GTP Cool Wall: 1957-1960 Wartburg 313/1 Sport

  • Thread starter Thread starter GranTurismo916
  • 33 comments
  • 4,948 views

1957-1960 Wartburg 313/1 Sport


  • Total voters
    100
  • Poll closed .
Messages
15,456
United States
Orange County, NY
Messages
GTP_GT916
Messages
Nii916
1957-1960 Wartburg 313/1 Sport nominated by @tarnheld
1920px-Wartburg_313-1_Sportcoupe_1958_-_Flickr_-_KlausNahr.jpg


Engines:
0.9L I3
Power: 50 hp
Torque: 69 lb-ft.
Weight: 930 kg
Transmission: 4-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front engine, front wheel drive
Body Styles: 2-door roadster
Additional Info: "469 cars were made, 143 were exported, 8 cars went to USA. Staggering 87 mph top speed."​
Wartburg_313-Awe15.jpg

398px-Wartburg_313-DSC_0098awe.jpg

Wartburg_313-DSC_0112awe.jpg

800px-Wartburg_313_P6273498.jpg

Wartburg-2006-02.jpg
 
If you had told me that this is a Wartburg, I'd say "What!? Get out.". No, really. Is this a car made by the same Wartburg who made those cheap and awful sedans with smoky VW diesel engines? Because it sure doesn't look like it, let me tell you. It has this old American car feel to it, especially in that two-tone paintjob. I don't mind the fake vents on the side, or that "staggering" 87 mph top speed, I do like this car. It is elegant, and pretty, two things newer Wartburgs lack (quite a lot, actually).

I'll give it a cool, simply because it seems like that type of car that could put a smile on your face every time you saw it, parked on your driveway.
 
It looks like it is smiling but not in a good way. A painful smile.
 
Cool, because to the casual looker it looks like some classic car.
 
87 mph is staggering?

Well, the Jaguar E-Type laughs in the face of that.
 
East German SL that's even rarer than the 300SL coupled with an awful nameplate and an underwhelming motor. Hmm...

I reckon anyone seeing it parked up on a street would take interest in its classic '50s styling regardless, even if it's something far more obscure than they probably imagined. A somewhat stylish, inoffensive and curious piece of Eastern Bloc engineering.

For that, I'm willing to give it a low Cool.
 
It looks like a knockoff of a Mercedes 300SL Gullwing. Even that I will give SZ but this.......Meh.
 
If I saw one at a car show or going down the road, I might look, but it won't get a second look. Plus it isn't very good looking and 87mph top speed wasn't really anything to brag about even back in 1957.

SU.
 
It looks like it is smiling but not in a good way. A painful smile.

I'm trying to think of which of the Futurama robots the front end reminds me of. I'm going to say Calculon.
 
Sooo pretty (despite the resemblance to stab-happy Futurama characterbots). It could do 20mph downhill, smell of Spreewaldgurken, and come with a Stasi agent on the passenger seat, and I'd still love it. Cool.
 
Wow, the body shape looks great.
... Those vents aren't functional, are they?
 
Gets a cool, simply because it's so rare here.
 
Interesting Trivia: Here is a picture of the designer of the Wartburg, Hans Fleischer among several prototypes that never reached production and a model of the 313/1 in the front.
file.php

It's amazing that this car was produced at all. Now imagine this car equipped with a straight-six -- BMW's car production was in Eisenach before the war. Then the top speed might have been really staggering. ;)
 
It's an interesting car. It looks very nice and it's rare, but then I saw the specs. Regardless, it gets a cool from me.
 
Nope. Doesn't gel as a design for me and 'borrows' far too much. Gets a meh.
 
Wasn't aware of this car, but scrapes a Sub-Zero for me. Surprisingly small engine and lack of power, unusually FWD but look at it, not seeing the gormless expression others are at all. 87 mph top speed is worthy of mention when you look at the other figures, and would probably feel like 187 in this. Great little car.
 
50HP. FWD. Name of 'Wartburg'. Kind of looks nice, but meh.
 
It vaguely reminds me of one of those ridiculous unobtainium powered 50s concept cars, only not a concept, and not going to shorten my lifespan.

Low cool.
 
Performance figures are appalling but it does look rather nice so meh it is.
 
Blue clouds of 2-stroke burning oil everywhere you go!
Not so cool.
 
Looks like they ran out of money when they got to the part to put the engine in.

Its Body is really elegant, but a .9L engine must be some kind of joke.

The engine alone makes it uncool.
 
Communist ripoff of the 300SL and has almost none of the performance of it. A big, throbbing Seriously Uncool.
 
Back