GTP Cool Wall: 1971-1972 Boeing/GM Lunar Roving Vehicle

  • Thread starter Thread starter GranTurismo916
  • 54 comments
  • 4,429 views

1971-1972 Boeing/GM Lunar Roving Vehicle


  • Total voters
    106
  • Poll closed .
Seriously uncool because it probably drove around a sound stage in Nevada

Joking of course, but still it's uncool for the same reason racecars are uncool.
 
Only cool because basic thermodynamics dictates that the temperature of a particle cannot fall below zero kelvin.
 
Last edited:
Sub Zero. It probably has highest mileage of all cars in the history of cars.
 
It was designed to expand the range of the lunar explorers, but was operationally restricted to remain withing walking distance, in case of a failure.
So... what you're saying was it was designed for an extremely specific need ("point", if you will), perhaps the most specifically designed carriage ever created, and it perfectly met that need ("point", again) even though there were reservations about its reliability that ultimately proved unfounded.
 
So... what you're saying
What I'm saying is; it was meant to expand the range but was restricted from doing so.

If it has to stay withing walking distance you might as well, you know... walk.
 
I'm aware of that from when you said it the first time. So what?

Astronauts were to keep it within walking range in case something happened that led to a failure (which didn't happen), so the astronauts in question would be at minimal risk. It was still a car designed to help explore the surface of the moon; and the Apollo astronauts proceeded to use it to help them explore the surface of the moon. On 9 different occasions. Seems like it had a pretty clear raison d'être to me. One could even say that using a vehicle specifically designed for an intended mission in a way that corresponds to what that mission was is even the opposite of pointless.

If it has to stay withing walking distance you might as well, you know... walk.
Oh. So your issue is that you don't actually know what they did with them. Gotcha.
 
This thing went to the moon. That's all.

I could send that godawful Puma thing to the moon (I'd much rather send it to the sun), and it still wouldn't compare to what this accomplished. Greatly expanding the horizons of science and space exploration is forever cool in my book.
 
One of the most important cars (in this case; 'car') of the 20th century. Can your car drive on the moon?
 
Possibly the most pointless vehicle ever constructed - SU
Pointless? This was built to drive on the moon! But I guess everybody has their own opinion, which I accept :cheers:

Strong cool for me because it is a different kind of vehicle that was actually meant to do something.
 
I witnessed Piers Brosnan and Eddie Irvine driving a replica of one of these at one of the earliest Goodwood Festivals. They looked totally stupid and utterly embarrassed. SU.
 
I witnessed Piers Brosnan and Eddie Irvine driving a replica of one of these at one of the earliest Goodwood Festivals. They looked totally stupid and utterly embarrassed. SU.

Much like watching a Pierce Brosnan Bond film (that wasn't GoldenEye), and pretty much any of Eddie Irvines career then... :D :lol:
 
It's great that this landed on the Moon and was used there. While it's a feat, doesn't exactly look good.

It's a museum piece. SU.
 
As can this...

161180104_3162750e02.jpg

Maybe we should use this car instead when driving on the moon.
.
.
.
.
.
💡
 
What do you mean, people like me?

d12b29a084c245ff9f1b3b41f5c53512355cce6d508d14fab6fe68281309f5e9.jpg


:D

It's very likely, if we ever go back, that astronauts will be taking a slightly different form of transport with them:

Corbis-42-22699103.jpg
 
Last edited:
I witnessed Piers Brosnan and Eddie Irvine driving a replica of one of these at one of the earliest Goodwood Festivals. They looked totally stupid and utterly embarrassed. SU.
Probably because no one wants to be reminded of Moonraker.

I'm not really sure what to put this as myself since there's so many conflicting points to it.
 
Space exploration is, in the grand scheme of things, cool. This, for our car cool wall, is not.

Seriously Uncool
 
One of the single most awesome automotive creations of all time and literally sub-zero. Or boiling - depends on the position of the Moon at the time.
 
I witnessed Piers Brosnan and Eddie Irvine driving a replica of one of these at one of the earliest Goodwood Festivals. They looked totally stupid and utterly embarrassed. SU.
I only liked your post because of the image that it put in my head.

In fact, I want videos!
 
SUBMB. Or rather, to me it's a utility vehicle in its purest form so coolness isn't really a factor, even using my subjective criteria. So I'll abstain from voting on this one.

This is SZ though:

medium.JPG
 
As a vehicle, I guess it's a nifty little buggy desperately in need of some body panels (let's say...Uncool), but the achievement it represents warrants a resounding SZ.

To clarify, SZ.
 
Back