GTP album recommendation threadMusic 

  • Thread starter Thread starter Emohawk
  • 33 comments
  • 1,394 views
Messages
1,929
This kind of thing has come up incidently in a few other threads, I thought I'd make one specifically for this.
Here's how it works:
Somebody hears some music from some band, and wants to know what album(s) they should get by that band, and which ones suck. So they appeal to a large community of people with varied musical tastes (this one) to find the straight dope.
-When you're asking: Say what you've heard; what you liked, what you didn't. If you haven't heard anything by the band you're asking about, say what's making you interested in them, ie; bands you've heard them compared to that you like.

-When you're answering: Try to be objective. If you didn't like a specific album but a lot of other people did, give the cases of both sides. If you haven't heard a certain album enough to give a solid review feel free to quote things you've heard about it. If you think you can strongly recommend some other band based on what the last person said, go for it. Don't just come in and plug you're favorate album independant of what anyone's talking about though.

Sound good? I hope people find this usefull.

I'll start it off:
My friend gave me a bunch of CDs for xmas, among them was a handfull of Anthrax.
I've got Music of Mass Destruction, We've Come for You All, and Volume 8.
I really love We've Come for You All. It's the pinnacle of... something. It rules. Volume 8 is not as good, I still like it, but it's not as memorable. When I listen to it I don't have any of the songs stuck in my head all day.
I've been more into techno in the past, so there really aren't a lot of comperable bands/albums I can say I like. What springs to mind is: Metallica - Black Album, Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power, The Workhorse Movement - Sons of the Pioneers.
Under "CUSTOMERS WHO BOUGHT THIS ALSO BOUGHT:" CDuniverse has: Metallica - St. Anger, Iron Maiden - Dance Of Death, Halford - Crucible, and Nevermore - Enemies Of Reality.
I really hate St. Anger, haven't heard much Dance of Death but I like old Maiden, I don't really know any Halford, Nevermore is good in general, but I don't know any albums specifically.

Anthrax have a whooole lot of stuff out, what else should I get?
 
Nice idea for a thread. You should turn it into an Album Review/Request thread, and if anyone wants an album reviewed, they can come here ... unless that was the point of this thread, and I missed it altogether.

Either way, I'm more than happy to do some reviews on anything Metal on request.

EDIT: For Anthrax, I'd recommend Spreading the Disease. Thrashy album with a load of good quality Anthrax tracks on there. My personal favourite of their albums. Also contains the track "Madhouse", heard on V-Rock from GTA: Vice City.

A personal favourite Heavy Metal album of mine, and really captures some good 80's Thrash. Enjoy.
 
I recommend any Millencolin album, all their songs are great!
 
Can I review an album out of the blue? Or does it have to be an album related to someone´s request?
 
Lou Reed - Transformer
Testament - Low
Metallica - Kill Em All, And Justice for All
Van Halen - Van Halen
Blue Oyster Cult - Some Enchanted Evening
Bob Dylan - The Times they are a changin
Dandy Warhols - Thirteen Tales From Urban Bohemia
Iggy Pop and the Stooges - Raw Power
Neil Young - Neil Young Unplugged
Pantera - Cowboys from Hell
Paradise Lost - Draconian Times
Queens of the Stoneage - Songs for the Deaf
Pearl Jam - 10
Red Hot Chillipeppers - One Hot Minute
Faith No More - The Real Thing
Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
Steve Vai - Passion and Warfare
Presidents of the USA - Presidents of the USA
ACDC - Back in Black, hell make that allmost anything by ACDC :)
White Zombie - Astro Creep 2000
Slayer - Reign in blood

Theres a few off the top of my head.
 
I recommend that EVERYONE, no matter if your skin is green or your hair is purple or you have 17 heads should listen to:

QUEEN - THE VERY BEST OF, THE PLATINUM COLLECTION

Not a poor song on the whole album, except maybe 'Flash'...
 
ash6660
I recommend that EVERYONE, no matter if your skin is green or your hair is purple or you have 17 heads should listen to:

QUEEN - THE VERY BEST OF, THE PLATINUM COLLECTION

Not a poor song on the whole album, except maybe 'Flash'...
I have Queen´s Greatest Hits I, II and III. Does this Platinum Collection has any song not included on those 3 albums?

And I like the Flash Gordon song, it´s just not something to listen to all the time.
 
FatAssBR
Can I review an album out of the blue? Or does it have to be an album related to someone´s request?
The idea was that this would be a question and response thread. Isn't there already one for what you want? Random albums reviews are fine, but I was going for "what's good and what's not from ________ band?"
(will check out spreading the disease)
 
Metallica - (anything 80s-early 90s)
Green Day - Anything.
A Perfect Circle - Thirteenth Step
Sum 41 - Chuck
Muse - Absolution
Unwritten Law - Heres to the mourning (will soon have)
My Chemical Romance - Threee Cheers For Sweet Revenge
Cradle Of Filth - Nymphetamine

many many more
 
I think what Emohawk wants is for someone to request a review on an album they want, and then some people can review that album for that user.

