Wasilla, AK
1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429 nominated by Slash

96541_Side_Profile_Web.jpg

Stats

Production

Styles
2-door coupe

Engines
429 ci/7,027 cc naturally aspirated OHV V8 (underrated at 375 HP & 450 lb-ft, actual output over 500 HP accourding to Wikipedia)

Transmissions
4-speed manual

Layouts
Front-engine, Rear-drive

Related:
Mercury Cougar​

Yeah, it was a revver and made no power down low due to street-oriented detuning. Do I care? Not this time. It's a hot Mustang, no automatic transmission available, and apparently very fast. Sub Zero.

Doesn't come close to the 302 in regards to coolness due in part to its Trans-Am pedigree.

Or a 1969 Mach 1. Or any of the Shelby GTs up to 1970. Or a 1970 429. Low cool.

Uncool. It's highly sought after by car collectors who are almost always uncool, it probably also lives out its days now in a garage with only seeing the light of day for "special occasions". Even if it wasn't a Barrett Jackson special, it still would be uncool since it's not a Shelby Mustang.

By my own logic, I shouldn't actually like the 429... it's a lead sled with a gigantic motor. A motor so big they had to retool the car to fit it.

The car is a straight line special boasting incredible numbers, but nobody knows for sure what it can do because it's stupidly rare and collectible and they don't get raced or beaten on all that much.

Which is totally, seriously uncool.

-

But then, I love the way that name rolls off the tongue. Boss 429. So... cool, but just barely. :dopey:

Most other 60's Mustangs would be cool, but this one in particular gets a Sub-Zero. It's one of two non-Shelby non-Saleen non-Roush Mustangs I would want to own, the other being a '70 Mach 1.

This is the type of car that knuckle-draggers like. It's a Mustang with an engine too big for it's own good.

I can't bring myself to call it uncool because I do like Ford and the Mustang, so Meh it is.

Parnelli-Jones-Mustang.jpg

It can't be Sub-Zero, it's a MURICAN muscle car. But it's one of the coolest of 'em all. A nice cool from me 👍

This is one of these cars whose coolness depends on where you are.

Somewhere in Texas or Alabama it would be SZ.

But in downtown London, Barcelona, or hell, even NYC people would think you're a massive tool if they see you in one of these. Uncool.

Parnelli-Jones-Mustang.jpg

It can't be Sub-Zero, it's a MURICAN muscle car. But it's one of the coolest of 'em all. A nice cool from me 👍

I dont get why you posted a picture of the 302 though...which is far cooler since it was a multi-purpose mustang that was a racer for the street. 429 really had nothing related to SCCA Grand Am

This is one of these cars whose coolness depends on where you are.

Somewhere in Texas or Alabama it would be SZ.

But in downtown London, Barcelona, or hell, even NYC people would think you're a massive tool if they see you in one of these. Uncool.

...I don't get this at all

I dont get why you posted a picture of the 302 though...which is far cooler since it was a multi-purpose mustang that was a racer for the street. 429 really had nothing related to SCCA Grand Am

I admit that I'm an ignorant on muscle car matters, but the reason I posted the pic was mainly beacause I associate all Boss Mustangs with the one raced by Parnelli Jones. And that makes it cool to me.

Go on, educate me on the differences, please 👍.

...I don't get this at all

Well, try to imagine this loud, flashy, obnoxious car driving through a European city, where people are used to Euro chic German and British cars with their quiet, restrained styling. It'll be as much out of place and uncool as a pink Fiat 500 convertible somewhere in redneck country.

Well, try to imagine this loud, flashy, obnoxious car driving through a European city, where people are used to Euro chic German and British cars with their quiet, restrained styling. It'll be as much out of place and uncool as a pink Fiat 500 convertible somewhere in redneck country.

You're rhetoric is quite asinine. First off I've never lived in "redneck country" and their are plenty of cars with outrageous styling old and newer that run around Euro countries (some are even made in them) and they're not looked at in the way you've described. There are plenty of places in the states that hold exotic car shows (Pebble Beach) where such cars like this are quite adored due to their history and believe it or not...styling. To chalk this up with bigotry as a "redneck" type car is quite uncalled for.

I admit that I'm an ignorant on muscle car matters, but the reason I posted the pic was mainly beacause I associate all Boss Mustangs with the one raced by Parnelli Jones. And that makes it cool to me.

I see, I was just curious is all.

Go on, educate me on the differences, please 👍.

Nah I'm to tired and down and out to really educate/teach or even argue (not argue with you in general). I just know Slash will ask you and then go on why they are vastly different. But hey if you love them for that reason and find them cool, I'm not going to judge. I tend to share your tastes and Parnelli Jones is quite cool so

The fact that it was developed for homologation purposes (when NASCAR cared about that) is cool, but being defined by an oversized and compromised powerplant is uncool. The relatively mild exterior, and it being an earlier Mustang, is cool, but supposedly underrating its power is uncool. Being properly peaky and capable of revving to 9,000RPM unrestricted is cool, but the hearsay of its untapped potential is uncool.

Meh. It's neither a cool, down-to-earth muscle car nor an uncool, overtly ostentatious one.

You're rhetoric is quite asinine. First off I've never lived in "redneck country" and their are plenty of cars with outrageous styling old and newer that run around Euro countries (some are even made in them) and they're not looked at in the way you've described. There are plenty of places in the states that hold exotic car shows (Pebble Beach) where such cars like this are quite adored due to their history and believe it or not...styling. To chalk this up with bigotry as a "redneck" type car is quite uncalled for.

