GTAcademy 2016 preparation

• Thread starter KTZ
  • 52 comments
Just thought I'd share this picture of the street race course. The right lane is the side of the bridge you cross from the city. The left lane is the lane you return to the city from the desert..

From this angle it's a bit clearer why everyone who went home from that challenge was in the left lane.

Pretty upset to be honest..

image.png

Just been having a little read as haven't been on the forum for a while......

Not sure where to begin but here we go!!

Regarding preparation, prepare for the unexpected! And to be able to be prepared for that, you need to have prepared well! Have I mentioned prepare(d) enough??!

I was fortunate enough to qualify for Race Camp this year Via the final live event at the Trafford Centre. Until 2015 i had never played GT. I had heard of GT Academy years ago but for some reason never actually tried to qualify for it! In terms of learning the game, I researched what the trails were in previous years and just started practicing on them/or similar. I just tried getting up to speed with how the game reacts etc. I used a control pad at first, i soon realised to have any chance of qualifying id need a wheel, i went and bought and T300 RS and i have to say, its been spot on since day one!

In terms of my preparation for race camp, they are as follows. I didn't have much time to do much physical training that would alter my fitness levels before the competition because i qualified with less than 3 weeks to go! Lucky for me though i was already training 5 days a week, the only down side to that is i tend to train more on weights, core and compound exercises rather than cardio!! I tried to compensate for this by going silly over the following 2 weeks by running between 3-5 miles a day, the result, my IT band flared up in my left leg and 3 days before flying out to Abu Dhabi i could barley move my leg still, i kept up with the stretching exercises and luckily it felt much better by the time we flew out. This was a massive concern for me when we actually took part in the physical challenge because it was still very much "healing" and as the fitness stuff was early on in the comp i wanted to survive that to at least get somewhere near a race car. I paced myself, and came through in 2nd behind James/ @Growling.

In terms of my racing experience, i have a few years experience competing in Karting, it is the best way to learn the principals of race driving, some of the best talent is formed via this route. I would recommend doing a tuition day/track days with a professional instructor if you can afford it though. All i managed to get in was a half day session at Silverstone, it gave me a bit of confidence though and more importantly, peace of mind!

My advice with how to approach the competition should you qualify? As mentioned, be as well prepared as you can be, do as much karting/driving on track as you possibly can, smash it out in the gym and believe in yourself. If you believe in yourself, you will go far.

I haven't spoken much online about how i found the experience, having spoken with my fellow team mates, we all share similar views about how things should of been different and how some of the challenges just seemed utter **** and pointless. The key thing is, don't lose focus, keep your eye on the prize whilst not over pressuring it and taking each challenge as it comes.

I'll be straight up and honest with you, on some of the challenges I was very cautious, because i kept thinking, well it will be ok, they'll be plenty of time for me to fully unleash and put my cards on the table and i didn't want to over do it and mess up. The truth is, with that approach i the started to feel i hadn't done myself justice, then the pressure started building up in my head that i'd messed up! I started to think i should of just gone balls out all out from the start and showed my pace rather than playing safe and getting through each task without any dramas.

The end result was i made it to the final, and was fortunate to be given the chance to achieve my dream. My tactic of playing it safe paid off, but looking back, i could of made it a hell of a lot easier on myself if i hadn't of been as cautious. Unfortunately i didn't win the race, i made a mistake at turn one because my left hand wing mirror was not in the correct position so it was impossible for me to see Romain, i was so worried about turning in on him because we'd been warned about contact i effectively ran myself off the road, picked up loads of rubbish on my tyres and spent the next 2 laps trying to get some heat back into them and fluffed 2 gear changes in the process!

On the day though i still wasn't quick enough. i managed a 1.15.8, for some reason as mentioned by the others, the experience was a shock, and not in a good way. Sure it was amazing to be out there doing what we had worked hard to do! But the silly challenges and lack of any real track driving and instruction in the week just put me on edge the whole time and unfortunately i think i just had so much going on in my head i couldn't loosen up and let loose in the car. I am proud that i made it to the final, but frustrated i never relaxed in the process.

So my number one tip, get you mind and focus in the right place, listen to the positives you want to take on board and shut out the negatives. It's your life and if it's your dream you owe it to yourself to give it everything you have if you're going to enter, whether you make it past day 1 or get to the final is irrelevant, if you can look back at the experience at the end and truly know you gave it your all despite what they throw at you, then you can be proud.

Good Luck,
Ben

Well said Ben!

Just thought I'd share this picture of the street race course. The right lane is the side of the bridge you cross from the city. The left lane is the lane you return to the city from the desert..

From this angle it's a bit clearer why everyone who went home from that challenge was in the left lane.

