GTAcademy 2016 preparation

• Thread starter KTZ
  • 52 comments

KTZ

France
Metz, France
GTP_ktz_
Hey guys, i create this thread regarding GTAcademy. I'm planning on taking part in the next edition and i'm looking for ways to practice ingame. I already started my physical training back in early march and since then i've lost 26 kilos (103->77/76) and i'm quite happy of that haha :D. What could i do ingame to really clock amazing times like these top 10 aliens we see every year ? What car should i use and how should i drive it in order to improve ? I usually use standard trajectories (out-in-out) but i feel like sometimes i could go way much quicker or i feel like i'm doing it wrong even tho i managed to be ranked around 300th in Eu during 2015 qualifiers.
Any tips, exercises that could get me on ?

All I can say is just keep practicing and try to project the lines of the people at the top of the leaderboard.

In terms of physically, you need to fully focus on cardio and core strength training.

I'm sorry to say but there's no secret tip in going fast on GT6, It just comes down to even more practice and mileage.

Don't forget to do some real life racing! Get most tracktime as possible, like trackdays with an instructor or drifttraining! If you get a racing license or you are joining races make sure you keep it within the rules. Although the rules voor GTA 2016 are not available yet :)

Yeah i try to go to karting as much as possible :D I'm also practicing on some local touge roads with my car (Megane RS :P). But yeah i should go to karting even more often, the handful of times i've been at it really improved my driving, i'll be there more often ! :D

KTZ
and i'm looking for ways to practice ingame.

Matt Simmons (@MINT_GTR) 2015 International Champion and Pedro Martins (@eol) 2015 European Finalist took part in the GTPlanet Endurance Series this year as their main sim-racing program, With Matt quoting the Series as an influence on his success;

He added: ”GT6 just kind of moved forward with me as I progressed into the GT Academy phase, and with the help of the (GTPlanet) Endurance Series and other communities – that’s where I got better that way.”*

We use the term 'Sim-Motorsport' as we aim to replicate all aspects of the world of racing both on and off track. We run full length endurance events based upon their real world counterparts. These are team events with 2-5 drivers per car, conducting network driver changes during pit stops enabling teams with drivers all over the planet to complete together. If successful in GT Academy this is exactly the form of motorsport you will be placed in. Last year saw 188 drivers (834 entries) represent 70 teams over a 24 race season with a mix of 24, 12, 6, and 4 hour events in a mix of contemporary sports car machinery.

The Series will continue into its 3rd year in 2016. Initial details have already been announced HERE, and application forms for potential franchise holders are available by contacting me via PM with the title '2016'.

Good luck with your preparations, and I look forward to seeing many of you on track next year.

*Source - http://downforce-radio.co.uk/gt-academys-matt-simmons-im-not-naturally-amazing-at-gt/

I can confirm that GTPlanet Endurance Series helped me so much in pretty much everything, AJ has done such a fantastic job, trying to simulate as much as possible what happens in real racing into the simulator. The level there is so high that you really have to pratice and eventually you get better, also the rules and everything are all real-life based. Make sure you take it seriously and respect others, if you respect others they will respect you back.

Now as far as GT Academy preparation, make sure you are prepared physically, not only in weight but in stamina and strenght. Watch real life races, onboards, use different types of cars in the simulator, with real life settings and tyres.

And do one thing I wasn't able to do before going there, do Track Days, even if you can do just 1 or 2 it's experience and you learn a lot everytime. Unfortunately there's no track in the place I live so that wasn't a possibility for me.

Also don't put your hopes too high about the whole competition, it's a racing competition but GT Academy is a TV show, not sure if other years was like that but this one we didn't have much driving time, the key was to get through the short challenges and if you don't have much experience it can be hard for you, because everything is new and to adapt with just 1-2 tries is not a easy thing.

Good luck!

My best advice would simply be 'if you aren't already one of the best sim racers in the world who can qualify with ease, don't waste your time'

Sadly, I found out gt academy is a lottery.