Basically, does anyone want anything reviewed for them?
 
Here's my first of what will hopefully be many random album reviews.

Artist: Rush
Album: Moving Pictures
Year: 1981


This is hailed by many fans as Rush's greatest album, and perhaps as the best album of the 1980s. This is also regarded as one of Rush's most approachable albums, and can serve as a great introduction to the band. This approachability is clear, as the songs from the first side of the album still recieve regular radio airplay today. The second half of the album is very underrated, containing three more obscure tracks that deserve much more recognition than they gat. But be warned; they are all very heavy on the synthesizers.

Overall, the album is extremely strong in all aspects; Neil Peart's songwriting is top notch, the musicians as a group and as individuals are firing on all cylinders, and Geddy Lee finally reined in his vocals, which bordered on screeching at times on earlier albums. A highly recommended listen to any fan of rock music.

Rating: 9.5/10

Tracks
1) Tom Sawyer
2) Red Barchetta
3) YYZ
4) Limelight
5) The Camera Eye
6) Witch Hunt
7) Vital Signs

Other recommended Rush albums: Rush, 2112, A Farewell To Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Feedback, Rush In Rio (Live)
 
I've been thining about getting some more rock cds like some Iron Madien, Van Halen, Zepplin, and others like that, but don't know what cds I should get. I have a live Madien cd that I really like "A Real Dead One.

I'm asking because most of my cds are punk or ska and trying to listen to other stuff. I'm really in to songs with good head banging beats and cool solos. "Hollwed be Thy Name" is probably my favorite song.

I have two Judas Preist cds too. Turbo Lover one isn't really good, but "Killing Machine" is pretty good.

Let's just say I'm looking for "rockin' " cds.
 
Here's a couple for you, Mr. McShake:

Motorhead - Ace of Spades.
Probably my favourite of the Motorhead albums of what I've heard. Ace of Spades, the title track, is quite a good song mixing Speed Metal with some good ol' Heavy Metal. The album continues this trend throughout. Seeing as though you like Judas Priest, I'd recommend this as they are probably a slower, more rockin' style of Judas.

AC/DC - Back in Black.
This is by far AC/DC's best album, and since you said you were looking for a good rock CD to listen to, this one is a good choice. AC/DC are simple, but very effective. They usually use the slow simple drum beat, combined with very catchy riffs from Angus, and even though it's not Bon Scott singing, I personally think Brian Johnson is almost as good as Scott, and he's very over-looked. A must-have for any Rock fan.
 
I concur Jimmy, I can see a few better AC/DC CD's.

If you like metal...you know, if you want to, I reccomend Judas Priest. Besides Black Sabbath, J.P. is one of the gods of Metal. 👍
 
Here's my review of Shadows Fall - The War Within, the most recent album by the aforementioned band.

Track List:
1. The Light That Blinds- Very interesting intro that sounds like something from Metallica that shifts into some heavy, somewhat death metal sounding guitars; fairly catchy chorus.
2. Enlightened By The Cold- Agressive vocals switch to higher pitched singing, I don't really like how it is done in this song, one of my least favorites on the album.
3. Act Of Contrition- Similar transition of scream to soft vocals as in the above song, but I like it better in this one.
4. What Drives The Weak- Best song on the album IMO, isn't as heavy guitar laden as other songs, soft singing sounds much better done on this song than anywhere else on the album, catchy chorus. This is probably the most accessible song on the album, and I've even heard it on a local radio station.
5. Stilness- Second favorite song on the album, great guitar and drum work which seems to fit the aggressive vocals.
6. Inspiration On Demand- I really think the soft vocals are done well in this song, it really flows with the song. More metallica guitars in the soft moments.
7. The Power Of I And I- Fourth good song in a row rounds off the middle part of the album quite well. Great guitar solo.
8. Ghosts Of Past Failures- Don't like the guitars as much in this song, it just doesnt have the energy of some others. You can hear some death metal in the vocals here, has a catchy chorus.
9. Eternity Within- At this point the album began to sound a bit similar to everything else before it, nothing special.
10.Those Who Cannot Speak Guitars straight from Fade To Black, but done very well, love the guitars, but beyond that nothing special.

Overall: 8.7/10
This album has a lot of variety in the guitar area, and really helps many of the songs. It did seem to get a bit repetitive for me after a while though, and the soft/loud transistion and placement in some songs didn't fit. There are some solid songs on this album that do make it a worthwhile listen, so I'd recommend this to anyone who loves metal.
 
