Body Style:
4-door saloon
Engines: 2.5L M102 I4 modified by Cosworth
Power: 232 hp
Torque: 181 ft-lb
Weight: 1340 kg
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front-engine, rear wheel drive
Additional Information: In March 1990, at the Geneva Auto Show, the 190 E 2.5-16 Evolution II was shown. With the success of the first Evolution model, this model's 502-unit production was already sold before it was unveiled. This car retailed in 1990 for USD $80,000. The "Evo II" included the AMG PowerPack fitted to the same short-stroke 2.5 engine as the Evolution, as well as a full SLS suspension allowing vehicle ride height to be adjusted from an interior switch. An obvious modification to the Evolution II is a radical body kit (designed by Prof. Richard Eppler from the University of Stuttgart) with a large adjustable rear wing, rear window spoiler, and Evolution II 17-inch wheels. The kit served an aerodynamic purpose — it was wind tunnel tested to reduce drag to 0.29, while at the same time increasing downforce. Period anecdotes tell of BMW research and development chief, Wolfgang Reitzle, saying "the laws of aerodynamics must be different between Munich and Stuttgart; if that rear wing works, we'll have to redesign our wind tunnel." The anecdote claims that BMW did. As mentioned 500 were made in "blauschwarz" blue/black metallic. But the last two, numbers 501 and 502 were made in astral silver.​

mercedes-benz_190_e_2.5-16_evolution_ii_2.jpg
15C273_001-S.jpg
mercedes-benz_190_e_2.5-16_evolution_ii_4.jpeg
1992-Mercedes-Benz-190E-2.5-16-EVO-II-Interior.jpg

It's such an awesome looking car, but I think if it has the name "Evolution" it should have a little more horsepower.

Cool.

I think if it has the name "Evolution" it should have a little more horsepower.
Why? Because Mitsubishi? Evolution is a fairly "buzzy" word, but is often indicative of something being an evolution on an earlier version. I have a Cannondale SuperSix EVO and it has exactly the same amount of power as the standard SuperSix road bike--none.

Honestly? Meh. I'd take the "standard" W201 Cosworth over it.

Homologation model. Looks too agressive to be a Benz. It has a purpose though, I am torn on this one. Not voting yet.

Who knew big wings on the back of a luxury car could make it Sub Zero in the eyes of GTP
I'm astonished by the lack of SUBRCHS (Seriously Uncool Because Race Car Homologation Special) comments.

:P

Lose the wing and it is about as perfectly aggressive as a car can be without drawing attention. The stance is flawless. The body kit is a good fit for the car while still showing some teeth. It helps that the regular 190 was a supremely handsome car to begin with, because that's the kind of cars that can carry that sort of look with ease. GNX, AMG Hammer, 500E, 560 SEC, first generation SHO, etc. Things that look good in dark colors and ooze presence. And since the 190 was seemed a sorta buttoned down car to begin with with more chassis than power, this is probably the perfect antidote.

With the wing and it transforms into a sort of caricature of its own menace; and I have to imagine there are a lot more of ones like this:

4540645666.jpg

Then there are the real article.

What a fantastic looking machine. That it is a "Mercedes-Benz Cosworth" will always give you and your friends a wry, knowing giggle. The ridiculousness of it is noted but it just scrapes into the upper tier.

Cool

Saw one of these at a classic car show on Sunday... absolutely mint. IIRC from the time they were new, they were praised for their handling, but not really that quick.

I really like them, but that rear spoiler is rubbish.

Uncool.

I don't think many taxi companies can afford a $80,000 car.
I'm not saying that they do, and to be fair the 190E is getting old enough that the taxi-Benz stereotype has slightly worn off. But the fact is most people don't even know that the Evolution ever existed, and what they see here is a 4-door Mercedes-Benz which are very strongly associated with being taxis around this part of the earth.

Cool. Not on the same level as a non-Evo Cosworth, but it arrived at the tail end of an era where otherwise tacky adornments could meld with certain models without looking wholly unacceptable. A number of which happened to have Cosworth DNA.

Stereotypical Euro-taxi aside, the W201 is the last compact exec Merc I'd bump up to "Cool" without a second thought anyway. This just happens to add some welcome spice to the mix, if a tad excessive when it comes to certain elements.

Decided on cool. Honestly the wing is not so bad if it actually had benefits on the track. But to non car people this thing looks like any other tuner sadly.

The homologation factor sealed it. Yea, you have to explain it. But I would actually enjoy explaining this bonkers Benz.

Now if only PD would make it not drive like a brick in every game ...

Back