending towards uncanny valley and feels pretty low effort, but that's a whole other discussion...

It seems like with each update they are treading closer and closer to replicas of real life vehicle designs. The Dinka RT3000 for instance...aside from the joke of an interior, I don't think any reasonable person would say its different from the Honda S2000. The front is the same, the back is the same, and the side is the same. It's basically a 1:1 recreation aside from different light graphics. This rubs me the wrong way because R* is profiting quite substantially on other people's creative work. Is Honda harmed by this? Probably not...but it still feels wrong. I also think it's trending towards uncanny valley and feels pretty low effort, but that's a whole other discussion...
It doesn't bother me for me now as there are just a handful, but if it becomes more common I totally agree.

It would definitely cheapen the experience a bit of they just went all in on blatant ripoffs... It's kinda funny that making the cars more "real" would make the game feel more artificial though, but it would definitely remove a ton of originality/creativity from the experience. I've always loved seeing what cars they take design cues from and blend together, and if they stop bothering with that it would make the game much less interesting... but unfortunately I think it's only car people that would notice/complain, and the filthy casuals wouldn't notice or would actually be happy about it.

The path GTA V/Online has been going down (in a lot of areas) is going to make it very interesting to see which direction they go with GTA VI.

Does anyone here still play?
I ask because I just started playing a few weeks ago and it's really hard to get a crew together for the heists.
I'm also looking for players to do heists, if you are still playing. Even though in Europe, I generally play with Australians so time zone wouldn't be much of an issue.

PSN: Belifant

I'm also looking for players to do heists, if you are still playing. Even though in Europe, I generally play with Australians so time zone wouldn't be much of an issue.

PSN: Belifant
Hey mate,

I have finished all the high end apartment heists but I'm more then happy to help you. I got your friend request.

Last edited:
GTA 5 Online - The Contract

GTA Online's next DLC will be coming 15th December 2021.
The trailer doesn't really give too much away with regards to what content is coming but it looks like more of the same if I had to take a guess.
It looks a lot like fan service to story-mode folks who never got a DLC. Hopefully, Rockstar put some effort into this with Franklin being the central figure; they (& Take Two) aren't exactly doing the gaming community any wonders right now.

57AE2632-1448-48D4-9F1D-112F006124C0.jpeg

Classic Rockstar as usual.

Last edited:
I haven't been able to play too much of the update yet (maybe 2.5 hours so far) but already this update is shaping up to be pretty bad.

To start off, what is in my opinion, one of the worst cases of 1 step forwards 1 step back, all of the little security contracts that you can do in free roam have to be done in a public lobby which takes us all the way back to gun running, import/export, biker businesses and office warehouse supplies levels of annoying. The security contacts themselves are more of the same, sending you half way across the map to collect something and bring it back. The Asset Protection contracts might be more annoying however, requiring you to spend 10 minutes fending off waves of enemies trying to destroy boxes. It is essentially just survival without the free ammo resupplies. The amount of money you spend on ammo here outweighs how much you earn from the contract itself.

I've only been able to do 1 part of the VIP Contract set ups as it seemed to take them forever to contact me after completing the first set up. The cut scenes so far however have been way more entertaining than what we got from Tuners. Lamar particularly is a standout for me.

The Stun Gun & EMP Launcher are locked behind a paywall. When you purchase the Agency, you will need to add the Armoury for 700k to be able to purchase these two for another 356k and 377k respectively. So for 2 weapons you need to spend about 1.4mil.
However, if you have a friend who already has the armoury in their agency, you can purchase the stun gun and EMP launcher from their armoury meaning you don't have to spend 700k on your own armoury.

