Engines:
3.0L V8 (Triumph V8)
Power: 145 hp
Torque: 170 lb-ft.
Weight: 1270 kg
Transmission: 3-speed automatic, 4-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front engine, rear wheel drive
Body Styles: 2-door coupe, 2-door convertible
Additional Info: "The Stag rapidly acquired a reputation for unreliability, caused by Triumph's lack of budget to properly develop the engine. As such, it didn't sell well, and fewer than 26,000 were made. As a modern car of its day, it was a flop. But as a classic..."​
Triumph_Stag_1972.JPG

1280px-TriumphStag.jpg

DSCF0005.JPG

DSCF0016.JPG

1974_Triumph_Stag_-_Flickr_-_The_Car_Spy_(20).jpg

259581-1000-0.jpg

48336b.jpg

The Stag... Now this is the case of what I like to call "Good idea, unfortunate backstory". When Triumph devised the Stag, it had all the potential to become one the finest British sports cars of its era. A cruiser with muscle, and still subtle and elegant. All the potential to become England's own Ford Thunderbird.

But then British Leyland happened. The planned Rover V8 was ditched in favor of a "home-built" one, which prompty ruined the mechanical aspect of the car, since all the Triumph V8 wanted to do was implode on its owner and cause all sorts of headaches. And of course, thanks to the poor management of BL, most cars had severe quality issues, which didn't help matters.

I can help but to feel sad when I see a Stag. Because then I think "Boy, you could've gone far in life, but then you had to be tied to one of the worst car groups on all of the United Kingdom, huh?". So, while it is a splendid designed, elegant British cruiser, I have to give this car a high Uncool. I like the car, but the whole notion that British Leyland ruined what could have been a good sports car is too much for me.

One of two default I-want-an-affordable-classic-British-sports-car choices, the other being the MGB. Meh.

Roo
One of two default I-want-an-affordable-classic-British-sports-car choices, the other being the MGB. Meh.

I'd put the Spitfire alongside the MGB before the Stag in that regard.

With its combination of sound and looks, the Stag sets itself apart from many of its British brethren at the time. Not Triumph's proudest moment, but it's an undoubtedly cool sports car in this day and age. Sort of like the '70s equivalent of a Speed Six-powered TVR.

Lovely looking cars, but saddled with 70's British Leyland build quality and an engine made of cheese.

Low cool... if running.

Last edited:
Engine sounded great, but as others have stated, it was a dud.

Italian styling never looked special, especially not in the muted BL-era mustard yellows, dung browns, clay beiges and dull greens that most seemed to come in. Uncool.

The similar looking Triumph 2000/2500 saloon looked similar and had similar power from its more reliable straight 6. The TR6, using the same 6cyl was also better looking and more sporting.

I just saw
145 hp
V8
Wat? Shouldn't it be about 250hp or something?

That's about the same as the 5ltr Ford Windsor was putting out at the time.

Last edited:
Sean Connery drove one in Diamonds are Forever. That has to count for something.

I give it a high cool, I've always liked the Stag and from what I've read the issues with the engine have been mostly sorted out today. It's a slightly quirky take on the classic British sports car, with V8 power and plenty of comfort and space.

Low cool. Would have been higher if my knowledge on these wasn't as much as it is.

These are a perfect example of how terrible cars can be build.

Luckily nowadays parts for them are of much higher quality, the engine is easily swapped for a more reliable specimen and a V8 manual is just good.

I have always liked the pseudotargathing-style greenhouse of these. Buy one, wait for it to destroy itself, swap in an LS (lol), and profit.

I have always liked the pseudotargathing-style greenhouse of these. Buy one, wait for it to destroy itself, swap in an LS (lol), and profit.

While that's an interesting idea, why not swap the engine for a Rover V8 instead? You can still get the British posh, more than enough parts to cater for it, and you can make the Stag that Triumph wanted, without the nonsensical approach of the British Leyland group. I'd say that's still a setup with potential...

While that's an interesting idea, why not swap the engine for a Rover V8 instead? You can still get the British posh, more than enough parts to cater for it, and you can make the Stag that Triumph wanted, without the nonsensical approach of the British Leyland group. I'd say that's still a setup with potential...

If I'm gonna go trough all the trouble of swapping in another engine, I'm sure as hell won't settle with a 215-inch Buick boat anchor. I'd go all out.

If I'm gonna go trough all the trouble of swapping in another engine, I'm sure as hell won't settle with a 215-inch Buick boat anchor. I'd go all out.

Fair enough. After all, if you can go modern, I guess you are entitled to make that choice. I wonder if fitting a LS would be a hard or easy task, though...

That's an awful lot of needless suffering to inflict on yourself.

Back