GTP Cool Wall: 1952 Morris Minor Series II

1952 Morris Minor Series II

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
United States
Wasilla, AK
1952 Morris Minor Series II nominated by GT Pro

morris-minor-series-ii-in-1952-the-morris-minor-was-given-the-803cc-ohv-quota_1275d.jpg

Stats:
Production: 1952 (this model was produced through 1956, but only 1952 is included in the nomination)
Style: 2-door coupe, 2-door convertible, 2-door wagon (Traveller), 2-door pickup truck, 2-door box van, 4-door sedan
Engine: 49 ci/803 cc naturally aspirated OHV I4 (rated 30 HP & 40 lb-ft)
Transmission: 4-speed manual
Layout: Front-engine, Rear-drive​

My take? You can probably guess. It's dumpy-looking and pathetically slow. Figure it out.

Last edited:
Dumpy? The damn thing is adorable! The thing has so much charm, too! I'll give it a cool.
Additionally, not every car needs to be fast, it wasn't built for that. It'll get you around town and out on the road with ease, and this car doesn't need any more than that to be entertaining.

I'd much rather own an original Mini or Mini Cooper, but hey, this is still a pretty neat little thing.

Last edited:
Horrendously, seriously uncool. The original Mini is one of the best British cars. This is just pathetic.

A guy had one where I used to work. It was full of crap inside, you could start it up and then take the key out. It was really loud for such a little car as well. Plus a lot of hipsters buy them because 'they want to be so different from the mainstream'.

The only good thing going for it is that it's fairly practical and it doesn't look massively offensive. Meh.

Britains post-war 'peoples car' in other words, Britains VW Beetle. As with the Beetle, Meh.

Uncool.

Hugely significant car and as the Tiff video above shows, capable of having fun. But despite being a Brit I can't deny that most British stuff from the 1950s (Mini and more exotic stuff like the MGA or Jag D-Type aside) is depressingly austere. And austerity is rarely cool.

Not at all surprised to see people missing the point and condemning its performance though.

You just need to look at the picture and see the type of person this car appeals to. It had it's day, which was 50 years ago. Uncool.

Very uncool. Even when I was little (30 years ago) this was a car for mad-old-spinster-cat-lady to drive down single lane roads at 6 mph... and for some reason, although it's not especially ugly, I've always hated the styling.

+10 for Stiffy getting it sideways though, also... massive thin steeering wheel :D

.. but still, seriously uncool.

Uncool.

Hugely significant car and as the Tiff video above shows, capable of having fun. But despite being a Brit I can't deny that most British stuff from the 1950s (Mini and more exotic stuff like the MGA or Jag D-Type aside) is depressingly austere. And austerity is rarely cool.

Not at all surprised to see people missing the point and condemning its performance though.

This 👍

With a few exceptions, the 50's, 60's and most of the 70's were a bleak period period in the British car industry.

Seriously uncool, whenever I see one of these, I picture an owner in his 70s with a beer belly.

Meh, this car doesn't really have anything going for it for me. (Not hating on the performance though.)

Though I do like the Rovers you see in the background.

Depends on the context, I guess. These are very rare in here and treated as proper collector cars. Cool little thingies.

'Sides, old cars are cool

I'll take my three wheeler to work. Probably faster too.

However I somewhat like the look, so meh. Though if I saw one on the street the old school styling would definitely turn my head, but at a distance I'd probably think it was just some Beetle.

Always saw the Minor as the default British classic which was - overall - very average (The 1000 in particular).

Not a cool car by any stretch, but not the least interesting British vehicle from that era.

Engine: 49 ci/803 ci naturally aspirated OHV I4 (rated 30 HP & 40 lb-ft)
O.O

I'm sure you can go some way to getting those stats with a few simple mods. :P

7257911584_37e024ffaa.jpg

The classic car of the hipster.

A guy had one where I used to work. It was full of crap inside, you could start it up and then take the key out. It was really loud for such a little car as well. Plus a lot of hipsters buy them because 'they want to be so different from the mainstream'.

The only good thing going for it is that it's fairly practical and it doesn't look massively offensive. Meh.

I've never heard of this car being popular with hipsters, I guess because I don't live where these were made and they probably sold best in the U.K. too. How true is that? Would a hipster deliberately go out of their way to own one of these even if a car that was much better could be had for less just to not be 'mainstream'? Because I like these things, but you can certainly do better.

In the UK, there's certainly a slightly higher hipster population by proportion amongst classic (pre-1973) car owners than in genpop, but hipsters tend to go for certain models amongst classics. These are, in no particular order, the Morris Minor, the BL Mini (not enough money to go for BMC and Rover's too new), the Volkswagen Beetle (no offence, Church Camp) and the Citroen 2CV/Dyane*. Why? Because there were boatloads of them and they're a cheap way of being "different".

If they call it a Moggy too, they're so hipster they need punching so hard their home-knitted jumper falls off.

*Curiously these are also the classic models of choice for Gaia-worshipping, Guardian-reading hippies too

If they call it a Moggy too, they're so hipster they need punching so hard their home-knitted jumper falls off.
I've met a lot of hipsters that need that treatment. There are a ton of them around here, but they don't drive specific cars, just ramble on about all of these dubstep artists "that you've probably never heard of".

they're a cheap way of being "different".
I got it as a different way of being cheap :D

Incidentally, I quite like the 2CV and Dyane too, but wouldn't drive a Minor. Really though, my poverty car of choice is a Saab 96. Owners just seemed to like them too much to sell me one around the time I bought the Beetle...

Back