GTP Cool Wall: 1986-1991 Toyota Soarer (Z20)

• Thread starter Wiegert
  • 39 comments

1986-1991 Toyota Soarer (Z20)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wiegert

Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
1986-1991 Toyota Soarer (Z20) nominated by @Heldenzeit

1988_Toyota_Soarer_2.0GT_Twin_Turbo.jpg

Body Style:
2-door coupe
Engines: 2.0L 1G-E I6, 2.0L 1G-GE I6, 2.0L 1G-FE I6, 2.0L 1G-GTE I6 turbo, 3.0L 7M-GTE I6 turbo
Power: 1G-GTE (211 hp), 7M-GTE (240 hp)
Torque: 1G-GTE (177 lb-ft), 7M-GTE (239 lb-ft)
Weight: 1510 kg (3330 lbs)
Transmission: 5-speed manual, 4-speed automatic
Drivetrain: Front-engine, rear-wheel drive
Additional Information:
In April 1989 a limited 500 unit production of the Aerocabin version was also available. This came with only 2 seats and an electric folding roof. The Aerocabin came with the same specs as the GT-Limited and were only available with the 7M-GTE engine, 4sp automatic transmission, tan leather interior and pearl paint.​

DSC_0002_zps09c96771.JPG

13129237_355763767880615_346200914_n.jpg

1988-1991_Toyota_Soarer_rear.jpg

Aerocabin:
1989-Toyota-Soarer-Turbo-AEROCABIN-2.jpg

7ef99aca-3cdd-43b7-c302-162c8681ad8d.png

toyota_soarer_16073.jpg

The execution of open top variant seems awkward, looks as if someone cut off the roof on the second to last image under additional images.

The execution of open top variant seems awkward, looks as if someone cut off the roof on the second to last image under additional images.
That might be exactly what was done. It has ASC written all over it.

It really didn't bring anything to the table that Cressida/MarkII, and Supra didn't already cover basically, so I don't really feel we missed out on anything here..

Apparently the car is displayed in multiple colours in the OP, but all I see is beige.

Uncool.

Has there ever been a cool Soarer?

No. Uncool.

And I don't know about you guys, but always find I get a much better mobile signal by reversing right to the end of a jetty at high tide.

Last edited:
So every Japanese domestic market car is uncool?

Any car segment where fans worship a car just because it was built in a certain part of the world and is fairly obscure outside of that market, is uncool. The fact that the vehicle in question is otherwise unremarkable, cements it.

So every Japanese domestic market car is uncool? Is every European car uncool due to eurosnobs? Every American car uncool due to mullets and bros? Every car is uncool!

That wasn't what was said at all.

There are plenty of JDM cars that don't have big, almost-fetishized followings. The Soarer attracts — or at least, gives off the impression it attracts — the same sort of people that place the AE86 on a pedestal. That obsessive sort of fanbase is uncool.

Any car segment where fans worship a car just because it was built in a certain part of the world and is fairly obscure outside of that market, is uncool. The fact that the vehicle in question is otherwise unremarkable, cements it.
That wasn't what was said at all.

There are plenty of JDM cars that don't have big, almost-fetishized followings. The Soarer attracts — or at least, gives off the impression it attracts — the same sort of people that place the AE86 on a pedestal. That obsessive sort of fanbase is uncool.
I've never come across anyone ever worshiping or placing the Z20 Soarer on a pedestal. Where are these people?

Also, if an obsessive fanbase is uncool, certainly it follows that most Ferraris, Porsches, Audis and BMWs are uncool, but those cars don't get the same treatment on cool wall threads.
Not sure I've ever seen someone obsess over a Z20 Soarer though. Don't think they are that popular.
Exactly. I got the impression TheCracker was was using JDM fans as rationale to demerit all Japanese market cars, which is absurd.

I kinda like the way it looks, and the Aerocabin seems pretty neat. Just a shame it got stuck with the lethargic 1G and the 7M with its poorly designed cylinder head.

Meh.

Back