Designed: 1946-1948
Designer: Mikhail Kalashnikov
Manufacturer: Izmash and various others including Norinco
Rate of fire: Cyclic 600 rounds/min,practical
40 rounds/min semi-automatic
100 rounds/min fully automatic
Effective firing range: 400 metres (440 yd) semi-auto
300 metres (330 yd) full auto

Except for the SR-71 because it's the definition of coolness, I've been voting war hardwear SU because war is not cool. Yet the AK-47, although used by terrorists (even CS has that right), it's such a lovely piece of engineering. It can do anything, work everywhere no matter what and it was somehow revolucionary. For these two reasons I'm voting cool.

Not sure where to put this.

In 1949 it was an amazing cutting edge gun. Even now it is cheap and easy to maintain and fix. The problem is it is utter rubbish compared to modern rifles.

Finally decided uncool because it's performance is utter garbage compared to modern rifles. It has what I call Zero syndrome to it. The Japanese Zero/Reisen was a great plane for it's time but they kept using it for too long when it had become outdated. Same with this.

Guns or weapons... for self defense or not... are still and will always be seriously uncool...

We spend a lot of effort doing what we shouldnt...

We should spend our energy:
Learn to love one another...

Or just ignore them and try not to distupt others...

Taking the first step and saying Sorry goes a long way...

Call me hippies or hipster or flower power... i would rather be gun free...

If my family is in danger, i will just call Liam Nelson..

Oh boy... i am about to make new friends with people from the Real Guns thread...

Last edited:
Finally decided uncool because it's performance is utter garbage compared to modern rifles. It has what I call Zero syndrome to it. The Japanese Zero/Reisen was a great plane for it's time but they kept using it for too long when it had become outdated. Same with this.

That doesn't make sense at all.
This gun is the VW Beetle of the gun world, it just keeps going.
Reliability and cost are key for a weapon like this and it's one of the most reliable automatic weapons in the world.

Rather cool due to it's simplicity from an engineering perspective. Still not enough to bring it from being seriously extremely uncool because weapon.

So many militarists in The Rumble Strip :D
I have lots of ideas for nomination on the Alternative Cool Wall, but ALL of them are military, too :lol:

On the topic: Sub Zero. Simple, cheap, easy to handle, but effective. Created by soldier for soldiers.
I have fired one (AK-74M - the "black AK") and field-striped it in school.

The AK with wooden parts may be a weapon of terrorists/gangsters/whoever else.
But the black AK is a weapon of Polite People. :cool:
%D1%80%D0%B8%D1%81-34-%D0%BC%D0%BC%D0%B3-%D0%B0%D0%BA-74.png

0_c0270_d1e4d2e1_orig

I think I can argue about this. Guns are things that get old slowly, because today it's pretty hard to invent something new there. The US keep using the M16 which is over 50 years old, too, because it still satisfies the army and doesn't need any replacement yet. And the ancient Colt M1911 was used since the WWI until 1985 (and is still used by some special forces). Genial creations don't get old.

The AK-74M is not seriously outdated, too (you would change your opinion about it being "garbage" if you was shot in the leg with one :D). However, the Russian Defence Ministry is planning to replace with the new AK-12 or the A-545 (the revised version of the AEK-971) - the tests will tell which one is better.

@CTznOfTime
Remember, you can sleep peacefully at night because you are protected by those harsh men in camouflage, carrying guns and defending your peace. Pay respect to them. ;)
There's an ancient Roman saying: "If you want peace, be ready for war".

I respect the task and risks of soldiers, no doubt.
But it is the rogues and mercenaries who are walking the fine lines... but they also somehow play a role in peace keeping...

Anyways.. i concede that this topic isnt as simple as i might make it sound...

Another analogy is:

I love eating steak... but i dont think i am ready to kill a cow for it... there are people for that job and i am glad they are doing what they are doing...

It's the Honda Civic of assault rifles. Everyone has one and they usually do not so cool things with them.

Seriously Uncool.

Last edited:
The "weapon=SU" argument is starting to annoy me more than the "racecar=SU" argument.

The AK-47 is easily the greatest firearm ever built, and it looks good too. It's cheap, durable, and reliable, and comes in a variety of shapes and sizes.

Sub-Zero. The coolest gun.

Unlike most Americans, I think the AK family of guns is far better than the M16 family.

The "weapon=SU" argument is starting to annoy me more than the "racecar=SU" argument.

Why? Could you please explain how you get annoyed by the fact that people find something which was designed with the express purpose of being really good at killing people is seriously uncool?

Why? Could you please explain how you get annoyed by the fact that people find something which was designed with the express purpose of being really good at killing people is seriously uncool?
I mean you gotta take into consideration the engineering and history behind it. Like Bopop said, it's the VW of the rifles, it's iconic, one of the most well known silhouettes out there. Not to mention it looks badass as well.

SZ

I do. Doesn't stop it from being a device solely designed to be highly effective at killing lots of people very quickly.

