Engine: 2.6L Lagonda I6
Power:
106 hp (standard)
125 hp (Vantage)
Torque: 125 lb-ft
Weight: 1207 kg
Transmission: 4-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front engine, rear wheel drive
Additional Information: At the 1950 Le Mans race the one driven by George Abecassis and Lance Macklin finished 5th, with Brackenbury and Reg Parnell bringing another home 6th, which won Aston Martin 1st and 2nd in the 3-litre class. Across the Atlantic, Briggs Cunningham drove his DB2 to 2nd in its class at the inaugural Sebring race meeting in December 1950. The factory team cars continued racing in Europe throughout 1951, including at Le Mans, where Macklin and Eric Thompson took 3rd overall, with Abecassis and Brian Shawe-Taylor 5th.​

aston-martin_db2_1950_photos_2.jpg

5092677Aston-Martin-DB2-3.jpg

2469_1.jpg

Aston_Martin_DB2_Drophead_Coupe_1951.jpg

aston-martin_db2_in_52.jpg

Sub Zero, as it doesn't have the James Bond baggage and it looks fantastic as a period racer.

Not as pretty as the DBs that appear later but I'll be a idiot to say it's not Subzero.

An Aston from the days before they made good looking cars, so it's only going to be car nerds that take any interest.

Got to go meh on this one. It doesn't look magnificent compared to other 50's grand tourers, and the horsepower numbers are lower than I had hoped.

Lovely cars. Surprisingly big in person (hence 1200 kilos), but very pretty. I prefer the DB2/4 MKIII but this still slips into SZ for me.

One of those rare exceptions, where you'd still look almost unapproachably cool stepping out with the numbers and silly grille still in place.

Not the prettiest car of its era or the marque's history, but an easy SZ nonetheless.

James Bond only makes cars more cool and iconic. It wouldn't be in the icebox without Bond.

Hey, take it up with defenders of cool wall scientific facts.. I was just making an observation ;)

edit: also observed that any Aston driven by Bond James Bond is voted Cool or Higher.

edit II: The Ford Mustang Mach 1 gets a cool, the Toyota 2000GT gets a SZ, Lotus Esprit S1 gets a SZ, and the Z8 got a Cool..

... as far as scientific car facts go, I think it's pretty shaky.

edit III: And just to be sure... James did apparently drive an Aston Martin DB 2 in the original Goldfinger novel... though to be fair that was a DB2/4 Mark III..

Last edited:
If I'm honest, I'm not a fan of the looks, but I wouldn't kick it out of my garage.

Also, the third picture reminds me of a stripper with taped nipples.

Cool, but only just.

So, do these comments imply that James Bond makes cars less cool?
I still think Bond cars are very cool, it's just that fanboys glorify such cars more often than non-Bond cars, which makes Bond cars a tad less cool than non-Bond cars.

Not as pretty as the DBs that appear later but I'll be a idiot to say it's not Subzero.
Not sure, whilst it is a bit of a cliché it is what cool is based on I thought.

either way im still voting SZ for this.

Anything related with movies/TV will make cars uncool/seriously uncool. Scientific fact of car life.

I still think Bond cars are very cool, it's just that fanboys glorify such cars more often than non-Bond cars, which makes Bond cars a tad less cool than non-Bond cars.

Interesting.

I guess I can play devil's advocate on the subject of movie cars and their coolness. Like @MatskiMonk brought up, the DB5 (literally the most iconic Bond car) made it into the ice box, and I feel it deserves to be there. At the same time, I can't look at the first generation Vanquish without thinking of Die Another Day, so that does cast it down further than where I'd put it, had that movie not been made.

I wonder if movie popularity affecting car coolness has a correlation with how good the movie was.

Hey, take it up with defenders of cool wall scientific facts.. I was just making an observation ;)

edit: also observed that any Aston driven by Bond James Bond is voted Cool or Higher.

edit II: The Ford Mustang Mach 1 gets a cool, the Toyota 2000GT gets a SZ, Lotus Esprit S1 gets a SZ, and the Z8 got a Cool..

... as far as scientific car facts go, I think it's pretty shaky.

edit III: And just to be sure... James did apparently drive an Aston Martin DB 2 in the original Goldfinger novel... though to be fair that was a DB2/4 Mark III..

Those cars are cool despite being Bond cars, not because of it. I'm not saying 'Every car that appears in a Bond film is uncool' - the Bond production team definitely knows how to pick a cool car* - but I am saying they'd be way cooler if they weren't.

*Apart from the DB10, which is awfully, awfully uncool by virtue of being created for a Bond film.

Back