GTA: SA - Have you reserved your copy?

• Thread starter Acid X
  • 268 comments
Yep, and you're doing a fine job of it.

Also, breaching the release date is unfair to the fans that don't get it early. It's wrong in my opinion, and this is not out of jealousy of people getting the game early, as I'm in Australia anyway and I get this later. So that's not an issue.

I think it's great luck for the people that ARE getting it early, but it's very unprofessional on EB and GameStop's behalf. I actually went in to EB today and asked them what they thought, and if they were going to follow the path of their American counter-parts. They said it's plain unthoughtful and unprofessional. They aren't going to do it here, because it would be a bit unfair. People would have had it planned to go in on the proper release date, and can't get in on the earlier date. That also means, that the people that get in a little bit later on the proper release date might not get in on the first shipment, depending on how busy the particular store gets.

I must say I'm disappointed in EB (I'm loyal to EB), and GameStop. GameStop especially, seeing they are Rockstar's first choice Gaming Store, and hold a close relationship with them. EB are Rockstar's second choice (that means they get notifications of delays or any changes with the game first and second respectively).

It's also illegal. I'm wondering if Rockstar will actually respond to this?

I hope they do, the stores have no right to do this to R*, the fans and ther other stores. It's unfair and illegal and I hope this is followed up on.

I don' think its going to particularly bother R*. I'm sure they won't waste there time or money on it. Hopefully once San Andreas hits the shelves this week they will concentrate on finding the original pirateers, and begin working there magic on the next GTA. :)

The PS3 won't be out untill '07 approx. Thye're having a rest, and they have plenty of time to get the next title together.

Yeah, and they said not to expect to see a GTA game as soon as PS3 comes out, anyway. So we have a while to enjoy San Andreas.

Also, I agree with pimpin_t to an extent. On one hand, I don't expect Rockstar to care too much, as they have the Pirating to deal with and also the fact that this whole selling-it-early thing, is getting them sales. But on the other hand, I think they will care, as they will probably be sick of the illegality surrounding the game. And also the fact that it is unfair, wrong and illegal. It is also a breach of Rockstar's contract, so they might not be happy with the disrespect.

Who knows. I don't see anything happening yet.

I agree they have more important matters to follow up on but I still think it's important and something should be done.

I think it's something that's important and should be done, too. I agree totally. But, that's not what I was saying (I'm sure you know that), I was saying that they may not decide to deal with it because of those factors. But they may.

I sent an Email to GPstore a few hours ago and I just get a reply:

Hi Blake,

We will be shipping it out 1~2days before the release, however there's no
guarantee that you will get your copy exactly on the 29th, ETA for
Queensland and NSW 29th-Nov 2nd. For Western states Nov 1st-3rd.

Cheers
Justin
Gameplanet Store

So it all sounds +ve for getting the game on Friday 👍

...Saturday, Sunday or Monday. I would guess Saturday. Friday is possible.

The only reason you would get it on Sunday or Monday is because of some long-ish delay, which I don't think will happen. Friday/Saturday. Saturday is my guess.

Cosmic
Damn , that's expensive :eek:

Don't forget that US, Canadian and New Zealand dollars are not the same thing. The game doesn't cost $80US in Canada, it costs 80 Canadian dollars and it doesn't cost $100US in New Zealand, it costs 100 New Zealand dollars.

$100 in New Zealand is about $70US
$80 in Canada is about $65US

Here the game is expected to be €60 which is about $75.

Which means that the game is still cheaper in the US, just not by as much as $40.

KM.

KieranMurphy
Don't forget that US, Canadian and New Zealand dollars are not the same thing. The game doesn't cost $80US in Canada, it costs 80 Canadian dollars and it doesn't cost $100US in New Zealand, it costs 100 New Zealand dollars.

$100 in New Zealand is about $70US
$80 in Canada is about $65US

Here the game is expected to be €60 which is about $75.

Which means that the game is still cheaper in the US, just not by as much as $40.

KM.
Woah...
I must have really missunderstod with the dollars.
I tought they had the same value :ouch:

Why is there such a big deal about Gamestop and EB games giving the game to people early? Especially if they pre-ordered it? I think that the only concerns that rockstar will have is there not being enough copies to put on the shelves after pre-orders are done. If you pre-order, OBVIOUSLY you should get it before other people. Pre-ordered people have already PAID their copy, so its like they already bought the game before the release date anyway. I also dont see how selling a game that is a legitimate version is illegal, a day before release or not.

Rockstar could care less about them selling the game even a week before the scheduled release date, as long as the store is selling a legitimate copy, and as long as Rockstar is getting paid for it.

I don't see how this is illegal at all.