One of the most important firearms of the modern era. Very sturdy and well-built. Still, firearms aren't something I'm fond of. Give me a tank over a gun any day of the week.

Meh.

Black/synthetic AKs would be less cool in my opinion. It just screams "military" to me. Wood is a bit more fancier in my opinion, but that's as cool as this will get.

So many militarists in The Rumble Strip :D
I have lots of ideas for nomination on the Alternative Cool Wall, but ALL of them are military, too :lol:

On the topic: Sub Zero. Simple, cheap, easy to handle, but effective. Created by soldier for soldiers.
I have fired one (AK-74M - the "black AK") and field-striped it in school.

%D1%80%D0%B8%D1%81-34-%D0%BC%D0%BC%D0%B3-%D0%B0%D0%BA-74.png

0_c0270_d1e4d2e1_orig

I think I can argue about this. Guns are things that get old slowly, because today it's pretty hard to invent something new there. The US keep using the M16 which is over 50 years old, too, because it still satisfies the army and doesn't need any replacement yet. And the ancient Colt M1911 was used since the WWI until 1985 (and is still used by some special forces). Genial creations don't get old.

The AK-74M is not seriously outdated, too (you would change your opinion about it being "garbage" if you was shot in the leg with one :D). However, the Russian Defence Ministry is planning to replace with the new AK-12 or the A-545 (the revised version of the AEK-971) - the tests will tell which one is better.
The AK74 is updated yes and better. The Colt M1911 is a gun I hold in very high regard because of it being so good for the time it was made.
Yes the US keeps using the M16 but isn't it updated? Some designs can be better just by being updated for example the B52 bomber. Although newer weapons such as the FN SCAR seem to perform better don't they? (Being from a country where guns are illegal I only have a basic knowledge of guns but still from what I have seen the AK47 is starting to look a bit old.)

That doesn't make sense at all.
This gun is the VW Beetle of the gun world, it just keeps going.
Reliability and cost are key for a weapon like this and it's one of the most reliable automatic weapons in the world.
True. But when you are shot back at you want some performance. Otherwise we would still be using bolt action rifles on the front line.

True. But when you are shot back at you want some performance. Otherwise we would still be using bolt action rifles on the front line.

Bolt action rifles have incredible range and reliability, they've been used in the middle east for the last 30 years for that reason.

I'm not saying that an AK is a better gun compared to a new assault rifle, but when you compare the reliability and availability it makes more sense to equip your force with the older weapon.

Lee Enfield FTW.

I think the VW Bug comparison was dead on. 👍
Guns or weapons... for self defense or not... are still and will always be seriously uncool...

We spend a lot of effort doing what we shouldnt...

We should spend our energy:
Learn to love one another...

Or just ignore them and try not to distupt others...

Taking the first step and saying Sorry goes a long way...

If my family is in danger, i will just call Liam Nelson..

Oh boy... i am about to make new friends with people from the Real Guns thread...
I'm a poster in the "Real Guns" thread, and I absolutely respect the rights of the gun haters. I don't understand it, but I also respect the view in these polls saying that any guns, weapons, etc. are "uncool". In the real world, people have unique perspectives on different topics & issues. Those people who disagrees with you, can you see where they are coming from? To me, that's what it's all about. Agree to disagree, learn to get along.

I had to chime in, because I'm the type of person who do actually put much effort into treating others with respect, and needed sensitivity in real life. Also big believer in apologies, "forgive & forget". While you do seem to have much more faith in humanity that I do, I really didn't want it to be implied that: gun owners = less peaceful

It did feel bit like being stereotyped. When I think of threat to our peace, it's the one who texts while driving, or after drinking. People who bullies. People who look to gain by taking advantage of the weak(criminals, also many politicians & businessmen). Etc. That's just me. :dopey:

It would be a shame to lose a fun sport/activity. Banning guns isn't a requirement for peace.

One part might be that being good at something doesn't imply it is meant to do that something. It's a bit unfair that guns get looked down on because people don't want to look beyond very specific situations. Guns are used to kill, like a variety of other things. Guns are used to save lives, like a variety of other things. Guns are used for fun, like a variety of other things. The intent behind them is an entirely different story, and with guns, it's more than just someone wanting to kill someone else. It can be the exact opposite.

Take away advanced weapons and it becomes very simple for someone else to overpower you. They just need to pick up a rock, or maybe just use their own fists. A modern military makes the price of war much higher, and thus less attractive. It's not because anyone has died, but because of the threat of force. One common reply to that idea in the M60 thread was that it's not preferable to live in a world where that's necessary. That's not the weapon's fault. Also, weapons are making it less necessary to deal with the negative consequences of living in a less than perfect world. Threats are natural, this is why weaponry was invented. Weapons did not create threats. There is a downside in that threats can use weapons as well, but they're always going to exist. The best strategy to over come them is ever advancing technology.

Back