GTP Cool Wall: 1980-1981 Mercedes-Benz 500SLC

1980-1981 Mercedes-Benz 500SLC

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hmm, you know its cool, but its sort of just makes it imo.

I think because it's a Mercedes, it was hopefully quite comfortable, perhaps reliable, it would've had quite effortless power and performance, a bit of prestige (if that matters to the owner). Yeah it gets away with being cool, 2 door adds to that as well.

Actually it did have a longer wheelbase than the SL, so there was more space in it for passengers. Plus it was a fixed roof coupe, so it would have less flex than the convertible.

The SL had room in the back for 5 year old kids. The SLC could accommodate 12 year olds. As long as they has skinny legs.

SL's have never been sports cars. They're cruisers. Having a stiffer shell is never going to make much difference to the driving experience. The removable hard tops on the R107 are a very solid bit of kit and certainly look better than the awkward fixed head on the SLC. The SEC was a much better looking coupe anyway.

Low cool.

Doesn't shout about itself but does have an essence of sleeperness about it. Gives off a comfortable cruiser sense but will be fairly quick.

My dad and I restored a 380SLC not too long ago:

dscf0410g.jpg

They're build with extreme quality, it's just really awkward/illogical to put together.

But they drive so smooth and solid. Ours was happy doing 200kph on the cruise control, the 500 would be even happier.

A true Autobahn cruiser, and it doesn't look bad either.

Cool.

Very solid cool. Nice, fast cruiser and it's odd how a lot of people say it looks boring or fugly, I think it looks pretty nice, definitely more interesting than the majority of modern Mercs and German cars generally. 7.5 seconds wasn't slow in 1980 by the way, even the fastest supercars of the era struggled to break under 5 seconds (thinking Countach and 512BB which were the biggest hitters at that time)

While a far cry from the ones in the OP and following posts this 500SLC AMG was one of my favourite mercs for a loooong time:

2015-01-23_11-02-00.jpg

Flared, most gorgeous V8 note and loved ripping apart the rear tyres. Even had the standard automatic and the driver was pretty damn quick too.

Standard versions are Cool. Classy Mercedes-Benz from when they still knew how to make tanks.

Back