Transmission: 3-speed automatic, 5-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front-engine, rear wheel drive​
history-of-the-japanese-kei-car-49720_6.jpg

1992-1997_Suzuki_Cappuccino_convertible_%282011-04-28%29_02.jpg

Suzuki_Cappuccino_001.jpg

suzuki-cappuccino-on-rocks.jpg
tumblr_m55w0rbNNX1qk65n6o1_1280.jpg
L-Suzuki-Cappuccino-Interior.jpg

Tall people like myself would be forced to drive with the roof down, therefore looking stupid. Also it's named after a coffee.

Uncool.

Fun little sports car. And when I say little, I mean little. Sub Zero.

AZ-1 levels of awesomeness. Even better than it by not looking like a kit car.

Silly car. Might, and I mean might... be fun to drive in certain situations, but in no way is it at all cool. I met a guy that owned one once, about 20 years ago.. I get the whole "lightweight fun, useable performance" spiel he gave me, but he couldn't actually look me in the eye and say it, instead he looked awkwardly at the ground when he said it. Sums it up for me.

Tall people like myself would be forced to drive with the roof down, therefore looking stupid. Also it's named after a coffee.

Honestly, driving a roadster with the top up just defeats the whole point of it being a roadster. Not to mention roofless motoring is rather blissful.

Coffee is pretty cool.

I gave it a cool instead of sub-zero because I doubt I'd fit even with the top down.

UCBKC.

Seriously though, just a bit more power (90+hp) and it would be kinda neat as a sub Miata class car. In the end it's underpowered and I don't think anyone with a penis in my family would be able to fit in one.

High Reving, FR, Lightweight, economic, awesome, rare in outside japan
While yes their is only so much power you can get from 660cc and that these cars have no more than 62hp, if you can slap a turbo or supercharge on one.
It would change the game a fair bit.

It is also a troll car for me in GT6

UCBKC.

Seriously though, just a bit more power (90+hp) and it would be kinda neat as a sub Miata class car. In the end it's underpowered and I don't think anyone with a penis in my family would be able to fit in one.

If 130 odd horsepower can move a 1200kg lump of front wheel drive station wagon briskly, I'm sure 63 horsepower can move 725kg of high revving front mid-engined joy just fine.

SVX
If 130 odd horsepower can move a 1200kg lump of front wheel drive station wagon briskly, I'm sure 63 horsepower can move 725kg of high revving front mid-engined joy just fine.

Kei cars are made for the city so the gears will be closer than the average non kei car, this in turn as we all know will give more acceleration.

SVX

But why compromise on an ugly looking two-seater that you'll have to thrash the crap out of and would be terrible to live with if you did long mileage often.. when you could get a car with more power per mass and was useable as... a car also? Let's be honest, this car exists because of a specification requirement in Japan, not because of some holistic desire to make a proper fun sportscar.

The only thing this car has got going for it IMHO, is it's probably very easy to park.

Let's be honest, this car exists because of a specification requirement in Japan, not because of some holistic desire to make a proper fun sportscar.

I'd disagree with the latter. Like the AZ-1 and the Honda Beat, the design team behind this car plainly saw the Kei class regulations and set about the challenge of making them fit an enticing driver's car of sorts. It helps that the bubble economy at the time meant they could play around with their money enough to actually put it into production.

Although Kei cars, by their very definition, are born out of necessity, I would argue there is a niche for a sports car that fills that bracket. I don't know if the rules have been relaxed, but to my knowledge Kei cars are the only type of car you can own if you lack sufficient space to park anything bigger. This puts a great deal of car enthusiasts at a disadvantage, so the want for a car they can both drive aggressively but actually fit in their designated parking space would be quite high. It's a trend that seems to be making a resurgence in recent years with both generations of Copen and the new S660.

I do agree though, out of their home country and city, they are out of place. I'll give it a cool. I'm sure it's great on a fun road and it will attract attention in a positive way.

Decent sports car styling downscaled, as opposed to going overboard with the dorkiness à la AZ-1.

It doesn't beat the Beat, of course. But as was the case with the Honda, this is one of very few exceptions where a relatively modern kei car has the capacity to be cool.

Cool car rendered uncool because you'd have to tell people you drive a car called Cappuccino. Some names just don't help certain cars.

And I suppose if you're tall you would look a bit of a berk driving one, though arguably that's a car and driver combination problem rather than the car itself.

Never tried a Cappuccino but I suspect I'd fit okay. As it turns out from my recent visit to Japan, my height and build is a lot closer to the Japanese norm than it is westerners.

I'm not actually sure if the height thing is an erroneous assumption anyway. Kei cars are small, but they're also much better packaged than sprawling large vehicles with correspondingly large areas devoted to engines and luggage. I've sat in a Honda Beat before and that felt if anything larger inside than my MX-5.

Back