Acid X

I don't know if it's illegal or not, maybe there is a contract between retailers and Rockstar that's being broken, but I agree with you that in that I can't see what the fuss is.

Who cares...really?

It's not like anyone here is being cheated or at a disadvantage because someone else gets their copy a day early.

KM.

Acid X
Why is there such a big deal about Gamestop and EB games giving the game to people early? Especially if they pre-ordered it? I think that the only concerns that rockstar will have is there not being enough copies to put on the shelves after pre-orders are done. If you pre-order, OBVIOUSLY you should get it before other people. Pre-ordered people have already PAID their copy, so its like they already bought the game before the release date anyway. I also dont see how selling a game that is a legitimate version is illegal, a day before release or not.

Rockstar could care less about them selling the game even a week before the scheduled release date, as long as the store is selling a legitimate copy, and as long as Rockstar is getting paid for it.

This was explained in previous posts but i will say it again.
The reason for peoples concerns is that it is unfair to other retailers that are adhering to there release date contracts, and its also unfair to gamers who have bought the game from those stores.
This bascically means that other retailers that are releasing the game on tuesday are missing out on revenue.

R32GTST/M
This was explained in previous posts but i will say it again.
The reason for peoples concerns is that it is unfair to other retailers that are adhering to there release date contracts, and its also unfair to gamers who have bought the game from those stores.
Well, my heart bleeds for the retailers who are losing out on revenue because some store across town sells the game for an hour or two the day before release. Maybe I'd care more if they didn't jack up their prices to try to rip off their customers. I've seen price difference of €10 in the price of a game between different retailers. They're obviously not playing by fair rules anyway.

This bascically means that other retailers that are releasing the game on tuesday are missing out on revenue.
Well, speak for yourself, but I'm not in the slightest bit concerned that competition amongst games retailers means that some get less revenue than others. I honestly couldn't care less and I'm not sure why anyone here really does.

KM.

KieranMurphy
Well, my heart bleeds for the retailers who are losing out on revenue because some store across town sells the game for an hour or two the day before release. Maybe I'd care more if they didn't jack up their prices to try to rip off their customers. I've seen price difference of €10 in the price of a game between different retailers. They're obviously not playing by fair rules anyway.
That is a good point ive also noticed similar price differences in stores, infact that is the reason i chose my gamestore over larger retaliers like EB games because i could get it cheaper, maybe this is the same around the world so to counter this they are releasing the game earlier to get an edge back, so all the gullable people who paid to much won't kick up a fuss.

53 minutes till I can pick mine up :D:D:D:D... i'll be getting home 2 hours late but daaamn, it'll be sooooo worth it :D

Acid X
It's not illegal, but a breach of contract basically.

The reason behind this debate is contractual agreement and unprofessionalism. Firstly, Rockstar/Take-Two Interactive have a contractual agreement with Gamestop, EB Games, etc etc etc, to sell the game on the appropriate release date. The price doesn't matter, as the same percentage of revenue goes from the Game store to Rockstar/Take Two Interactive, so that's really up the company. What isn't fair, is that Rockstar set a date, and that was just ignored by the companies. This means that people had planned something for Tuesday, and by the time they get in, depending on how busy the store is, they may not be able to get it.

Now you may not care KM, and that's your choice, but it's a little unprofessional of EB and Gamestop to do this. It may be good for the fans that buy there, and all for them, they got lucky. I'm just discussing the previous matter, and we all share different views, yours included.

Jimmy Enslashay
Now you may not care KM, and that's your choice, but it's a little unprofessional of EB and Gamestop to do this. It may be good for the fans that buy there, and all for them, they got lucky. I'm just discussing the previous matter, and we all share different views, yours included.

I just don't understand why anyone would actually care. If Rockstar have a legal contract problem with certain game retailers then they can set loose their crack team of contract lawyers.

Some of the responses on this thread make it sound like Grand Theft Auto players should somehow care about some breach of contract between some faceless game retail chain and some game devlopment company.

I guess I just don't give 2 hoots about Rockstar Games. They make the games and if I want 'em I pony up the cash.

KM.

Yeah, we were originally "wondering what Rockstar Games would do about this", and it turned into a debate.

But by discussing how it's unfair, unprofessional and a breach of contract, Blake and I were only discussing why we were discussing the original discussion. :lol: It just turned sour, like alot of threads seem to be doing lately. Alot.

I think thats just because everyone has strong views on this subject. I know i do, i think it sux for R* that retailers are selling there games early, even if it does'nt effect me in the slightest.

Jimmy Enslashay
It just turned sour, like alot of threads seem to be doing lately. Alot.
Nothing sour about the thread at all. Just a difference of opinion, which is what every forum needs. Keeps things interesting.

KM.

Back