Engines:
0.9L I3
Power: 50 hp
Torque: 69 lb-ft.
Weight: 930 kg
Transmission: 4-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front engine, front wheel drive
Body Styles: 2-door roadster
Additional Info: "469 cars were made, 143 were exported, 8 cars went to USA. Staggering 87 mph top speed."​
Wartburg_313-Awe15.jpg

398px-Wartburg_313-DSC_0098awe.jpg

Wartburg_313-DSC_0112awe.jpg

800px-Wartburg_313_P6273498.jpg

Wartburg-2006-02.jpg

If you had told me that this is a Wartburg, I'd say "What!? Get out.". No, really. Is this a car made by the same Wartburg who made those cheap and awful sedans with smoky VW diesel engines? Because it sure doesn't look like it, let me tell you. It has this old American car feel to it, especially in that two-tone paintjob. I don't mind the fake vents on the side, or that "staggering" 87 mph top speed, I do like this car. It is elegant, and pretty, two things newer Wartburgs lack (quite a lot, actually).

I'll give it a cool, simply because it seems like that type of car that could put a smile on your face every time you saw it, parked on your driveway.

East German SL that's even rarer than the 300SL coupled with an awful nameplate and an underwhelming motor. Hmm...

I reckon anyone seeing it parked up on a street would take interest in its classic '50s styling regardless, even if it's something far more obscure than they probably imagined. A somewhat stylish, inoffensive and curious piece of Eastern Bloc engineering.

For that, I'm willing to give it a low Cool.

It looks like a knockoff of a Mercedes 300SL Gullwing. Even that I will give SZ but this.......Meh.

If I saw one at a car show or going down the road, I might look, but it won't get a second look. Plus it isn't very good looking and 87mph top speed wasn't really anything to brag about even back in 1957.

SU.

Sooo pretty (despite the resemblance to stab-happy Futurama characterbots). It could do 20mph downhill, smell of Spreewaldgurken, and come with a Stasi agent on the passenger seat, and I'd still love it. Cool.

Interesting Trivia: Here is a picture of the designer of the Wartburg, Hans Fleischer among several prototypes that never reached production and a model of the 313/1 in the front.
file.php

It's amazing that this car was produced at all. Now imagine this car equipped with a straight-six -- BMW's car production was in Eisenach before the war. Then the top speed might have been really staggering. ;)

It's an interesting car. It looks very nice and it's rare, but then I saw the specs. Regardless, it gets a cool from me.

Wasn't aware of this car, but scrapes a Sub-Zero for me. Surprisingly small engine and lack of power, unusually FWD but look at it, not seeing the gormless expression others are at all. 87 mph top speed is worthy of mention when you look at the other figures, and would probably feel like 187 in this. Great little car.

It vaguely reminds me of one of those ridiculous unobtainium powered 50s concept cars, only not a concept, and not going to shorten my lifespan.

Low cool.

Performance figures are appalling but it does look rather nice so meh it is.

Looks like they ran out of money when they got to the part to put the engine in.

Its Body is really elegant, but a .9L engine must be some kind of joke.

The engine alone makes it uncool.

Back