GTP Alternative Cool Wall:1998-2008 European Organisation for Nuclear Research Large Hadron Collider

1998-2008 European Organisation for Nuclear Research Large Hadron Collider

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Antarctica
Controls set for heart of sun
GTP_RogerTheHors
Nominated by @Furinkazen

Large Hadron Collider (CERN)

cern-aerial2.jpg

15cern.xlarge1.jpg

Built:
1998-2008
Purpose: To destroy particles and understand the universe
Size: 27km of tunnels.

More Info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Collider

I'm going to give it an uncool, it's purpose is to understand the universe which isn't exactly cool.

Everything about this machine inspires awe in me. The fact that we can blast individual particles up to within a fraction of the speed of light and then detect the trails left by their remnants within the tiny period of time they exist after collision is incredible, so much so that it actually managed to get the generally ignorant public to sit up and take notice of theoretical physics for once.

Also, they were nice enough to name part of it after me, apparently.

actually managed to get the generally ignorant public to sit up and take notice of theoretical physics for once.

The media scaremongering it resulted in back in 2008 is what got a lot of people's attention. Which I also found hilarious.

How anyone can say this is not cool I don't know. It's technical for sure. But 1: The feat of constructing a tunnel 27 kilometres in diameter underground, all the engineering going into building it, and the fact it is for helping us understand the universe and it's origins. How can you not like??

Yeah, it sounds cool, but it took MASSIVE amounts of money to build this thing. And it might explode. And it's scientific, but it doesn't involve space. Seriously Uncool.

Yeah, it probably won't actually explode but the fact that a lot of people think it will makes it uncool.

Simple explanation: It fires hadrons (composite particles made of quarks which are held together by the strong force) at each other at nearly the speed of light, and then detects the remnants of the collisions and looks for anything interesting, like new particles or forces of natures.

It's purpose is to understand the universe which isn't exactly cool.

So ignorance is cool? :confused:

Sub Zero, cause of reasons stated above and because it does some amazing things and is one of the most intriguing things built. Not the most amazing but one of them.

I also don't see how science can't be cool, it seems people that don't want to understand it, never were good at it, or just didn't like the kids in science give this an uncool.

Supercolliders are cool.

They'd probably be Sub-Zero, but I think the noises created wouldn't match the imagined sounds my mind thinks they make when subatomic particles collide at unimaginable speeds, along with the start-up power and the glorious aftermath of the whole thing.

I must tour one of these some day...I wonder if the one outside Chicago gives tours?

I will always respect this kind of massive constructions that need a lot of scientists and engineers to make it true

Sub-Zero

Back