GTP Cool Wall: 1968-1973 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona

  • Thread starter Thread starter White & Nerdy
  • 86 comments
  • 7,729 views

1968-1973 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona


  • Total voters
    120
  • Poll closed .
I don't like vintage cars, but cool because Ferrari.
 
Voted Meh.
Would be cool but I don't particularly care for the appearance. It's a bit bland imho and while I'm sure it has many great attributes at the end of the day I always have a soft spot for good looking Ferraris, not so much here. :indiff:
 
I never liked the way the Daytona looked... It lacks Ferrari-ness for me. It's still a pretty cool car, I mean, great V12 (fastest car in the world back then), it was pretty good at motorsports and it's an astonishing bit of GT. Do I like the way it looks, no, but that doesn't take the coolness out of it.
 
Racing version (Competizione) is cool too in my book. I like the fixed headlights.
ferrari-365-gtb4-competizione-7.jpg
 
I've never been a huge fan of the Daytona. Not sure why, but it's never struck me as a cool car in comparison to things like the 250's, or even the classiness of the 456. People talk of it being "before the heavyweight years", but this was the heavy Ferrari when it came out. Not just normal heavy, but full-on, Elvis-eating-PB-and-banana-sandwiches stage of Ferrari's life heavy.

It can't get a Meh of course - I'm still giving it a (low) Cool, on the basis that it appears in darker, more suitable colours. But it's one of those vehicles that I've never understood the fascination for.
 
INot just normal heavy, but full-on, Elvis-eating-PB-and-banana-sandwiches stage of Ferrari's life heavy.

:lol:
 
This isn't cool? Even with the help of Two cool ED musicians? (though that was a 412)
I find it cool, especially in black with daft punk inside, but most people don't.
 
Sub zero cool for me... i am drooling just looking at it...
 
Read the following and consider who is saying it:

It's the only car I'd take over a muscle-car/hot rod without even thinking.

Sub freaking zero.
 
The 412 is very cool if you remove all of the Ferrari badging from it.
 
Are you sure?
Perhaps I should have added "as a rule". Though even the 412 has improved with age. If someone said "pick an old car to tour Europe in" it'd be fairly high on the list.
 
The coolest Ferrari ever.

Listen to the competizione variant:





No equal. NO EQUAL.
 
Cool.

It was the beginning of when the styling started to get bloated though, much prefer the 330.
 
SZ. I love those wheels so much.

...and it's a great car to drive!
What? By most accounts this thing drove like a truck. I found a quote in an issue of Hemmings Sport & Exotic Car about it:

"That was the hottest and loudest car I ever drove. It burned off the right side of my driving shoe. But what a beautiful sound. The Ferrari ran like jack the Bear, but it also handled and stopped like the Queen Mary." - Tony DeLorenzo, who co-drove a Daytona with Chuck Reynolds at the Watkins Glen Six Hours in 1974.
 
It's got the Clint Eastwood squint down pat.

ferrari-365-gtb4-daytona-spyder.654x436.Mar-04-2012_16.19.06.534609.jpg


Annoy it, and it'll give you the crazy-eyes.

ferrari-365-gtb4-daytona-spyder.654x436.Mar-04-2012_16.19.06.167913.jpg


You don't want to know what happens after the crazy-eyes.

-

Oh, Sub-zero.
 
1968-1973 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona nominated by NoobMan DS

ferrari-365-gtb4-1_600x0w.jpg


Stats

Production

1968-1973

Styles
2-door coupe

Engines
Tipe 251 268 ci/4,390 cc naturallly aspirated DOHC V12 (rated 352 HP & 319? lb-ft in European spec, unknown in slightly lower-compression U.S. form, though I suspect 347 & 319 as that's what Automobile-Catalog lists for both of them - however 347 HP is also 352 PS...)

Transmissions
5-speed manual

Layouts
Front-engine, Rear-drive

Related
Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona Speciale
Ferrari 365 GTS/4 Daytona

Trivia​
The car seemed to be featured in a lot of media as the stereotypical "cool, expensive foreign car" owned by the upwardly mobile.

My Take​
Sub Zero, not gonna bother explaining.

EDIT: Yes! You can finally add a poll to an existing thread!
Sub zero, if you need an Explanation, just look at it and it's specs again.
 
Very low cool. I really don't care too much about this Ferrari. Maybe I should've voted for meh?
 
Needs to be blue with wire wheels.

NO! Ferraris are red, this one should be Rosso Metallizzato. I have one in GT6 in that color, and it is gorgeous.
 
If you're going to argue about colours for Ferrari, red isn't the proper colour for them. They're supposed to be yellow, red is there racing colour.

EDIT: Nevermind, I guess I thought that was true but just read and found out that it isn't.
 
NO! Ferraris are red, this one should be Rosso Metallizzato. I have one in GT6 in that color, and it is gorgeous.

Nonsense. That is like saying that all American cars need a V8.
 
It's definitely something special and these days also expensive.

In terms of a front engined GT car from Ferrari, it's one of if not the best ones they built in my opinion.

A quick google search also brought up a black 'shooting brake' Daytona which I personally think looks amazing. :drool:

My vote? Sub-zero. :D
 
Back