United States
New York
Jahgee1124
1961-1968 Jaguar E-Type Series 1 nominated by @C-ZETA
800px-1963_Jaguar_XK-E_Roadster.jpg

Production: 1961-1968
Styles: 2 Door Coupe, 2+2 Coupe, Roadster
Engines: 3.8, 4.2 liter XK I6
Transmission: 3 speed Automatic (4 speed manual offered on the 2+2 coupes from 1966 onwards)
Layout: Front Engine, Rear Wheel Drive
Power Output: 265 BHP, 198 kW (Both engine sizes produced the same amount of power)

Wanted to vote sub zero cool, but the car is now so popular that seeing in the street is not that big of an event...

Still a cool car..

I just saw a coupe driving on the freeway last night... what a sight?!

Beautiful

Cool. I'd give it a second look. But the hood it just wayyyyy too long. I don't really care for the design as a whole but it's shiny and covered in chrome and has power. So, cool.

Oh, and it needs to lose the grandma car wheels. Those hideous.

I hate how the body sticks out over the wheels. I hate how long the hood is, and how vertical they made the windshield. It does look good otherwise, but I think it's overrated.

I don't see how this is cool at all. Old Mustangs and old Ferraris are cool. This is meh.

Cool. I'd give it a second look. But the hood it just wayyyyy too long.

You're a muscle car fan!

Plus, the car needs a long hood for a longitudinal straight 6. Same goes for the custom V12s.

You're a muscle car fan!

Plus, the car needs a long hood for a longitudinal straight 6.
Muscle car hoods aren't nearly as long as this :lol:

I don't think the hood needs to be THAT long for a straight 6.

Muscle car hoods aren't nearly as long as this :lol:

I don't think the hood needs to be THAT long for a straight 6.

This was the inside of an E-Type V12 I saw the other day. I don't think it's that disproportionate. Plus, you know very well a lot of American V8 boats have equally absurd body proportions.

10462806_10152429731106131_7472336074199844234_n.jpg

This was the inside of an E-Type V12 I saw the other day. I don't think it's that disproportionate. Plus, you know very well a lot of American V8 boats have equally absurd body proportions.

10462806_10152429731106131_7472336074199844234_n.jpg

That is no V12. XK engine Baby.

Also. Overrated cars. Horribly overrated. But having worked on them so much I now know how to keep it running. :lol:

Cool.

This is a V12, although with injection instead of carbs, but it gives the idea.

eficonv_1.jpg

V12 didn't show up until the Series 3.

Last edited:
Undeniably pretty, but I too think it's more than a tad overrated. Seeing it so often hailed as the best car design of all time and the default must-have British classic doesn't do it any favours.

A later Series 3 on the other hand doesn't suffer from it as much as the go-to Series 1. Even though I prefer the I6 engine, I consider the V12 coupe to be the coolest E-Type Jaguar produced. It just has an intimidating edge I can't get over, especially the more muscular exterior.

Last edited:
Oopsie doopsie.

Still proved my point with 6 longitudinal cylinders though.

Also. An Etype is way easier to work on than any American car. Remove the hood with 4 bolts and you can dance around on the engine.

Also, the V12 with a manual does 140kmh in second gear.

I'd say that this car is massively overrated (the Toyota 2000GT is far better looking), but then I remember how it feels when you hear someone owns one.

The hood of an Etype is also the front fenders and nose. Trust me. I've worked on both types enough to know it.

And with American cars the engine is always a bit out of reach, even though you have plenty of space around them, when you are working on a high value car you usually don't climb into the engine bay...

Sub-zero. It's just one of those cars, though I'd say the coupe is cooler than the convertible as the 'vert is a bit too likely to be "posed" in.

Series I is definitely the most beautiful too. I've driven a Series II, which is technically the better vehicle, but a few of the smaller details just aren't as pretty as those on the Series I.
Oh, and it needs to lose the grandma car wheels. Those hideous.
A rare moment we'll agree on something - wire wheels just don't work on anything after the 1940s. Gimme D-Type knock-off alloys any day on one of these.
Even though I prefer the I6, I consider the V12 coupe to be the coolest E-Type Jaguar produced.
I believe Octane magazine actually once said something to that effect, but specified that it must be one of the 50, Anniversary edition models they produced, in black. Otherwise, no-go.

Incidentally, in Octane's cool list the E-Type sat behind the Citroen SM, Buick Riviera, Aston DB5 Shooting Brake, Land Rover Series IIA, Ferrari 250 California, Mini and XK-SS. Aside from the Landy, which I just don't rank as cool as some seem to, I'd more or less agree with their list. Though I'd have found space for the Alpine A310 in there somewhere...

Last edited:
A rare moment we'll agree on something - wire wheels just don't work on anything after the 1940s. Gimme D-Type knock-off alloys any day on one of these.

Exactly. I never really understood the appeal.

So much yes.

Also, 3.8 anyday. So much smoother than the 4.2.

Last edited:
You're a muscle car fan!

Plus, the car needs a long hood for a longitudinal straight 6. Same goes for the custom V12s.

You mean like this '95 F-150?

Ford_F150_1996.jpg

That had an I-6 option, and the long hood it needed for the engine bay completely ruined it's appearance.

Back