GTP Cool Wall: 1968-1970 Plymouth Road Runner

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jahgee
  • 66 comments
  • 6,546 views

1968-1970 Plymouth Road Runner


  • Total voters
    124
  • Poll closed .
Bit overdone but not enough to make it uncool.
 
Solid cool just like most muscle cars, very few are Sub Zero.
 
A solid cool for a basic, no frill muscle car. This is one for the real enthusiast, not the collectors.
 
Cooler than the Superbird. Cool.
 
Love it. Absolutely love it.
 
Sub Zero.

This car followed the original muscle car formula. It had everything you needed to go fast, and little to nothing else. Because of this, they were lighter and faster than the smaller 'Cudas.
 
What's wrong with its wheels? :sick:

Absolutely nothing. Everything wrong is in you.

Sub Zero.

This car followed the original muscle car formula. It had everything you needed to go fast, and little to nothing else. Because of this, they were lighter and faster than the smaller 'Cudas.

This. The Road Runner is, I think, the car that best represents the escence of the muscle car formula: big-ass engine in a middle-size, relatively lightweight body (yeah, I know) with several options to make it a stripped-down street brawler or a flashy street-brawler. These could be had with practically nothing but an enjgine on wheels, or with enough stuff to pair it with it's more luxurious Plymouth GTX cousin. And as such, today they don't enjoy the trailer queen status of other Mopars as Cudas or (sadly) Chargers, only the ones with a Hemi engine, but then we all knew that.

And of course, the use of the Road Runner as marketing gee-gaws made it like nothing else. And the 1970 model looks awesome. Sub Zero.
 
Very, very cool Muscle car. Only very few reach Road Runners levls of cool.
 
@Jahgee1124 If we're voting on the car @Custom878 posted in the nomination, can I up my vote to a cool? The one used in the OP is photographed so unflatteringly that I really can't give a fair opinion of it as a result.

I agree, Custom's photo really helps you get a better idea for the car, what with the improved lighting, brighter color and a more broad angle. The black Roadrunner is photographed in such a way that you can't really get a good idea of the body lines of the car.
 
One of the better designed muscle cars by Chrysler Corp. They can be pretty hit and miss.

Solid cool.
 
This. The Road Runner is, I think, the car that best represents the escence of the muscle car formula: big-ass engine in a middle-size, relatively lightweight body (yeah, I know) with several options to make it a stripped-down street brawler or a flashy street-brawler. These could be had with practically nothing but an enjgine on wheels, or with enough stuff to pair it with it's more luxurious Plymouth GTX cousin.
I'd say the Duster fits the bill even better, particularly since Plymouth just stopped building it when it couldn't be a performance car anymore (as opposed to immediately being used as a sticker package on the Fury or... Volare...).
 
Very cool car. Very understated for a car with a powertrain that is matched with the opposite of cool. Looks fantastic in that purple I might add too.

Sub Zero.
 
I'd say the Duster fits the bill even better, particularly since Plymouth just stopped building it when it couldn't be a performance car anymore (as opposed to immediately being used as a sticker package on the Fury or... Volare...).

Wellllllllllllyeh but the Duster is kinda a more compact car, and well, it never offered a big block. They could be pretty damn fast cars, but they never had the power aura of thee Road Runner because leuss cubic inches.
 
I would be breaking my own heart if I didn't give this baby at least a Cool, but I'm going Subzero.
 
I'd say the Duster fits the bill even better, particularly since Plymouth just stopped building it when it couldn't be a performance car anymore (as opposed to immediately being used as a sticker package on the Fury or... Volare...).
They just waited a while before dusting off the nameplate (ha!) to drag through some mud.

002.jpg
 
Wellllllllllllyeh but the Duster is kinda a more compact car, and well, it never offered a big block. They could be pretty damn fast cars, but they never had the power aura of thee Road Runner because leuss cubic inches.
Who says you need a big block though? Sure cubic inches are always cool, but even the small blocks by most world standards, displacement wise that is, are ENORMOUS.
 
Who says you need a big block though? Sure cubic inches are always cool, but even the small blocks by most world standards, displacement wise that is, are ENORMOUS.

Muscle car talk taking place here son. Anything under 383 cubic inches will be laughed at on the spot. Thanks for your comprehension.
 
Muscle car talk taking place here son. Anything under 383 cubic inches will be laughed at on the spot. Thanks for your comprehension.
I don't know about you but I'm pretty sure these days most people know better than to mess with small blocks just as much as a big block.

30 years ago? You'd be laughed at for sure 👍
 
Since I'm a huge muscle car fan. Instant subzero.
 
'Merica, But in a good way. Sub-Zero. I require a 383 and Hurst shifter though.

I don't know about you but I'm pretty sure these days most people know better than to mess with small blocks just as much as a big block.

It's real easy to mess with both small blocks AND big blocks, just get an engine smaller than 3.0L (preferably from Japan), with at least 1 "decent sized" turbo on it. :mischievous:
 
It's real easy to mess with both small blocks AND big blocks, just get an engine smaller than 3.0L (preferably from Japan), with at least 1 "decent sized" turbo on it. :mischievous:

Oh look, it's 1998 again! BURN TEH IMPORTS WITH TORQUE!

Please.
 
but even the small blocks by most world standards, displacement wise that is, are ENORMOUS.
Yes, it's funny to me how 5 or 6 litre engines are called small blocks.
 
Yes, it's funny to me how 5 or 6 litre engines are called small blocks.
Because in America, we typically go by the physical size of the engine block instead of by displacement. Although most modern V8s are considered small blocks. Though some people go on bore spacing, but that's more complex and I won't get into that.

For example, a 5.0L 302ci V8, the old one, not the modern Coyote, is actually quite small despite it's big displacement. For comparisons sake, it's only 18 3/4" wide, 27" long and 20 1/4" high including the oil pan. If you laid out a tape measure, you'd see it's really not that big.

Now in comparison to a 7.5L 460ci V8 (which dimensionally is not the largest but it's up there) is 32" long, 26" tall and 26" wide. If you laid that out, that is a MASSIVE dimensional difference.

But being that those are overhead valve configuration engines, they are more compact than say the modular overhead cam engines that replaced them (however the Coyote 5.0 slightly remedied this). With less displacement, a 4.6L 281ci V8, it was 28" long, 26"-28" tall and up to 30" wide. Much larger than a big block yet with less displacement and every bit as heavy. Pushrod engines are ridiculously more compact.

Just for comparisons sake, here's an old school 302 5.0L next to a DOHC 4.6L. (To be fair neither of these engines in this picture are completely finished being put together). I couldn't find one next to a 460 though. The 302 is the engine on the right.

IMG_5356.jpg
 
@Slash Thanks for the explanation, makes sense 👍

That picture really shows how much engines have grown over the years. Just like the cars being powered by them.
 
'Merica, But in a good way. Sub-Zero. I require a 383 and Hurst shifter though.



It's real easy to mess with both small blocks AND big blocks, just get an engine smaller than 3.0L (preferably from Japan), with at least 1 "decent sized" turbo on it. :mischievous:

Banned members coming back. :rolleyes:
 
It is one of my favorite Muscle Cars of all time. I gave it a high cool for similar reasons to what people have said in this thread so far.
 
Back