GTP Cool Wall: 1936-1940 Mercedes-Benz 540K (type W24)

• Thread starter Jahgee
  • 79 comments

1936-1940 Mercedes-Benz 540K (type W24)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jahgee

(Banned)
United States
New York
Jahgee1124
1936-1940 Mercedes-Benz 540K (type W24) nominated by @Rage Racer
Mercedes_540K_side_20020707.jpg

Production: 1935-1940
Style: 2 seat cabriolet, 4 seat coupé, 7 seat limousine
Engine: 5.4L Straight 8
Transmission: 4 speed/5 speed manual
Layout: Front Engine, Rear Wheel Drive
Power Output: 115 HP (180 HP if manual supercharger was engaged)

An old Merc is always cool, this is a car you really don't have to think about.

ZOMG TEH NAZIS! Seriously uncool

An engineering wonder of its era. And looks just beautiful. Sub Zero.

I first saw it in person in the Autoville museum in Moscow and fell in love.
VtzvpaQthj0.jpg

These cars have a great trick up their sleeve. You can drive around with just a burbling exhaust, or you can floor it to engage the supercharger and it will howl like madness. Great cars. 👍

Cool.

And if my memory serves me correct, the one displayed in the OP is a Spezial Roadster.

I'm going with uncool, it looks too ostentatious for my liking. If I saw one at a show it would certainly deserve a second look, but I think you'd look like an utter berk driving about in one.

For one reason or another, I simply can't pinpoint what I think about this thing.

I don't know much about this car either. So I based my cool vote off of looks as well. I just couldn't vote sub-zero because it's a rich persons collecters item. It was the same when it was new, and it's the same now. The people that own it are rich asses trying to show their class. It just has that aire even in the looks. It's cool, but the sterotype of the owners keeps it from being sub zero.

Designed by Hitler, seriously uncool.

Seriously though, I know the car itself isn't evil, but to me, Nazism has a stench that no amount of class can cover. I'd still regard this car as Seriously Uncool on principle.

That was a deliberate exaggeration, though I wouldn't be surprised if Hitler or someone in his organizaion turned out to have instigated the whole thing.

Holy cow, that's an unflattering color scheme. Like it had a starring role in the never-produced film, Göring's Big Adventure. Let's see...

1937Mercedes-Benz_01_700.jpg

Much better. Pre-WWII cars are pretty much Cool by default. And as if it needed to be said, car manufacturers don't lead armies.

Holy cow, that's an unflattering color scheme. Like it had a starring role in the never-produced film, Göring's Big Adventure. Let's see...

View attachment 193021

Much better. Pre-WWII cars are pretty much Cool by default. And as if it needed to be said, car manufacturers don't lead armies.

That's the normal Roadster. You can spot the difference in the windshield. Split window is a Spezial.

@Dennisch -- I did notice that, and I looked for another Spezial but I couldn't find any photo except the Wikipedia one in the OP. The poll is for all 540K models anyway (see "Style").

Designed by Hitler, seriously uncool.

Seriously though, I know the car itself isn't evil, but to me, Nazism has a stench that no amount of class can cover. I'd still regard this car as Seriously Uncool on principle.
I knew it. :D
"ZOMG TEH COMMIES!", now "TEH NAZIS!".
Man, this is just as ridiculous as saying "Muscle cars are uncool because America starts a lot of wars".

Back