I couldn't have prepared any better, and as a result I believe (not 100% sure on the plastic tyres drifting) I came first in every challenge in the UK team up until my elimination.

The fact I was the fittest and the fastest never came into it when I was eliminated. I should think myself lucky I got to drive really, half the competitors didn't.

When you consider I spent hours every day doing filming and interviews, some days were only filming, then I had 8 laps with Mark Shulzsitskiy who wasn't even supposed to teach me anything, that kind of speaks for it's self I think.

Gt academy is amazing for the winner, and I had a great time and made some good mates. Just don't kid yourself into thinking you'll win even if you're as fit as an althete and as fast as Hamilton :lol:

Last edited:
My best advice would simply be 'if you aren't already one of the best sim racers in the world who can qualify with ease, don't waste your time'

I couldn't have prepared any better, and as a result I believe (not 100% sure on the plastic tyres drifting) I came first in every challenge in the UK team up until my elimination.

The fact I was the fittest and the fastest never came into it when I was eliminated. I should think myself lucky I got to drive really, half the competitors didn't.

When you consider I spent hours every day doing filming and interviews, some days were only filming, then I had 8 laps with Mark Shulzsitskiy who wasn't even supposed to teach me anything, that kind of speaks for it's self I think.

Gt academy is amazing for the winner, and I had a great time and made some good mates. Just don't kid yourself into thinking you'll win even if you're as fit as an althete and as fast as Hamilton :lol:
While I can see your frustration with the process. It is what it is and if that's what it takes for someone to win there is no room for error.

James is so right. As someone who went with him from the uk the whole thing was a joke. I was one of those who didint really drive, in the drag race out of 4 i had the 2nd best time and still went out!! James had clearly prepared the best in the uk and was clearly the best! I dont like saying it but james was the best. To be first in everything and lose out on some dog**** elimination like i did was a joke. James was also clearly 2nd or 1st best in the juke challange as well. Sadly gt academy dont give a **** about finding the best driver, hence why james got eliminated and why would you put your best two drivers in the drag race together? It might of been different in earlier years but the european comp this year was a joke. Like james said made some great friends but that is about it. Also the fact that it was in abu dubai did not help with the pathetic amount of driving either. There is an old saying which says is something is too good to be true it probably is, this was certinally the case with gt acdemy this year.

I think the point that James tried to make here is that all the preparation in terms of driving or fitness could turn out irrelevant because the fundamental part of the competition is the TV show and not driving or fitness. And if you get knocked out in a drag race or something like that even a good performance on the track won't save you from elimination. From what I had been told in Abu Dhabi it seems like I set the fastest lap of all contenders in that one session of 8 flying laps and it wasn't relevant at all regarding the eliminations. I don't mean to say that there is no point in trying. Just like in the lottery you can't win if you don't try. So anyone who really wants this should give it a try and one of you all will eventually be the lucky one to get the contract.

James is so right. As someone who went with him from the uk the whole thing was a joke. I was one of those who didint really drive, in the drag race out of 4 i had the 2nd best time and still went out!! James had clearly prepared the best in the uk and was clearly the best! I dont like saying it but james was the best. To be first in everything and lose out on some dog**** elimination like i did was a joke. James was also clearly 2nd or 1st best in the juke challange as well. Sadly gt academy dont give a **** about finding the best driver, hence why james got eliminated and why would you put your best two drivers in the drag race together? It might of been different in earlier years but the european comp this year was a joke. Like james said made some great friends but that is about it. Also the fact that it was in abu dubai did not help with the pathetic amount of driving either. There is an old saying which says is something is too good to be true it probably is, this was certinally the case with gt acdemy this year.
Definitely sounds like it was a disappointment for you guys in terms of the set up. I'm struggling to understand how the final 3 guys got through though? Was it a lucky dip? What did they do differently?

Definitely sounds like it was a disappointment for you guys in terms of the set up. I'm struggling to understand how the final 3 guys got through though? Was it a lucky dip? What did they do differently?

