1969 AMC AMX 390 "Go Pack"

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
United States
Wasilla, AK
1969 AMC AMX 390 "Go Pack" nominated by Slashfan

69amx%20006.jpg

Stats:
Production: 1969 (also built in 1968 & 1970, but those were not included in the nomination)
Style: 2-door coupe
Engine: 390 ci/6.4L naturally aspirated V8 (rated 340 hp & 425 lb-ft SAE gross, or 420 & ??? in "SSC Factory" form)
Transmission: 4-speed manual, 3-speed "Shift Command" clutchless manual/auto combination
Layout: Front-engine, rear-drive
Related: AMC Javelin​

My take? A pretty solid cool. One thing, though: the Shift Command transmission is placed here much as described by Slashfan, but, now that I've looked it up, I can't find anything to distinguish it from any current automatic transmission, or call it a manual/automatic hybrid.

I always loved the AMC muscle cars even though they didn't get much love back then and this with the Javelin were my favorites, sub zero for me.

It's not pretty, it was overshadowed when it was new and is still flying under the radar today. It's also a true to the core American muscle car with a big V8, that's very different to the norm, quite rare and just plain sub zero.

Let's break it down.
Oh my, nothing's cooler than quoting model years!
Except three letter names. You can just feel the cool! Who needs an evocative name like Pagani, Chevrolet or Lancia when you could have... Eh-emsi!
Oh! A three letter model name too. And with such history!
And three numbers! Because having a car name that looks like an idiot's username or a bad password is the height of cool.
"Go Pack"
Don't stop! List some more factory options for me! I want to know what kind of seats it has!

At this point my English-to-sarcasm translator burst.

Judging a car based on its name is like judging a book by its cover.
And we all know what that is.

I voted meh, I don't know a whole lot about it other than it's a muscle car, which gives it some points.

Seriously uncool. I don't find much from America around that time period to be interesting or anything I would say is cool. Plus being a "muscle" car brings it down overall for me.

Let's break it down.Oh my, nothing's cooler than quoting model years!Except three letter names. You can just feel the cool! Who needs an evocative name like Pagani, Chevrolet or Lancia when you could have... Eh-emsi!Oh! A three letter model name too. And with such history!And three numbers! Because having a car name that looks like an idiot's username or a bad password is the height of cool.Don't stop! List some more factory options for me! I want to know what kind of seats it has!

One can't help but wonder how any BMW would fit under this post.

Sub Zero.

AMC was always known for making cheap, reliable, basic transport. This (Along with the Javelin & SC/Rambler) proves they could make a pretty sweet muscle car as well.

One can't help but wonder how any BMW would fit under this post.
Generally pretty poorly. I can't think of any reason to read "BMW 535d BMW Infotainment Pack" and think cool.

Names that are evocative of something get a bye - they made the M means something. But alphanumeric soup doesn't otherwise stir the loins.

Names that are evocative of something get a bye - they made the M means something. But alphanumeric soup doesn't otherwise stir the loins.

Not everyone has the same taste in cars as you do. Just because you like M cars and don't care for muscle cars doesn't mean that no one else has the opposite opinion. If everyone had the same taste in cars, then the car world would be a pretty damn boring place.

And something like "AMC" is pretty evocative in America - and even other parts of the world. AMC's are extremely popular cars.

Not everyone has the same taste in cars as you do.
Really?!
Just because you like M cars and don't care for muscle cars doesn't mean that no one else has the opposite opinion.
I don't like M cars all that much. I can only think of two that interest me.

Muscles cars, on the other hand, I love.

So what now?
If everyone had the same taste in cars, then the car world would be a pretty damn boring place.
Or indeed anything. But this is just as empty a sentiment as your first sentence - given that the whole point of the voting on these threads is exactly that.
And something like "AMC" is pretty evocative in America - and even other parts of the world. AMC's are extremely popular cars.
Great. To many people "1969 AMC AMX 390" is alphanumeric soup that's about as interesting as a wet potato.

But then if everyone had the same taste in cars, then the car world would be a pretty damn boring place. See the irony of posting to object to my opinion?

I think it's kinda neat to see a "muscle car" with such a short wheelbase. I don't dislike the larger second gen Javelin AMX evolved into either. Aside from that, I know nothing about it other than it's a slightly more compact muscle car with seating for two.

Don't stop! List some more factory options for me!

"Go Pack" isn't a factory option. It's a blunt command!

To many people "1969 AMC AMX 390" is alphanumeric soup that's about as interesting as a wet potato.

Go with Rambler AMX 390.

Less soup. More British walking organisation / Russian search engine.

American muscle cars get a cool, but this barely gets it.

I prefered the Javelin to this one.

Not ugly nor cool... it's a solid meh for me...

Same, there are much cooler muscle cars out there, I never cared much for AMC. But I can't vote anything from the 60's with a big honkin' V8 uncool, because it just isn't...IMO.

AMC = American Motors Corporation....

The fact that this was built by AMC for the sole purpose of taking out the Corvette is awesome. They intentionally designed it to be a 2 door car with a massive V8 under the hood and, for at the time, some of the best handling you could get any in any car, and then to top it off made it cheaper than the 'Vette. A lot of stats show it was the better car overall. Absolutely sub zero in my mind and the fact that these models, especially the '68s, are getting freakishly rare blow my mind. From the ones I've seen perform in person, they are nasty little cars.

Also, another reason I rate it sub zero is because the brand went out of business many, many years ago.

W&N, the SSC car was a factory car built by AMC for the sole purpose of drag racing (similar to how Ford built 2 Boss 429 "Lawmen" cars and the modern Cobra Jet). It produced around 425hp from what I've read, though I'm not sure about torque. In 1970 the car was good for a 1/4 mile of 10.82 @ 128mph. This is that car:

1969-amc-amx-pic-26441.jpeg

The shift command was basically an automatic with a manual valve body. Clutchless manual.

Last edited:
Back