GTP Cool Wall: 1963-1971 Mercedes-Benz SL (W113)

• Thread starter Jahgee
  • 40 comments

1963-1971 Mercedes-Benz SL (W113)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jahgee

(Banned)
United States
New York
Jahgee1124
1963-1971 Mercedes-Benz SL (W113) nominated by @GTP_Ingram
15082181184_f4028081e3_h.jpg

Engines:
2.3L I6 (M127.II), 2.5L I6 (M129.II), 2.8L I6 (M130)
Power: 230SL: 150 hp; 250SL: 150 hp; 280SL: 170 hp
Torque: 230SL: 145 lb-ft.; 250SL: 159 lb-ft.; 280SL: 177 lb-ft.
Weight: 230SL: 1295 kg; 250SL + 280SL: 1360 kg
Transmission: 4-speed automatic, 4-speed manual, 5-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front engine, rear wheel drive
Body Styles: 2-door convertible​
mercedes-benz-230sl-w113-1963-67.jpg

mercedes-benz_280_sl_5.jpg

272245_12460574_1969_Mercedes-Benz_280SL.jpg

I like the simplistic styling and clean lines..not gaudy or over the top. Cool

The thinking man's roadster. Was never as fast as the best of the best of the era (E-Type Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag, Corvette) but managed to carve out its own niche that has pretty much been unchallenged to this day. It also helps that it wasn't as ostentatious as the cars that performed better.

Cool.

Everything is great about these. The ride, the looks, the quality. Everything. Except for the price. These things are worth stupendous money nowadays. And just like the E-Type, they aren't actually rare cars. That withholds it from getting a sub zero vote.

Still cool though.

No matter what you'll look cool driving one of these. They can make anyone look cool. It's so simple an so beautiful. Very very very Cool.

But as @Dennisch said, they are stupidly overrated in terms of price though

The first one to call it a pagoda will get an e-slap from me.

These things shouldn't be driven with a hardtop.

I genuinely think this is the classiest car ever made, because it is stunningly pretty without needing to make a scene of itself.

Even cars like the Miura and 300SL - both incredibly cool cars in my eyes - seem too attention seeking in comparison to these.

The first one to call it a pagoda will get an e-slap from me.

These things shouldn't be driven with a hardtop.

Oh, it's a pagoda! "runs away"

Er, nevermind that. The car? It is really smooth design-wise. No fuss, no shouting and especially no rubber bumpers (biggest enemy of smoothness in my mind). Classic Mercs are just that kind of cars. They were advanced without shouting to the seven seas about it. Even if is the most common of classic Mercedes, the car still looks striking in my eyes. Classy and confortable.

And very, very cool.

There's only one word to describe this car: boring. Old Mercs really don't take my fancy unfortunately. Uncool

Old Mercs are always cool. Not an exciting car, but it'd turn my head.

Cool.

I genuinely think this is the classiest car ever made, because it is stunningly pretty without needing to make a scene of itself.

Even cars like the Miura and 300SL - both incredibly cool cars in my eyes - seem too attention seeking in comparison to these.
Spot on analysis, this. The W113 is very, very pretty, especially in person, but it's also quite subtle in character. It oozes class in a way no other car matches, without being at all pretentious. It's a car that looks equally at home on a rally stage, on a sunny, continental city street, or parked at a concours. It's a car equally suited to men and women. Sub Zero.

That's the most beautiful car Mercedes ever made, imho. Being this pretty while retaining a rather simplistic, no-nonsense design demands a Sub Zero, in my book.

Back