It was half luck half skill to get to the end to be honest. As @DBCooper said above, he did the fastest time of everyone when we tested the race cars, closely followed by me, but neither of us made it near the end. We both went out on the "bridge to no where" both in the left lane, driving the same car. And as far as we can tell, everyone who went out that day, did so in the silver car in the left lane...

My time in the race car was 1:17.4, three seconds faster than 2 of the uk final 3.. But don't doubt that Ben Bishop deserved to be there at the end.. He was good. Matt did a solid job all week too.

It was half luck half skill to get to the end to be honest. As @DBCooper said above, he did the fastest time of everyone when we tested the race cars, closely followed by me, but neither of us made it near the end. We both went out on the "bridge to no where" both in the left lane, driving the same car. And as far as we can tell, everyone who went out that day, did so in the silver car in the left lane...

My time in the race car was 1:17.4, three seconds faster than 2 of the uk final 3.. But don't doubt that Ben Bishop deserved to be there at the end.. He was good. Matt did a solid job all week too.
Tbh ohwell if you ever get to race camp you will understand what a PR exercise gt academy is. Its hard to put it into words and some of the things i have heard about gt academy i wont repeat on this forum! How on earth fabio got to the last 3 i will never know. Had a better drag time, beat him in the fitness and more than likely beat him in the duke challange. How he got to the final 3 i will never know! I mean just think about it, the grid for the final race was based on times on the bloody game! What a joke tbh!

I also think as i wider comment, being in gt academy also has showed me that to be a gt driver in a international gt championship is not that hard. If it was truly really difficult to find a gt driver they would put a lot more emphasis on finding the right driver rather than doing a tv show! To be fair to gt academy had it been at silverstone it would of been a lot better as we could of done some proper running during the day. Tbe Abu Dubai thing was just a bloody joke for TV.

Another thing which really pisses me off is that at least from previous gt academies it.looks like they have taken into account all of the challanges before deciding weather to eliminate someone, where this year it was almost a lottery. Just think, 2 people got eliminated from each country based purely on fitness alone! Bearing in mind head judge Rob Barff said he would rather take a fat guy who was fast than take an olympian who had little knack for driving a car. I do believe fitness should come into it but to make it a elimination round is really harsh in my opinion unless you are some really unfit fat person in my opinion!

I was the UK runner up who finished just behind Ben. Personally, when preparing myself I never had the money to go out and do track days so before going out to Abu Dhabi I didn't get any time on a real track except driving a AMG GT around a B road type circuit at about 50%. Apart from that I had nothing, so it shows it's not essential to get out there and spend many, many pounds or local currency of choice on pounding round a track. Although, in hindsight I wish I had pushed to find a way of getting out on circuit before going out as it would have narrowed to gap to my fellow competitors in the first run in the car, I was on a 1:20.4. However, I wasn't last and was told my second run was around the 1:18 mark later on in the week compared to the fastest guys being in the 17's. I then made it to a 17.1 in my next run in the car which again I would have been able to improve on without some silly missed gear changes, damn that gear box.

In terms of my own preparation I tried to focus on my fitness as I knew this needed to improve so I stepped up the amount of cycling I did and also started running, I noticed a drastic improvement in my stamina in the run up to race camp and if I hadn't done that I would have been in danger in the fitness challenge. A lot of people complain that people were being sent home from the fitness challenge but I knew that this challenge would have a big bearing on the competition as it always does so really trained hard that it wouldn't be me in that position. Fair play to @Growling for coming first in that.

My main piece of advice is a difficult one to do but it's important, learn how to adapt and learn quickly. Almost every challenge we did none of us had done before and we had a small amount of practise time before hand, this is where you need to learn.. fast. Test the limits of the car, I spun three times on my first practice juke run and then after that I was fine because I knew exactly what it took for the car to spin, so therefore didn't do that in the timed runs. My advice on how to do this in the game is just to jump in every car and every track you can and try to get up to speed quickly.

