1622-present Bottled Water

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Antarctica
Controls set for heart of sun
GTP_RogerTheHors
Nominated by @NoobMan DS

Bottled Water
(clean H2O packaged in transparent containers that look almost cylindrical, sold commercially to the public for drinking purposes)

bottled-water-contains-bpa.jpg

Common packaging material: Plastic or glass

Bottling water began in: the United Kingdom

Brief history (taken from Wikipedia article)
Bottling water began in the United Kingdom with the first water bottling at the Holy Well in 1622. The demand for bottled water was fueled in large part by the resurgence in spa-going and water therapy among Europeans and American colonists in the 17th and 18th centuries. The first commercially distributed water in America was bottled and sold by Jackson’s Spa in Boston in 1767. Early drinkers of bottled spa waters believed that the water at these mineral springs had therapeutic properties and that bathing in or drinking the water could help treat many common ailments.

The popularity of bottled mineral waters quickly led to a market for imitation products. Carbonated waters developed as means for approximating the natural effervescence of spring-bottled water, and in 1809 Joseph Hawkins was issued the first U.S. patent for “imitation” mineral water. As technological innovation in nineteenth century lowered the cost of making glass and improved production speed for bottling, bottled water was able to be produced on a larger scale and the beverage grew in popularity. Bottled water was seen by many as a safer alternative to 19th century municipal water supplies that could be contaminated with pathogens like cholera and typhoid. By the middle of the century, one of America’s most popular bottlers, Saratoga Springs, was producing more than 7 million bottles of water annually.

In the United States, the popularity of bottled water declined in the early 20th century, when the advent of water chlorination reduced public concerns about water-borne diseases in municipal water supplies. However, it remained popular in Europe, where it spread to cafes and grocery stores in the second half of the century. In 1977, Perrier launched a successful advertisement campaign in the United States, heralding a rebirth in popularity for bottled water. Today, bottled water is the second most popular commercial beverage in the United States, with about half the domestic consumption as soft drinks.

NOTE
What is nominated in mind is the whole thing that makes bottled water - the package and the content are regarded as a singular thing. This is not nominating water itself.

Overpriced, and usually soft water. DAMMIT, I COME FROM A HARD WATER AREA AND IT TASTES SO MUCH BETTER.

SU

The perfect companion for travelling around a city in the midst of summer and the temperatures are 30 degrees plus.

Cool.

Meh.

I can get perfectly fine tap water for free (and yes my tap water is actually pretty good).

Being a parent in a country where you can get sick from the water in some places, (I've had hepatitis, upset stomachs, diarrhea... and mosquito wrigglers coming out of the municipal tap) this is a god-send.

It's still not all that cool.

Basic human requirement packaged in unenvironmentally friendly container sold for way too much money in order to keep corporations profitable and irritating people at the gym hydrated.. Sub-Zero...

... no wait, what's that other thing, the opposite of that?

I rely on bottled water but there is nothing about it which is cool.

Meh at best.

Hate paying for stuff that falls from the sky, also my free filtered tap water tastes just as good, so uncool.

If I'm out of the house, my CF'er is sweating to death and I have nothing else for him to drink, it's absolutely SZ. Any other time, there's no way I'm paying for water.

Averages out to meh.

Plastic bottles fall from the sky?

Lol. Was just a general statement, referring to what the bottles contain. I just find it funny a liter of bottled water cost more than a litre of gasoline when water literally falls from the sky.

I do see your point of the plastic bottles and that expense, but for some folks like myself it's just pointless to buy it

Very useful during sports and classes. For sure SZ, but you have to get the right brands. None of that Dasani or Aquafina stuff. If you get the right stuff(Fiji, Smartwater, whatever Nestle sells their water under) then its SZ for sure

Last edited:
More a necessity than cool, so 'meh'. But then again, it does stop you crapping yourself in certain countries, so back up to 'cool'.

BTW, I had no idea there were clear plastic bottles in 1622. Boy, this place is an education in itself! :P

Lol. Was just a general statement, referring to what the bottles contain. I just find it funny a liter of bottled water cost more than a litre of gasoline when water literally falls from the sky.

I do see your point of the plastic bottles and that expense, but for some folks like myself it's just pointless to buy it

Don't buy them in the small bottles. Here, we get five gallon canisters for half-a-dollar (bring your own bottle).

Necessity. The government keeps telling us the tap water is safe to drink. Yeah... as long as it doesn't come from the municipal supply. We had a hepatitis outbreak at my old neighborhood when the suction pressure of the water pipes pulled raw sewage out of a local hospital's septic tank. :D

-

Out in the provinces, as long as you're not in a heavily populated area, you're safe with drinking deep well water. Here at my current place, they did a survey of the deep wells in our neighborhood. Most were positive for E.Coli, some for amoeba. So it's either spend a crapload on boiling our water, or simply pay a pittance for drinking water from a dedicated service.

That Nestle guy drew a lot of ire for saying "water is a commodity", but it's damn true. When we do project studies to provide drinking water systems (for free) for communities, we need to build in a measure of profitability (they have to sell the water) in order to maintain the systems properly.

In deepfreeze = subzero

Refrigerated = cool

Room temperature = uncool

In the summer at midday = Seriously uncool

It keeps you alive and only tastes incredible when it's ice cold and it's 30 odd degrees outside and you're desperate for a beverage.

Hate bottled water, it always tastes of plastic or chemicals and they do all sorts of stuff to it like adding crap (re-mineralised) and carrying out reverse osmosis. Not to mention the terrible waste of plastic. Uncool.

Remember Dasani?, Coke's attempt at posh water... turned out to be London tap water 're-engineered' and sold with the tag line 'Bottled Spunk' :lol:

I use a Brita, really nice taste. If I need a drink out and about I would rather get juice or a fizzy drink. I guess we are lucky though, UK water is extremely clean.

Last edited:
Everybody keeps talking about plastic bottles... Don't you get the sparkling mineral water in glass bottles? Those bottles can be reused over and over, so it's not as bad on the environment - and it tastes a lot better than drinking from plastic bottles.

/edit: I do drink tap water, mostly, to be honest. Quality's great in Germany, so I don't mind, most of the time.

Sub-Zero in very warm days. Seriously Uncool the rest of the year, when people would rather buy water than drink it from taps.

Back