Except I didn't call it a redneck car, but simply stated that it would be out of place in Europe. The thing is, the heritage and history of this car is unknown to 99% of Europeans, sort of like most Americans don't know anything about TVR or Marcos. The only thing they see is an old muscle car, which a lot of people automatically associate with rednecks (not saying that that's what it is, or that its fair) that someone took the bother to ship all the way from America just to be noticed or whatever, and IMO that's not cool.

Obviously its all relative like I said before, if you live in the States none of this is true, but since I'm more of a European guy that's what I base my opinion on.👍

Last edited:
Except I didn't call it a redneck car, but simply stated that it would be out of place in Europe.

You said a car that would probably be liked in Alabama and Texas for one, which doesn't really mean much but any person in a America could get a slight feeling where you're going. Then you further implicate by comparing a Pink Fiat 500 in "redneck country". Thus from the former to the latter one could see what your thought was on this car based on placing and then comparing cars that wouldn't be favorable in the area. Because Alabama and Texas are usually southern states that are associated with "redneck" like culture, especially by non-Americans.

The thing is, the heritage and history of this car is unknown to 99% of Europeans, sort of like most Americans don't know anything about TVR or Marcos.

Educate yourself then, rather than claim international immunity... I know plenty about those and many non-American cars and many here do cause they're car fans. Also there are plenty of Americans that don't know this car exists probably on levels with that hypothetical number you just pulled out for Europeans.

The only thing they see is an old muscle car, which a lot of people automatically associate with rednecks (not saying that its true, or fair) that someone took the bother to ship all the way from America just to be noticed or whatever, and IMO that's not cool.

So you didn't call it a redneck car but you're perpetuating the argument for how it could be one...but you didn't call it that. Yeah I can see how that could be so confused:indiff:.

Obviously its all relative like I said before, if you live in the States none of this is true, but since I'm more of a European guy that's what I base my opinion on.👍

Sure choice is very relative, the ignorance some decide to base a choice on is questionable though. Unless you're a car person (and even then not always the case), it's just an old car to most people. However, this is a cool wall for cars where those voting are usually thought to have some knowledge of the cars up for vote or at least willing to find out.

Before you respond realize I don't care about your vote, it's good you voted the way you did, the logic you have for it though...

Last edited:
Fun fact: The suspension on this car was actually better for track use than the Boss 302, despite the heavy engine.

Sub zero though. Not many 7.0L engines can spin 9,000rpm unrestricted, bone stock otherwise, for a constant amount of time, let alone be a hemi in itself. Lots of of work into this car to get the weight distribution a bit better. It had a trunk mounted battery, cut and modified shock towers, a 3/4" rear axle sway bar, and pretty much really good suspension for it's day. A really smooth riding car, and despite being pretty detuned from the factory, are bloody fast when you unleash it. Add to the fact that you couldn't even get an automatic transmission for this is even cooler.

Boss_429.jpg

Educate yourself then, rather than claim international immunity... I know plenty about those and many non-American cars and many here do cause they're car fan. Also there are plenty of Americans that don't know this car exists probably on levels with that hypothetical number you just pulled out for Europeans.

I know a fair bit about this car, and frankly, if I were to base my opinion purely on this car's history, heritage, and styling, I would probably end up giving it a Cool. However I like to base my opinion on what the uneducated majority thinks. You can disagree with that but they're the ones that form trends, they're the ones that you'll encounter the most while out driving this car, they're the ones who will judge it the most. Getting showered with compliments at a car show is nice, but it doesn't mean much if the second you drive out in the real world everyone starts looking at you like you're some kind of weirdo. Educated car enthusiasts are a small minority and we tend to be quite uncool ourselves.

So you didn't call it a redneck car but you're perpetuating the argument for how it could be one...but you didn't call it that. Yeah I can see how that could be so confused:indiff:.

I'm trying to explain to you how some people can see this as a redneck car. However I haven't called it one myself, since I don't see it as such.

You mean like this?

Note all the smiles on peoples faces :lol:

This is not a Boss 429 in the video BTW.

I know a fair bit about this car, and frankly, if I were to base my opinion purely on this car's history, heritage, and styling, I would probably end up giving it a Cool. However I like to base my opinion on what the uneducated majority thinks. You can disagree with that but they're the ones that form trends, they're the ones that you'll encounter the most while out driving this car, they're the ones who will judge it the most. Getting showered with compliments at a car show is nice, but it doesn't mean much if the second you drive out in the real world everyone starts looking at you like you're some kind of weirdo. Educated car enthusiasts are a small minority and we tend to be quite uncool ourselves.

If we based our opinions on the uneducated, all the cars in the cool wall would get a meh all the way down to SU because by in large, people don't care for cars like we who vote here do. For the most part from my encounters is when people see something different and nice to them they'll say it without caring what it is.

Also if you want to talk about trends since this and others in the same year/model era were the the influence for the upcoming Mustang, and it stood the test of time in looks, you'd know many people like that similarity in design. They like it in the states and they like it in Europe supposedly since it's sold quite a bit before officially going on the market.

I'm trying to explain to you how some people can see this as a redneck car. However I haven't called it one myself, since I don't see it as such.

I'm sure there are many things this car might be called, why you've decided to tell us what some may call it but then claim "though this isn't my view". Seems to be quite redundant.

Back