GTP Alternative Cool Wall Nomination Request Thread (Read OP) [NOMINATIONS CLOSED, see pages 10-11]

To nominate something cool, or to nominate something silly. My choice. Gah, I seriously don't know. :banghead:
Both. :mischievous:

In that case my nomination is

THE M60

View attachment 198307

Produced/In Service: 1957 - Present day (although it's being phased out by the M240)
Place of Origin: USA
First saw action in: Vietnam War
Caliber: 7.62mm
Rate of Fire: 500-650 Rounds per Minute
Unit Cost: $6,000
No love for the BAR?

Emperor Penguin

Emperor_Penguin_Manchot_empereur.jpg

Height: 48in (122cm)
Lives in: Antartica
Horsepower: 1 Penguinpower
Special Abilities: It can swim pretty fast I guess

I nominate something I'm sure will cause some broken friendships from debate - the bicycle, as a vehicle and no particular type.

bicycle.jpg

These voting threads need to appear more quickly, the demand is outstripping supply quite a lot now.

@W3HS, that nomination is too unspecific, please be more... err... Specific.

@Jimlaad43, if I made a new thread as every nomination appeared nobody would bother voting on the polls. One poll a day is quite a quick rate already.

AK-47
ak47_1.jpg

Type of gun: Assualt rifle
Place of origin: Soviet Union
In service: 1949-Present
1949-1980s (USSR)
Designed: 1946-1948
Manufacturer: Izmash and various others including Norinco
Rate of fire: Cyclic 600 rounds/min,practical
40 rounds/min semi-automatic
100 rounds/min fully automatic
Effective firing range: 400 metres (440 yd) semi-auto
300 metres (330 yd) full auto

Fun Fact: Gangster rapper Ice Cube had one of these back in '92. When he rapped about having a good day, not having to use his AK was one of the things that made him happy that day.

AK-47
ak47_1.jpg

Type of gun: Assualt rifle
Place of origin: Soviet Union
In service: 1949-Present
1949-1980s (USSR)
Designed: 1946-1948
Manufacturer: Izmash and various others including Norinco
Rate of fire: Cyclic 600 rounds/min,practical
40 rounds/min semi-automatic
100 rounds/min fully automatic
Effective firing range: 400 metres (440 yd) semi-auto
300 metres (330 yd) full auto

Fun Fact: Gangster rapper Ice Cube had one of these back in '92. When he rapped about having a good day, not having to use his AK was one of the things that made him happy that day.

SU because commie :P :lol:

Leonardo Da Vinci
leonardo-da-vinci-self-portrait.jpg

April 15, 1452-May 2, 1519 (source: Wikipedia)
Most famous for the Gioconda, is also known for his anatomic studies on bodies he stole out of cemeteries, drawings in religious buildings and inventions such as
a friggin tank
Leonardo_tank.JPG

a flying apparatus
luftfahrt-geschichte-025-leonardo-da-vinci-zeichnung-flugmaschine-gleitfluegel.jpg

and a robotic lion.
hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, this seems like a good idea now. I take back what I said before.

I'll start off with the coolest person to ever live.

1930-1980 Steve McQueen

Steve-Mcqueen.jpg

Nickname: King of Cool
Born: March 24, 1930, Beech Grove, Indiana
Died: November 7, 1980, Ciudad Juarez, Mexico (Malignant Mesothelioma)
Occupation: U.S. Marine, Actor, Motorcycle and Racecar Enthusiast.
Known for: Performing own stunts in movies

Leonardo Da Vinci
leonardo-da-vinci-self-portrait.jpg

April 15, 1452-May 2, 1519 (source: Wikipedia)
Most famous for the Gioconda, is also known for his anatomic studies on bodies he stole out of cemeteries, drawings in religious buildings and inventions such as
a friggin tank
Leonardo_tank.JPG

a flying apparatus
luftfahrt-geschichte-025-leonardo-da-vinci-zeichnung-flugmaschine-gleitfluegel.jpg

and a robotic lion.
hqdefault.jpg

And a chopper, a calculator, a multi-barrel cannon among others

Please, save discussion of the nominations for the poll threads themselves.

Also, the rumble strip is kind of filling up with these threads, so I'm going to back down to posting every other day.

* Nominations, rules suggestions, and other directly connected discussion only here. Save debates for the polls. Do not discuss nominations in this thread.

Every time you post a comment about another nomination it just creates more and more pages for me to load when I want to add stuff to the OP. Please, don't.

boombox_pc_3-thumb1.jpg

Portable radio and cassette tape player aka Boombox, Ghettoblaster...

Usage: providing an audio backdrop for outdoor activities such as sports games, fishing weekends, hangin' wit da homies, beach trip or sitting in the garden on a warm day with BBQ and a few cold ones.

Pros: Take your Off The Wall or Bon Jovi albums anywhere and get on down with friends.

Cons: How about the 8 power bricks you needed to run the thing? Or that it was the size of a briefcase?

Another pro: It can be as loud as you need it to be.

Another con: It'll piss off the neighbors, and then the po-po come and tell you to turn it off.

@W3HS I'm going to assume that you're only going to be nominating the metal suitcase type design that was popular during the 1980s, without including later plastic ghettoblasters which generally included CD players as well (or in some cases in place of) cassette decks. Including those would make the nomination too inspecific.

You are correct to assume that. The type I mean were sturdy metal box constructions with tape (sometimes double) cassette slots on the front and a radio tuner. Old school style.

Among other polls of military equipment, I think this would be a good one.

Grumman F-14 Tomcat

f14_tomcat.jpg

Production: 1969–1991
Role: Interceptor, air superiority and multirole combat aircraft
Engines: 2x General Electric F110-GE-400 afterburning turbofans (F-14D)
Dry Thrust -- 13,810lb.f (61.4kN) each
Afterburner -- 27,800lb.f (123.7kN) each​
Top Speed: Mach 2.34 (1,544mph, 2,485km/h) at high altitude
"Curb Weight": 43,735lbs. (19,838kg)
Maximum Range: 1,600 nautical miles (1,840mi., 2,960km)
Service Ceiling: 50,000+ft. (15,200m)
Retired: 22 September 2006 (United States Navy)
Unit cost: $38 million USD (1998)

Just to apologise if I post erratically for the next couple of weeks. Currently my plans are defined mostly by the weather.

*Musical artists or works may not be nominated. They receive representation from the GTP Music Cool Wall. (Although admittedly this has been on extended hiatus)
*Musical instruments ARE valid nominations, however.
* Living people may not be nominated.

Unfortunately it took me a couple of days to get these rules sorted out properly, so there are a couple of anomalies earlier on.

Back