GTP Cool Wall: 1984-1994 Peugeot 205 GTi

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jahgee
  • 111 comments
  • 12,709 views

1984-1994 Peugeot 205 GTi


  • Total voters
    141
  • Poll closed .
Hatchbacks are no more "bottom rung" than sedans. Smaller does not mean cheaper or worse.

Hatchbacks do tend to exist at the entry level of most brands.
 
Uncool. Nothing special about it, just a plain hatchback in my eyes.
 
Uncool. Nothing special about it, just a plain hatchback in my eyes.

I did offer a whole heap of reasons why this isn't just a plain hatchback here. The tl/dr of what makes it cool is a strong motorsport/rallying pedigree, they're very rare these days, they handle brilliantly and they're still more then fast enough to surprise many modern cars. Also the interior has red carpets.
 
Hatchbacks do tend to exist at the entry level of most brands.

In terms of size and price, yes this is true, but I don't think that it's fair to call them 'bottom rung' because of that. Bottom rung should be reserved for a trim level within a class, not the class itself. An LX over a GTi or an RS over a GT, for example.
 
The problem with these polls is the grey area between "is it cool?" and "do YOU think it's cool?".

In my mind, coolness is NOT subjective. Personal opinion is. Brony's think My Little Pony is cool...
 
The irony there being that Bronies tend to be very cool indeed, even while the show is seriously uncool and absolutely Haruhiawful (subjective).
 
To me, bronies are cool simply because they're prepared to sit around all day watching a show that I can't stand without feeling at all guilty about it.
 
I didn't want this to turn in to a discussion on whether Brony's are cool. It's irrelevant anyway. They aren't.
 
Agreed

Anyway, glad to see the 205 well inside the upper half of the wall.

Last time I checked its score was identical to the MkI Golf GTi, but I think a SU has popped in since then.
 
Last time I checked its score was identical to the MkI Golf GTi, but I think a SU has popped in since then.

I would take a 205 over a Golf any day.
 
One of like 5 Peugeots I truly like. Very cool car.
 
XS
I think the 205 GTi is cool. Unfortunately I can't just only factor that in. I also have to consider how I would look driving one where I live for example. And it's not so much that nobody around here would find a European hot hatch cool, as it is the "tuner" scene around here is so insanely absurd that even if the car was completely stock, most people would rather set it on fire than appreciate it for what it is. 90% of people who own a hot hatch around here are the type who literally think 5 inch coffee can mufflers add 50hp. I just couldn't drive the 205 around and not worry about being horrifically embarrassed to be mistaken for one of those people. Also, finding one in America isn't exactly easy or inexpensive. That said, I just can't vote uncool. Meh it is.

I rather like it for almost the opposite reason. In a country where Peugeots aren't uncommon, it's almost completely non-descript. Nobody takes any notice because while it doesn't look bad, nor does it shout it's name from the rooftops with fancy flares and bits. It's just an average slightly boxy car shape.

It just looks like 8 feet of car, and it happens to go like hell as well. I think that's quite cool. Also, I drove a 1.6 one many years ago and it was exactly as much fun as everyone says it is. Fantastic little car.
 
There seems to be a slight misconception here. These things used to go like hell, you know, back when they were new. Now the average diesel or even small petrol runabout will leave it looking at the rear lights. But lack of safety gear and insulation gives you a bit more thrilling ride.
 
Uncool. Nothing special about it, just a plain hatchback in my eyes.
Except it's not. And I don't see why that would make it uncool.


Maybe I complain too much.
 
Last edited:
There seems to be a slight misconception here. These things used to go like hell, you know, back when they were new. Now the average diesel or even small petrol runabout will leave it looking at the rear lights. But lack of safety gear and insulation gives you a bit more thrilling ride.

The 205 GTi looks better than any modern hatch, hot or not, though.

/subjective
 
It is actually a good car, and an absolute classic for the hatchback group... But, it just isn't cool. I mean, you have to explain to people why it's a good car, it doesn't speak for itself because it doesn't look at all out of the ordinary. It looks like a boring old granny car, and yes I'm aware that it isn't. It's actually a good car, it just isn't cool.
 
There are two kinds of people in this world: Those who have spanked a 205 GTI and those who haven't.
 
Along with the Golf GTi the 205 is one of the original hot hatches that inspired the future generations.
Yes it's a four cylinder front wheel drive matchbox, but having driven one, not many other cars are as much fun as a classic 205 GTi. For it's class, they don't come much better than this. SZ.
 
There are two kinds of people in this world: Those who have spanked a 205 GTI and those who haven't.

Why would you spank a car? :p
 
Love it. Would buy and own one if I had the chance. Cool.

(Voted during the week, I didn't have the chance to coment until now)
 
Back