Drivetrain: Front engine, rear wheel drive
Body Styles: 2-door coupe, 2-door convertible​
Porsche_968_1.jpg

Porsche_968_front_20071004.jpg

Porsche-968-interior-photo.jpg

Porsche_968_rear_20071004.jpg

Porsche_968_01.jpg

Porsche_968_cabriolet_front_three_quarters_Aardenburg.JPG

By all standards, the car itself was fantastic. The ultimate evolution of a car that had always been pretty good.

But I don't think making it look so much like the restyled 928 does either car any favors, even when new.

Meh. I was so disappointed when I found out that this car had a four cylinder engine, I expected it to be a V8 and to be more related to the 928. Still a great car, but it looks a lot faster and more exotic than it is.

These things only have 4 cylinders? I'd have guessed more...

Gets a cool though, got that retro-90's style going, and "Cool car" would be exactly what I would tell the owner.

this car looks ugly from the front to the end just an uncool car ... it had an short producing history because no one wanted it .

I love these. Although it looks more similar to the 928, due to the similar lights and other cues, it was really more of a replacement for the four-pot 944. The OP is surpringly devoid of specs for some of the variations, such as the Club Sport and (very fast) turbo models. Anyways, I do love me some old FR Porsches and by all accounts these were great all-rounders. Very upper cool, nudging SZ, but not quite.

But I don't think making it look so much like the restyled 928 does either car any favors, even when new.

Combining the 944 body with 928 features both front and rear resulted in something which looks about as contemporary as the 944, but still dated compared to its 15 year old big brother.

Those changes along with the updated interior did end up giving it a decent whiff of class for an entry-level Porsche, unlike the more generic 80s sports car it replaced. I'd say that's worth a low cool.

Cool for being a Porsche. Cool for not being a 911. Cool for having that lumping 3.0 4 pot.

Seriously uncool for being slow as a turd. Could be fixed with a turbo, but those are rare as hell.

Still cool though.

I've never understood the 968, even as a huge fan of Porsche. The styling made it seem like a 928, but because it had an I4 it was really the successor to the 944, which was always produced at the same time as the 928. OF the four 20th century front-engined Porsches, it was the ugliest. Those taillights are unacceptable. It's probably my least favorite Porsche.

Uncool.

It is, however, one of the few cars in the world where the convertible variant looks better than the hardtop.

Begrudging cool.

It's a simple, rear-drive sports car that to my eyes looks pretty good, is reportedly good fun to drive. There's also a bit of a modern classic vibe going on, and it's different enough that the average joe in the street will know there's something about it without it being too shouty. Also, it could perhaps be considered a Porsche for those who like the brand for more than just the image of the 911, which implies a little more thought has gone into the purchase.

However, I can't shake the slightly yuppy-ish image from my head and while I generally like the looks, the mix of 80s and 90s features is a bit uncomfortable - the 944 it's based on is a better-looking vehicle for being a resolutely 1980s shape. Can't bring myself to vote uncool just for these two things, but they certainly drag down its cool factor.

These are the kind of cars that got dominated by the 90s Japanese Sports car Explosion.

My bet is it would of cost alot more then the 300ZX which would of dominated it.

Meh. A 4 cylinder engine with blah styling from a company who could do better. But it's still a Porsche, and a decent one. So, meh.

A 968 Clubsport or Turbo is a SZ car.

Back in the day the 968 was considered one of the best handling cars you could buy at any price and now they are close to being classics, with clubsports increasing in value significantly.

Simple, entry-level Porsche with great looks at a time when the 911 was in terminal decline as a cool car.

Cool

I'm going with uncool. I like them plenty, to the point where I've always liked the idea of owning one, but I always get the impression that the 968 is the car of choice for...

ThatGuy.jpg

That Guy!

Simple, fun driver's car that you could cruise with everyday, and still could now. Has quite the exclusivity factor over a 944 and loses a lot of that car's 'generic 80s coupe' lines. Also has a 928-esque front end and one of the best looking rears on a car I've personally seen, both of which make it very cool to me.

Sure, they probably had a clientele of yuppie types when they were new, and they were a tad slow - even for the period. Despite those points, it is one of the first examples that comes to my mind when you say 'sports car'. Not drastically showy but still enough to turn heads, relatively powerful but not overkill, good looking and well sorted. Very high cool.

I reckon it's a cool car. I mean it's not a 911 to begin with an to me joins the best of both 928 and 944 worlds. CS or Turbo versions are even cooler due to rarity

Back