View attachment 479228

James that is shocking. Nissan should be ashamed of themselves. Im speechless

View attachment 479228
Final nail to the coffin for me. I simply cannot take GT Academy seriously anymore. 👎

View attachment 479228
You talking about the shot on the road? Surely a street sweeper would have been handy

Yeah exactly. When the cars were running you could see the clouds of dust on the left lane, nothing on the right.

looked like the silver left lane car was an early model. The blue right lane car was new

I'm sorry to say but there's no secret tip in going fast on GT6, It just comes down to even more practice and mileage.

This is probably the best advice for anyone. When I used to do TT races in Forza 4, I would literally race sections of the same track for hours on end just to shave off MAYBE one five-hundredth of a second. In the end, it paid off because I set the second or third fastest time for that one section in particular.

I'm also preparing to try and qualify for GT Academy in 2016 - if it is running*.

I feel I am doing well in seasonal events. I recently finished just outside the top 10 in the SRT @ Willow event and I currently sit in the top 50 in the 600pp @ Willow. I feel that with a little more practice on the game, I could have a chance at qualifying.

I'm interested in running some races with others using Nissan 370Z's on SH tyres to get a feel for how the car handles on circuit and give me an insight into the car. Would anyone be up for this?

On terms of physical practice, I can get a membership at my local gym and do cardio and weights training. I have four karting places near me so I can get some seat time there.

I am definitely pumped for next year after just missing out on qualifying! :D

So, I've been absent from this sub section for a while now, but I'm back, and its good to see that race camp finalists are really telling the truth about how this years race camp went down.

When I was participating in GT academy the first time, I thought it felt pretty legit, there was some of this unfair bs going on, but not much, and everyone I spoke to felt the same way. Best man came out on top, the elimination process was always based on judges decision, and you really got the impression that they was looking for the best driver possible.

Next time out, in 2014, there was a clear difference in attitude, you sensed they was not out to find the one with most talent, but rather who would be the easiest to get into a race car.

And so, we get to the 2015 edition. And we got off to a very worrying start, as they did not allow previous national finalists. Sure, you could argue that the ones that have already been to the national finals have got their chance, but in all honesty, the ones that have been there year after year, they are there for a reason, because they are the fastest simracers on the planet, and many of them have just lost out because of some small mistake or whatever. Maybe they where not fit enough, and have been working out purposive and incessantly ever since to make sure they are ready. (I can name 10 people that fall right into that category)
And when the race camp actually started, it came out as a complete joke, as stated by @Growling , who I have been following closely as he was the only TRL driver at the 2015 race camp. Sadly, there are many others that can confirm this spectacle.

Its sad to see how GT academy has gone down the drain, and I hope they pull it back together in the future, although I'm not holding my breath.
When I started out, even qualifying into the national finals was a huge merit, this year, had I been eligible, it would have taken me less than 4 hours to set the time needed to qualify. And had I lived in the US, it would have been something like 3'rd or 4'th try... that's not really an achievement by any standards. More than that, now almost everyone is a GT academy finalist. pretty much everyone I know is a GT academy finalist, even the very slow people.

Last edited:
This year I'm really going to go for it. I am going to use all of my annual leave from work and put in the time on it. I have started preparing already. I'm not getting any younger so I'm just gonna give it everything this year. Who knows, maybe my dream will come true.

Main point of focus is your driving, sadly here in my country getting hold of a Manual car (let alone a proper Manual car)is near impossible, so I had to learn to heal and toe during the competition. I remember missing shifts left and right during the first few days of the competition as I simply didn't drive anything even close to what we drove there. I did a lot better in the final race (only one misshift :D) but it was one too many. Practice your basics gents.

I feel I am doing well in seasonal events. I recently finished just outside the top 10 in the SRT @ Willow event and I currently sit in the top 50 in the 600pp @ Willow. I feel that with a little more practice on the game, I could have a chance at qualifying.

question: wich break pedals you are using?

Maybe some confirmation that GTA will continue to run this year? :).

How do this stick to the FIA announcement? Will Nissan stay the main partner? - What do the other manufactorers say about GT Sport, the FIA announcement and the Nissan Partnership?

Hello,
I am interested in participating on 2016 gt academy. I am from Greece, what process should i follow? I noticed that my country is not listed in 2015 participants! I consider my self competitive since my time trials results from the last two seasonal events were impressive. Is there any particular process? Hope for positive news!!

What do you mean? Does this play an important role for our participation?
Nobody knows at this stage, nobody has said there wont be one this year but as gt6 is now dying and gt sport beta should be out within a month or two. The only thing that makes me think gt academy is almost over is the new FIA partnership gt sport has. Imo fia will run a similar comp to gt academy but i doubt nissan will be involved. Again just my own opinion. We will soon see what they are planning though.

Nobody knows at this stage, nobody has said there wont be one this year but as gt6 is now dying and gt sport beta should be out within a month or two. The only thing that makes me think gt academy is almost over is the new FIA partnership gt sport has. Imo fia will run a similar comp to gt academy but i doubt nissan will be involved. Again just my own opinion. We will soon see what they are planning though.
ok thank you very much

Back