Jimmy Enslashay
Here's a couple for you, Mr. McShake:

Motorhead - Ace of Spades.
Probably my favourite of the Motorhead albums of what I've heard. Ace of Spades, the title track, is quite a good song mixing Speed Metal with some good ol' Heavy Metal. The album continues this trend throughout. Seeing as though you like Judas Priest, I'd recommend this as they are probably a slower, more rockin' style of Judas.

AC/DC - Back in Black.
This is by far AC/DC's best album, and since you said you were looking for a good rock CD to listen to, this one is a good choice. AC/DC are simple, but very effective. They usually use the slow simple drum beat, combined with very catchy riffs from Angus, and even though it's not Bon Scott singing, I personally think Brian Johnson is almost as good as Scott, and he's very over-looked. A must-have for any Rock fan.

I have the AC/DC album and I really love that. "Hell's Bells" opening riff is so awesome, but I'll look into Motorhead. Thanks.
 
Metallica - any album but ...and justice for all 👍 👍
Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss
Fear Factory - Descent
Fear Factory - Digimortal
Millencolin - Pennybridge Pioneers
 
Slayer - Reign In Blood
First, everyone should get this album. The best thrash album so far, every song is worth hearing especially "Angel of Death", "Altar of Sacrifice", and "Raining Blood". From begining to end, this album will make you headbang, and you'll feel like smashing everything in sight, and pounding your fist at the walls and windows.

Slayer - Hell Awaits
Another kick ass album. Especially the intro to Hell Awaits, where some "demon"-style voices are saying backwards "Join Us" then another demonic-voice says "Welcome Back", from there is about 2 1/2 minutes of music. Like with "Reing IN Blood", this album will want to make you break stuff. Can't think of any other way to describe the album.
 
Bocha
Metallica - any album but ...and justice for all 👍 👍
Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss
Fear Factory - Descent
Fear Factory - Digimortal
Millencolin - Pennybridge Pioneers

If you're gonna request Millencolin cds you should request:
Same Old Tunes and Life on a Plates IMO those are the best ones.
They're faster and more upbeat.
 
Mr. McShake
If you're gonna request Millencolin cds you should request:
Same Old Tunes and Life on a Plates IMO those are the best ones.
They're faster and more upbeat.
Thanks a lot, i listen only a few songs from past albums like: Twenty two, Lozin' Most and a few more.
 
Ok guys. I need some suggestions.
I like rock songs like slipknot - duality, anyone knows if there is any good albums or songs that are similar to the song?
 
Cosmic
Ok guys. I need some suggestions.
I like rock songs like slipknot - duality, anyone knows if there is any good albums or songs that are similar to the song?
First of all, you must be a Nu Metal fan, so I'll give you a list of some Nu Metal bands, and a few others from different genres, to check out, and since I don't listen to Nu Metal, or any of these bands, I can't really recommend any albums. Someone else may, if they wish.

Deftones.
Chimaira.
Ill Nino.
Killswitch Engage.
Coal Chamber.
Soil.

Try some of those. You might even like Korn, too. :yuck:
 
Jimmy Enslashay
First of all, you must be a Nu Metal fan, so I'll give you a list of some Nu Metal bands, and a few others from different genres, to check out, and since I don't listen to Nu Metal, or any of these bands, I can't really recommend any albums. Someone else may, if they wish.

Deftones.
Chimaira.
Ill Nino.
Killswitch Engage.
Coal Chamber.
Soil.

Try some of those. You might even like Korn, too. :yuck:

This here is exactly what I had in mind. Someone wants to listen to some new music of a certain type, and someone else recommends something based on that discription. 👍
 
Jimmy Enslashay
First of all, you must be a Nu Metal fan, so I'll give you a list of some Nu Metal bands, and a few others from different genres, to check out, and since I don't listen to Nu Metal, or any of these bands, I can't really recommend any albums. Someone else may, if they wish.

Deftones.
Chimaira.
Ill Nino.
Killswitch Engage.
Coal Chamber.
Soil.

Try some of those. You might even like Korn, too. :yuck:
Thanks, I'll download some songs from them now :p
Nu Metal?
 
Bocha
For me IS the best, thumbs means ok.
Thumbs do mean okay, the problem was in your sentence. You said: "any album but And Justice For All", which means "any album, just not And Justice For All".
 
Cosmic
Thanks, I'll download some songs from them now :p
Nu Metal?
Nu Metal is a new form of metal - duh? :p

From what I can gather, nu metal is more so about mixing other styles with metal instead of just the standard balls out heavy aggressive metal. A lot of metal heads don't seem to like the genre as it's considerably weaker and due to the amount of mainstream success it gets, is apparently taking metal in the wrong direction...

Oh, and you'd probably like Mushroomhead. Check out their XIII album. 👍
 
For Killswitch, The End Of Heartache. And for Korn, Greatest Hits Vol. 1. really awesome album.
 
Back