I was the UK runner up who finished just behind Ben. Personally, when preparing myself I never had the money to go out and do track days so before going out to Abu Dhabi I didn't get any time on a real track except driving a AMG GT around a B road type circuit at about 50%. Apart from that I had nothing, so it shows it's not essential to get out there and spend many, many pounds or local currency of choice on pounding round a track. Although, in hindsight I wish I had pushed to find a way of getting out on circuit before going out as it would have narrowed to gap to my fellow competitors in the first run in the car, I was on a 1:20.4. However, I wasn't last and was told my second run was around the 1:18 mark later on in the week compared to the fastest guys being in the 17's. I then made it to a 17.1 in my next run in the car which again I would have been able to improve on without some silly missed gear changes, damn that gear box.

In terms of my own preparation I tried to focus on my fitness as I knew this needed to improve so I stepped up the amount of cycling I did and also started running, I noticed a drastic improvement in my stamina in the run up to race camp and if I hadn't done that I would have been in danger in the fitness challenge. A lot of people complain that people were being sent home from the fitness challenge but I knew that this challenge would have a big bearing on the competition as it always does so really trained hard that it wouldn't be me in that position. Fair play to @Growling for coming first in that.

My main piece of advice is a difficult one to do but it's important, learn how to adapt and learn quickly. Almost every challenge we did none of us had done before and we had a small amount of practise time before hand, this is where you need to learn.. fast. Test the limits of the car, I spun three times on my first practice juke run and then after that I was fine because I knew exactly what it took for the car to spin, so therefore didn't do that in the timed runs. My advice on how to do this in the game is just to jump in every car and every track you can and try to get up to speed quickly.

Got to say Matt for your exp you were very good! Are you going to start karting or anything like that now mate?

Got to say Matt for your exp you were very good! Are you going to start karting or anything like that now mate?
Thanks mate! Yeah I'm definitely looking into ways at which I can race something. The bug bit me very hard when I was out there so i'm thinking and looking at ways to get into it.

Thanks mate! Yeah I'm definitely looking into ways at which I can race something. The bug bit me very hard when I was out there so i'm thinking and looking at ways to get into it.

If you want to do karting mate have a look at club 100, its by far the best in my opionion for 2 stroke hire karting

If you want to do karting mate have a look at club 100, its by far the best in my opionion for 2 stroke hire karting
Ah great cheers, i'll have a look into it! Something I forgot, in relation to the OP I did a couple of arrive and drive karting sessions as well which I think helped as it's just such a raw form of driving.

AJ
Matt Simmons (@MINT_GTR) 2015 International Champion and Pedro Martins (@eol) 2015 European Finalist took part in the GTPlanet Endurance Series this year as their main sim-racing program, With Matt quoting the Series as an influence on his success;

We use the term 'Sim-Motorsport' as we aim to replicate all aspects of the world of racing both on and off track. We run full length endurance events based upon their real world counterparts. These are team events with 2-5 drivers per car, conducting network driver changes during pit stops enabling teams with drivers all over the planet to complete together. If successful in GT Academy this is exactly the form of motorsport you will be placed in. Last year saw 188 drivers (834 entries) represent 70 teams over a 24 race season with a mix of 24, 12, 6, and 4 hour events in a mix of contemporary sports car machinery.

The Series will continue into its 3rd year in 2016. Initial details have already been announced HERE, and application forms for potential franchise holders are available by contacting me via PM with the title '2016'.

Good luck with your preparations, and I look forward to seeing many of you on track next year.

*Source - http://downforce-radio.co.uk/gt-academys-matt-simmons-im-not-naturally-amazing-at-gt/

Hey AJ, thanks for the infos ! Will definitely look forward to take part into these series ! As you might remember i took part into the karting series but i quitted after one race because i had a very tight timetable at this time :/

I now have more free time so i'll defo look forward into taking part in these series ! :D

Just been having a little read as haven't been on the forum for a while......

Not sure where to begin but here we go!!

