• Poll closed .
United States
Orange County, NY
GTP_GT916
Nii916
1971-1972 Boeing/GM Lunar Roving Vehicle nominated by @Adamgp
1280px-Apollo15LunarRover.jpg

Engines:
(4x) GM/Delco DC electric, 36-volt silver-zinc potassium hydroxide non-rechargeable battery
Power: 1 hp combined
Torque: Unknown
Weight: 210 kg (on Earth), 35 kg (on Moon)
Transmission: (4x) 80:1 Harmonic drive
Drivetrain: One motor and harmonic drive at each wheel
Body Styles: 0-door, 2-seat convertible (if you use your imagination)
Additional Info: "Four LRV's were produced at a price tag of $38 million (1971 dollars). Three were sent to and used on the moon for the Apollo 15, 16, & 17 missions. They are still up there as no attempt was made to bring them back. The 4th LRV was slated to go to the moon on Apollo 18, but the mission was canceled due to budget cuts, so it was kept as a parts car for the other 3 LRVs. Payload was 1,080 pounds (490 kg), and top speed was limited to 8-9mph."​
apollo17-lunar-rover.jpg

medium_moonbuggy.jpg

image_of-abandoned-LRV.jpg

1hp, top speed 8-9mph, but cost $38MM... SU ;)

SUBSC or SUBMC ;)

Not sure how you sensibly vote on something that's not really a car :lol:

Those seats are fantastic :lol:. Gets a cool just for that.

I'm curious what state the rovers are in after 40 years time.

7551693.jpg

To be honest, I had a pretty good laugh when I saw this nominated and then put in the queue. But to be completely honest, I'm not sure what to think on whether or not it's "cool". If this was being polled as a piece of equipment, then I'd go for cool, but I'm not so sure I can rate it along the same lines as I would with a racing car or production car.

I think I'll abstain on this one.

There was nothing in the rules to disallow this from being polled.
I've read the rules, and nothing disallows polling an ATV either, other than the numerous assumptions that it's obvious that the nominations are for cars. Technically I could nominate an old Nokia phone, if I managed to find the specs required for a nomination.

Last edited:
Possibly the most pointless vehicle ever constructed - SU
How is it pointless? There's a quote I have for people like you
"We used to look up in the sky and wonder about our place in the stars, now we look at the ground and worry about our place in the dirt"

I've read the rules, and nothing disallows polling an ATV either, other than the numerous assumptions that it's obvious that the nominations are for cars, just saying. Technically I could nominate an old Nokia phone, if I managed to find the specs required for a nomination.
You could technically nominate an ATV if you wanted to be that way.

1hp, top speed 8-9mph, but cost $38MM... SU ;)

Thirty-eight million dollars isn't so bad; it was built with by $600 hammers, $200 screwdrivers, and in between that, the workers took breaks on $900 toilet seats. It was delivered to a place without people using a risky, $500,000,000 delivery system which got terrible fuel economy.

On the other hand, it could communicate via radio and TV about 238,000 miles away.

Instruction Manual:

Image-of-lrv-deployment.jpg

Dashboard:

image_of-Stick-and-dashboard.jpg

Face it, if you said "I have a lunar rover in my garage", you now have an entourage.

Last edited:
Back