• Poll closed .
United States
Orange County, NY
GTP_GT916
Nii916
1956-1971 Morris Minor 1000 nominated by @PeterJB
Morris_Minor_1000_1958.jpg

Engines:
0.9L I4 (BMC A-Series 948), 1.1L I4 (BMC A-Series 1098)
Power: 948: 37 hp; 1098: 48 hp
Torque: 948: 50 lb-ft.; 1098: 60 lb-ft.
Weight: 4-door sedan: 775 kg
Transmission: 4-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front engine, rear wheel drive
Body Styles: 2-door sedan, 4-door sedan, 2-door convertible, 2-door wagon
Additional Info: "The first ever British car to sell more than one million units."​
60_Morris_Minor_1000_DV-06-SS_01.jpg

1958+Morris+Minor+1000+2+Door+Saloon+Sedan+5.jpg

morris-minor-1000-traveller-42-fj-31rwt-346-m.jpg

morris-minor-series-ii-in-1952-the-morris-minor-was-given-the-803cc-ohv-quota_d99f7.jpg

1956-minor-1000-31.jpg
photos_morris_minor_1962_1.jpg

65-Morris_Minor_1000_DV_07_BB-i01.jpg

Morris_Minor_1000_culbertson2.jpg

1971.morris.1000.traveller.arp.jpg
mbimage.php

We had one of these in the family for several years. The blasted thing hardly worked, and the doors flung open when you drove round roundabouts, but it had so much charm and character. I'll never forget the distinctive whine it made when struggling to accelerate. Sub zero.

Who drives a Morris Minor today? Old duffers. The same old duffer who bought it in 1962. If not him, this car is the wet dream of people who dress like they're Teddyboys and are obsessed with Brighton Rock and Quadrophenia even though they were still a twinkle in the milkman's eye when the Falklands war was going on. And that's before you talk about how awful the actual car is.

It wasn't cool then, it isn't cool now. It was never cool.

Seriously Uncool

Ah. British build quality in a an adorable package.

Since I am a sucker for stuff like this it has to be a cool.

Was pretty much Britain's People's Car until the Mini came along. Nowadays it tends to be driven by the same old codgers who bought them when they were new.

Uncool.

We've already polled the Series 2 Minor. So my vote won't be much different here since it's virtually the same car aesthetically. Main difference nowadays is that you're more likely to see Series 2 models in decent condition while Moggy Thous are often seen in a beater state being driven by people over 70.

Uncool.

Last edited:
I had a modified convertible all through my college years, but even I'm pushed to give it a cool. Just about does it for the memories only.

Since I am also not a person that hails from the British isles, I am a bit away from the "old codger on a Morris Minor" idea. And I won't call it seriously uncool because the only Morris I put there is the Marina. Not to mention that regardless of the old codger drivers, the Traveller is one cool estate. I say it's cool, classic British people's car that had the unfortunate timing to become the car replaced by the Mini...

A guy I used to work with had one of these.

With 4 adults inside it was difficult to comprehend how families used them to go on holidays to the beach with. Far too small and slow to do it.
Then when you went round a corner, you had to grab the nearest bit of interior trim to hold on in case you fell out or the car rolled over. The guy who owned it could actually start the car and then take the keys out of it showing it's fantastic security and build quality. Was extremely loud for a 1.1 I4 as well.

But to be fair, it never once let him down and I do admire ones that have had Rover V8s shoehorned into them great.

But alas they're not cool but not seriously so.

Technically it wasn't, the Mini was always one size class lower than the Minor. And first Morris branded Minis were called Mini Minors, so the name Mini really originates from a car with the names Morris and Minor.

Indeed. The Mini is to the Minor what the, say, Ka was to the Fiesta. Except the Mini was the breakout character of the two like Fonzie versus Ritchie in Happy Days.

Pointless trivia, some of you probably knew already.

Technically it wasn't, the Mini was always one size class lower than the Minor. And first Morris branded Minis were called Mini Minors, so the name Mini really originates from a car with the names Morris and Minor.

Guess I didn't know, thanks for clarifying that one. The Mini was the smaller brother of the Minor, but not its actual sucessor.

Maybe just because I'm in the USA, but these are always very cool to see for me. Not driven by duffers over here (I'm not sure we have those...) more by quirky types, who smile and honk (cute honk!) when they notice me taking a photo of them. Almost as cool as a kitten!

There used to be a couple of these in the village I grew up in, back then they were old cars for very old people. That was 30 years ago. My opinion hasn't changed with age... the people that had the ones I saw are now dead, ashes or one with the earth, and the cars probably are too -- or getting there at least.... infact, in 2012 I went back to the village and took a some photos of one of them..

418461_10150583112092245_1742718672_n.jpg

424507_10150583111817245_1288665098_n.jpg

430036_10150583112262245_124287015_n.jpg

Cool. Seen a few of these with SBC's in them and they are wicked.

Cool, I want one for hoonage platform. Of course, the chassis is so floppy that the glovebox opens at the meager cornering speeds it's capable of as is.. So reinforcing all the things would be in order.

Back