Regarding preparation, prepare for the unexpected! And to be able to be prepared for that, you need to have prepared well! Have I mentioned prepare(d) enough??!

I was fortunate enough to qualify for Race Camp this year Via the final live event at the Trafford Centre. Until 2015 i had never played GT. I had heard of GT Academy years ago but for some reason never actually tried to qualify for it! In terms of learning the game, I researched what the trails were in previous years and just started practicing on them/or similar. I just tried getting up to speed with how the game reacts etc. I used a control pad at first, i soon realised to have any chance of qualifying id need a wheel, i went and bought and T300 RS and i have to say, its been spot on since day one!

In terms of my preparation for race camp, they are as follows. I didn't have much time to do much physical training that would alter my fitness levels before the competition because i qualified with less than 3 weeks to go! Lucky for me though i was already training 5 days a week, the only down side to that is i tend to train more on weights, core and compound exercises rather than cardio!! I tried to compensate for this by going silly over the following 2 weeks by running between 3-5 miles a day, the result, my IT band flared up in my left leg and 3 days before flying out to Abu Dhabi i could barley move my leg still, i kept up with the stretching exercises and luckily it felt much better by the time we flew out. This was a massive concern for me when we actually took part in the physical challenge because it was still very much "healing" and as the fitness stuff was early on in the comp i wanted to survive that to at least get somewhere near a race car. I paced myself, and came through in 2nd behind James/ @Growling.

In terms of my racing experience, i have a few years experience competing in Karting, it is the best way to learn the principals of race driving, some of the best talent is formed via this route. I would recommend doing a tuition day/track days with a professional instructor if you can afford it though. All i managed to get in was a half day session at Silverstone, it gave me a bit of confidence though and more importantly, peace of mind!

My advice with how to approach the competition should you qualify? As mentioned, be as well prepared as you can be, do as much karting/driving on track as you possibly can, smash it out in the gym and believe in yourself. If you believe in yourself, you will go far.

I haven't spoken much online about how i found the experience, having spoken with my fellow team mates, we all share similar views about how things should of been different and how some of the challenges just seemed utter **** and pointless. The key thing is, don't lose focus, keep your eye on the prize whilst not over pressuring it and taking each challenge as it comes.

I'll be straight up and honest with you, on some of the challenges I was very cautious, because i kept thinking, well it will be ok, they'll be plenty of time for me to fully unleash and put my cards on the table and i didn't want to over do it and mess up. The truth is, with that approach i the started to feel i hadn't done myself justice, then the pressure started building up in my head that i'd messed up! I started to think i should of just gone balls out all out from the start and showed my pace rather than playing safe and getting through each task without any dramas.

The end result was i made it to the final, and was fortunate to be given the chance to achieve my dream. My tactic of playing it safe paid off, but looking back, i could of made it a hell of a lot easier on myself if i hadn't of been as cautious. Unfortunately i didn't win the race, i made a mistake at turn one because my left hand wing mirror was not in the correct position so it was impossible for me to see Romain, i was so worried about turning in on him because we'd been warned about contact i effectively ran myself off the road, picked up loads of rubbish on my tyres and spent the next 2 laps trying to get some heat back into them and fluffed 2 gear changes in the process!

On the day though i still wasn't quick enough. i managed a 1.15.8, for some reason as mentioned by the others, the experience was a shock, and not in a good way. Sure it was amazing to be out there doing what we had worked hard to do! But the silly challenges and lack of any real track driving and instruction in the week just put me on edge the whole time and unfortunately i think i just had so much going on in my head i couldn't loosen up and let loose in the car. I am proud that i made it to the final, but frustrated i never relaxed in the process.

So my number one tip, get you mind and focus in the right place, listen to the positives you want to take on board and shut out the negatives. It's your life and if it's your dream you owe it to yourself to give it everything you have if you're going to enter, whether you make it past day 1 or get to the final is irrelevant, if you can look back at the experience at the end and truly know you gave it your all despite what they throw at you, then you can be proud.

Good Luck,
Ben

Back