I haven't purchased any of the vehicles that released with the update. I'm waiting for people to figure out which ones are the fastest in their own categories, but also they cost a ridiculous amount of money. The cheapest car at release (ignoring trade prices) is the Pfister Asteron (Porsche Cayenne) which costs 1.565mil. If we include trade prices the cheapest becomes the Enus Jubilee (Rolls Royce Cullinan) at 1.237mil. Both of these are SUV's, a class where the current fastest vehicle (the Pegassi Toros/Lamborghini Urus) cost 500k. The most expensive is the Dewbauchee Champion which costs a staggering $2.995mil without the trade price, which I believe makes it the most expensive non-weaponised car in the game, although I can't confirm that.

I'm hoping this update somehow improves as I continue progressing through it. So far the pay-outs have been abysmal, so I'm hoping the VIP contract fixes that, although I doubt Cayo Perico is getting replaced as the fastest way to make money, even the auto shop contracts have better pay-outs than these.

To sum up, my expectations for this update were very low and somehow I am still disappointed. The only redeeming qualities so far have been Franklin, Lamar and Chop, everything else is meh or just straight up making the game even worse.

Watched a lot of GTA Online's new DLC on YouTube yesterday but have decided to 'pass' this one..

I haven't a lot of money in the game and since I have seen the story play out through the live youtube streams I enjoyed it but too many annoyances with the rest of the DLC, the public lobby backwards step is my main 'irk' for the contracts part.

That said I did see some nice things, having everything located in the agency is good and all the cars look good but are far too expensive for what they are (even with trade price) so that's a big off, I am not grinding3 Cayo Perico's just to buy one car.

At least they fixed the LS Car Meet rep that it now pays out rep when you do auto shop work and I liked the fact that cars that come into the autoshop now you get the opton to buy them though that I suspect could be expensive for me.

New clothes seemed OK too, at least they finally added some hoodies I might wear.

Something is up with the servers, because i've been spawning into 3-4 people lobbies, and some of those, after 1 minute in the lobby i get booted, and end up on my own.

but usually i play with my crew, in a public session, it helps, if 20 or so crew members are in the same lobby to keep the griefers away haha.

The missile jammer is honestly the best thing they've added in a long time. It's literally the best thing for MK2 griefers.

Watched a lot of GTA Online's new DLC on YouTube yesterday but have decided to 'pass' this one..

I haven't a lot of money in the game and since I have seen the story play out through the live youtube streams I enjoyed it but too many annoyances with the rest of the DLC, the public lobby backwards step is my main 'irk' for the contracts part.

That said I did see some nice things, having everything located in the agency is good and all the cars look good but are far too expensive for what they are (even with trade price) so that's a big off, I am not grinding3 Cayo Perico's just to buy one car.

At least they fixed the LS Car Meet rep that it now pays out rep when you do auto shop work and I liked the fact that cars that come into the autoshop now you get the opton to buy them though that I suspect could be expensive for me.

New clothes seemed OK too, at least they finally added some hoodies I might wear.
This ended up being a bug & has been fixed. You can play the entirety (minus the Franklin/Lamar missions which are not public lobby, but require 2 people) of 'The Contract' in Invite Only now.

This ended up being a bug & has been fixed. You can play the entirety (minus the Franklin/Lamar missions which are not public lobby, but require 2 people) of 'The Contract' in Invite Only now.
Great news! Then I guess I will be having a look at the DLC in due course during the holidays!

I can work round the two player Franklin/Lamar missions since I have two profiles so I can just invite myself as the other player.

Great news! Then I guess I will be having a look at the DLC in due course during the holidays!

I can work round the two player Franklin/Lamar missions since I have two profiles so I can just invite myself as the other player.
After finishing these missions last night I would say they are not easy. You dont get access to your own weapons however you can access your own snacks/armour. Also, if one of you die, its a restart.

lol wait no one has posted anything here since last year?

anyways, new update for GTAO coming on the 26th with a lot of quality of life improvements

They released more information on the quality of life improvements

Some key highlights
  • Most events will now pay 50% more
  • More easily consume snacks and armor
  • Heists have a 50% or 75% increase
  • Solo playthroughs of Cayo Perico Heist Finale will trigger a 3 in game day cooldown

New Snack and Armor interaction seen here

1658537185818.png

Back