GTP Cool Wall: 1978 -1984 Toyota Starlet (P60)

• Thread starter Wiegert
  • 62 comments

1978 -1984 Toyota Starlet (P60)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wiegert

Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
1978 -1984 Toyota Starlet (P60) nominated by @INEEDNAWZZZ

1979_Toyota_Starlet_(6279060466).jpg

Body Styles: 3-door / 5-door hatchback, 3-door / 5-door wagon
Engines: 1.0L I4 (2K), 1.2L I4 (3K), 1.3L I4 (4K)
Power: 47-54 hp (2K), 54-76 hp (3K), 58-74 hp (4K)
Torque: 44 lb-ft (2K), 61 lb-ft - 70 lb-ft (3K), 67 lb-ft - 78 lb-ft (4K)
Weight: 695-750 kg
Transmissions: 4-speed manual, 5-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front-engine, rear wheel drive
Additional Information: After the relatively popular Publica Starlet, Toyota decided to make the Starlet its own separate model entirely, and marketed it across the globe. The platform was known as the P60 series, with their chassis codes (KP60, KP62 and KP61) being related to their engines (2K, 3K and 4K, respectively). This was the first and last Starlet generation sold in the United States, where it saw limited success between the 1981 and 1984 model years; it was replaced by the Corolla FX. With its lightweight body, short wheelbase, reliable engines and rear wheel drive configuration, the Starlet quickly became popular with weekend racers and amateur rally drivers (particularly in Japan), and is still used in grass-roots level motorsport today.​

1979-Starlet.jpg
12gross.jpg

9fe48df62f0df38ea304bc8608051933.jpg
Starlet01.jpg
Toyota_Starlet_KP61_Sprint_(NZ_New).JPG
1981-toyota-starlet-copper-metallic10.jpg
Toyota-Starletvan.JPG
starlet-interior.jpg

Not an appealing car. The styling is ugly, and it only has 47 horsepower? Even the Chevette could do better.

Seriously uncool.

The front reminds me slightly of the Cosworth Vega front end. This car is meh, though I wouldn't mind the wagon version.

The car was cute looking at first, then scrolling through the additional images it appears this car really aged like milk...
Small engine, lightweight, small body.. But just doesn't do it for me
Uncool

I find nothing appealing. The looks are horrid. I'd rather walk. Seriously uncool.

I've developed a (healthy) obsession for 80's Japanese cars over the years. Sure, the Starlet is slow, boxy, probably junky, but something about it catches my eye. It certainly doesn't scream performance, but 690 kg is respectable. And driving the "Jetliner Silver" Starlet in GT2 made me admire it even more.

Considering the low poll results, I kind of feel a bit strange saying this, but I'll give the P60 a Cool.

Subcompact. Classic. Japanese.

But the idea of protecting the ozone layer was only in germination.

Still SZ.

1970s Japanese cars are cool by default for me; RWD and that cute wagon version are enough for Sub Zero. This is actually one hatchback that looks better as a 5-door instead of a 3-door, which is backwards from how I usually view them.

To the naked and untreined eye this is just an old can. As interesting as it might be, it's still uncool. But not seriously so, because of it's potential.

Dull and unappealing. Being RWD would normally give bonus points, but in a not especially powerful small hatchback, rear wheel drive is wrong wheel drive.

Outdated drivetrain back when it was new.

But that made it very common choice among those who wanted to use a car to gift wrap roadside trees.

They were popular too in the UK as National Hot Rod racers, but like car pictured above, they were mostly tube-frame silhouettes and therefore not really Toyota Starlet's

I've had a soft spot for it since GT2. But taking off my car-obsessed hat, this is just an old tin can. The sort you'd see spluttering to a stop in front of a girl's house on prom night in a 90's movie, complete with socially-awkward, late-twenties-but-playing-a-teen underdog behind the wheel.

Uncool.

I never had the opportunity to drive one of these. But I have driven 2 Chevettes. 1 automatic and 1 with 5 speed. Ok the manual car was a Pontiac 1000, same car though. Better than walking is a subjective term with Chevette. I doubt a Starlet would make me feel that way. I would just feel like the new kid in town on Dawson's Creek, or some other cheesy tv show. Better to feel a little embarrassed over absolute anguish any day I say.

Latest Posts

Back