GTP 2006 Movie of the Year

  • Thread starter Thread starter Vonie
  • 60 comments
  • 3,399 views
Messages
3,879
Messages
thevonsteinery
motybannervw2.jpg

Ok, I lovingly stole Silverzone's Best Album of 2006 thread idea and decided to go ahead and put together a Movie of the Year competition.​

The set up is simple; you nominate movies that were realsed within the past year and I collect them and put them in a poll. Sound good? Ok, let's work out some technicalities:
  1. For now you are only allowed to nominate 3 movies. Only three. If I feel like it I can raise this number as time goes on. I will compile all nominations in this post. Double nominations will be ignored, feel free to not re-nominate movies.
  2. The movies must have been realesed for the first time to the public between January 1, 2006 and December 31, 2006. This means that they were first shown in theaters between those dates or released for home viewing, bypassing theaters, during that time.
  3. The movies will be complied into a poll sometime in the week following New Years. The top ten from that poll will duke it out in a final poll put up a week later.
  4. Borat will not win.
Here is a list of of movies realeased throughout the year to help you get started.

Nominations:
  1. Casino Royale
  2. V For Vendetta
  3. Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan
  4. Shadowboxer
  5. The Departed
  6. Talledaga Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby
  7. Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest
  8. Little Miss Sunshine
  9. Stranger Than Fiction
  10. Clerks II
  11. Cars
  12. For Your Consideration
  13. Miami Vice
  14. Employee of the Month
  15. Children of Men
  16. Snakes on a Plane
  17. Lucky Number Slevin
  18. Thank You for Smoking
  19. The Prestige
  20. Tenacious D in The Pick Of Destiny
  21. Jackass Number Two
  22. Happy Feet
  23. United 93
  24. Apocalypto
  25. Rocky Balboa
  26. The Inside Man
  27. The Proposition
  28. Munich
 
My three nominations are King Kong, Shadowboxer and Casino Royale.

EDIT finally rememberd King Kong was this year not last :dunce: that brings my tally up to three.
 
Why the hell will Borat not win?! :grumpy:

Nominations:

Borat
The Departed
Talledaga Nights
 
Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest
 
Little Miss Sunshine

The Departed

Stranger than fiction

I know the departed was already nominated. Its just a damn good movie. I cant think of another to take its place.
 
Updated, and yes, re-nominations won't count, neither on the list nor from your 3 nominations.
 
No more nominations?

*nominates For Your Consideration*
 
It's been a pretty weak year for movies, I guess.
 
It's been a pretty weak year for movies, I guess.

I was just about to say that. Apart from 'Cars' (which is no Toy Story) i would'nt recommend any of the other nominated films. Having said that i've yet to see Borat, Bond or Bobby.
 
i agree, cars was a great film. I'm getting it on DVD for christmas
 
The three i would have nominated have already been chosen:

Casino Royale
Talladega Nights
POTC: Deads Mans Chest
 
Borat
Cars
Casino Royale
 
Im sorry but i have my own top 10 list already and in those 12 nominations i only have one (Pirates) and thats at no.10! Will i get told off if i post my best films? or shall i do it in a seperate thread.

Also am sure King Kong was released in 2005.
 
Are you sure, I remember it being January.

EDIT: No your right, it was released less than a year ago today, but it was 14th December.
 
Okay, after some searching I've got three:

- V For Vendetta (March 17): There isn't a whole lot that I can say about this movie other than how spectacular it was. As far as it being "popular," I don't think it was, and I think that it was a good thing. The story is still relevant despite the fact it was written 20 years ago, and the parallels to today's world are stunning given the era in which it was written. The acting wasn't half-bad either, and the cinematography is pretty good as well.

What it comes down to is the message, and this movie is full of them. I have to say, I still look back on it and think... There aren't many modern movies that are still able to do that...

- Miami Vice (July 26): This movie is yet another minor success that I thought deserved a bit more than it received. Those of us who loved the TV show weren't necessarily happy with everything, but I think for Michal Mann, it was a way in which he was able to re-do the show without the synth music, crazy clothing, and FCC sitting over his head. It was dark, gritty, and very realistic... A modern version of Miami Vice that was done right, IMO, and depicted a world that just isn't pleasant anymore. Catch it on DVD, I believe they just released it on Tuesday.

- Employee of the Month (October 6): If you haven't seen this movie, you are going to have to wait for the DVD. If you have, I'm sure that you would agree that it was a pretty darn good look at the world of retail. Sure, it isn't an action-packed blockbuster, or a lovely little chick-flick. It is a great date movie, I'll give it that, but I preferred it as a comedy. Simply put, Dane Cook is awesome, and having Jessica Simpson to look at isn't bad either. Maybe if you haven't worked in retail you wouldn't understand all of the jokes, but I hadn't laughed that hard in quite some time.
 
King Kong removed (thanks 555) & added YSSMAN's 3.
 
Yeah i saw King Kong on christmas eve 2005.
 
Well in that case my King Kong vote now backs up the nominations for V for Vedetta.
 
Wow no votes for Children of Men yet? I thought it was pretty decent..
 
Wow, it wasn't until I tried coming up with a few names that aren't on the list that I realized how horrid the movies were this year. The small few I would call good are already on the list.
 
Pirates of the carribean: dead mans chest ftw
 
I second Children of Men (my 4th fav film of the year). Or Lucky Number Slevin (fav).
 
The Departed.
Borat's funny but that's all it is, it's funny.
 
You know what? I forgot something:
For craps and giggles...
Snakes on a Plane.
 
Bee
Wow no votes for Children of Men yet? I thought it was pretty decent..

I don't think it was ever released here in America. They showed the trailer before The DaVinci Code, but I haven't seen much of it since.

...oops, after checking the Wiki it says it opens here in America on Christmas Day. Hmmm, they really haven't been promoting it at all...
 
The Prestige.
And the rest of mine have been nominated already.
 
Back