1968-1973 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona nominated by NoobMan DS

ferrari-365-gtb4-1_600x0w.jpg

Stats

Production

1968-1973

Styles
2-door coupe

Engines
Tipe 251 268 ci/4,390 cc naturallly aspirated DOHC V12 (rated 352 HP & 319? lb-ft in European spec, unknown in slightly lower-compression U.S. form, though I suspect 347 & 319 as that's what Automobile-Catalog lists for both of them - however 347 HP is also 352 PS...)

Transmissions
5-speed manual

Layouts
Front-engine, Rear-drive

Related
Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona Speciale
Ferrari 365 GTS/4 Daytona

Trivia
The car seemed to be featured in a lot of media as the stereotypical "cool, expensive foreign car" owned by the upwardly mobile.

My Take
Sub Zero, not gonna bother explaining.

EDIT: Yes! You can finally add a poll to an existing thread!

Never thought the 365 was overly cool, but it's a more realistic and accessible (if that makes sense) than other more cooler and artistic pieces before it and some after it. Though the fact that it always had the Lamborghini comparison look alike looming over it, was never a cool factor to me, and so I'm at a meh.

Cool from me. As amazing as the Daytona is & even did fairly well in motorsports, I just can't vote this at Sub-Zero with the 250 GTO. It's a beautiful car & is highly praised from the Ferrari community, but it's just under the SZ line, imo.

Sub Zero. Classy italian FR GT cruiser before they became overweight technology laden showpieces, and beautiful mix of angular 70's look and softer, classic 60's lines.

Uncool because Ferrari. The name and the rich snobbery image associated with it is too long of a shadow for any car to escape. No matter how great it is. And there are far greater Ferraris than the 365 GTB.

Cool. Awesome Ferrari, from an era when Ferraris were really cool.

Uncool because Ferrari. The name and the rich snobbery image associated with it is too long of a shadow for any car to escape. No matter how great it is. And there are far greater Ferraris than the 365 GTB.
Except like the GTO, this was made in an era before the snobbery image was associated with Ferrari & still remains one of the models exempt from that stereotype....

Cool from me. As amazing as the Daytona is & even did fairly well in motorsports, I just can't vote this at Sub-Zero with the 250 GTO. It's a beautiful car & is highly praised from the Ferrari community, but it's just under the SZ line, imo.

Perfectly put. I agree on all counts. Cool for me as well.

An easy SZ. This particular one is borderline just cool. Front engined V12's should never be rosso corsa. A plexiglass front and 9" rears would make it a high SZ.

If only the current Ferrari GTs were even half as cool as the Daytona. Even the last properly cool front engined V12 Ferrari (456) couldn't compare to it.

Sub Zero.

Never truly understood the love for the 365.

Looks wise, it's nice enough, though compared to previous generations of front engined Ferrari's, it lacks curves.

Everything I've read in relation to how they drive isn't very complimentary - testers tend to be diplomatic (given it's someone else's pride and joy, has a strong 'reputation', and is worth a fortune), but they come back to the same 2 key points in every article I've read - the steering is VERY heavy and the car itself feels heavy to drive.

As for all vintage/classic Ferrari's, it's still a solid cool (when not in 'look at my penis' Rosso Corsa), but IMO, the reputation would seem to outweigh the reality.

I'd much prefer a Dino (not in Rosso ;)).

Classic V12 Ferrari GT cruiser, and it's called Daytona.

Sub Zero all night long.

Uncool because Ferrari.
While I'd agree with you normally, this car comes under the umbrella of Randall Raines' little rant - though he was talking about the 275 GTB.

Kicked down a little to Cool simply because this is one of those crossover Ferraris that falls between the stools of classic and well-known enough to be a collector's piece.

Cool, when I see this car I usually imagine it cruising along a seaside highway. Then again most classic Italian cars have that 'feel' to them.

It's cool. I don't like the front-end styling but it is a classic Ferrari.

The one guy who voted uncool has "GTB" in his name.

Low Sub Zero. In my opinion it's one of the nicest looking Ferraris that isn't a stereotypical mid engined silly Ferrari but more of a luxury but still fast enough Ferrari with a V12.

To the Ice Box! This is possibly one of the greatest Ferraris ever made, and it's a great car to drive!

Sub freaking zero, this needs to be in the ice box. A nice design on it, one of the ferrari's I'm in love with. And aslong there is no automatic, we're talking real business.

And @SagarisGTB you point doesn't make sense. It's uncool just because it's ferrari and there's better ones than this? Sure, that's true there's better ferrari's but...Uncool is too 🤬 harsh. So, I don't think I should take your opinion seriously, I'm sorry.

Though as for examples of Ferraris, there the mightys F40 and F50...many others.

I don't know if I could explain why, but front-engined Ferraris aren't as cool to me as mid-engined Ferraris. However, a '60s-'70s Ferrari with pop-up headlights and a V12 is still cool.

Sub-Zero. Even someone who knows nothing about cars could see this thing just oozes class. It's also one of the best looking cars of all time in my opinion and sounds marvelous. It's on the very short list of dream cars for me.

Back